HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XV): The Non-Frenzy Edition

Old
08-08-2012, 08:14 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
I would rather try and add an offensive winger for that 3rd line than try to get a more offensive 3rd line center. Having Hagelin + Pyatt as the 3rd line wingers should help that line score more goals and create more offense.

When it comes to offensive skills, Pyatt + Hagelin > Prust + Fedotenko.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:14 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I disagree, I think besides Gabby and Richie we had no primary scoring in the PO's.

We had TONS of secondary scoring- Dan Girardi had a bunch of points, Marc Staal scored the OT winning goal in Game 5 in the WSH series, etc.

Gabby and Richie had monster Caps series but were more quiet in Ottawa and NJ.

IF Nash can revert back to 40 goal form here, I think we're much better off.
We had almost as much scoring from Girardi alone than we got from our 3rd line of Prust, Boyle and Feds. and Girardi is not an offensive defenceman.

Girardi - 12 pts
3rd line - 15pts

That's the lack of secondary scoring that hurts this team.

That's a joke.

Last edited by pld459666: 08-08-2012 at 08:20 AM.
pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:19 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would rather try and add an offensive winger for that 3rd line than try to get a more offensive 3rd line center. Having Hagelin + Pyatt as the 3rd line wingers should help that line score more goals and create more offense.

When it comes to offensive skills, Pyatt + Hagelin > Prust + Fedotenko.
I'm not sold on Pyatt being any better than Fedotenko. Nothing he has done has shown me that he is better or as consistent.

Hagelin is head and shoulders better than Prust so in that line of thinking I agree that Hags and Pyatt is better than Prust and Feds.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:28 AM
NYR Viper

Pyatt and Fedotenko are just different types of players. Fedotenko is an excellent defensive forward. Pyatt has more offensive skills. I think that new line will not be as good defensively, but offensively, they should be better.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:54 AM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I disagree that this was their biggest need.

I thought we got enough primary scoring, it was the secondary scoring that plagued this team.

An issue that could have been corrected with an average season from Dubinsky and a better season from Anisimov.

Boyle dropping 10 goals from the year before last didn't kill this team, but it sure as hell didn't help.

The Rangers primary scoring was never the issue. It was a lack of production from lines 3 and 4 which we did not address.

Granted, I like where we are in terms of top line talent, 2nd line talent in Stepan, Callahan and one of Kreider or Hagelin, but I am less than thrilled with the prospect of Boyle being the center of the third line as I believe we are still going to have issues scoring consistently.
For the most part I agree with this, especially during Nash talks. When I actually compared the Winter Classic lines to the possible lines come next January,

Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik
= Hagelin - Richards - Nash

Hagelin - Richards - Callahan
= Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik

Dubinksy - Boyle - Mitchell
= Pyatt - Boyle - Callahan

Feds - Rupp - Prust
= Asham - Halpern - Rupp

Changes From 2012

Callahan = Dubi (Callahan > Last years Dubi)

Pyatt > Mitchell

Nash > Callahan

Kreider = Anisimov

(I know i'll get flamed for this one, but im not talking about potential but about likely production next year)

Our top 9 has greatly improved

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:03 AM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'm not sold on Pyatt being any better than Fedotenko. Nothing he has done has shown me that he is better or as consistent.

Hagelin is head and shoulders better than Prust so in that line of thinking I agree that Hags and Pyatt is better than Prust and Feds.
Have you gone watched Pyatt very closely? If so I commend you typically he is not the type of player people go out of their way to watch.

If so you probably know more then most of us as I have only seen him briefly while watching his team play and was never my main focal point.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
Canes sign Jeff Skinner to a six-year extension that starts in 13-14. Skinner will get $4.35 mil in 13-14 and $6 mil per after that.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Pyatt and Fedotenko are just different types of players. Fedotenko is an excellent defensive forward. Pyatt has more offensive skills. I think that new line will not be as good defensively, but offensively, they should be better.
People focus too much on positions and not on roles.

Pyatt is replacing Mitchell. Both players playing in the bottom-6 being relied on to inject a little bit of offense. Of course, Pyatt is much better at this than Mitchell.

Halpern is replacing Fedotenko. Both players, highly experienced, playing in the bottom-6 being relied on to play a strong defensive role and play on the PK. They're about equal in this sense. Halpern has the added benefit of being a center.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

$4.35M is the non arbitration year. $6M AAV covers 3 years of arbitration and 2 years of group III.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:29 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
$4.35M is the non arbitration year. $6M AAV covers 3 years of arbitration and 2 years of group III.
Seems like a fair deal. Good for both sides.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:43 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
People focus too much on positions and not on roles.

Pyatt is replacing Mitchell. Both players playing in the bottom-6 being relied on to inject a little bit of offense. Of course, Pyatt is much better at this than Mitchell.

Halpern is replacing Fedotenko. Both players, highly experienced, playing in the bottom-6 being relied on to play a strong defensive role and play on the PK. They're about equal in this sense. Halpern has the added benefit of being a center.
The real way to look at it would be this:

In:
Nash
Pyatt
Kreider
Asham
Halpern

Out:
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Fedotenko
Prust
Mitchell

I would say they have improved, although I do think the PK will take a hit this year UNLESS Nash is used on the PK and can excel like he did under Hitchcock. They lost 4 above average to good PKers.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Seems like a fair deal. Good for both sides.
What has Skinner proven to be worth that type of contract? Same issue with Myers last season. It drives up the price on other teams. Skinner has 107 points in his 1st 2 years in the NHL. Stepan has 96 points. What's Stepan worth?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:16 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:

In:
Nash
Pyatt
Kreider
Asham
Halpern

Out:
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Fedotenko
Prust
Mitchell

I would say they have improved, although I do think the PK will take a hit this year UNLESS Nash is used on the PK and can excel like he did under Hitchcock. They lost 4 above average to good PKers.
Hopefully guys like Halpern and Asham are used as depth players and we add another player onto our roster (or two - if Miller hopefully shows the big strides he might be expected to make) thereby replacing Christensen (#14) and Avery/Wolski/Scotts vacant positions from last year instead.
Be it now before training camp (whenever it starts), after the CBA is settled and some unexpected players might become available or at the deadline. Main thing is that we need depth implemented into the lineup to be able go all the way. But a 4 year signing of Shane Doan for $7,5 M is not by a long shot the only answer to getting this formula right.... As to Boyle, it would be preferable to use him and miller (if Miller is ready) alternating as 4C/3C centers throughout the year and Halpern as a fillini. If we can make our roster that deep...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:25 AM
NYR Viper

Haley should be a solid depth player. I am hoping he turns into a 4th liner in the future.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:26 AM
jskramer83

Quote:

In:
Nash
Pyatt
Kreider
Asham
Halpern

Out:
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Fedotenko
Prust
Mitchell

we have lost a lot of the pk. That is probably the main reason they brought in Halpern as neither Asham, Pyatt or Nash really play much on the pk. Probably going to see a lot of Hagelin out there as well.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:39 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Contrary to popular belief, its humanly possible to have a 3rd line center who can make plays, set up and score goals and check.

Bolland, Kelly, Zajac, Johanssen, Staal last season, Steen, Eller, and Couturier (for now) just to name a few.

This is an opinion-based forum right?

Boyle sucks and I don't like him on the 3rd line.

There.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:43 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Contrary to popular belief, its humanly possible to have a 3rd line center who can make plays, set up and score goals and check.

Bolland, Kelly, Zajac, Johanssen, Staal last season, Steen, Eller, and Couturier (for now) just to name a few.

There.
Not all opinions are valid. I could be of the opinion that Henrik Lundqvist is the worst goalie in the league--it's an opinion, but it's not supported by any evidence.

Don't like Boyle on the third line? Fine, that's a reasonable opinion. Boyle sucks? That just sounds like you're talking out of your ass.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Zajac is the Deb's 1C when healthy. But I agree with you. Either put Boyle on 4C, or even on the third line wing, so he has less responsibility.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:54 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Zajac is the Deb's 1C when healthy. But I agree with you. Either put Boyle on 4C, or even on the third line wing, so he has less responsibility.
Its either Zajac or Henrique. One of them has to center the 3rd line since Elias is No. 2.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post

There.
Clearly. Facts and evidence are frowned upon.

Anyways, you listed 8 (5 of which played third line center for the bulk of the year). I haven't heard anyone suggest that Boyle is among the top 8 3rd line centers.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Why, exactly?

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Shane Doan's four-year, $30-million mystery offer is real, his agent told the New York Daily News.

Doan, 35, is the best remaining free agent and is still unsure whether he'll leave the Phoenix Coyotes' uncertain ownership situation.

Whether the offer—a premium on both money and term for Doan—is from a team he actually has interest in, agent Terry Bross didn't disclose, though he did say it wasn't from the New York Rangers.
Read more here

Thank God...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:05 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
we have lost a lot of the pk. That is probably the main reason they brought in Halpern as neither Asham, Pyatt or Nash really play much on the pk. Probably going to see a lot of Hagelin out there as well.
I think Hagelin and Stepan will be relied upon more heavily this year.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Why, exactly?
Because he's a terrible skater. A center has to cover more space than a winger. A center is supposed to distribute the puck in the offensive zone, and has more defensive responsibilities than a winger. Because his skating is bad, I think he'd be better served at wing, where he has to skate less.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Haley should be a solid depth player. I am hoping he turns into a 4th liner in the future.
I think he's already good enough to be a 4th liner, most Islander fans were screaming at the team to play him more often because he was effective when he got into games.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote