HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber's Deal Finalized, Contains no NMC/NTC

Old
08-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Weber's Deal Finalized, Contains no NMC/NTC

according to cooper

Last edited by Seth Lake: 09-05-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:16 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

...yet.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:33 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I hope they keep the no trade clause out of there.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:58 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
I hope they keep the no trade clause out of there.
same here.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Good.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Legionnaire11

I still don't have a problem with adding a NTC/NMC. The way the contract is structured there's no way we're trading Weber.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:54 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I still don't have a problem with adding a NTC/NMC. The way the contract is structured there's no way we're trading Weber.
Because if he demands trade in future we can tradehim to any team for whatever we want rather than him choosing where he goes a la rick nash we can get more for him this way if it ever came down to it

AlsoMakes him less likely to ever demand trade if we control his destiny and not him

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Speaking as a fan who had a similar "despite some worries just before committing to our team, such details will absolutely never matter" contract just get moved recently... if things go disastrously wrong in unanticipated ways, the flexibility will be needed and welcomed.

It probably won't matter. But it might.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

This contract should be finalized by now.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

The fact that this contract still hasn't been finalized is a bit of a worry to me.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:37 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
The fact that this contract still hasn't been finalized is a bit of a worry to me.
As well as OTF.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2012/8...o-trade-clause

It's almost like he's thinking of not playing without one. So weird.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
This. We really need him after the crazy bonuses are gone are hes a bargain.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:50 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

In principle I would say "screw you" to his agents but its really a moot point, he isnt going to be traded any time soon.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

There is no way Weber should get a NMC or a NTC. If he does, Poile should be fired on the spot. That is far too much of a risk. If Weber chooses to hold out, he has shown his true colors and frankly I don't want a guy that doesn't want to be here on this team.

Personally, I think Weber is shocked and disappointed we matched. It almost seems like he had already moved on from us.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:19 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
There is no way Weber should get a NMC or a NTC. If he does, Poile should be fired on the spot. That is far too much of a risk. If Weber chooses to hold out, he has shown his true colors and frankly I don't want a guy that doesn't want to be here on this team.

Personally, I think Weber is shocked and disappointed we matched. It almost seems like he had already moved on from us.
Really?? What exactly makes you say that? can you cite anything Weber has said that supports that view?

because everything I have seen and read suggested that he hoped the Preds would match, and Philly was his safe landing spot if they didnt.

His agents are pissed because Philly would have presented significantly more non-hockey opportunity for endorsements, but Weber himself seems to be pretty pleased.

Poile should talk to Weber, and if he wants the NTC because he only wants to be here, then Poile should give it to him, because, truthfully, there is no way we trade him after spending that much cash early on... and once he becomes cheap, he will be hard to trade because his cap hit will exceed his worth by that age.

but "fire Poile on the spot??"

get real....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:38 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think a partial NTC/NMC would be OK. Let him submit a short list of teams he will NOT go to, and then leave the rest of the League open. You give him what he wants (sort of), but you remain flexible in case he has to be traded later.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:45 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Was the initial $13m signing bonus due as soon as the team matched the offer sheet, or is it due when the contract is finalized. Seems to me it would be due when it's finalized. Could that be the hold up? Getting all of the cash together?

Old
08-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think a partial NTC/NMC would be OK. Let him submit a short list of teams he will NOT go to, and then leave the rest of the League open. You give him what he wants (sort of), but you remain flexible in case he has to be traded later.
that's still shooting yourself in the foot ... there shouldn't be a NTC/NMC at all ... Offer Sheet is an "as is" SPC ... no addition, nothing taken out

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:03 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't see how. If he is only allowed a list of 5-10 teams he wouldn't go to (he can still change his mind about those teams) you still hypothetically have the best defenseman in the world being shopped to 20-25 other teams. It isn't like we're going to move him to the minors anyway, so there really is no sense in making a distinction between the NTC and NMC. I say if a compromise makes things go smoother you give him the limited NMC, let him make a list of crappy teams he won't go to, and move on.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think that Poile can work it out to where it doesn't go into effect immediately (so if he plays or acts like he wants out during the first season he can be traded anywhere). Similarly, it doesn't have to cover the entire length of the contract.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:14 PM
RaiderDoug

How much of a threat is a holdout?

I don't see that as likely. The CBA could change drastically on Sept 15th. If he holds out beyond that point, then he wouldn't have a signed contract (only an offer sheet), and then wouldn't any new contracts initiated after that point be subject to the terms of the new CBA? And this was what he was trying to avoid at this point.

I don't see not having the cash as a holdup. If the Preds didn't have all the i's dotted and the t's crossed on the day they matched the contract, they wouldn't have done it.

Weber's agents are simply using whatever they can to try and get the best deal possible for his agent. They've got a losing hand on this (as much as one worth 110 million or whatever is) so there's no rush, and if the Preds cave, so much the better.

If Poile wants to meet in the middle (for the sake of the happiness of your franchise player), then, as suggested above, have a partial NTC where Weber can submit a list of 5-10 teams to be traded to.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:41 PM
MarkMM

Absolutely no way he should be given a NTC/NMC, and though I'm not normally one for hysterics about firing people on the spot, giving a NTC/NMC to Weber when there's absolutely no need to is as close to a fireable offense as I can think.

If Weber needed a NTC/NMC, then he shouldn't have signed an offer sheet knowing full-well that a NTC/NMC could not be a clause that needed to be matched. He took a gamble going for the cash, Nashville called the bluff, live with it.

For those saying "no way he can be traded" because of the cash up front, well, the future can come with unexpected endings, the ONLY insurance Nashville had when they committed to this deal was knowing that with no NTC/NMC, if needed, Weber could be moved after this year. And in fact, because a huge chunk of the cash is eaten up front, this only makes Weber even MORE valuable to a trading partner, allowing Nashville to take a hit cash-wise, but command an unbelievable return...IF he can be ransomed off to 29 other teams.

And while I like Weber, believe he likes it in Nashville, the truth is that we've been surprised twice now, first with Suter and then with this offer sheet. Don't bet on anything other than the need to protect the Predators leverage. If Weber becomes unhappy next year or any year going forward, without a NTC/NMC, Nashville can do what it needs to do, and Weber had better behave himself. Otherwise, with a NTC/NMC, Weber can become unhappy, demand to be traded, and give his list of trade partners as being that of Philly or Vancouver and tell Poile get it done or I pout.

Zero reason to give Weber a NTC/NMC, and several reasons not to. The "why not, it likely won't be needed" is hardly a reason.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:18 PM
predfan98

if the franchise player can't be happy with $14 million then he shouldn't have signed an offer sheet.

no ****ing way we should give him an kind of ntc/nmc......

sorry weber, if you use your agents and give this excuse ,"this is just business and it's not anything to do with me".... no dice..... you put on your big boy pants, take responsibility and sign the damned thing

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Top 6 Spaling

why the **** would we give him an NTC? If he demands a trade later down the road, I want all options open.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:58 PM
preds1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
why the **** would we give him an NTC? If he demands a trade later down the road, I want all options open.
Same here. Love Weber, but he put us in this position all by himself with signing the Philly offersheet.

Man up or play for a team we can get the best return from. I doubt it comes to that though.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Prongo
Beer

There is a rumor floating around that he is yet to sign his SPC with you guys as of August 8th. It seems the NTC/NMC is probably the reason why he hasn't. You guys getting worried about this somewhat with the CBA about to expire and him not inking that contract yet?

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote