HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Through December 1, 2012 (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2012, 10:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1200
Hansen's opening line is 3-5:

Quote:
The West Virginia Derby will be the eighth race on a nine-race card comprised entirely of open stakes at Mountaineer. Purses exceed $1.65 million for the card, which has a first post of 2 p.m.

$750,000 West Virginia Derby (gr. II, Race 8, approximate post 5:45 p.m. EDT), 3YOs, 1 1/8 miles (dirt)
PP., Horse, Jockey, Trainer, Odds
1. Macho Bull, E. Martin Jr., G Dorochenko, 30-1
2. Hero of Order, E. Martin Jr., G Dorochenko, 10-1
3. Z Camelot, D. Parker, D L Romans, 50-1
4. Macho Macho, C. Nakatani, S M Asmussen, 6-1
5. Morgan's Guerrilla, L. Goncalves, M J Maker, 12-1
6. Called to Serve, L. Goncalves, P Eurton, 20-1
7. Le Bernardin, M. Luzzi, K McLaughlin, 6-1
8. Bourbon Courage, D. Parker, K Gorder, 10-1
9. Hansen, M. Smith, M J Maker, 3-5
10. Penn's Grant, L. Garcia, L Delacour, 30-1
*No coupled entries
*Trainers with jockeys named on multiple horses required to name substitute Aug. 3 by 9:00 a.m. EDT
Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz22GNNxgOr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Whitney posting below does not list a trainer for the 8 but I think it's McGaughey.

Quote:
$750,000 Whitney Invitational Handicap (gr. I, 5:45 p.m.), 3 & Up, 1 1/8 Miles
PP., Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer, Odds
1. Rule, J. Bravo, 117, T Pletcher, 5-1
2. Hunters Bay, 115, E.J. Wilson, R Baker, 20-1
3. Caixa Eletronica, J. Castellano, 116, T Pletcher, 15-1
4. Endorsement, J. Rosario, 115, E Harty, 20-1
5. Trickmeister, R. Dominguez, 116, R Dutrow, 15-1
6. Ron the Greek, J. Lezcano, 120, W L Mott, 3-1
7. Flat Out, R. Napravnik, 116, W L Mott, 4-1
8. Hymn Book, J. Velazquez, 118, 4-1
9. Fort Larned, B. Hernandez Jr., 117, I Wilkes, 7-2
Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz22L3BAOpj
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
$300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Stakes (gr. I, Race 8, 5:30 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 1 1/16 Miles (All Weather)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Include Me Out (KY), J Talamo, 121, R W Ellis
2. Quaintly (KY), Y Fukunaga, 119, P L Biancone
3. Switch (KY), M Garcia, 119, J W Sadler
4. Amani (CHI), G K Gomez, 123, N D Drysdale
5. Kayce Ace (KY), A T Gryder, 119, E G Harty
6. Zafeen's Pearl (GB), C Sutherland, 119, T Yakteen
7. Star Billing (KY), R Bejarano, 123, J A Shirreffs
8. Great Hot (BRZ), V Espinoza, 119, A C Avila
Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz22M8QFyqg

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-01-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old
08-01-2012, 06:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
As a part of the agreement, HRTV, a television-based multimedia network dedicated to equine sports, will produce and simulcast the Breeders' Cup Players' Show — formerly the simulcast show — airing live all 15 Breeders' Cup races to off track wagering sites around the globe, and streamed live on HRTV.com and breederscup.com.

HRTV will also televise all of the Breeders' Cup races, with the exception of the Breeders' Cup Classic (G1), to its viewers as the only domestic horse racing cable channel of the event. NBC will televise the Breeders' Cup Classic live and in prime time from 8 to 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, November 3. NBC Sports Network will televise the other 14 Breeders' Cup races live.
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/nat...rtnership.aspx

Old
08-04-2012, 10:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Breeders' Cup in Prime Time? Sounds good to me. I said it a few years ago, but this should be happening soon with the Kentucky Derby.

Looks like a fairly decent lineup for West Virginia Derby day considering only one race is graded.

Last edited by GKJ: 08-04-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old
08-04-2012, 04:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Hansen comes in 4th in West Virginia. On first look, very poor ride by Mike Smith, and I think he'd be the first to admit it. He got into a speed duel with a horse that was 37/1, and 9 furlongs was a bit too far today to hold the closers at bay.

Fort Larned, who ran on the same card as Hansen in Iowa, wins the Whitney in very nice fashion. Bill Mott goes 2-3.

Old
08-05-2012, 09:38 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Hansen comes in 4th in West Virginia. On first look, very poor ride by Mike Smith, and I think he'd be the first to admit it. He got into a speed duel with a horse that was 37/1, and 9 furlongs was a bit too far today to hold the closers at bay.

Fort Larned, who ran on the same card as Hansen in Iowa, wins the Whitney in very nice fashion. Bill Mott goes 2-3.
I played a 4-8-9 tri box, Hansen got caught at the end was telling. Mike Smith's ride was somewhat reminiscent of how he rode Unbridled's Song in the '96 Kentucky Derby.

Old
08-08-2012, 06:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Sounds like the 2013 Breeders' Cup is going to....Santa Anita. Again. Like...c'mon...

Old
08-08-2012, 07:36 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

I wouldn't be shocked to see a return to Monmouth or Belmont in 2014/15 but the near-guarantee with California's climate is an influential factor. The weather conditions in New Jersey, as we remember, were ugly the last time the event was held there.

Belmont was likely hindered because of recent past New York/NYRA political and legal matters.

Gulfstream is likely too small.

Arlington, Del Mar and others have poly which could be detrimental to their causes. I don't know if the surface is an overwhelming consideration but I'd like to see Del Mar host the event -- it would have great visuals for TV, such as Churchill under the lights, but for different imagery.

Pimlico maybe lacks the mustard in the eyes of those who matter.

http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup...ost-2013-event

Quote:
Santa Anita Park has been selected to host the 2013 Breeders’ Cup pending the approval of a final host-site agreement, according to several officials involved in the discussions.

If the final contract details are worked out and approved by the Breeders’ Cup board, Santa Anita will become the host site for the two-day Breeders’ Cup event for the seventh time total and the fourth time since 2008. The track will be the site of this year’s event on Nov. 2-3, and it was also the host for the 2008 and 2009 events.

Santa Anita was identified as the 2013 host site over a short list of other contenders that included only Churchill Downs in Louisville and Monmouth Park in New Jersey. Monmouth Park, which held the event in 2007, was the first track to be passed over in the selection process, though it has been encouraged to apply for the 2014 event. Churchill, which has held the Breeders’ Cup eight times, including in 2010 and 2011, is expected to lobby aggressively for the 2014 event as well.

Santa Anita has several ardent supporters on the Breeders’ Cup board because of the track’s location within the enormous Los Angeles metropolitan area and because of the mild Southern California climate. The event has also been welcomed by area politicians such as L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and the state legislature, which annually grants Breeders’ Cup tax breaks when the event is held in the state.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-08-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old
08-11-2012, 11:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Yes, there are certainly a lack of options, because synthetic track is a no-go. I would like to see the Fair Grounds considered. Maybe Parx can get to that level before I turn 40.

Fourstardave today, certainly not complaining, but if NBC is taking time to broadcast - right at the end of the Olympics - don't think I'd be shelling out for the Fourstardave Handicap. I know they're doing the Saratoga thing, but next weekend is a huge weekend. Sword Dancer/Alabama at Saratoga, plus Arlington Million Day.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:24 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Yes, there are certainly a lack of options, because synthetic track is a no-go. I would like to see the Fair Grounds considered. Maybe Parx can get to that level before I turn 40.

Fourstardave today, certainly not complaining, but if NBC is taking time to broadcast - right at the end of the Olympics - don't think I'd be shelling out for the Fourstardave Handicap. I know they're doing the Saratoga thing, but next weekend is a huge weekend. Sword Dancer/Alabama at Saratoga, plus Arlington Million Day.
NBC Sports is showing the Sword Dancer and Alabama next weekend.

I am not familiar about broadcast rights in this setting but WGN-TV in Chicago could have some sort of exclusivity. I don't know if the horse racing channels air the race or if NBC Sports is considered a competitor of sorts to WGN's interests since the channel has a national carry. I could be mistaken about all that but I do know that WGN has had a past relationship with Arlington (the Million).

Old
08-11-2012, 11:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
NBC Sports is showing the Sword Dancer and Alabama next weekend.

I am not familiar about broadcast rights in this setting but WGN-TV in Chicago could have some sort of exclusivity. I don't know if the horse racing channels air the race or if NBC Sports is considered a competitor of sorts to WGN's interests since the channel has a national carry. I could be mistaken about all that but I do know that WGN has had a past relationship with Arlington (the Million).
I know WGN had it last year, because I was in North Carolina and couldn't get it.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:43 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Old Time Hockey won yesterday in Del Mar. A Florida-bred horse from near half way between Gainesville (UF campus) and Orlando. Has Smarty Jones, A.P. Indy and Seattle Slew in his blood. Seventh time in the money in his last eight outings.

Next up unofficiallly is September 2 for the Del Mar Derby.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-12-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old
08-12-2012, 05:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Rosie Napravnik takes down the Adirondack with the shortest price winner in the history of the race.

Tried to double down, but scratched in the Saratoga Special, so hoping I can get the Parx shipper home.

Old
08-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

vCash: 500
What an absolutely stunning performance by Questing in the Alabama, that was surreal

Old
08-19-2012, 08:58 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ One of the commentators made a comparison to Sunday Silence in the 1989 Derby in the over-aggressive ride but the horse was phenomenal.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a handicapping analysis based on recent history...

Tackling the 2012 Travers

Quote:
Saratoga will present the 2012 edition of the $1 million Travers on Saturday, Aug. 25th, and our aim is to seek handicapping angles that might earn us a profit on the 1 1/4-mile, Grade 1 race.

To this end, we will focus on the most recent 25 runnings of the Travers, beginning with Java Gold's sloppy-track victory over Cryptoclearance in 1987, and concluding with Stay Thirsty's 2011 steamrolling of Rattlesnake Bridge and JW Blue.
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/17/473...2-travers.html

--------------------------------------------------------------
The Pacific Classic

Quote:
DEL MAR, Calif. - The Pacific Classic may draw a field of 10, including Hollywood Gold Cup winner Game On Dude and Richard’s Kid, the winner of the 2009 and 2010 Pacific Classic. Both are trained by Bob Baffert, who will also start Jaycito.

Other candidates are Amani, the Chilean star mare who was third in her U.S. debut in the Grade 1 Clement Hirsch Stakes on Aug. 4; Rail Trip, John Scott and Kettle Corn, the first three finishers of the San Diego Handicap on July 28; the Calder stakes winner Where’s Sterling; Dullahan, the winner of the Blue Grass Stakes in April; and Suggestive Boy, who won the Wickerr Stakes on turf on July 25.
http://www.drf.com/news/del-mar-paci...ve-10-starters
----------------------------------------------------------------

Selected races: August 24 through 26
Date Race Grade Distance Age Track Purse
08/24/2012 Ballerina I 7 Furlongs 3 yo's & up Saratoga $500,000
08/25/2012 Ballston Spa II 1 1/16 Miles 3 yo's & up Saratoga $250,000
08/25/2012 Del Mar H. II 1 3/8 Miles 3 yo's & up Del Mar $200,000
08/25/2012 Test I 7 Furlongs 3 yo Saratoga $500,000
08/25/2012 Foxwoods King's Bishop I 7 Furlongs 3 yo Saratoga $500,000
08/25/2012 Travers I 1 1/4 Miles 3 yo Saratoga $1,000,000
08/25/2012 Canadian Derby III 1 3/8 Miles 3 yo Northlands Park $200,000
08/26/2012 Pat O'Brien S. II 1 Mile 3 yo's & up Del Mar $250,000
08/26/2012 Del Mar Mile II 1 Mile 3 yo's & up Del Mar $200,000
08/26/2012 Play the King S. II 7 Furlongs 3 yo's & up Woodbine $200,000
08/26/2012 Personal Ensign Invitational I 1 1/8 Miles 3 yo's & up Saratoga $600,000
08/26/2012 TVG Pacific Classic I 1 1/4 Miles 3 yo's & up Del Mar $1,000,000

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-19-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old
08-19-2012, 10:28 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 400
Quote from Del Mar's facebook page

Quote:
Richard’s Kid, the double winner of the TVG Pacific Classic, was sold privately Saturday to a four man group and shifted from the barn of trainer Bob Baffert to that of Doug O’Neill. The selling price was undisclosed for the 7-year-old horse by Lemon Drop Kid, a winner of 11 races and more than $1.9-million.

The new ownership group is led by Steve Boghossian’s Triple B Farms and also consists of Mark Verge’s Westside Rentals, Dave Kenny and Steve Keh. The owners have indicated that the horse will run in the Pacific Classic as planned.

Old
08-20-2012, 03:28 AM
puckyeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see a return to Monmouth or Belmont in 2014/15 but the near-guarantee with California's climate is an influential factor. The weather conditions in New Jersey, as we remember, were ugly the last time the event was held there.

Belmont was likely hindered because of recent past New York/NYRA political and legal matters.

Gulfstream is likely too small.

Arlington, Del Mar and others have poly which could be detrimental to their causes. I don't know if the surface is an overwhelming consideration but I'd like to see Del Mar host the event -- it would have great visuals for TV, such as Churchill under the lights, but for different imagery.

Pimlico maybe lacks the mustard in the eyes of those who matter.

http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup...ost-2013-event
Not only does Del Mar have Poly, which i cant imagine the BC will embrace, but their turf course is too small. Too many horses get blocked and never get clear down there, just doesnt seem like enough room. They will have to convert back to dirt and widen the turf course to have any shot.

Then again, with all that said, there is a former Del Mar higher up who's working with the Breeders Cup...so, they possibly have some sort of 'in'.

Old
08-21-2012, 03:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

If Richard's Kid wins the Pacific Classic, I think he'll be retired.

Also, Bodemeister was retired today with a shoulder injury.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...eister-retired

Also, Animal Kingdom is apparently not retired:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/iv80hk

Old
08-22-2012, 02:24 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
If anyone is interested, here is Frankel running in the Juddmonte international over 10 Furlongs for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr_ChX6Jv4s

He was already considered the best European miler of all time (and has the highest rating of all time), but this puts him clearly above him anything we have at 10/12 furlongs too. It's almost sad that his racing career is over, because i doubt i will ever see a better horse.

Unfortunately he won't be running in the BC. His trainer isn't a fan of the meeting, but more importantly, it's on dirt rather than proride, so they won't risk him, which is hardly suprising given he's the most valuable horse alive.

Old
08-23-2012, 09:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
If anyone is interested, here is Frankel running in the Juddmonte international over 10 Furlongs for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr_ChX6Jv4s

He was already considered the best European miler of all time (and has the highest rating of all time), but this puts him clearly above him anything we have at 10/12 furlongs too. It's almost sad that his racing career is over, because i doubt i will ever see a better horse.

Unfortunately he won't be running in the BC. His trainer isn't a fan of the meeting, but more importantly, it's on dirt rather than proride, so they won't risk him, which is hardly suprising given he's the most valuable horse alive.
Personally, I think he's above the Breeders' Cup. We make it out to be this big event, 'World Championships,' etc., but it only really affects the legacies of North American horses, and hurts them when Europeans come over to show them up. I think people know Europe is where the big boys run, and American horses can't really compete. Plus, Europeans seem to prefer the Arlington Million and Canadian International. It would be nice if he came, but the big European stars mean more to the show and not necessarily the race.

Speaking of the Arlington Million, how about Little Mike? Stealing one on the front end much like The Tin Man did once upon a time. Ramon Dominguez with his 2nd Million win, and no one's ever won 3.

Old
08-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Valrico Gold

Gr 1 Travers

The Mid-Summers Derby is a competitive race with no real stars in the field.

1. Speightscity - broke maiden by 11 over the track. Away since February. Longshot possibility.
2. Five Sixteen - gelding saved every inch while 2nd in the Curlin prep.
3. Golden Ticket - away since the Derby. Working very well.
4. Stealcase - will like the distance, but seems outclassed.
5. Street Life - late bloomer won the Curlin and should be charging through the lane.
6. Alpha - wired the Jim Dandy field over a very sloppy track. Distance questionable, but loves the track.
7. Atigun - 3rd in the Belmont is his claim to fame.
8. Neck 'n Neck - finished resolutely in the Jim Dandy. Has come into his own.
9. Liaison - Baffert runner also closed in the Jim Dandy. Back to Bejarano. Should like added distance.
10. Nonios - another late bloomer was 2nd in the Haskell. Johnny V aboard 1st time.
11. Fast Falcon - Zito runner needs more seasoning to handle these.

Picks
Neck 'n Neck
Street Life
Liaison

Longshot Speightscity

Old
08-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

I like Stealcase for the price, had a tough trip in the Haskell and finished well behind Paynter and Nonios

Just finished my pick 4, was up in the air on spreading out to beat Contested or singling her -manned up and singled her.

Old
08-25-2012, 04:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Yeah baby! Willie Beamin in the King's Bishop, only 3 days rest.

Old
08-25-2012, 04:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Heater in the Travers! Alpha and Golden Ticket unable to the separated at the line.

Old
08-25-2012, 04:58 PM
KevFist
is best pony

That was an amazing race! I thought Alpha won it at the line for sure!

Old
08-25-2012, 04:59 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

How do they color the canoe?

Edit:

Quote:
Dominguez didn't know who won, either."I don't think either of us really knew," Dominguez said, referring to Cohen. "When we both realized it was dead heat, we were pretty relieved and pretty happy at the same time."

Travers tradition calls for a canoe sitting in a lake in the infield to be painted in the winning colors. It now appears there will be two canoes."I'm wondering who gets the canoe, how they're going to paint it the canoe," said McLaughlin. "That's very important at this time."Alpha came into the Travers off a win in the Jim Dandy, while Golden Ticket was a last-minute entry by McPeek and had won only one of nine career starts.
Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2012/08/25/...#storylink=cpy

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-26-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Closed Thread