HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Teams to start putting ads on jerseys?

Old
08-08-2012, 03:14 AM
BlessThisMess513

vCash: 500
The best part about all of this is it will have no effect on me at all. The ads I mean. Seeing a McDonalds golden M on the jersey isn't gonna give me the slightest interest to go and buy it. Whats the point?

BlessThisMess513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:13 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess513 View Post
The best part about all of this is it will have no effect on me at all. The ads I mean. Seeing a McDonalds golden M on the jersey isn't gonna give me the slightest interest to go and buy it. Whats the point?
That's not the way such ads are supposed to work anyway. It's mostly to make a brand well known. And once you have to make a decision which to choose, all those ads may influence it, although you don't really notice.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Realize

Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
So .. DEL jerseys look like this at the moment : (roughly)

There is nearly no part of the jerseys where is no ad ...
Absolutely awful.

They are like walking advertising pillars ...
Would be an absolutely nogo for me .. And a real reason not to buy a jersey.
If they are going to make it like German soccer jerseys for example - it would be okay for me.
But put the team logo big in front - and not the main sponsor.

Realize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 06:16 AM
SwissLeaf

Swiss jerseys aren't better...

Hopefully the NHL can stay away from this.

At least the logo is in the middle.

SwissLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 06:48 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Yep...they also sell tickets, and merchandise, etc. just like the big market teams...yet they claim to be losing money.

The NHL's problem is not revenue. Revenue's have grown tremendously since the lockout.
They are losing money.

The Devils are 20 million in debt.

If a Modells logo on their shoulder gives them 5-10 million that covers half of Vanderbeek's debt.

What aren't people understanding about this?

If they had that extra money, maybe they are able to offer Parise a competitive contract.

People are acting as if sports have always been some sort of anti-establishment thing. Anyone ever take a look at what Ebbets Field looked like? You know who built MSG II? Chase did. Yea the bank.

If you're so anti-establishment then stop buying things. Don't buy clothes, get naked and go live in a forest.

How do you think its even possible the Rangers exist? Its not because you go to a game every now and then and buy a hot dog at the game.

How is the Winter Classic possible? Why is it the "Bridgestone" Winter Classic? Because it sounds cool?

Why are arenas branded? Because Met Life Stadium sounds cool?

Stop being hypocrites.

I remember another life time ago when i was in highschool some kid thought he was "anti-establishment". Wore all black and no "logos". He still had ****ing clothes on, still drove a car to school, still used pens...those items were made by Santa's elves apparently?

Will it look amazing to have ads on uniforms? No. But if it helps finances then so what.

The NHL aren't the ones who are suckers. Its the companies. If they're willing to fork over several million to put their logo on a jersey...

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Realize

Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
They are losing money.

If a Modells logo on their shoulder gives them 5-10 million that covers half of Vanderbeek's debt.

If they had that extra money, maybe they are able to offer Parise a competitive contract.

People are acting as if sports have always been some sort of anti-establishment thing. Anyone ever take a look at what Ebbets Field looked like? You know who built MSG II? Chase did. Yea the bank.

If you're so anti-establishment then stop buying things. Don't buy clothes, get naked and go live in a forest.

How do you think its even possible the Rangers exist? Its not because you go to a game every now and then and buy a hot dog at the game.

How is the Winter Classic possible? Why is it the "Bridgestone" Winter Classic? Because it sounds cool?

Why are arenas branded? Because Met Life Stadium sounds cool?

Stop being hypocrites.

I remember another life time ago when i was in highschool some kid thought he was "anti-establishment". Wore all black and no "logos". He still had ****ing clothes on, still drove a car to school, still used pens...those items were made by Santa's elves apparently?

Will it look amazing to have ads on uniforms? No. But if it helps finances then so what.

The NHL aren't the ones who are suckers. Its the companies. If they're willing to fork over several million to put their logo on a jersey...
I have no problems with ads in general.
It's really understandable that every one needs to earn some money to exist.
But, please keep them off the uniforms - or just do not the same as already in Germany and Swiss.
I'd rather be okay with more ads on the ice / stadium itself (even if there is already many)

Realize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

It's not as simple as you make it out to be. You are ignoring a very important part of the equation...costs. If revenues go up, the cap goes up. It's a direct relationship.

Depending on how the league handles things, it's possible that the problems of small market teams could be compounded if the revenues they receive do not cover the costs that will be incurred from an increasing cap.

Also, revenues are not the problem. Profitability is. Revenues are up approx 50% since the lockout 7 years ago.

And the Devil's did make a competitive offer for Parise. It was his choice to leave.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

There's a pretty significant difference between not wanting an ad on a jersey and being a pretentious "anti-establishment" high schooler. If I want to wear a Metallica shirt, it should say Metallica on it. Not "HONDA PRESENTS Metallica." If I wanted to advertise my love of MSG, I'd find some MSG merchandise to buy. I don't care to advertise my love of MSG because I don't love MSG. I want to show support for the TEAM.

But please, keep telling me how not wanting to look like a racecar advertising corporations and companies I have no love/affinity for/opinion of makes me a hypocrite.

Oh, incidentally, I wear Easton hats/hoodies/t-shirts. Because I use Easton gear. If I like something, I'll wear it. You're boiling it down to "If you don't like it, don't but it." And that's exactly what I'd do. But that also, in this hypothetical situation, would mean I'm not able to buy a jersey, and that totally sucks.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

More advertising revenue isn't going to help unprofitable teams, because unprofitable teams will piss away that additional revenue and then some.

The devils are hardly a small market team and are in financial problems because they made a dumb decision to spend tons of money on that arena.

And small (cap floor) market teams don't benefit from this because if HRR goes up the increase to the floor could easily trump the increase in revenue from the ads.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:48 AM
mooskating
flex

i like the idea of one small ad per jersey. it brings money in and the league could definitely use it, but anything more is overkill-- and we all know that there will be more than one-- whether it is from the start, or a few years from now. there will be more ads. so i'd be against starting it, but if they were to 1 ad wouldn't kill me.

as long as we keep the names, logos, and numbers visible i could care less about advertisements.

you can own the naming rights to the building. the boards are painted. name of the building painted on the ice. as long as they don't start adding adverts to every single circle then i am content with a ~4x4 ad on the jersey. would you guys rather that they paint the ice? (since you don't wear the ice i'd see the reasoning, but i'd rather advertising go on the jersey than the ice)

mooskating is offline   Reply With Quote