HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jeff Skinner Extension 6 years AAV of $5.725M

Old
08-07-2012, 10:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Who is Cindy? Is that supposed to be some derogatory name for the best player in the league? I don't mind Skinner mirroring that sort of player.
Are we in the wayback machine? It's no longer 2010. $5.7 per....wow...stiff contract to swallow.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Who is Skinner's agent? This has to be the best deal he's made in his career.

Skinner has 107 career points, and had no leverage since he's not a RFA until next season. Rutherford is a moron, but people who have been paying attention we knew that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Falco5

The Hurricanes must be expecting a rollback of some kind? Only incentive I see to get this deal done now.

Falco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Skinner is worth every penny but Rutherford's an idiot for giving him this deal right now. Giving Myers 5.5 M or Tavares 5.5 M an yr in advance last season was fine but giving Skinner that amount an yr in advance wtf is wrong with you? He didn't even get a discount for giving long term.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:07 PM
hockeyfreak7

I dont know what's terrible about this deal. It's for 6 years-- what were people expecting?

If he signed a three year deal, it would have been for $4.75m at least.

Toss in a couple UFA years and there's no doubt that you get a 6yr/5.75m deal. Not bad at all for a 60-70 point player who very well could still grow as a player.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Paperposts31

Getting those long contracts in before it's too late!

Paperposts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It does buyout 2 UFA years as the rules stand, keep that in mind.
That's dumb, just give him a forever contract.

Someone compared him to Wideman, you can't do that. it's a different market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I dont know what's terrible about this deal. It's for 6 years-- what were people expecting?

If he signed a three year deal, it would have been for $4.75m at least.

Toss in a couple UFA years and there's no doubt that you get a 6yr/5.75m deal. Not bad at all for a 60-70 point player who very well could still grow as a player.
He hasn't scored 70 points, so you can't call him a 70-point player. You have to do it first, that's how you get paid to be a 70-point player.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

This is... not a great deal for the Canes.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Seems high to me... but there isn't much else to spend money on right now I suppose.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He hasn't scored 70 points, so you can't call him a 70-point player. You have to do it first, that's how you get paid to be a 70-point player.
Read again please. I called him a 60-70 point player.

What would you have suggested to be a more reasonable deal?

Compare it to the contract that Voracek signed. Skinner has proved much more than a player like Voracek. Voracek signed a 4yr/4.25m deal. Doesnt it stand to reason that a player like Skinner should make significantly more on a six year deal having actually broken the 60 point mark?

Old
08-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTA View Post
Anyone hating on this deal, remember that Grabovski gets paid 5.5 mil.
what about that Ruutu figure that many Canes fans are slotting into their 4th line/healthy scratches ?

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:20 PM
jeromeo87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
what about that Ruutu figure that many Canes fans are slotting into their 4th line/healthy scratches ?
i almost feel bad for these people

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:25 PM
bleedgreen

He was always gonna get five, so this isn't really out of whack especially when you consider he's giving up ufa years. People are saying we did it too early, I would assume this won't even kick in till after next year. I don't believe you can relieve a guy from his elc even if you wanted. Jstaal's extension doesn't kick in till after next year, I'd assume skinners doesn't either. I could wrong on when it starts though.

Six years is hardly twelve obviously. This isn't Yashin. You have to take chances somewhere, why not a productive former rookie of the year who is beloved by the fan base? Last thing the canes want is dealing with offer sheets, especially with a miracle draft pick like this kid. Staals and skinner are good choices for the canes to have signed long term.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:28 PM
El Nino22

Who would have thought Carolina (Semin, Staal and Skinner deals) and Minnesota (Parise, Suter) would be the two teams spending the big money going into this off-season?

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:31 PM
BCShark

seems half a mill per year too high

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Read again please. I called him a 60-70 point player.

What would you have suggested to be a more reasonable deal?

Compare it to the contract that Voracek signed. Skinner has proved much more than a player like Voracek. Voracek signed a 4yr/4.25m deal. Doesnt it stand to reason that a player like Skinner should make significantly more on a six year deal having actually broken the 60 point mark?
Compare it more to Voracek's 2nd contract, where he made less than $3M after having more points than Skinner did in his 2nd year. That's why you wait until after the 3rd year.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Teasdale

vCash: 75
Too much for a second contract

Teasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:48 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Compare it more to Voracek's 2nd contract, where he made less than $3M after having more points than Skinner did in his 2nd year. That's why you wait until after the 3rd year.
Except for the fact that Skinner has outproduced Voracek in both his seasons in the league (on pace for 57 points this year).

So once again, if you consider Voracek's contract to be fair, then naturally you would have to pay more for a better offensive player and then pay even more for the additional years (UFA years) of the contract.

On a four year deal, I think Skinner is easily worth $5m per year. Then with the two UFA years, it's not surprising that it bumps to 5.75m.

If your argument is that the Canes should have waited to make such an offer-- then you probably have a point. But if you are saying that Skinner is being paid too much, then I dont see how so considering if all goes according to plan, Skinner will be well worth the deal even if he tops out as a 60-70 point player.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:51 PM
VoodooChile

Like many here, I was surprised by the amount as well, but I think a few things come into play that will put this deal in perspective.

1. Rutherford expects Skinner to break 30 goals/60 points again next year. Should that happen Skinner's agent may very well ask for an expensive, short term deal that takes him closer/up to UFA status. Rutherford is showing his commitment early in the hopes that the deal works out and Skinner reciprocates by sticking with the Canes long term.

2. As long as Skinner avoids head shots, he could very likely develop into a consistent 35-45 goal scorer during this contract. $5.75 mil will be a bargain for that kind of winger. Do we really expect the cap to go down and STAY down for long? Did it do that before?

3. Rutherford is afraid someone will offersheet Skinner next summer if he really breaks out (like scoring 40 goals). If Skinner does that, I could see a GM throw crazy cash at him, especially if next year's best UFAs never make it to July 1. Vanek's deal comes to mind.

I think these are all valid points to consider as a GM at this time of uncertainty. And when you get to watch this kid night in and night out, you realize that he is something special. If he matures and keeps his head up, he'll be an elite winger and that's why no Canes fan (except maybe one) would have considered Howson's rumored asking price of Skinner for Nash.

VoodooChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:52 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
For whatever reason, Skinner strikes me as one of those players that will not develop into the player that the Canes are hoping he will with that big contract.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Ashasx

Perhaps I'm missing something. Maybe Skinner will have a Giroux-esque explosion here...

He'll be making more that Tavares. Wow. What a steal that contract is for the Islanders.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:54 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChile View Post
Like many here, I was surprised by the amount as well, but I think a few things come into play that will put this deal in perspective.

1. Rutherford expects Skinner to break 30 goals/60 points again next year. Should that happen Skinner's agent may very well ask for an expensive, short term deal that takes him closer/up to UFA status. Rutherford is showing his commitment early in the hopes that the deal works out and Skinner reciprocates by sticking with the Canes long term.

2. As long as Skinner avoids head shots, he could very likely develop into a consistent 35-45 goal scorer during this contract. $5.75 mil will be a bargain for that kind of winger. Do we really expect the cap to go down and STAY down for long? Did it do that before?

3. Rutherford is afraid someone will offersheet Skinner next summer if he really breaks out (like scoring 40 goals). If Skinner does that, I could see a GM throw crazy cash at him, especially if next year's best UFAs never make it to July 1. Vanek's deal comes to mind.

I think these are all valid points to consider as a GM at this time of uncertainty. And when you get to watch this kid night in and night out, you realize that he is something special. If he matures and keeps his head up, he'll be an elite winger and that's why no Canes fan (except maybe one) would have considered Howson's rumored asking price of Skinner for Nash.
Even if Skinner had a big year next year, I don't see an offer sheet at much more than $6.5M per year, which isn't much more than he's already getting.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:57 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
Who would have thought Carolina (Semin, Staal and Skinner deals) and Minnesota (Parise, Suter) would be the two teams spending the big money going into this off-season?

And both will be lucky to make the playoffs....

Overpaid now, but he'll likely be worth it by the end.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
idk why skinner would want to sign an extension now
why skinner would?

guaranteed big money protecting against career threating injury/down year.

elc gives you a good chunk of change, but not set for life, this does that.

sure he might make more, but he stands more to lose than gain

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Except for the fact that Skinner has outproduced Voracek in both his seasons in the league (on pace for 57 points this year).

So once again, if you consider Voracek's contract to be fair, then naturally you would have to pay more for a better offensive player and then pay even more for the additional years (UFA years) of the contract.

On a four year deal, I think Skinner is easily worth $5m per year. Then with the two UFA years, it's not surprising that it bumps to 5.75m.

If your argument is that the Canes should have waited to make such an offer-- then you probably have a point. But if you are saying that Skinner is being paid too much, then I dont see how so considering if all goes according to plan, Skinner will be well worth the deal even if he tops out as a 60-70 point player.
Not really, Voracek had arbitration rights, Skinner does not, he had no leverage to essentially get a UFA contract when you consider he's almost making what Jordan Staal is going to get.