HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What do you do for a living?

Old
08-08-2012, 01:16 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
We're apparently more focused on practical stuff than theoretical. I can't really tell though because I haven't been anywhere else

I'm going on an internship this fall. I'll be working on a Canadian Pacific Track Evaluation Car for 4 months. It should be interesting to say the least
That's what they say and I believe it. It's good to do more hands on stuff. This summer I ended up working on machining stuff in my lab but it's one of the rare labs we have of that nature in industrial. I know mechanical does a few things but we're less hands on because you can't manufacture optimization or management for example.

I can't wait for my internship. I should've done one last year but didn't. I think I want to try and get an administration related internship. I've worked in warehousing for a long time and want to try something new.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i always imagined this board to be filled with mental health patients. so it's all surprising to me
What surprises me is that those with the best jobs make the more stupid hockey comments.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:55 PM
MooseKJ

I recently graduated from university with an Environmental Science/Earth Systems Science degree. I'm going back to school for a year in the fall because I don't want to make that leap into the real world yet.

After that, hopefully I'll land a cushy government job or something. Who knows.

MooseKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Muminek

Teacher (high school/vocational school)

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:14 PM
FF de Mars

Hey guys check it out the book I translated will be published in september ! http://www.edvlb.com/beat-veneration.../9782896494231

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:30 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
i work for money
Time to get money working for you.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:45 PM
L4vK

HVAC Tech/ Part time waiter

Yeahhhhh got no life

L4vK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Impossible Glory

Just finished High School, going to "Sciences de la nature" (natural sciences?) in CEGEP next year.

Not quite sure what I want to do, maybe some kind of engineer. I don't know yet if I love this domain enough to study in for years, or even if I got what it takes to finish it. I guess we'll see.

Impossible Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:52 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
Just finished High School, going to "Sciences de la nature" (natural sciences?) in CEGEP next year.

Not quite sure what I want to do, maybe some kind of engineer. I don't know yet if I love this domain enough to study in for years, or even if I got what it takes to finish it. I guess we'll see.
If you want a job, become an engineer. Thing is you can do a lot of relatively various jobs afterwards so if you become bored you can move on to something different without having to start all over again. Good luck!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Gally and Chucky
No Excuses

Just Graduated high school and going in "Arts et Lettres : Communications et Cinématographie"
I'm also a packboy at Metro hahaha

Gally and Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:09 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

My company offers Fiber Optic Solution & Telephony for businesses, we usually deal with people who need massive bandwith, prices are pretty good !

origen.ca ! send me a PM if you need a quote !

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Aurel Joliat

Financial advisor

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:16 PM
DumFries

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
If you want a job, become an engineer. Thing is you can do a lot of relatively various jobs afterwards so if you become bored you can move on to something different without having to start all over again. Good luck!
I'm an engineer and I cannot find anything in my field because of my lack of contacts. So, it's not that easy as you make it sound.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Jigger77

Not of your ******* business!

but if anyone needs a really good fishing guide PM me

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
I'm an engineer and I cannot find anything in my field because of my lack of contacts. So, it's not that easy as you make it sound.
I'm guessing that you're an electrical engineer ?

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:41 PM
HabsUK

Finished university couple of months back studying Aerospace Systems Engineering, not many jobs in the UK at the moment, anyone know how Canadas Aerospace sector is doing at the moment?

HabsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I'm guessing that you're an electrical engineer ?
Actually, all my friends took many months to find a job in engineering unless they went back to a company where they had an internship in the past. It seems like the average to find a job in engineering is 4-7 months. Though I suppose there may be some engineering types that take less time if there aren't that many people who studied in those fields. Also, grades and involvement probably helps...

It's one of my fears, as I've studied in mechanical engineering and specialized in robotics/automation. May also look into jobs out of the country. 4-7 months seems so long.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsUK View Post
Finished university couple of months back studying Aerospace Systems Engineering, not many jobs in the UK at the moment, anyone know how Canadas Aerospace sector is doing at the moment?
It's alright as far as I know... Most jobs for aerospace are in Ontario, I think. I think there's quite a few jobs on building satelites though.

Not too sure :S

Old
08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
HabsUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
It's alright as far as I know... Most jobs for aerospace are in Ontario, I think. I think there's quite a few jobs on building satelites though.

Not too sure :S
The 4 -7 month thing you mentioned above seems to be true over here as well, been over 2 months since we finished University and only 2 guys out of 40 on my course have jobs at the moment. Every application is overfilled by 10 or 12 times, not fun trying to get a job.

HabsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsUK View Post
The 4 -7 month thing you mentioned above seems to be true over here as well, been over 2 months since we finished University and only 2 guys out of 40 on my course have jobs at the moment. Every application is overfilled by 10 or 12 times, not fun trying to get a job.
Only thing I've heard is that countries such as Germany (actually, I only heard this for Germany, no idea about S.Korea, Japan or some sectors of the U.S.) hire a huge amount of engineers. Had some German friends tell me that even though there are so many engineers there's always a huge demand in order to stay competitive and to keep the economy running as they rely heavily on exporting technological goods rather than resources.

This finally gives me a good reason to push myself to learn German, which I've always wanted to.

No idea what the stance there is for aerospace. But competition seems fierce as well. My friends older brother, who did electrical engineering and specialized in nanotechnology (smtg even more precise but I forgot what) had trouble finding work there. but that may be due to getting too specialized too soon. I hear it's much better to get into a company and then do a masters or PhD in accordance to the companies needs (and your interests).

Old
08-08-2012, 04:03 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
This is exactly why I'm an advocate of getting a graduate degree. Yes, you sacrifice 2 years with a very small salary compared to industry, or in the case of a Masters+PhD, 2+4=6 years, but you get more enjoyment out of your career. Moreover, you go to the top of the list of desirable candidates for a number of companies, although that may entail moving out of Canada.

Also, let's face it, with couples having fewer kids than before, there will be pressure to raise the retirement age, and workers in developed countries will be on the job longer. If you are working into your 70s, you may as well invest a little more and enjoy your career.

Moreover, as you specialize more, there is less incentive for anyone to outsource your work for a more cheaply paid engineer somewhere else.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:09 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
... I hear it's much better to get into a company and then do a masters or PhD in accordance to the companies needs (and your interests).
I've seen people do this, but the risk is that the company may put a lid on what they want to appear in publications, especially journal papers that are highly detailed, which can make you less attractive to other companies, as well as marginalize your work, possibly to the point of putting your doctoral candidacy at risk.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaMtlExpat View Post
I've seen people do this, but the risk is that the company may put a lid on what they want to appear in publications, especially journal papers that are highly detailed, which can make you less attractive to other companies, as well as marginalize your work, possibly to the point of putting your doctoral candidacy at risk.
Never thought of it that way. That's true. I never really had intended on doing a doctorat. Though I was interested in maybe getting a mba and/or a masters in more detailed robotics.

Thanks for the info.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:26 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Work in pool and arena maintenance. But I'm going to the École Nationale de l'Humour this september. To be a TV writter.
that's not funny

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:39 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Never thought of it that way. That's true. I never really had intended on doing a doctorat. Though I was interested in maybe getting a mba and/or a masters in more detailed robotics.

Thanks for the info.
I've had a very nonlinear career path. One of the reasons my university hired me is that they liked my industrial experience, so I'm comfortable talking about both perspectives.

It's possible to straddle the two communities, and I plan to continue to do this, in part through one or more startups of my own, but at the same time, a company and a university have different objectives: the first emphasizes making a profit (which is sometimes conducive to secrecy) and while the second wants to make a big splash via research (and classes) that attracts top students and grant money. From that standpoint, the objectives of the grad student often align better with the latter.