HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
We have the elite prospect already. Did you forget this seasons?
No I did not forget. Galchenyuk is a beauty of a prospect, our best since Price and maybe with even more expectations. But him alone is not enough. IMO, we need 2 more pieces: an elite forward and an elite PMD with size la Pietrangelo. The idea of having either Jones or MacKinnon is exactly what we need for our franchise. In a couple of years, with a veteran Pacioretty, Price and Subban, our team will be more ecstatic to watch instead of the past years with Cammalleri-Gionta-Gomez as team patches.

Old
08-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
The 2005 NHL Entry Draft was the 43rd NHL Entry Draft.

As a lockout cancelled the games of the 200405 NHL season, the draft order was determined by lottery on July 22, 2005. Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years. According to the draft order, the selection worked its way up to 30 as usual; then instead of repeating the order as in past years, the draft "snaked" back down to the team with the first pick. Therefore the team with the first pick overall would not pick again until the 60th pick. The team with the 30th pick would also get the 31st pick. The new CBA reduced the draft to seven rounds in length, compared to nine rounds in years past.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26401
The lockout in 1984-5 helped the Habs move up in the 2005 draft. Another lockout could severely damage their rebuild. They're counting on the the promising 2013 draft. However, the odds of their drawing #5 or better in a lottery are unfavorable. If they were to draw #20, for example, the tankards would be beside themselves.

Old
08-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
No I did not forget. Galchenyuk is a beauty of a prospect, our best since Price and maybe with even more expectations. But him alone is not enough. IMO, we need 2 more pieces: an elite forward and an elite PMD with size la Pietrangelo. The idea of having either Jones or MacKinnon is exactly what we need for our franchise. In a couple of years, with a veteran Pacioretty, Price and Subban, our team will be more ecstatic to watch instead of the past years with Cammalleri-Gionta-Gomez as team patches.
We have enough core pieces in place to move forward. The Kings just won the cup and they had 4 main pieces on their roster that they drafted:

Kopitar
Brown
Doughty
Quick

We currently have:

Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
Subban
Price

I think these are very comprable assets providing that Galchenyuk turns out. The other assets that the Kings have were aquired by trades. It would be nice to draft a big PMD and an elite forward but it isn't a necessity.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:31 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Anyone else hoping for a sort of TV/Web series of "Behind the draft" for 2013 with the new management? Could be fun I reckon!

Old
08-05-2012, 04:07 PM
katatoniak

Jeremy Gregoire in the 2nd round would be sweet

Old
08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
We have enough core pieces in place to move forward. The Kings just won the cup and they had 4 main pieces on their roster that they drafted:

Kopitar
Brown
Doughty
Quick

We currently have:

Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
Subban
Price

I think these are very comprable assets providing that Galchenyuk turns out. The other assets that the Kings have were aquired by trades. It would be nice to draft a big PMD and an elite forward but it isn't a necessity.
We acquired Bourque and Pouliot by trade instead of Carter and Richards. Could be if we had players we drafted with low draft picks maybe we could make better trades, too.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
We acquired Bourque and Pouliot by trade instead of Carter and Richards. Could be if we had players we drafted with low draft picks maybe we could make better trades, too.
If we wanted to aquire such players we currently have the assets to do so.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:20 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
If we wanted to aquire such players we currently have the assets to do so.
Where's our Brayden Schenn or Jacub Voracek?

Old
08-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Where's our Brayden Schenn or Jacub Voracek?
Voracek's value had really dipped in Columbus and Schenn was starting to be questioned in L.A.

Tinordi and Beaulieu are both very valuable trade pieces as are Leblanc, Gallagher, Thrower, Ellis and Collberg to a slightly lesser extent. This is without taking into consideration the number of picks we have accumulated that can be worked into a deal and vets like Gionta and Markov.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
rockjngo

Wow just looking at next year's draft. Lots of great prospects.

Comparisons:
1. Nathan MacKinnon = Sidney Crosby lite
2. Seth Jones = Chris Pronger/ Shea Weber
3. Sean Monahan = Jordan Staal
4. Aleksander Barkov = Anze Kopitar
5. Hunter Shinkaruk = Matt Duchene
6. Elias Lindholm = Nick Backstrom
7. Valeri Nichushkin = Evgeni Malkin lite
8. Anthony Duclair = Erik Cole
9. Jonathan Drouin = Zack Parise
10. Jordan Subban = PK Subban

Old
08-06-2012, 08:01 PM
goforit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Wow just looking at next year's draft. Lots of great prospects.

Comparisons:
1. Nathan MacKinnon = Sidney Crosby lite
2. Seth Jones = Chris Pronger/ Shea Weber
3. Sean Monahan = Jordan Staal
4. Aleksander Barkov = Anze Kopitar
5. Hunter Shinkaruk = Matt Duchene
6. Elias Lindholm = Nick Backstrom
7. Valeri Nichushkin = Evgeni Malkin lite
8. Anthony Duclair = Erik Cole
9. Jonathan Drouin = Zack Parise
10. Jordan Subban = PK Subban
Hmmm... those comparisons are made on...? Have you ever see them play!?

Old
08-06-2012, 08:11 PM
DAChampion

A lot of people compare Nathan McKinnon to Sidney Crosby on the basis that both of them are talented 5'11" playmaking centers from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia. That's enough for a lot of people.

At age 15 he was called the next Crosby, here's an old article:
http://www.nesn.com/2011/02/nathan-m...years-old.html
You can find a lot of articles.

That said in the year before his draft year he had 78 points in 58 games. Sidney Crosby had 135 points in 59 games, both of them played in the Q. McKinnon is a good player, a great player, but thus far his production more resembles Galchenyuk than that of Crosby or even Lecavalier.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:22 AM
S Bah

Well after reading the NHLPA's BJ Crombeen speaking to Tampa Bay Times on the Owner's Initial Proposal.The requested Financial Documentation from the NHL has been delivered at least the first batch roughly 76,000 pages.It certainly doesn't sound optimistic for any agreement on a new CBA before the expiration of the one in place expires in 6 weeks.So this thread may set records if the 2012-2013 season isn't played,here's hoping the Habs get the 1st overall in a lottery type draw and the 2nd's from Calgary and Nashville are 29th&30th in the 1st round giving the Habs the 31st & 32nd,and 60th picks in the 2nd round.Go Habs Go!If the Habs get the 1st pick will they take Seth Jones or Nathan MacKinnon,my choice the great crushing bruiser Seth Jones.I would truly enjoy him and Tinordi lining up Bruins for bone jarring hits at our blueline that turn over the puck for a score for the Habs.Yes the Habs need this player along with Johnathan Drouin to play LW on Galchenyuk's line with Collberg,who in their right mind is going to abuse these players when Tinordi and Jones are on the Ice with them.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:51 PM
BigWilly

vCash: 100
Quote:

Kopitar
Brown
Doughty
Quick

We currently have:

Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
Subban
Price

These players aren't comparable IMO. Other than Galchenyuk becoming an Anze Kopitar type player at best. Doughty and Subban comparison is laughable.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:58 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
These players aren't comparable IMO. Other than Galchenyuk becoming an Anze Kopitar type player at best. Doughty and Subban comparison is laughable.
The evidence you present really is overwhelming.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:46 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Doughty and Subban comparison is laughable.
Why?

Old
08-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Thanks for coming to our board with your impeccable insight filled with evidence to support your claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
The Montreal Canadiens have a good young core but there are missing pieces and adding a young elite prospect like MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan, Drouin, etc is part of building the core. We are not in a rebuilding mode, but we are trying to build something that lasts.
You don't even need a tank job to get Drouin I would guess, especially with a trio of 2nd rounders available to try and move up. He'll go somewhere between 7th and 20th.

Old
08-07-2012, 03:05 PM
BigWilly

vCash: 100
Drew Doughty has won the Stanley cup, an Olympic gold medal and he has been a finalist for the Norris trophy. Subban is 6ft 206lbs, and is 23 with a career ppg of 0.47. Doughty is 6ft 212lbs, is 22 years old and has almost twice as many games played with a career ppg of 0.51 while playing considerably better defence than subban.

Doughty is a winner and a leader, And I don't see a valid comparison between the two players..

Old
08-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Drew Doughty has won the Stanley cup, an Olympic gold medal and he has been a finalist for the Norris trophy. Subban is 6ft 206lbs, and is 23 with a career ppg of 0.47. Doughty is 6ft 212lbs, is 22 years old and has almost twice as many games played with a career ppg of 0.51 while playing considerably better defence than subban.

Doughty is a winner and a leader, And I don't see a valid comparison between the two players..
That's the best you can do? Bring up a very similar PPG and size? Talk about one being a ''winner'' due to a cup win and an Olympic Gold Medal, when the other wasn't in the NHL yet during the 2010 Games but has 2 WJC Gold Medals and did go to the ECF in his first few weeks as a NHLer. Not too mention Subban was part of a dominant AHL team in 2009-10 and went to the Memorial Cup in 2008. The guy has done plenty of winning in recent years.

The ''leader'' Doughty also missed most of camp last year holding out and took most of the season to hit his stride - I have him in a keeper league, so I am well informed on all things Doughty.

Doughty is better and should be elite for years to come, I don't think any Hab fan will argue otherwise, but the gap is not gigantic like you claim it is. Subban easily has the goods to be a #1 D.

From a non biased source: http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/7/29...wimp#storyjump

Old
08-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Assuming the Habs win the lottery this year (i know very slim chance but still) , id really don't know who they should pick. McKinnon would be nice and give us a nice 1-2 punch down the middle but Seth Jones is a beast and would round up the D corps very nicely. I know the pool is already pretty decent with Beaulieu , Tinordi , Thrower , Ellis , Dietz ect but Jones is a notch above all these guys imho (potential wise, Could change) and would be a pillar to build around.

On the other hand adding a potential future 70pts - PPG+ blue chip prospect in Mckinnon on top of another (Galchenyuk) would give solid offensive potential and a 1-2 punch down the middle the Habs haven't had in a looooooog time.

It would be an interesting dilemma of a dream scenario (well not exactly since it would means another season of misery but you know what i mean). That said the Habs can still potentially land a good prospect even if they draft in the 10-15 range (which is why i think will happen). Lots of good and intriguing prospects this year

Old
08-07-2012, 05:02 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

That's a really weak argument against a comparison that was "laughable."

Doughty had one incredible season, in which all but one of those accolades happened. No one is saying that Subban has had a better season than Doughty's best. As for the other accolade, Doughty wasn't make or break for the LA Kings. The Kings had a lot going for them. Doughty was a part of that, yes, but it wasn't "all him." If you swap Subban and Doughty on that team, I still think they win the cup.

Now, as for the rest: I guarantee you Subban is physically stronger than Doughty, so bringing up a 6 pound difference on stats that are probably outdated, without including relevant data such as body fat, or pertaining strength metrics, is, how you say, "laughable."

In the last two years, Doughty and Subban's point production has been virtually identical, as has been their plus minus. Doughty was considerably better in terms of plus/minus than Subban in 2010-2011, however, the converse was true in 2011-2012. despite Subban playing on the last place team in the conference.

The point being, that over the past 2 seasons, Doughty and Subban have been very close in terms of play.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
That's a really weak argument against a comparison that was "laughable."

Doughty had one incredible season, in which all but one of those accolades happened. No one is saying that Subban has had a better season than Doughty's best. As for the other accolade, Doughty wasn't make or break for the LA Kings. The Kings had a lot going for them. Doughty was a part of that, yes, but it wasn't "all him." If you swap Subban and Doughty on that team, I still think they win the cup.

Now, as for the rest: I guarantee you Subban is physically stronger than Doughty, so bringing up a 6 pound difference on stats that are probably outdated, without including relevant data such as body fat, or pertaining strength metrics, is, how you say, "laughable."

In the last two years, Doughty and Subban's point production has been virtually identical, as has been their plus minus. Doughty was considerably better in terms of plus/minus than Subban in 2010-2011, however, the converse was true in 2011-2012. despite Subban playing on the last place team in the conference.

The point being, that over the past 2 seasons, Doughty and Subban have been very close in terms of play.
This is just a member of "mullett nation" looking to stir up crap. Hopefully the mods send him back to his trailer park (Leafs board)

Old
08-08-2012, 05:50 AM
SOLR

Quote:

Kopitar
Brown
Doughty
Quick

We currently have:

Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
Subban
Price

They traded high picks in those "trades". Jack Johnson for Jeff Carter, Richards for Schenn and Simmunds...and they are about to trade Bernier for something. My point is, they had these 4 picks PLUS strong trading assets from the draft. Let's stop making up arguments out of thin air.

And no we couldn't get Carter with our assets outside of our top 4.

Last edited by SOLR: 08-08-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old
08-08-2012, 08:26 AM
DAChampion

People who compare the Habs core to the Kings core underestimate the strength of the Kings depth.

They have Jeff Carter as a role player ... Their defense is good. Vonyov and Scuderi, two guys we'd love to have.

Also, comparing Price to Quick and Galchenyuk to Kopitar is expecting two best case scenarios. If you're depending on luck that much, you better get more dice.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
People who compare the Habs core to the Kings core underestimate the strength of the Kings depth.

They have Jeff Carter as a role player ... Their defense is good. Vonyov and Scuderi, two guys we'd love to have.

Also, comparing Price to Quick and Galchenyuk to Kopitar is expecting two best case scenarios. If you're depending on luck that much, you better get more dice.
I'm actually hoping the Habs could be something like the Kings in a few years, draft well have a deep prospect pool which you can use to your advantage and make big deals. Not going to compare the market since i'm sure players would rather play in LA but they were in positions to make big trades like Penner and Richards+ Carter because of solid drafting. I guess we will find out next year depending on how our season goes

Closed Thread