HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Stolen from the Bruins Board - What do you do for a living?

Old
08-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I like my privacy so please forgive the vague anonymity.

I'm a HSE Manager for a medium-large industrial employer. After majoring in a science program I switched to health and safety. Still schooling part time however.
Are you actually Walter White?

I'm a 23 year old history-education double major at the University of Lethbridge, so pursuing both a Bachelors of Arts & Education. Going into my second year, since I decided to spend 4 years in full time construction (drywall, entirely in taping & texture), and worked in it since I was 15, anyway. Back in Calgary for the summer, doing construction again, until the end of this month at which point, I hope I never step foot on another construction site again.

Aside from that, Ducksauce and I drink buurz at Brewsters every once in a while.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Noori

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
Did that my first year... Dropped after first term and transferred into Business. Good luck my friend.
Thanks. I've been covering a lot of the first year material (C++, Linear Algebra, Chem, Fluid Mechanics) this summer so I feel really prepared for first year (or at least I will by the end of August). But business is my fall back as well. Maybe a concentration in Management Information Systems or Energy Management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
I had always assumed you were older. Crazy!
Yeah, I've been here since I was twelve. I got the message board fever a little earlier . Even away from the internet, people mistake as being older than I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Won't be seeing much of you in September! Bwahahaha
Likely lol.

Well, because their recent moves all but guarantee another middling, mediocre finish, I suppose I can somewhat justify following the Flames a little less this season (queue the bandwagon hate ).

Noori is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Im 20, a recent graduate from SAIT. Considering heading over to UofC for 2 years to complete my BoCommunications.

I am currently a freelance web developer, graphic designer and social/competitive internet marketer.

I also work with a web design outfit here in downtown Calgary for larger client projects.

Check out my portfolio if youd like:

http://www.infinityorion.com
i live in Edmonton, is that the equivalent to N.A.I.T?

and currently im 17, jsut graduated high school and work at staples... i plan to go back to school for landscaping (4 years) then for carpentry (3 years) then onto business school (someone told me 2-4 years idk to be honest)

so i'm going to be doing 9 - 11 years

Last edited by Devilspuppet666: 08-08-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by haQ Loob View Post
Damn, dude. If you lived in Edmonton (like this displaced Flames fan), I'd definitely use you for a roof on a large rental property. Can't find decent and reliable trades up here without paying two arms and a leg.
lol i know how you feel but i still wear the flaming c with pride lol

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Thanks. I've been covering a lot of the first year material (C++, Linear Algebra, Chem, Fluid Mechanics) this summer so I feel really prepared for first year (or at least I will by the end of August). But business is my fall back as well. Maybe a concentration in Management Information Systems or Energy Management.
Solid fall back strategy. I have a couple friends in both streams.

The toughest courses for me were fluid mechanics and statics and dynamics (although I think they changed the class to just dynamics).

Linear algebra was a definite break from the other classes, as it has the smallest workload.

One tip is to work with your peers and study with them. It'll definitely help you get through the year.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Noori

Quote:
Solid fall back strategy. I have a couple friends in both streams.

The toughest courses for me were fluid mechanics and statics and dynamics (although I think they changed the class to just dynamics).

Linear algebra was a definite break from the other classes, as it has the smallest workload.

One tip is to work with your peers and study with them. It'll definitely help you get through the year.
All the tough courses you mentioned are second semester. Everyone I talk to says the same thing so I'm trying to prepare as best i can for them.

Plenty of friends going into first year with me so plenty of people I can study with.

Noori is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:59 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
22 and working as an EMR graduating to EMT in 7 months. Mostly work out of town in Sundre/Three Hills. Been doing this for nearly 2 years as a graduate of SAIT's program.

Hope to be a part of the Alberta STARS program or as a field medic (thought about the Army) but seeing as I'm not the primary in an ambulance yet, might be a while before I'm in a helicopter… say, ten years. :p

And as always, posting from my phone.
Interesting. I just recently completed the EMR program through SAIT and appear to have the same aspirations as you! How have you found it so far?

In the meantime I am working part time for mothers privatized company in social services.

Oh, and I am 20 years old.

HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:06 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Dang, you guys make me feel incompetent lol.. I'm 20, and currently working as a supervisor at an oil recycling facility.. Nothing special, dirty as hell, but pay is great. I really want to go to college or uni, but I really have no clue for what, i wanted to take time off to figure out what I wanted to do, but suffice it to say, I've been stuck in the real world longer than I wanted.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Dang, you guys make me feel incompetent lol.. I'm 20, and currently working as a supervisor at an oil recycling facility.. Nothing special, dirty as hell, but pay is great. I really want to go to college or uni, but I really have no clue for what, i wanted to take time off to figure out what I wanted to do, but suffice it to say, I've been stuck in the real world longer than I wanted.
This seems to still be the best way to go. I certainly wish I would have taken a year off and actually figure out what I wanted to do. I wish more people would do this, because picking your future when you're 17/18 is a tough decision to make.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Signature
Disreputable User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Interesting. I just recently completed the EMR program through SAIT and appear to have the same aspirations as you! How have you found it so far?

In the meantime I am working part time for mothers privatized company in social services.

Oh, and I am 20 years old.
Took the 2-year program out of SAIT too?

I find it great - it's what I've always wanted to do, and my family has a history of finding their way into medical/emergency response professions, from lab work to field medics, etc. No pressure though.

To be dead honest, it's pretty rough and exhausting. It's an extreme usually between dull moments and high-adrenaline situations. Not to mention, in your first few years before transitioning to EMT you will have to do the legwork out in the sticks to get experience as not many provincial programs hire off the bat (AKA not immediately working in say, Lethbridge/Calgary/Edmonton's municipal services). But once you get settled in, hopefully with municipal services, it's a bit easier. You have a more reliable schedule, the pay's better, etc. But nearly everyone does have to do some heavy lifting during their EMR years. I'm almost there.

I'd like to ask, if you're thinking of continuing on like I have if you've had a chance to work as a volunteer at Peter Lougheed? It's a great way to set up, since you get a real feel for the parameters of a career in emergency response.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:58 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
This seems to still be the best way to go. I certainly wish I would have taken a year off and actually figure out what I wanted to do. I wish more people would do this, because picking your future when you're 17/18 is a tough decision to make.
I'm 20 and it's still tough, I'm starting to sense a direction, but my one year ended up being two, and if I don't figure my **** out now, it'll be three lol.. My biggest problem was putting myself into a position where I have to work full time to live and enjoy myself, I would not recommend moving on your own in that year off lol, it's going to be a hard transition from having cash on hand, working everyday to being broke in college, although my treaty rights just might help with that haha.. Oh well, life goes on.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:09 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Took the 2-year program out of SAIT too?

I find it great - it's what I've always wanted to do, and my family has a history of finding their way into medical/emergency response professions, from lab work to field medics, etc. No pressure though.

To be dead honest, it's pretty rough and exhausting. It's an extreme usually between dull moments and high-adrenaline situations. Not to mention, in your first few years before transitioning to EMT you will have to do the legwork out in the sticks to get experience as not many provincial programs hire off the bat (AKA not immediately working in say, Lethbridge/Calgary/Edmonton's municipal services). But once you get settled in, hopefully with municipal services, it's a bit easier. You have a more reliable schedule, the pay's better, etc. But nearly everyone does have to do some heavy lifting during their EMR years. I'm almost there.

I'd like to ask, if you're thinking of continuing on like I have if you've had a chance to work as a volunteer at Peter Lougheed? It's a great way to set up, since you get a real feel for the parameters of a career in emergency response.
Yes. That sounds very similar to what I have heard from a few others I have spoken too as well.

The goal as it stands now (certainly not set in stone at this point) is to follow a very similar path to which you have been on the past two years. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to volunteer at Peter Lougheed, but that will definitely be something I will look into shortly.

May I ask how long you volunteered for? It certainly sounds as if it was a necessary step for yourself.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:15 AM
Signature
Disreputable User

Quote:
Yes. That sounds very similar to what I have heard from a few others I have spoken too as well.

The goal as it stands now (certainly not set in stone at this point) is to follow a very similar path to which you have been on the past two years. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to volunteer at Peter Lougheed, but that will definitely be something I will look into shortly.

May I ask how long you volunteered for? It certainly sounds as if it was a necessary step for yourself.
Well, when I volunteered I was actually in high school (grades 10-11) so there was actually a program set up via my career counsellor at school. Not sure if you get the same luxury seeing as you're already a "mature student", but try to get in for a 3/4 month stint if they'll have you? If not, you'll want to look into ride-along programs in Calgary.

Anyways, it's really enlightening in a lot of ways, but sometimes you will have to spin things yourself into a positive light. For instance, I was able to participate in 3 stints. One was waiting room/patient management, and the other two were in IC. I really started to learn about not just the important things such as calculation and application of medication but the dark side of burnout and emotional detachment as opposed to professional emotional detachment.

All in all, I wish you good luck. In this line of work, there's no thing like the real thing so I suggest you try and get some practical experience as soon as you feel you're ready. My number one piece of advice: No matter how hectic the present situation is, try and take a step back mentally and don't rush anything in the learning process.

Last edited by Signature: 08-08-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old
08-08-2012, 02:36 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well, when I volunteered I was actually in high school (grades 10-11) so there was actually a program set up via my career counsellor at school. Not sure if you get the same luxury seeing as you're already a "mature student", but try to get in for a 3/4 month stint if they'll have you? If not, you'll want to look into ride-along programs in Calgary.
Hmm that's interesting, I wish I was made aware of that opportunity during high school.

I have definitely looked into the ride-along programs, but have yet to take the initiative to go about doing so since finishing the program . A few off my classmates have since done so, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for the insight, it is certainly appreciated!
Best of luck moving forward as well when you graduate to EMT status!

Old
08-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Signature
Disreputable User

Quote:
I have definitely looked into the ride-along programs, but have yet to take the initiative to go about doing so since finishing the program . A few off my classmates have since done so, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for the insight, it is certainly appreciated!
Best of luck moving forward as well when you graduate to EMT status!
Haha, well, there's no time like the present to get initiated into it.

It's my pleasure, I'm hardly a veteran but if I can provide even a little bit of info I'm glad to do so. I'm really looking forward to my EMT certification.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:52 AM
Drewster

vCash: 581
Britain based , flames fan. Recruiter/Headhunter into Insurance/Financial Services markets. On here every day to get all the inside info but only as a voyeur. I'm not as well informed as you guys.

Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:07 AM
Savoie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Ya I've heard that you gain a lot more necessary material in the course, that you miss out on in the apprenticeship program as well. Thanks for the advice, really helpful actually.
I'm happy i could help because Instrumentation is a great field but is not properly displayed like some fields like electricity, alot of time when you say your going in instrumentation people will ask questions like what's that or what instrument do you play but I will tell you this i highly recommend the field. The thing i like the most about it is the fact that you will rarely ever be doing the same thing so you dont fall into routines which is something i love about this field

Savoie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Flames1217

20 year old Quebec Cegep Student, entering my last year of social science. After this year i will be attending the police training center in P.E.I. I wish to be a RCMP officer when all is said and done.

Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:54 AM
DBU
In A Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brostopolous View Post
Are you actually Walter White?

I'm a 23 year old history-education double major at the University of Lethbridge, so pursuing both a Bachelors of Arts & Education. Going into my second year, since I decided to spend 4 years in full time construction (drywall, entirely in taping & texture), and worked in it since I was 15, anyway. Back in Calgary for the summer, doing construction again, until the end of this month at which point, I hope I never step foot on another construction site again.

Aside from that, Ducksauce and I drink buurz at Brewsters every once in a while.
Yeah buddy. We should do that soon before school starts back up again, now that you mention it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Yeah, I've been here since I was twelve. I got the message board fever a little earlier . Even away from the internet, people mistake as being older than I am.
When I read this initially I was like "twelve?!" but having thought about it, I was on message boards at about 14 or 15 so it really isn't that shocking I guess lol. I just always assumed you were older because you come across as a lot more mature than a lot of posters on HF. Also you're a mod

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:01 AM
DBU
In A Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I was in this position not too long ago. I originally decided that taking a year off after high school would be a good idea, but one year turned into two turned into three before I finally got back into it. It sucked, honestly looking back I kind of wish I hadn't had to go through the process of working crappy jobs just because I didn't know what else to do, but in the long run it's probably for the best. I'm glad I didn't just waste away time at school with no real motive.

I'm sure that you'll find something you're passionate about or at least interested in, and then it'll make that decision a lot easier.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:33 PM
LetsGoFlames
McDavid-2015

vCash: 500
Well I'm bloody old then. Lol. I'm 36, married with 2 sons already and a 3rd on the way. Been a Flames fan since the early 80's. Moved from Calgary to southeastern Saskatchewan 3 years ago. Currently the Kitchen Manager of a busy bar & grill.

LetsGoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:16 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
I was in this position not too long ago. I originally decided that taking a year off after high school would be a good idea, but one year turned into two turned into three before I finally got back into it. It sucked, honestly looking back I kind of wish I hadn't had to go through the process of working crappy jobs just because I didn't know what else to do, but in the long run it's probably for the best. I'm glad I didn't just waste away time at school with no real motive.

I'm sure that you'll find something you're passionate about or at least interested in, and then it'll make that decision a lot easier.
FWIW, I took a year off (after highschool) and worked full time. Saved up enough to pay for 2 years of school and then went back (hooray for no loans!), I also used the year off to figure out what I actually wanted to do.

So taking a year off was really positive for me.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Congo

Interesting to see that most people fall around my age bracket. I thought for sure I would be amongst the older group.

23, just graduated with a B.A. Economics from the UofS. Just moved back to Calgary, unemployed and looking for a job related to my field.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:35 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

I am an artificial intelligent computer system designed for Apeture Science responsible for testing and maintenance.

Before being uploaded to the mainframe I was a 20 year old studying Commerce at McMaster University, heading into the third year.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:46 PM
DBU
In A Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
I am an artificial intelligent computer system designed for Apeture Science responsible for testing and maintenance.

Before being uploaded to the mainframe I was a 20 year old studying Commerce at McMaster University, heading into the third year.
Part of me was hoping you were a chef so I could be witty and say "The cake is a lie!"