HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jeff Skinner Extension 6 years AAV of $5.725M

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Chicago Made Punk
\-|Stay Alive|-/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Really? Do you think they are even close to the same player?
Skinner's rookie season: 31 Goals 32 Assists, 63 Points
Tavares' rookie season: 24 Goals, 30 Assists, 54 Points

I don't know, you tell me.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

$4.35M is the non-arbitration year. Skinner needs 4 years to be arbitration eligible.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Xoggz22

The major issue I have with this contract is that UFA years were bought while Skinner is still on his ELC? Agree or disagree with the money but why on earth would you jump a contract?

For all the supid things Scott Howson has done, the one thing he has managed to NOT do was take a player coming off his ELC and buy UFA years. It's one of the few times a team has leverage to control a contract. After that second deal arbitration rights can impact the deal and, of course, every GM buys UFA years when extending a guy in his mid-20's coming off his second contract but not from an entry deal. That's a sticking point for me.

Give him a nice 2, 3 or 4 year deal, keep him a RFA and then give him the big deal. Hope if works out for the Canes but seems like a big jump to me.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:52 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
2nd contract is the new 3rd contract.

Heckuva player, and if I was a Canes fan you can bet I'd be glad to have him locked up regardless of the contract. But yeah, that is a lot for a 2-year vet no matter how you slice it.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Elever
Hth

Rutherford has made some bad contract decisions but this takes the cake. I hope for their sake that if the team is ever competitive again and near the cap, they have someone else managing it. Unlike the other contracts he's given out, Skinner is actually a great player worth this if he was a UFA but giving this to him right now is reckless.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Like a million overpaid with all the optics considered... still young and buys up some UFA years... Seems like a lot but I think it will work out if he can at least produce.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:15 AM
caniac247

The overpayment screamers are in full force I see. Most expected his next contract to be about $5M per. So JR adds on an extra $750,000 and buys out 2 years of UFA.

Is the contract high now, a tad, but in year 2 of that contract it'll be a steal. This kid is a special player. He's got some maturing to do, but he has the skill.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:16 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Rutherford has made some bad contract decisions but this takes the cake. I hope for their sake that if the team is ever competitive again and near the cap, they have someone else managing it. Unlike the other contracts he's given out, Skinner is actually a great player worth this if he was a UFA but giving this to him right now is reckless.
I wouldn't be mad if my team, the Pens, handed this deal out and we usually stay closer to the cap. I think you are far far far trying to make this sound worse than it is.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:17 AM
syc

Good to see the Canes doing well but I hope they are prepared for concession and ticket price increases.

Either that or the owner has some insider information that he's getting a bucket of cash from rev sharing.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:19 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
Good to see the Canes doing well but I hope they are prepared for concession and ticket price increases.

Either that or the owner has some insider information that he's getting a bucket of cash from rev sharing.
Or they just signed a new TV contract and brought in a group of new minority owners and hit an all-time high in season tickets and intend to make playoff revenue this season.

How about we do our research before going the "revenue sharing" route, hm?

Old
08-08-2012, 11:20 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Let me repeat for everyone that missed it: Skinner has 1 more year of his ELC deal, 1 year at 4.35m (more than fair) then 5 years at 6m. You're telling me he's probably not gonna be worth 6m 2 years from now? The fact that there's likely to be a rollback just adds to the value.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Petro Points

with the cap likely going up to 70M , this is a very good signing for Canes.

Overpaying by a million for a star player in a 70M cap world is nothing to be concerned about.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:30 AM
vanwest

The key to building a good team is locking up your young players. We've seen the insane contracts that get handed out in free agency. I think that we'll see more and more contracts like this Skinner one where GM's decide to lock up a young player early even before they know whether they will earn the contract later. Is it a risk? Sure. But it's also a big risk to let these type of players hit free agency. Given what we've seen from Skinner to date, I think this is a smart and calculated risk well worth taking.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:32 AM
LordCyrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
2nd contract is the new 3rd contract.
I was thinking the same thing. The jump from the ELC to the 2nd contract is crazy now.

A little steep but whatever. It's not like the Canes had any intention of moving him.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:44 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
The key to building a good team is locking up your young players. We've seen the insane contracts that get handed out in free agency. I think that we'll see more and more contracts like this Skinner one where GM's decide to lock up a young player early even before they know whether they will earn the contract later. Is it a risk? Sure. But it's also a big risk to let these type of players hit free agency. Given what we've seen from Skinner to date, I think this is a smart and calculated risk well worth taking.
They really didn't lock him up, that is what some ppl are saying here, there isn't anything wrong with the price, but the term is just not right.

This contract makes Skinner a UFA at 27 years old. The Canes only "locked" him up for ufa years.

Had the Canes signed him to 2 year deal for his 2nd contract, he would still be an RFA and they would then be able to "lock" him up for long term contract.

Last edited by habs03: 08-08-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old
08-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
There really didn't lock him up, that is what some ppl are saying here, there isn't anything wrong with the price, but the term is just not right.

This contract makes Skinner a UFA at 27 years old. The Canes only "locked" him up for ufa years.

Had the Canes signed him to 2 year deal for his 2nd contract, he would still be an RFA and they would then be able to "lock" him up for long term contract.
Is he not under contract for 7 more years, until 2019? That isn't "locked up"? Now there isn't a risk of somebody throwing a ridiculous RFA offer at him. Also, as Rutherford courts free agents in future years, he can say that he has a strong core (Staal,Staal, Skinner, Ward) in place for years. If Faulk has another strong year, I wouldnt' be surprised to see Rutherford do something similar with him.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
When Tavares signed his contract he scored 53 goals and 68 assists in 161 games good for .751 points per game.

When Skinners signs this contract he has scored 51 goals and 56 assists in 146 games good for .732 points per game.

Obviously Tavares lived up to the extension he got, but from a negotiating stand point they were in almost exactly the same situation.
Tavares also plays center which is more of a premium position though.

And to the guy who posted Tavares' first year stats vs Skinners and saying that has any bearing on the talent levels of each, that's just silly... Tavares has completely changed from his rookie season. I think 99% of gms
would take JT over Skinner in a second. That's not a knock on skinner so much as jus JT is an incredible player already and plays a more sought after position

Last edited by Noreaster96: 08-08-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old
08-08-2012, 12:02 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Is he not under contract for 7 more years, until 2019? That isn't "locked up"? Now there isn't a risk of somebody throwing a ridiculous RFA offer at him. Also, as Rutherford courts free agents in future years, he can say that he has a strong core (Staal,Staal, Skinner, Ward) in place for years. If Faulk has another strong year, I wouldnt' be surprised to see Rutherford do something similar with him.
Out of those 7 years, 5 of those years are RFA years.

Ppl are over blowing these "offersheet issue "out of proportion.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

How in the world is this a bad contract in any way? It had ZERO chance of ever putting us near the cap, it locks up one of the best young scorers in the league, the kid still isn't 20 so he's likely going to get better, he's also now playing on a much better offensive team and likely to score more this season. I'm willing to bet he would have been next years biggest RFA. Never know what sort of offer sheet someone could throw at him. I bet he could have gotten this offer sheet next year. So, now u invest in the kid a little early to lock down a potential superstar that is a fan favorite. The Canes have their highest season ticket sales of all time this year and we have new minority ownership that put money into the organization. That all adds up to make this a good deal for Car.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

You got to think a little to realize why this is a good deal for the Hurricanes.

Like many others have said, he's still got one year left on his ELC, so this doesn't matter this season. The next season his contract is a little bit under 5 million, probably what he would have got on a regular second contract. Now they have a guy who could be a PPG 40 goal scorer locked up for 6 years after his ELC expires at a very healthy cap hit.

If Skinner is even only a 35-35 guy for the duration of this contract, doesn't it look good? Lets say Skinner scores 45 goals in the final year of what many think they should have done, a bridge deal, how much money does Skinner get on his third contract? With how much the cap goes up, that deal could have been over $8 million a season.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Out of those 7 years, 5 of those years are RFA years.

Ppl are over blowing these "offersheet issue "out of proportion.
Yes or no. Is Skinner locked up for the next 7 years. This is really that simple. And speculating on RFA years etc is kind of pointless with a new CBA coming.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
I think this deal will look really good for the Canes in a few years. Great move.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
You got to think a little to realize why this is a good deal for the Hurricanes.

Like many others have said, he's still got one year left on his ELC, so this doesn't matter this season. The next season his contract is a little bit under 5 million, probably what he would have got on a regular second contract. Now they have a guy who could be a PPG 40 goal scorer locked up for 6 years after his ELC expires at a very healthy cap hit.

If Skinner is even only a 35-35 guy for the duration of this contract, doesn't it look good? Lets say Skinner scores 45 goals in the final year of what many think they should have done, a bridge deal, how much money does Skinner get on his third contract? With how much the cap goes up, that deal could have been over $8 million a season.
Considering he has exactly one good season in his career, supposing that he'll get 35 goals and 35 assists for the duration of this contract extension may be a significant leap. And 45 goals will simply not happen, especially not in today's insanely low scoring NHL. They should have signed him to a shorter term deal, say two years in length, with the understanding that he'd use that term to prove himself as a reliable, consistent year-to-year scorer and then sign him to a long term extension worth mondo bucks (Alex Ovechkin hasn't hit 45 goals in three years, FFS). And that's not even getting into the personality issues the guy apparently has.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:08 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

The main issue is deal makes Skinner a ufa/ or atleast takes him to status at the perfect age of 27 years old. That means when he is up for his next deal, the guy is going to want a Parise type contract.

Had he signed a 2-3 year deal, and on the 3rd contract then Canes re-signed him for another 6 years while he was still an RFA at the end of the 2nd contract. He would be up for his next contract at 29-30.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:10 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
Considering he has exactly one good season in his career, supposing that he'll get 35 goals and 35 assists for the duration of this contract extension may be a significant leap. And 45 goals will simply not happen, especially not in today's insanely low scoring NHL. They should have signed him to a shorter term deal, say two years in length, with the understanding that he'd use that term to prove himself as a reliable, consistent year-to-year scorer and then sign him to a long term extension worth mondo bucks (Alex Ovechkin hasn't hit 45 goals in three years, FFS). And that's not even getting into the personality issues the guy apparently has.
Posts like this make HF so much fun.

Closed Thread