HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Prospect Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Hey, I was looking at drafting a few D prospects from you guys in a keeper league and have some questions..

With Methot traded, will Savard get more time this year?

And how far out is goloubef
John Moore holds the most fantasy upside it would seem, but David Savard has plenty of offensive potential.

Ryan Murray's value will likely end up right above Savard's, as I think he has more upside. If your league counts hits, shot blocks, plus/minus, things like that; then Murray is going to be the gem of the pool. Moore will always struggle with two way play, and Savard's potential is that of a #3/4 two way defender.

All that being said, Viqsi is right ... it could be any one of those three on the team.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Brock

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...mbus-blue.html

Been working through the NHL's teams and writing a season review of their OHL prospect's play and progression. I've also included an outlook for next year.

Columbus is now up.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Skraut

thanks for writing this up, always great to read new perspectives on the prospects.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:35 AM
EspenK

Great writeup. Thanks for posting it here.

After reading it, it sounds like Jenner is moving along nicely and Anderson could be a steal in the 4th round if he progresses like the author suggests he could.

Dalton Smith sounds like he could become Jody Shelley II (at best)

The other guy we may never see in Columbus.

I'm going to read some of the others to see what he has to say about the other teams to get a feel for his style and POV.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:26 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Been working through the NHL's teams and writing a season review of their OHL prospect's play and progression. I've also included an outlook for next year.

Columbus is now up.
Thanks

Old
07-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:

Columbus is now up.
Nice eye, I enjoyed the read.

I've been talking Josh Anderson up since we drafted him, glad I'm not the only one to see the potential there. His depth role on the Knights was very important for their success, and I think a player like that will certainly develop into something more. He has the skill and work ethic, surely ... going out on a limb, I think he has the potential to develop much like David Savard has on defence, and could turn out to be a nice find in the fourth round for us.

Thanks for sharing!

Old
07-23-2012, 12:03 PM
ndd17

Quote:

Columbus is now up.
Thanks. It was very interesting to read.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Joonas Korpisalo signed an extension with Helsinki Jokerit so he won't be joining PG Cougars after all.

Last edited by Jussi: 07-30-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old
07-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Ludicrous Speed

I believe I posted this in one of the draft threads prior to the draft, but here's a great article on Murray. Gives a lot of insight as to the kind of player he really is, and most of the praise comes from not only scouts, but first-hand takes from coaches, teammates, and his former GM in Everett. This was the article that pushed me over the edge on wanting Murray at 2.

http://www.flipdocs.com/showbook.asp...0006791_486241

edit: my favorite quote from the article: "But the way he plays, he's so positionally sound, he makes all the right moves, he does everything he's supposed to when he's on the ice – even his shots. When he takes a shot, he's not always looking or trying to drive it through (on goal); he's looking at angles."

this is a vintage Nick Lidstrom quality. Lidstrom would never win any type of hardest shot contest, but he keeps his head up and looks at the bodies in front of the net, more like he's passing it than anything. It makes for a more accurate and deceptive shot for the goalie to stop. That's why I believe Murray's offensive game will transfer over fluidly to the next level.

Last edited by Ludicrous Speed: 07-30-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old
07-30-2012, 11:56 AM
ndd17

Good article, thank you.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:59 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Joonas Korpisalo signed an extension with Helsinki Jokerit so he won't be joining PEI Cougars after all.
Kari Lehtonen after he was drafted 2nd overall also spent 1 more season with Jokerit.

Old
07-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I believe I posted this in one of the draft threads prior to the draft, but here's a great article on Murray. Gives a lot of insight as to the kind of player he really is, and most of the praise comes from not only scouts, but first-hand takes from coaches, teammates, and his former GM in Everett. This was the article that pushed me over the edge on wanting Murray at 2.

http://www.flipdocs.com/showbook.asp...0006791_486241

edit: my favorite quote from the article: "But the way he plays, he's so positionally sound, he makes all the right moves, he does everything he's supposed to when he's on the ice Ė even his shots. When he takes a shot, he's not always looking or trying to drive it through (on goal); he's looking at angles."

this is a vintage Nick Lidstrom quality. Lidstrom would never win any type of hardest shot contest, but he keeps his head up and looks at the bodies in front of the net, more like he's passing it than anything. It makes for a more accurate and deceptive shot for the goalie to stop. That's why I believe Murray's offensive game will transfer over fluidly to the next level.
Thanks for sharing, excellent article. It's like I've seen mentioned (and mentioned myself) on these boards before: While Griffin Reinhart may have more "tools", Murray has the "tool box"... some people compared Dan Fritsche to Eric Staal and Nathan Horton in his draft year. The difference between the three? Staal and Horton actually knew the game of hockey ... Fritsche may have had the hands, shot, and size; but he lacked the vision. Big difference in their careers ... Ryan Murray is a difference maker, and immediately makes our team so much better.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Brock

Quote:

Columbus is now up.
Just a little update.

As I predicted, Curcuruto was traded today to Plymouth.

This will be a great opportunity for him. The Whalers are losing their top 3 defenseman from last year, which means there are definite openings. If I'd hazard a guess, not only will he be playing on one of the first two pairings, he'll also be on the first powerplay unit.

Great for him to get a change of scenery.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Just a little update.

As I predicted, Curcuruto was traded today to Plymouth.

This will be a great opportunity for him. The Whalers are losing their top 3 defenseman from last year, which means there are definite openings. If I'd hazard a guess, not only will he be playing on one of the first two pairings, he'll also be on the first powerplay unit.

Great for him to get a change of scenery.
Thanks for the update, Brock. Should definitely help him develop, hopefully he'll follow a similar career path as Dustin Byfuglien, who went through essentially the same growing pains.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:45 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Joonas Korpisalo signed an extension with Helsinki Jokerit so he won't be joining PG Cougars after all.
2 Year Deal. Looks like PEI isn't getting their 1st rounder ever.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
I don't see much here about Reilly in these boards. He is opening some eyes at the U.S. junior dev camp.
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...ite-vs-sweden/

"Notable Performances:

Mike Reilly — Reilly may have scored his team’s only goal, but that’s not why he’s on this list. I had seen Reilly very little prior to this camp, and was a little skeptical in my first viewings. After watching him at this level, I think it’s pretty clear his 83 points in the BCHL were no joke. With elite skating ability and high-end puck skills, Reilly stood out the whole game. He created chances offensively and while he definitely freelances quite a bit, his speed allows him to make up ground quickly. He’ll need to have a responsible D partner, but there wasn’t a defenseman I saw in Monday’s games that were as creative or as threatening offensively as Reilly. He’s adequate in the D-zone, but a potential weapon offensively. If he can bring this same style to Minnesota in the first half, he could be in a top-four role with that skill-set. I haven’t seen too many U.S. defensemen play like Reilly. He’s certainly an exciting talent."

Old
08-07-2012, 11:02 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
I don't see much here about Reilly in these boards. He is opening some eyes at the U.S. junior dev camp.
How's that possible? I just came here to post the same link.
Quote:
I havenít seen too many U.S. defensemen play like Reilly. Heís certainly an exciting talent.
The fans of the USA hockey should be happy.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:19 AM
jacks johnson

Quote:

"Notable Performances:

Mike Reilly ó Reilly may have scored his teamís only goal, but thatís not why heís on this list. I had seen Reilly very little prior to this camp, and was a little skeptical in my first viewings. After watching him at this level, I think itís pretty clear his 83 points in the BCHL were no joke. With elite skating ability and high-end puck skills, Reilly stood out the whole game. He created chances offensively and while he definitely freelances quite a bit, his speed allows him to make up ground quickly. Heíll need to have a responsible D partner, but there wasnít a defenseman I saw in Mondayís games that were as creative or as threatening offensively as Reilly. Heís adequate in the D-zone, but a potential weapon offensively. If he can bring this same style to Minnesota in the first half, he could be in a top-four role with that skill-set. I havenít seen too many U.S. defensemen play like Reilly. Heís certainly an exciting talent."
To piggy back in what you said , here is tweet from Cory pronman about reilly ...
@coreypronman: Top 4 upside easily. Great two way sense and skill. RT @Xoggz22: @coreypronman would be interested in your thoughts on Mike Reilly

Seems like howson has become pretty good at drafting defenseman, especially finding some diamonds in the rough . Just wanted to point this out since we always bash him

Old
08-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:

"Notable Performances:

Mike Reilly ó Reilly may have scored his teamís only goal, but thatís not why heís on this list. I had seen Reilly very little prior to this camp, and was a little skeptical in my first viewings. After watching him at this level, I think itís pretty clear his 83 points in the BCHL were no joke. With elite skating ability and high-end puck skills, Reilly stood out the whole game. He created chances offensively and while he definitely freelances quite a bit, his speed allows him to make up ground quickly. Heíll need to have a responsible D partner, but there wasnít a defenseman I saw in Mondayís games that were as creative or as threatening offensively as Reilly. Heís adequate in the D-zone, but a potential weapon offensively. If he can bring this same style to Minnesota in the first half, he could be in a top-four role with that skill-set. I havenít seen too many U.S. defensemen play like Reilly. Heís certainly an exciting talent."
Even though he played like 3 hours away in Penticton, it's really hard to get updates from players in the lower junior leagues. That being said, from everything I saw/heard, he was the best offensive defenseman on that team.

I think we have to think of him as a distant project. He'll need to bulk up and continue to learn the game a little bit, but I certainly think his potential is that of a powerplay quarterback, and we have the luxury of time with a bevy of defense prospects already in the system.

Thanks for the update!

Old
08-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

NHL.com Prospect Blurb

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=639185

Lists our top-10 prospects with a brief blurb on each. The only problem I have with this list is that it's somewhat misinformed, as made evident by the fact that each blurb gets shorter as you go down the list. Clearly, they have limited viewings on some of these guys.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:43 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=639185

Lists our top-10 prospects with a brief blurb on each. The only problem I have with this list is that it's somewhat misinformed, as made evident by the fact that each blurb gets shorter as you go down the list. Clearly, they have limited viewings on some of these guys.
I guess Savard is not considered a prospect by them and leesmith should be happy to see them rank Forsberg ahead of this years draft crop.

Old
08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
slightlystewpid420

Dont know if this has been posted..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWpukNoZWiM

Old
08-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Dont know if this has been posted..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWpukNoZWiM
omg he looks like he's, like, fourteen or fifteen or something.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
08-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Not sure if you guys think much of Jake Hansen but he's a buddy of mine from high school. I talked to him a couple times this summer and he seemed to be excited about turning pro and being part of the CBJ organization. He seemed to finally put it together last year and was nearly a point per game player for the Gophs. He's a pretty big kid and I think he might have a chance. He's not the fastest skater but he uses his body well and has a pretty good shot. He takes a lot of dumb penalties though and has since high school. Just wondering what you guys think of him.

Also, you've got a stud on your hands with Mike Reilly. He still has the baby face but he seems to keep growing. He was recently measured at 6'1 177 which is much taller than I ever expected him to get. However that may be because I first saw him play as a ninth grader when he was about 5'4.

Anyways, I hope you guys can turn it around next year and I'll be cheering for your Minnesota boys to make a big impact in the NHL.

Old
08-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

As Posted in the Draft Thread...

http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-stars-...lls-for-canada

Chance to see Ryan Murray compete this week against the best junior aged players in Russia. Also, a chance to see Hunter Shinkaruk, who is really a dynamic talent and should go very highly at the draft.

Closed Thread