HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Meszaros: Achilles tendon surgery (Aug. 7); Nov. 13 update, post #260

Old
08-08-2012, 01:09 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
The Flyers already have 2 average at best #6 veteran defenseman, why bring in another one in Eminger? makes little sense.
Oh wait, nmind. we dont like playing our young defenseman over long stretches.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:23 AM
dats81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
What we have to realize is that even if he's going to be out at least half the season, he will still play this season. So we'd need to get someone for cheap, or cheap-ish.
We are talking about the Flyers and I fear someone else will go down with some major injury the day Meszaros will be ready to return to the lineup.

Timonen had back surgery, Grossmann had knee surgery and is wearing a brace on his other knee, Bourdon is as injury prone as a young defenseman could possibly be...there is no need to not spend up to the cap unless they still hope Doan will come here.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 06:16 AM
StandingCow

Ugh.... :/

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The posters claiming that things will be all right with this D (HiJLcoward) are completely dillusional. Sorry but the Flyers last year against defensive teams got completely neutered and disembowled b/c they had no effective threat from the backend. The Devils and Rangers were the most effective at it. They just collapsed on our forwards and forechecked the crap out of our banged up and less mobile D. The addition of Schenn and Gervais is not going to change any of that IMO. The loss of Carle will actually be felt more than some people think and this is coming from somebody who wasn't thrilled with him but who always felt he received a bit too much fad hate...

This patchwork D will hold up for a while and if Bryz can win way more games on his own but come the second half they will need serious help if they want to not be fighting for a playoff spot and making some noise if they actually make it. Chalk this year up as possibly being volatile.

Having said this..they need to weather the storm and keep their young nucleus and just suck this crappy luck up.....

Maybe a lockout till Jan will suit this team considering our situation..would suck but be better for us.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 08-09-2012 at 12:16 AM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
The posters claiming that things will be all right with this D "corpse" are completely dillusional. Sorry but the Flyers last year against defensive teams got completely neutered and disembowled b/c they had no effective threat from the backend. The Devils and Rangers were the most effective at it. They just collapsed on our forwards and forechecked the crap out of our banged up and less mobile D. The addition of Schenn and Gervais is not going to change any of that IMO. The loss of Carle will actually be felt more than some people think and this is coming from somebody who wasn't thrilled with him but who always felt he received a bit too much fad hate...

This patchwork D will hold up for a while and if Bryz can win way more games on his own but come the second half they will need serious help if they want to not be fighting for a playoff spot and making some noise if they actually make it. Chalk this year up as possibly being volatile.

Having said this..they need to weather the storm and keep their young nucleus and just suck this crappy luck up.....

Maybe a lockout till Jan will suit this team considering our situation..would suck but be better for us.
I agree, except for the bolded. I'd rather watch a crappy hockey team then no hockey team.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:27 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

We don't need more #6-7 D.

We need another D that is at least top 4....top 2 would be better but at this point not realistic.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:07 AM
elecguitardude27

Stay with what you have and don't panic. Mez will come back before the playoffs hopefully. Or get Hannan, guy is as solid as a rock.

elecguitardude27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Prongo
Beer

Go out and get Shea Weber, answers all of our questions!

Seriously though, I believe we should see how the young kids do in camp. Invite veterans in for some tryouts like others have said and see where it goes from there. I don't know why but for some reason I think Manning will step up. He was very poised for his first call up last year and really didn't look out of place. I wish I could see how he played for the Phantoms, but don't have access to their games. I think he could be one of the surprises in our camp this year.

I still have a feeling Weber will end up in Philly, and not at the age of 35. Homer and our organization loves him, so maybe in 2-3 years if Nashville struggles they will open up to the idea of trading him. That would also give our young prospects time to develop and maybe become more valuable in a trade scenario.

Or go get Gudbranson!!!! I just love that dude. He is a stud in the making there.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The Rise and Fall of the Flyers Defense

First pic represents the acquisition of Prongs.....the demise then works it's way down to the latest loss of a 20 minute per game player in Mesz.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Prongo
Beer

I also love people on the main board saying Mez is a 5-6 defender on our team. What #5-6 defenders play 20 mins a night??

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:52 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I also love people on the main board saying Mez is a 5-6 defender on our team. What #5-6 defenders play 20 mins a night??
Teams with limited options like ours now...

Old
08-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Amateur Hour

Today in Tim Panaccio is a bumbling buffoon who has no ****ing clue what he's talking about: "Michal Rozsival is going to cost [the Flyers] more than Matt Carle." Uh, WHAT?! Rozsival is going to get a contract with an AAV in excess for $5.5M? In what universe? This isn't 2008, you clod. Timmeh is just lucky that nobody else on DNL is knowledgable enough about hockey to call him on his BS.

Watch the video for the quote... http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...377&feedID=704

It's also amusing how Panaccio likes Carlo Colaiacovo so much yet doesn't know how to pronounce his last name. His continued employment is a blight upon CSNPhilly and the entire Flyers organization. Seriously, this is the guy you want acting as a liason for the fans? It's a constant embarrassment to our collective intelligence.

/rant

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:33 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Today in Tim Panaccio is a bumbling buffoon who has no ****ing clue what he's talking about: "Michal Rozsival is going to cost [the Flyers] more than Matt Carle." Uh, WHAT?! Rozsival is going to get a contract with an AAV in excess for $5.5M? In what universe? This isn't 2008, you clod. Timmeh is just lucky that nobody else on DNL is knowledgable enough about hockey to call him on his BS.

Watch the video for the quote... http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...377&feedID=704

It's also amusing how Panaccio likes Carlo Colaiacovo so much yet doesn't know how to pronounce his last name. His continued employment is a blight upon CSNPhilly and the entire Flyers organization. Seriously, this is the guy you want acting as a liason for the fans? It's a constant embarrassment to our collective intelligence.

/rant
Rozsival can get 5.5 million or more. In the KHL.
Colaiacovo sucks and is always broken. pass.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:48 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Today in Tim Panaccio is a bumbling buffoon who has no ****ing clue what he's talking about: "Michal Rozsival is going to cost [the Flyers] more than Matt Carle."
Yeah, I saw this too. The whole thing was terrible hockey reporting.

.. at the end I think he was trying to name Spacek as well, but couldn't find the words.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:22 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Offersheet Kulikov. Try and work out a deal with Tallon if they don't want the picks. Or just work out a trade.

If not, Rozsival/Colaiacovo might be okay, but our depth already looks like this:

Timonen
Coburn
Grossmann
Schenn
Gervais
Bourdon
Gustafsson
Lilja
Manning

... I think it's safe to say we don't need any 'depth' defenders. Need a high-end puck mover (Kulikov, Subban, Carlson) that can play solid defense too. We have more physicality on our back-end and now we just need some offensive flair, and I think Kulikov is perfect.

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:08 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Whenever I hear Flyers GM Paul Holmgren say the magical words, "We like our team," my mind begins its automatic countdown.

Much like NASA, waiting for a rover to land on Mars, I'm waiting after those words to hear within 24 hours that the club has traded for someone.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...ayoffs/2/45975

Homer isnt going to sit he will do something..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Krishna

Is that surprising?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:43 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1462
Again, from Tim P.:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...585&feedID=695

Quote:
Last week, the Flyers announced that Andrej Meszaros would be out indefinitely following a tear to his right Achilles tendon. Meszaros likely will miss most, if not all, of the regular season.

Sources said then that Meszaros’ realistic goal was to be healthy for the playoffs.

Given the CBA negotiations, the NHL is facing a lockout. No one knows whether there will be a season.

The only silver lining for Holmgren is that a lockout gains the Flyers some recovery time.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 05:54 PM
cheesesteak

Here's a article by SanFilippo on Flyers.com doesn't look like it's been posted.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=639612

Quote:
“The doctors told me that it’s tough to say because it depends on the treatment and how the body reacts,” Meszaros said. “I go see the doctor again on Aug. 20. He’ll give me a better idea then and maybe I can start doing treatment and rehab.”

Despite there being so much unknown, Meszaros is remaining optimistic. He knows he has a long road to recovery ahead of him, but at the same time is confident that it won’t be as long as a lot of people might think.

“I believe I’m going to play this year,” he said. “I don’t know how many games it will be, but I will play. I will play as many games as I can.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-12-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Showed part of article
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

The way that Bettman and Fehr are negotiating, Meszaros will likely be ready for opening night.

Tyler Biggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post

Here's a article by SanFilippo on Flyers.com doesn't look like it's been posted.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=639612
He looks like he's in pain...

Yeah at this point a lockout would benefit the Flyers...not hockey fans but I can handle a few months of reprieve. I will just watch some more Sixers games since they now have a decent center although it would be the Sixers luck if he turned out to be the next Jeff Ruland....

Old
08-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

People wishing for a lockout just piss me off.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:17 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
People wishing for a lockout just piss me off.
I'm pissed at the fact that some of these guys are so ****ing stubborn (such as the owners and possibly Fehr) that they can't reach anything. They proposed that players get 46%, why not just go half and half at 50-50? Goes from 57% to 50%, but still, it's something. Owners get an extra 7% in revenue. Wouldn't doubt if some of the owners don't give a **** if the NHL goes into lockout and some that wouldn't give a **** if they lost their fanbase, because the team could be sold to someone who can pay and the previous owner can now not hold onto something he doesn't give a **** about. And that pisses me off as well.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:19 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
The way that Bettman and Fehr are negotiating, Meszaros will likely be ready for opening night.
yup, opening night October 2013

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:26 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongolium View Post
people wishing for a lockout just piss me off.
Wishing for a LOCKOUT.....

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote