HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Possible Line Combos

Old
07-30-2012, 02:37 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
In addition to the previously proposed 2-3, it looks like we can also try the 1-4
In the 2-3, the center defenseman patrols mid slot in the offensive zone to mid slot in the defensive zone. On offense, you'd need only a LW and a center who plays right wing (and takes face-offs obviously).

"we can change the game forever!"

Last edited by leesmith: 07-30-2012 at 07:59 PM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:30 PM
FlaggerX

I have a different feeling. Given Dubinsky and Anisimov's clear talents for defense, and familiarity, I start them on a checking line that can score. Given that we got what, 12 goals from our third line last season (10 coming from Dorsett) improvement there could make a big difference.

I also think Brass will be much better now that Arniel is off his neck, and he won't always be thinking 'get it to Nash first'. If he stays healthy, he breaks 20 goals.

Umberger-Brassard-Atkinson offers our 'top' line, and I think they'll defend it like they did last year, which is to try and force Umby to bring the puck up the ice.

Second

Foligno - Johanssen - Prospal. We have a shortage of Right wings. Vinny should adapt better with his experience. Johanssen is either centering this line, or centering the top line in Springfield. As the AHL is an option this year, if he's not ready for top six minutes we should use it, and slot in Test Tube Letestu

Third

Anisimov-- Dubinsky-- Dorsett Even if neither new guy pots twenty, getting forty goals out of this line shouldn't be difficult while preserving it's defensive character. That alone replaces Nash's scoring. This line will actually have to be defended.

Fourth is Letestu--McKenzie-- Russell with Boller doing duty when a beating is needed. If we get twenty goals from this bunch be happy.

But I have a fantasy fourth line which isn't entirely outside the realm of possibility.

Calvert-Jenner-Letestu Let's assume both Boone and Matt make a real push in training camp. Remember the old 'goat line' used until Brass got hurt in that fight? This line doesn't have quite that level of skill, or Chimmer's speed, but it does have a bit of speed and Calvert's hands are a lot better then Chimmer's ever were. They're young, but as a fourth line Richards could shield them and use them situationally. Now this line might have the skill to pot some goals, forty or more being possible. And not bad defensively. It's a bit of a stretch to say Jenner is ready but it would be so much fun if it happened.

Defense

JMFJ- Wiz and 1st power play
Tyutin-Nikitin and 1st PK
Aucoin- Murray/Erixon or Moore.
Holden
Our third line will be more a shutdown line. One kid plays, whoever gets that job is here, everyone else goes to the minors. My vote goes for Murray as he can't go to the AHL. Moore and Erixon can, and anchor a top defensive pair there, with plenty of competition behind them I use Holden as the seventh defenseman because his ceiling is lower, so we lose less keeping him here as a backup. If we do take two kids, we platoon them and rest Aucoin against weaker teams to help the old man stay strong the whole way. I want the talented kids playing.

So that's the lines as I see them on this date. No warranties express or implied if Howson gets someone else.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:30 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
I have a different feeling. Given Dubinsky and Anisimov's clear talents for defense, and familiarity, I start them on a checking line that can score. Given that we got what, 12 goals from our third line last season (10 coming from Dorsett) improvement there could make a big difference.

I also think Brass will be much better now that Arniel is off his neck, and he won't always be thinking 'get it to Nash first'. If he stays healthy, he breaks 20 goals.

Umberger-Brassard-Atkinson offers our 'top' line, and I think they'll defend it like they did last year, which is to try and force Umby to bring the puck up the ice.

Second

Foligno - Johanssen - Prospal. We have a shortage of Right wings. Vinny should adapt better with his experience. Johanssen is either centering this line, or centering the top line in Springfield. As the AHL is an option this year, if he's not ready for top six minutes we should use it, and slot in Test Tube Letestu

Third

Anisimov-- Dubinsky-- Dorsett Even if neither new guy pots twenty, getting forty goals out of this line shouldn't be difficult while preserving it's defensive character. That alone replaces Nash's scoring. This line will actually have to be defended.

Fourth is Letestu--McKenzie-- Russell with Boller doing duty when a beating is needed. If we get twenty goals from this bunch be happy.

But I have a fantasy fourth line which isn't entirely outside the realm of possibility.

Calvert-Jenner-Letestu Let's assume both Boone and Matt make a real push in training camp. Remember the old 'goat line' used until Brass got hurt in that fight? This line doesn't have quite that level of skill, or Chimmer's speed, but it does have a bit of speed and Calvert's hands are a lot better then Chimmer's ever were. They're young, but as a fourth line Richards could shield them and use them situationally. Now this line might have the skill to pot some goals, forty or more being possible. And not bad defensively. It's a bit of a stretch to say Jenner is ready but it would be so much fun if it happened.

Defense

JMFJ- Wiz and 1st power play
Tyutin-Nikitin and 1st PK
Aucoin- Murray/Erixon or Moore.
Holden
Our third line will be more a shutdown line. One kid plays, whoever gets that job is here, everyone else goes to the minors. My vote goes for Murray as he can't go to the AHL. Moore and Erixon can, and anchor a top defensive pair there, with plenty of competition behind them I use Holden as the seventh defenseman because his ceiling is lower, so we lose less keeping him here as a backup. If we do take two kids, we platoon them and rest Aucoin against weaker teams to help the old man stay strong the whole way. I want the talented kids playing.

So that's the lines as I see them on this date. No warranties express or implied if Howson gets someone else.
I wouldn't put Dorsett on the third line over Letestu. I would also have Anisimov center for positioning, but have Dubisnky take draws

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:25 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

It is difficult, we have too much centers but not right wings except Atkinson and the fourth line players Dorsett with Boll. I would trade Letestu, if not so if Anisimov with Johansen will show their potential I would trade Brassard.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:59 PM
cbj21

If Nash could move from LW to RW I'm pretty sure the rest of the wingers and centers can move around also. Don't see the problem.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
If Nash could move from LW to RW I'm pretty sure the rest of the wingers and centers can move around also. Don't see the problem.
We saw it in the last season and Brassard play on the wing. We must use our players wehre are the best. Plus center to wing or wing to center isnt the same like rw to lw or lw to rw. And especially Nash is one of the best players in NHL.

Old
08-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
It is difficult, we have too much centers but not right wings except Atkinson and the fourth line players Dorsett with Boll. I would trade Letestu, if not so if Anisimov with Johansen will show their potential I would trade Brassard.
Given that Letestu also plays RW, this confuses me.

Rangers fans fondly remember a line of Dubinsky-Anisimov-Prospal. We have options.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:41 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Given that Letestu also plays RW, this confuses me.

Rangers fans fondly remember a line of Dubinsky-Anisimov-Prospal. We have options.
I think he looks much better at center and that was the reason why the Pens traded him - they expected Crosby to be back and didn't want to use Letestu on the wing.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:35 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
I think he looks much better at center and that was the reason why the Pens traded him - they expected Crosby to be back and didn't want to use Letestu on the wing.
This

Old
08-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
Fair enough, but I really want to keep him around regardless - mostly because I want him lined up next to Johansen and helping out there.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:20 PM
smitty10

I think Columus looks like:

Dubinsky-Anisimov-Atkinson
Prospal-Brassard-Umberger
Foligno-Johansen-Letestu
Gillies-Mackenzie-Dorsett
Boll

Johnson-Tyutin
Nikitin-Erixon
Murray-Wisniewski
Aucoin

Bobrovsky
Mason

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:31 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post

Foligno-Johansen-Letestu
Boll

Johnson-Tyutin
Nikitin-Erixon
Murray-Wisniewski
Aucoin

Bobrovsky
Mason
Okay, several issues with this

1. Why is Anisimov ahead of Brassard?
2. Why are you splitting up Tyutin and Nikitin?
3. Why are you splitting up JMFJ and Wisniewski?
4. Why is Erixon playing ahead of Wisniewski?
5. Why is Aucoin in the #7 spot?
6. Why is Prospal ahead of Foligno?

Old
08-08-2012, 01:35 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
I can't speak for anyone. But why would Brassard be ahead of anything or anyone? As far as I'm concerned he's coming in with a completely clean slate. He has just as much to prove and anyone, if not more.

Quote:
Why are you worried about Prospal? He was productive and he's reponsible. I don't see an issue putting Prospal in almost any wing slot.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Pairing with Dubinsky. The two have been pretty effective together. I think it's a good idea. That and Brassard seems to do his best work when he's not on the top line.

Quote:
2. Why are you splitting up Tyutin and Nikitin?
3. Why are you splitting up JMFJ and Wisniewski?
4. Why is Erixon playing ahead of Wisniewski?
5. Why is Aucoin in the #7 spot?
I wouldn't attempt to defend any of these. I don't think they're reasonable at all.

Quote:
Prospal's just as good all-around, and I think Foligno is potentially a better fit with Johansen.

Basically, I think the forwards setup is OK, but the blueline arrangement is... not so much.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:42 PM
36kap36

Quote:

Foligno-Johansen-Letestu
Boll

Johnson-Tyutin
Nikitin-Erixon
Murray-Wisniewski
Aucoin

Bobrovsky
Mason
Not even going to look at the forwards after a catching a glance of this.

36kap36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Pairing with Dubinsky. The two have been pretty effective together. I think it's a good idea.

I wouldn't attempt to defend any of these. I don't think they're reasonable at all.

Prospal's just as good all-around, and I think Foligno is potentially a better fit with Johansen.

Basically, I think the forwards setup is OK, but the blueline arrangement is... not so much.
It guess it would make sense to keep Anisimov and Dubinsky together, I just like the idea of Brass and Atkinson on a line together. As for with Prospal, I thought that Johansen elevated his game last year when he played with Vinny. The two about the forwards were more a matter of preference on my part. By the way, can RJ play RW?

Old
08-08-2012, 01:49 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I just like the idea of Brass and Atkinson on a line together.
Consider me in the polar opposite crowd. Let's give an easily exploitable combo with a team that is supposed to be hard to play against.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Consider me in the polar opposite crowd. Let's give an easily exploitable combo with a team that is supposed to be hard to play against.
Yeah I'm not a big fan of that combination, except maybe on the PP.

