HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

It can still be brutal out there

Old
08-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
funny this thread to come up...

I was playing evening shinny against tutors with a buncha kids varying in skill from Midget house to Jr A...

with the exception of one guy... a younger man, in his 20's of which you could tell was not a strong skater and had a edge to him...

everyone gave him room on the puck to do what he wanted, yet he' would just freak out if the opposing team scored (I mean its shinny and shots on tutors... it doesn't mean anything)
he broke a totalOne, then got mad that he broke his total one

later on, some guy lifts his stick and takes the puck... and he swings at his head

thing is here...
its not that this is "hockey", its that there are crazies like this guy (which I think must have terets as he got dressed quickly, and yelled fck you f ag0tz when he left the change room)

who are out there, and the problem with hockey is that people like them then have the equipment, stick an skate that they will use to express their agression...

its the same kinda guys that are in the papers for violent crimes, that really shoud avoid this game

another thing...
Hockey is a game of emotion, but its the rules and speed allow certain liberty's to be taken, requiring a a higher level of self-governess... as opposed to basketball football or soccer

however, anyone who's played the game (or heck any sport) to any level in minor/jr/sr level, all know that rec non-contact league type games & shinny... are just that and how to maintain focus on the game
In fact I'd say great players in top tier non-contact divisions in top tier leagues, with "acceptable" level of contact, know to remain disciplined... and to focus on the game

its those wannabe low-mid tier players, rocking those pro-star numbers, who seemingly immitate the anti's that they see in the Show... not apparently knowing the difference between doing what it takes to win in the NHL, vs winning in low-level rec

I'm a fair player, but I give things back... I play both in a mid and high tier league in rec these days, and I much prefer the high-tier games...
yes I can do end-to-end rushes and score more points/dangle in my lower league games, but... man some people are idiots, including some one my team.

the other day... this weak skating asshat, comes forechecking in, and has a tendency to hit our d-men to slow down, even if the puck isn't anywhere near. but its not like he's even trying to stop, he puts his elbows out and after a while I know its intentional, and his way to "get space" down low, while not drawing attention as he never is the one carrying the puck in or chasing it.

he's throwing elbows, has no control of his stick, and it appears to, purposely hold his handle to be able to butt-end at will...
I always protect my space down low, and we give it to each other a bit... I'm good cause I'm used to this type of stick and body play... but I'm getting under his skin
he's one of those guys who often lets go of the lower hand on his stick... so I wack the stick out of his hand a couple times (so easy to do cause its like he wasn't paying attention) and
I tell him to keep a strong stick

anyways... we get to the corner, the puck gets lost at his feet, so I pin him to the boards and loose it up for my winger to pick it up...
while I keep him pinned and watch for the puck to loose, he starts using his skates pronger style on my foot

talk about uncalled for... of course the ref's don't see it, but I'm in agony cause he ended up brusing the top of my foot... I beak him, but I can't do anytihng as now my foot felt like it was sprained

I play a clean game, will up the anti-- if its required, but still remain within the rules of the game... some people seriously go buck-**** crazy and do the most insane things
Definitely not torrette's... maybe he's a schizo and the voices in his head tell him to do these things haha. Insane though. I can't believe some guys have such little control over their emotions that they'll actually consider hurting someone in a game that means absolutely nothing. Pitiful. If I were you, I would either talk to this kid off the ice or "see" him off the ice and show him what's up.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:47 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
I can't believe some guys have such little control over their emotions that they'll actually consider hurting someone in a game that means absolutely nothing. Pitiful.
I agree but nothing is that surprising any more, not when you have nutjobs going into theaters and shooting people.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Honestly i'm surprised, but then again i'm really not. People beat their own families members all the time........

Sneaky Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Your just-for-fun rec league has trades?
Believe it or not, it does but it's more to try to keep teams even.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:46 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Believe it or not, it does but it's more to try to keep teams even.
Our Roller League Does. Its only 6 teams , but everyone is pretty chill with everyone else. It adds a level of fun sometimes.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:31 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Cant say I haven't seen players like that.

Luckily there are a lot of leagues to choose from around here, so its easy to get away from guys like this. Everyone knows who they are, what team they play for.

Hope the guy heals fast and the offender goes to jail for awhile. Also, if most of the comments about this individual being let back in the league after incidents like this before, the league manager should be fired.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Fanned On It

I was actually thinking about this and I remembered a time a couple of seasons ago where some guy in the D league (our lowest league here) attempted to cross-check me in the neck. Luckily I sort of backed off as I saw it coming, so the impact wasn't that strong... but that could've really sucked for me if I hadn't. I find that it's usually the absolutely TERRIBLE skaters who resort to this kind of goonery. They realize that they're terrible at hockey so their frustration level rises and instead of just letting it go and trying harder, they blow off their steam through violence. They're unstable people. Of course, this isn't to say that these guys can't be good skaters as well, just in my experience it's usually the bad skaters that are hacking/slashing uncontrollably.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote