HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

2012-2013 Blues Prospects

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2012, 06:51 PM
  #101
ExJbeck
Registered User
 
ExJbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Bernmeister comes in peace.

.. inquiring as to Shattenkirk.

I don't anticipate a match, but it never hurts to ask.

Just my opinion, not any official speculation or rumor, that Rangers might move Girardi/Staal for upgrade --- assume for discussion purposes it is an F, likely a W. We would need a D, preferably righty, to replenish.

What REASONABLE overpayment can be made for KS? That is what I'm trying to figure out. I expect you probably will need all your D, but I still want to be sure.

Blues had a very fine team with a great season, congrats!
Please advise in order of priority what you consider St. Louis' needs to be and indicate degree of severity as to need; MAYBE we can address same.

Obviously, stuff beginning w/Kreider/McDonagh is DOA.
MDZ looks like reasonable Coke for Pepsi, but it is coke for pepsi.

Is there a match? Can we get close on a player, add a couple picks/prospects?

Please advise, thanks in advance.
I dont think NYR can make a realistic offer that would work for both teams. A Staal for KS trade would value wise be close IMO, but its not a move i can see the Blues making.

ExJbeck is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 08:58 PM
  #102
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 17,184
vCash: 50
Trading Shattenkirk to fill our LH dman hole would just create a bigger hole on the right side.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 12:30 AM
  #103
aceoutdoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I think the reason we're seeing more players come across has entirely to do with Doug Armstrong and the relationships he's nurtured with these guys. He's made a strong effort to have a presence overseas, and has done some long arduous travel to keep in touch with these players. The guy fully earned and deserved the GM of the Year award, and we're lucky to have him.
I agree 100%. I hope he gets Hakanpaa over in the next year.

aceoutdoor is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
  #104
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Hey beermeister [sic]!

Shattenkirk over Staal would not be an upgrade over your current d-corps. But it would not necessarily be worse. It would be different.

Shattenkrik is not untouchable.

Our two biggest needs are top-pairing LHD and a #1 center or at least center depth with the hope that Berglund can develop.
Apparently I was not clear.

Shattenkrik is nice to have, but not an upgrade to either Girardi or Staal.
However, I am envisioning that along with Stepan, Girardi and/or Staal could either or both be moved for even more borderline elite help at F, without a D coming back.

So I am trying to figure out what you need and what we have.
We can't offer a top pair LD. Closest to that would be Del Zotto; MDZ for Shats = coke for pepsi, mostly.

A #1 C (Richards) could not be included. Stepan is also out for reason of the scenario I described, any other reasons besides. We'd be gambling on JT Miller at 2C (with Kreider + Callahan) and Yogan possibly at 3C.

However, 'center depth' might still be workable

The Black Hawks forum was split about Brian Boyle + x for Dylan Olsen + y.

Interested in Rupp and a pick?

bernmeister is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
  #105
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP27Blues View Post
I dont think NYR can make a realistic offer that would work for both teams. A Staal for KS trade would value wise be close IMO, but its not a move i can see the Blues making.
Even if Staal on the table Staal worth more than KS.
MDZ kind of close [and Staal >> than MDZ], but again, that's coke for pepsi.

I don't expect we will be able to find common interest, but wanted to inquire anyway.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 02:30 PM
  #106
sdaltons
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Apparently I was not clear.

Shattenkrik is nice to have, but not an upgrade to either Girardi or Staal.
However, I am envisioning that along with Stepan, Girardi and/or Staal could either or both be moved for even more borderline elite help at F, without a D coming back.

So I am trying to figure out what you need and what we have.
We can't offer a top pair LD. Closest to that would be Del Zotto; MDZ for Shats = coke for pepsi, mostly.

A #1 C (Richards) could not be included. Stepan is also out for reason of the scenario I described, any other reasons besides. We'd be gambling on JT Miller at 2C (with Kreider + Callahan) and Yogan possibly at 3C.

However, 'center depth' might still be workable

The Black Hawks forum was split about Brian Boyle + x for Dylan Olsen + y.

Interested in Rupp and a pick?
pass on Rupp. Nichol may not be as good, but he fills that role. if the Blues bring in a center, its going to be someone with some real offensive upside.

sdaltons is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:23 PM
  #107
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Apparently I was not clear.

Shattenkrik is nice to have, but not an upgrade to either Girardi or Staal.
However, I am envisioning that along with Stepan, Girardi and/or Staal could either or both be moved for even more borderline elite help at F, without a D coming back.

So I am trying to figure out what you need and what we have.
We can't offer a top pair LD. Closest to that would be Del Zotto; MDZ for Shats = coke for pepsi, mostly.

A #1 C (Richards) could not be included. Stepan is also out for reason of the scenario I described, any other reasons besides. We'd be gambling on JT Miller at 2C (with Kreider + Callahan) and Yogan possibly at 3C.

However, 'center depth' might still be workable

The Black Hawks forum was split about Brian Boyle + x for Dylan Olsen + y.

Interested in Rupp and a pick?
Exactly! You were not clear. My response was based on my interpretation of your cryptic post. S'all good.

My assumption was that you make a trade in order to better the team. Your proposal was sideways, so why would you make such a proposal? I guess I don't see NYR as a good trading partner just yet. Let's talk again as we near the trade deadline.

ChicagoBlues is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 08:45 PM
  #108
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
... S'all good. .... Let's talk again as we near the trade deadline.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 08:47 PM
  #109
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
pass on Rupp. Nichol may not be as good, but he fills that role. if the Blues bring in a center, its going to be someone with some real offensive upside.
I concur

bernmeister is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 03:53 PM
  #110
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex
 
TheOrganist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,712
vCash: 500
Schmaltz was one of the first cuts at the World Junior Evaluation Camp.

He had an uphill battle making the team with Seth Jones and Jacob Trouba already locked into the top two pairs on the right side but I'm sure he's pretty disappoined to be gone this early.

I know that JS and his family had some issues with the NTDP brass back in the day and it's the reason why his highly touted brother Nick is playing in Green Bay next year and not Ann Arbor.

Everyone always has some NTDP conspiracy theories but I know that is true...who knows if it played a part in the decision making process.

Chris Peters said he was just OK during and that wasn't going to cut it with some really good defenseman in camp.

TheOrganist is offline  
Old
08-08-2012, 05:51 AM
  #111
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,118
vCash: 500
What's happening with Simon Hjalmarsson? Is he still property of the Blues? I remember liking him alot in his draft year, and he had an excellent season in the SEL last year.

EagleBelfour is offline  
Old
08-08-2012, 06:51 AM
  #112
Memento
Missourian.
 
Memento's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
What's happening with Simon Hjalmarsson? Is he still property of the Blues? I remember liking him alot in his draft year, and he had an excellent season in the SEL last year.
No, he's no longer part of the organization. Hjalmarsson never wanted to cross the pond. He's carved out what appears to be a great career in the SEL, though, so he made a good decision for himself.

Memento is offline  
Old
08-08-2012, 12:39 PM
  #113
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento View Post
No, he's no longer part of the organization. Hjalmarsson never wanted to cross the pond. He's carved out what appears to be a great career in the SEL, though, so he made a good decision for himself.
The Blues didn't re-sign him to retain his rights, as they knew he had little to no interest in coming to North America, OR, more importantly, was not willing to make himself strong enough, play defence adequately, and learn to not shy away from contact against bigger and heavier players. He wasn't likely to ever make The NHL under those conditions.

Robb_K is offline  
Old
08-08-2012, 01:41 PM
  #114
Memento
Missourian.
 
Memento's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
The Blues didn't re-sign him to retain his rights, as they knew he had little to no interest in coming to North America, OR, more importantly, was not willing to make himself strong enough, play defence adequately, and learn to not shy away from contact against bigger and heavier players. He wasn't likely to ever make The NHL under those conditions.
True. He never adapted to the North American game, but he's a rising star in the SEL. I can't say that I disagree with his decision to stay in his home country, especially since he plays right wing. I'm not sure that he'd make the top six of the current roster.

Memento is offline  
Old
08-08-2012, 11:25 PM
  #115
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento View Post
True. He never adapted to the North American game, but he's a rising star in the SEL. I can't say that I disagree with his decision to stay in his home country, especially since he plays right wing. I'm not sure that he'd make the top six of the current roster.
He's a "lightweight" in the sense of no physical game and avoiding contact like Huselius. He wouldn't fit into Hitch's 2-way game. I think he'd have a difficult time adapting his game.

Robb_K is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 05:40 AM
  #116
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,209
vCash: 500
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...uis-blues.html

A review of the Blues OHL prospects (aka a review of Jordan Binnington's progression)...

__________________
OHL Prospects Blog - http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/
OHL Prospects on Twitter - @BrockOtten
Brock is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 06:54 AM
  #117
sdaltons
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
i really hope we end up signing Andrew Ryan. really think there's a lot of potential there.

sdaltons is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 02:14 PM
  #118
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
So,-The Blues did NOT re-sign Beukeboom (From article on Binnington). He is no longer a Blues' prospect. I guess, somehow I missed that before this.

Robb_K is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 06:28 PM
  #119
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Any word on Andronov yet, if official?

PerryTurnbullfan is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 07:22 PM
  #120
Crumblin Erb Brooks
Registered User
 
Crumblin Erb Brooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grenyarnia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Any word on Andronov yet, if official?
Armstrong apparently was/is going to Russia to meet him.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 01:25 PM
  #121
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Armstrong apparently was/is going to Russia to meet him.
I guess he needs to find out if he's willing to play in Peoria?

Robb_K is offline  
Old
08-12-2012, 12:42 PM
  #122
MattyMo35
Moderator
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 5,807
vCash: 1598
When does HF usually come out with their new prospect rankings of the 2012 draftees?

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
08-12-2012, 11:50 PM
  #123
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,598
vCash: 50
Can you guys give me any info on Jordon Binnington?

__________________
Krishna is online now  
Old
08-13-2012, 01:28 AM
  #124
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Can you guys give me any info on Jordon Binnington?
He's 19 years old, and skinny at 6:02 160. Drafted at #88 over-all in 3rd Round of 2011 NHL Draft. He shoots left-handed. There looks to be no room for him at Peoria or Alaska. So, I believe he's going to return to Owen Sound (OHA) jrs. for one more year. He had a decent season in 2011-12, starting slowly, but playing well at the end. He finished with a 27-12-1-4 record in 46 games with one shutout, posting a 3.05 goals-against-average and a .899 save percentage.
He played very well in the playoffs, winning the Emms trophy for best goaltender in The Memorial Cup playoffs, He posted a tournament-best goals-against-average of 1.42, and save percentage of .951. He also posted the only shutout of the tournament.

Here's his 2011 Draft scouting report:

After 2009-10:
He's still pretty lanky and his strength in goal and ability to go post to post and maintain good positioning needs some improvement, but he does have the ability to make acrobatic saves and has shown on a few occasions as a 16 year old, that he can single handily keep his team in the game.

After 2010-11
Displayed above-average patience and quality controlled movements for a 17-year-old ... I consider him to play a calm butterfly style that relies more on positioning than reflexes ... Displayed a strong sense of sealing his pads to the ice ... Good absorption rate on many shots above the waist ... Solid patience when reacting, especially during a fast-paced first period ... Has a calm, composed demeanor and quiet footwork ... Does a good job of letting pucks come to him ... Has an above-average goalie IQ and did a good job of challenging in appropriate situations ... Needs a stronger and wider range of movement and more flexibility with his hip rotations ... Very solid puck-moving goalie that likes to be aggressive by making head-man passes ... His wide butterfly allows for solid lower-net coverage ... Calm body language a result of a calm, quiet mindset ...

During 2011-12 season: -Blues' goaltending coach Corey Hirsch visited him in Owen Sound early in the season and noticed he was setting himself too far out in goal. He got him to sit back further (which is no problem, because he is tall and has a long reach. Since then, he's been letting the puck come to him more, and he sees more because of waiting and the wider view. His g.p.a. dropped significantly through the season.

He looks like a very solid goaltending prospect, who has much to work on, but starts with an advantage of his large size. And he's got good reflexes, and moves fairly well for a large goalie. He's listed as 7.0 D, meaning that he has a relatively high upside potential, but there's a high risk that he'll not get all the way there (that's really true for almost ALL goalies, as their position is heavily dependent upon mental toughness and discipline, and it takes them significantly longer on average, than skaters, to develop.


Last edited by Robb_K: 08-13-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Robb_K is offline  
Old
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM
  #125
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Any word on Andronov yet, if official?
Nothing yet... but I was thinking about something.

I've heard people say that the Blues won't offer Andronov an NHL contract (AHL deal only) because they already have 49 players signed to NHL contracts out of a maximum of 50, and they're looking to save that last contract for a LD to play with Pietrangelo.

Of the 49 contracts they have signed, however, Binnington's contract and Rattie's contract are both subject to the Entry Level Slide rule, and if I'm thinking right, that means that those contracts won't count against the 50 contract maximum this year as long as those players return to junior, which they probably will.

So, for all practical purposes, the Blues have just 47/50 NHL contracts signed now, and have no more RFA's to sign... so they don't have to offer Andronov just an AHL contract. They can give him a two-way entry-level deal and let him take a shot at making the bottom six forwards in camp (possibly meshing with Grachev?) before they assign him to AwesomeTown.

As long as he's aware that he's still probably going to end up in Peoria, and is OK with that, I would think that signing Andronov would be a no-brainer if he wants to give the North American game a shot.

If Andronov and Grachev do develop some chemistry, that's a potentially sick AHL combo to flank a center like McRae, or possibly even Sonne, who's a good enough skater to keep up with the Russians and has some playmaking ability.

Prussian_Blue is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.