HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XV): The Non-Frenzy Edition

Old
08-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceCheese91 View Post
People shouldn't put much stock into Sportsnet at all. They rarely break any trades or signings, this is probably Kypreos using his "Insider" status. I really don't think we will be getting Doan, and I feel that Sportsnet knows just as much as we do. Sather isn't going to cripple this team for the next few years with this signing.
As I have said, the Rangers probably have an "open door" approach with Doan. If he wants to come here for one year at a reasonable price, they will have a spot for him. If he wants anything more, he can feel free to get that someplace else. I don't think they are being aggressive in acquiring him at all.

I think the Rangers believe, like most of us, Doan will be with the Yotes this year.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:04 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Why do the majority of Rangers fans feel the need to denounce a source when they give news viewed as unfavorable?

When TSN said Schultz preferred Canada, they were pushing their Canadian agenda. Now Sportsnet is unreliable because they report the Rangers are the favorites for Doan?

edit: majority may be a bit strong, but point remains.
Well it doesn't stop at the media. Don't forget how badly the officials are out to get us!

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:06 PM
SauceCheese91

Quote:
Why do the majority of Rangers fans feel the need to denounce a source when they give news viewed as unfavorable?

When TSN said Schultz preferred Canada, they were pushing their Canadian agenda. Now Sportsnet is unreliable because they report the Rangers are the favorites for Doan?

You being from Canada as well, I am VERY surprised that you do not agree. Sportsnet is crap for breaking news and very good at following what other people report. I watch Sportsnet all the time, but this shouldn't be any big news to anyone.

With TSN you have some of the most respected and high profiled reporters/analysts out there. The difference between Sportsnet and TSN can simply be seen as the difference between Bill Waters and Bob McKenzie...huge gap.

SauceCheese91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
From that article. Reliable at all?
It also says he is 34 years old when he is, in fact, 35 - and thats probably the biggest issue with this whole thing

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
You being from Canada as well, I am VERY surprised that you do not agree. Sportsnet is crap for breaking news and very good at following what other people report. I watch Sportsnet all the time, but this shouldn't be any big news to anyone.

With TSN you have some of the most respected and high profiled reporters/analysts out there. The difference between Sportsnet and TSN can simply be seen as the difference between Bill Waters and Bob McKenzie...huge gap.
Yeah, that's over-simplying it a bit. Kypreos trumps Damien Cox and Steve Simmons, but that's not a fair comparison either.

Sportsnet has a bunch of idiots like Watters and MacLean spewing their opinions every which way, but they don't have a history of putting out false/misleading information.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:12 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Not all opinions are valid. I could be of the opinion that Henrik Lundqvist is the worst goalie in the league--it's an opinion, but it's not supported by any evidence.

Don't like Boyle on the third line? Fine, that's a reasonable opinion. Boyle sucks? That just sounds like you're talking out of your ass.
Really worked hard for that Henrik analogy? Impressive, really.

You see, I would be talking out of my ass if I didn't back up my opinion with, I don't know, those stat thingies. Boyle's poor stats just reinforce what I observed last season.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
It also says he is 34 years old when he is, in fact, 35 - and thats probably the biggest issue with this whole thing
Further, it says they have a vacation home in Kamloops, when in fact the Doans refer to it as a summer home.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Really worked hard for that Henrik analogy? Impressive, really.

You see, I would be talking out of my ass if I didn't back up my opinion with, I don't know, those stat thingies. Boyle's poor stats just reinforce what I observed last season.
But they're not poor for a third line center. Especially if you consider Boyle's shift composition.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Further, it says they have a vacation home in Kamloops, when in fact the Doans refer to it as a summer home.
Im not knocking the source - merely knocking the fact that the article is riddled with inaccuracies - the age being the biggest.

If Doan was 34, I'd have much less of a problem giving him more than 2 years.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:16 PM
SauceCheese91

Quote:
Yeah, that's over-simplying it a bit. Kypreos trumps Damien Cox and Steve Simmons, but that's not a fair comparison either.

Sportsnet has a bunch of idiots like Watters and MacLean spewing their opinions every which way, but they don't have a history of putting out false/misleading information.
Im not hating on Sportsnet by any means, but in terms of hockey coverage, Sportsnet is absolutely garbage. And I learned the hard way on this one, I used to prefer Sportsnet over TSN until I took way too much flack from my friends and finally realized which the better network was. I only threw in Bill Waters because he is/was on their hockey panel....Damien Cox (now with SNET) and Steve Simmons are not on TSNs, so I don't think thats a fair comparison.

As well I don't think this is false info, but it is definitely not "fresh". We have all heard about Doan to NYR many times.

SauceCheese91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Im not hating on Sportsnet by any means, but in terms of hockey coverage, Sportsnet is absolutely garbage.
I'm having a tough time reconciling those two statements

Quote:
I only threw in Bill Waters because he is/was on their hockey panel....Damien Cox (now with SNET) and Steve Simmons are not on TSNs, so I don't think thats a fair comparison.
You're still comparing the best to the worst. TSN has Simmons on air discussing hockey on their trade deadline/free agency shows, and they used to with Cox.

Quote:
As well I don't think this is false info, but it is definitely not "fresh". We have all heard about Doan to NYR many times.
I've never heard the Rangers referred to as the frontrunner for Doan before.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:

I won't speak to the reliability of Sportsnet, but TSN has an undeniably Canadian slant. They generally behave more like a regional sports news outlet than one that just covers sports. Whether or not that was the case with Schultz is debatable, but their slant is undeniable. Btw, not a criticism. They're a Canadian company. If their business model means a Canadian slant, more power to em

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I won't speak to the reliability of Sportsnet, but TSN has an undeniably Canadian slant. They generally behave more like a regional sports news outlet than one that just covers sports. Whether or not that was the case with Schultz is debatable, but their slant is undeniable. Btw, not a criticism. They're a Canadian company. If their business model means a Canadian slant, more power to em
Slant in what respect?

If you mean they give more coverage to Canadian teams, of course they do.

If you mean they skew information in favor of the Canadian teams, I disagree.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

You don't have to actively skew information to provide skewed information

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Isn't Kypreos the clown who was tweeting over and over that Suter to the Red Wings was as good as done?

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Isn't Kypreos the clown who was tweeting over and over that Suter to the Red Wings was as good as done?
I guess you're referring to this tweet and this tweet:

Quote:
#NHL. Starting to hear Suter has picked #Redwings as his destination. More to come.....
Quote:
Nothing confirmed as it appears Suter will won't make anything official till 2morrow but some on inside say he's leaned toward #Redwings
I don't read either as Suter to the Red Wings as good as done. He's reporting the information that he received. I haven't heard anything that refutes that he was leaning towards the Red Wings on July 1.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Who's playing third line C ?

Love the Nash trade. Gotta make that trade imo....

So now how do we fill the third line C?

Nash-Richards-Gaborik
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Boyle-Pyatt
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

Maybe you flip Hags and Nash but isn't it a waste to put Krieders fineness and speed with Brian Boyle?

It's like whoa, all of sudden we are deep at LW

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
I don't think, when all is said & done, that Hags is a top six forward over the long haul. Despite the relative success he had with Gabs and Richie, I'd rather have him start on third line LW - allowing Nash & Kreider to slot into the top six.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Lundsanity30

I don't expect it to happen, but the thought of adding Doan to our top 9 is really appealing. Callahan or Doan become a 3rd liner with Hags and Boyle

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I don't expect it to happen, but the thought of adding Doan to our top 9 is really appealing. Callahan or Doan become a 3rd liner with Hags and Boyle
It is.

If you dont take the 35+ contract rules into account.

Would have no problem signing him for 3-4 years if there was a way to run away from the cap hit if things went bad with injuries/performance/etc.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Lundsanity30

Doan, who understandablywants thisto be the last move he makes, is believed to have narrowed his sightsonManhattan, PittsburghandVancouver. It’s unclear if Rangers general manager Glen Sather is willing to go four years, but if he does, Doan is more likely than not to become a Blueshirt.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz22hkei03K

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I couldn't quote your comment in the other thread.

I took away that ten game stretch because you ignored the previous 72 games.

A season is not made up of ten game stretches.

That ten games is fine, but where was he during the rest of the Reg. Season?

before that ten games he was a threat to score once every 10+ games. NOT GOOD ENOUGH

And while we can improve the talent up front all we want, until that third line becomes more of a threat to put the puck in the net consistently we will still struggle to score goals.

Boyle, being the center, has a responsibility to help generate that offence and thus far inot his career, he has not shown the ability or consistency to get that done.

For me, it's not a bad thing as I believe he is a better than average 4th line center, but I do not believe he has the tools needed to help make that third line offensively capable.
I posted this in the other thread:

Quote:
Not sure why we're taking away that 10 game stretch.

Take away Richards 10game stretch in March and his production doesn't look good either.
Boyle's brightest moments of the season are being written off for some reason.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Doan, who understandablywants thisto be the last move he makes, is believed to have narrowed his sightsonManhattan, PittsburghandVancouver. Itís unclear if Rangers general manager Glen Sather is willing to go four years, but if he does, Doan is more likely than not to become a Blueshirt.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz22hkei03K
Link doesnt work.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:55 PM
NYR Viper

I think Sather would do 3 as long as the cap hit is reasonable.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Link doesnt work.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...HoSS0ps65uYs8K

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote