HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sanding down ABS blade.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-07-2012, 12:41 PM
  #1
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy
 
kr580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
Sanding down ABS blade.

I bought an ABS blade for concrete/asphalt use but I couldn't find a blade that came in my preferred pattern so I got one with a square toe. Would it be a bad idea to sand it down to more of a rounded toe? Would that mess with the integrity of the blade?

I'm used to composite where you can crack it just about anywhere and the blade goes soft. Not sure if that's the case with ABS as well.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:57 PM
  #2
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I bought an ABS blade for concrete/asphalt use but I couldn't find a blade that came in my preferred pattern so I got one with a square toe. Would it be a bad idea to sand it down to more of a rounded toe? Would that mess with the integrity of the blade?

I'm used to composite where you can crack it just about anywhere and the blade goes soft. Not sure if that's the case with ABS as well.
I could be wrong, but I think the blades are semi-hollow inside.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:45 PM
  #3
mhkehoe
Registered User
 
mhkehoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I bought an ABS blade for concrete/asphalt use but I couldn't find a blade that came in my preferred pattern so I got one with a square toe. Would it be a bad idea to sand it down to more of a rounded toe? Would that mess with the integrity of the blade?

I'm used to composite where you can crack it just about anywhere and the blade goes soft. Not sure if that's the case with ABS as well.
Completely okay to do. The perk of the ABS blades is that they are meant to wear down. Since Reebok took over the Koho ABS production, I've loved the P44 Hedman curve except the square toe, so I just sand it into the shape I want.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:54 PM
  #4
AIREAYE
Registered User
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkehoe View Post
Completely okay to do. The perk of the ABS blades is that they are meant to wear down. Since Reebok took over the Koho ABS production, I've loved the P44 Hedman curve except the square toe, so I just sand it into the shape I want.
Mmm, not okay for some ABS blades. There are blades which have an outer wrap of fiberglass (Easton ABS) while others are simply moulded ABS (Reebok). If you sand the ones with an outside wrap, the ABS will shatter more easily on the inside.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:36 PM
  #5
mhkehoe
Registered User
 
mhkehoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Mmm, not okay for some ABS blades. There are blades which have an outer wrap of fiberglass (Easton ABS) while others are simply moulded ABS (Reebok). If you sand the ones with an outside wrap, the ABS will shatter more easily on the inside.
It should be fine unless the fiberglass separates from the ABS when sanding.

And the new Easton ABS look like they are built like the older Easton blades, and may not be as prone to the fiberglass separating (even without sanding).

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:21 AM
  #6
AIREAYE
Registered User
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
All 3 of mine have de-laminated from normal wear. It's actually pretty easy to seperate the fiberglass with your fingers after the initial bottom layer has worn away.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:41 AM
  #7
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy
 
kr580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
The blade in question is a Reebok 2K ABS. I actually used it today and it wasn't that bad so I might not sand it anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:51 AM
  #8
Bob Kudelski
Registered User
 
Bob Kudelski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Just play with the square toe. It will get naturally sanded down just from using it on concrete and will only last you about 5-10 games before the blade becomes about 2 inches thick and you need a new one.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:05 AM
  #9
AIREAYE
Registered User
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
The blade in question is a Reebok 2K ABS. I actually used it today and it wasn't that bad so I might not sand it anyway.

Thanks for the replies.
Does it have a sort of surface rough honeycomb pattern on it? If so, then it might be the same as the old Reebok 1K blade; that thing was a tank and might not be a huge risk to sand down.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:27 AM
  #10
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy
 
kr580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Does it have a sort of surface rough honeycomb pattern on it? If so, then it might be the same as the old Reebok 1K blade; that thing was a tank and might not be a huge risk to sand down.
It looks like a straight crosshatch pattern.


kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:34 AM
  #11
AIREAYE
Registered User
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
Ahh, I dunno then, never took a good look at it in person.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.