I thought Cam worked well with Vinny last year. He should be with at least one of our more trustworthy veterans imo.

I've been kicking around a possible line in my mind with Cam, Dubinsky, and Anisimov, but its so hard to guess who will work well with who, especially given the player turnover this summer.

Last edited by Nordique: 08-08-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Nordique

Quote:

Foligno-Johansen-Letestu
Boll

Johnson-Tyutin
Nikitin-Erixon
Murray-Wisniewski
Aucoin

Bobrovsky
Mason
I kind of like these lines, though I'm not sure the 1st is actually the 1st, but thats the way this team is made up for 12/13. Those top 2 lines have alot of parity, and the 3rd isn't far behind.

Also, I like Gillies over Boll. I thought Gillies showed a good deal of grit and mobility last season, coupled with a physical game. His role could expand beyond the 4th line as injuries come in and the roster shakes up. He's got that "heavy" game to bring back a Hitchism.

defensively, I have to revert to last year's pairings that did so well the last 20 games (minus Tyutin).

JJ-Wiz
Tin-Tin
?-?
?

I'm sure Aucoin finds a home in the top 7, but the other slots are honestly up for grabs. Don't rule out Prout either, he might be our most physical defenseman.

Last edited by Nordique: 08-08-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:29 PM
FreeBoomer61

i really think the top 2 lines (2a and 2b) could potentially look like this...

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Foligno
Umberger - Brassard - Atkinson

or if RyJo has a great camp, then maybe this...

Dubinsky - Johansen - Anisimov
Foligno - Mackenzie - Prospal
Dorsett - Letestu - Boll/Gillies

but more realistically, this is how i see things playing out

Foligno - Anisimov - Dubinsky
Dorsett - Mackenzie - Prospal
Letestu - Johansen - Boll/Gillies

what i would love to see tho (and this is probably not realistic bc of chemistry and what not)

Anisimov - Johansen - Dubinsky (RyJo plays with hardworking forwards that can put up points, help open up his game)
Umberger - Brassard - Atkinson (good chemistry last year)
Dorsett - Mackenzie - Foligno (badass line that can score, hit, grind, etc)
Prospal - Letestu - Boll/Gillies (not a bad fourth line and can present matchup problems)

Last edited by FreeBoomer61: 08-08-2012 at 02:38 PM.
FreeBoomer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
I'm back to at least wanting to see how it meshes at the start of the season, given how well they ended the season with Umberger - and especially given that Dubinsky-Anisimov-Prospal was apparently a proven combo in New York.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:39 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Ever since you've been posting this point of view I have come to agree with it. Forward lines are a two way street and you have to consider the defensive abilities of the players as well as match-ups.

How Richards puts the lines together will be interesting and a key to the season.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:23 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
How Richards puts the lines together will be interesting and a key to the season.
Very interesting, because there are no true first-liner who stand out and demand placement there, but there are so many useful, versatile pieces to be moved about in so many different combos. I could see almost any of the proposals in this thread showing up at some point of the season. I have some thoughts on what I might like to see develop, but that's all it is... hope. I guess I'll wait to see how things fit together in camp and find out how Richards plans to build the lines. Also, let's see who we think is in his doghouse. I'm sure there will be one or more guys who won't get the ice time or line placement that some of us prefer and it'll be blamed on the coach's unreasonable dislike or mismanagement. You can see that in every fan base and on every team!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:04 PM
FreeBoomer61

nhl.com projecting the lineup....ill save you the read and just repost it

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

Umberger - Dubinsky - Anisimov
Atkinson - Brassard - Foligno
Prospal - Johansen - Dorsett
Mackenzie - Letestu - Boll/Gillies

Tyutin - Wiz
Johnson - Murray
Moore - Nikitin
Aucoin

Bobs
Mason

here are my two beefs with this projection: idk how i feel about the defensive pairings, especially splitting up tyutin and nikitin. i can live with splitting up wiz and johnson tho. my other issue with this is that i just dont like johansen playing the third line with prospal and dorsett. i really think that it is top 6 for him or to springfield.

FreeBoomer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:22 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I kind of like these lines, though I'm not sure the 1st is actually the 1st, but thats the way this team is made up for 12/13. Those top 2 lines have alot of parity, and the 3rd isn't far behind.

Also, I like Gillies over Boll. I thought Gillies showed a good deal of grit and mobility last season, coupled with a physical game. His role could expand beyond the 4th line as injuries come in and the roster shakes up. He's got that "heavy" game to bring back a Hitchism.

defensively, I have to revert to last year's pairings that did so well the last 20 games (minus Tyutin).

JJ-Wiz
Tin-Tin
?-?
?

I'm sure Aucoin finds a home in the top 7, but the other slots are honestly up for grabs. Don't rule out Prout either, he might be our most physical defenseman.
The defense was a guess for me, although I knew that Nikitin and Tyutin played together.

With Dorsett in the lineup I didn't think Boll was necessary, but Gillies still has room for improvement and could be suited to a 4th line role in the NHL this season.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote