HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Marc-Andre Bourdon signed to a contract extension; Scott Laughton signed to an ELC

Old
08-08-2012, 07:49 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
You see Cousins in a 4th line center role? Never really pictured him in that situation before. 3rd line agitator on the wing maybe who can chip in some offense, not so much 4th line center. Holmstrom definitely.
Long-term Cousins is definitely a 3rd/4th line winger who will cause problems.

Right now though, I don't know what the Flyers have planned. All indications are that they're going to let him have a go at center.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Briere
Wellwood - Couturier - Read
Talbot - Cousins/Laughton/Holmstrom - Fedotenko
Rinaldo

Timonen - Schenn
Coburn - Grossmann
Bourdon - Gustafsson
Gervais - Lilja

Bryzgalov
Leighton

I could do that.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
RT @RenLavoieRDS: Marc-André Bourdon contract with the Flyers. 2 year / 1.225 total. First season is 2 way.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:40 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Long-term Cousins is definitely a 3rd/4th line winger who will cause problems.

Right now though, I don't know what the Flyers have planned. All indications are that they're going to let him have a go at center.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Briere
Wellwood - Couturier - Read
Talbot - Cousins/Laughton/Holmstrom - Fedotenko
Rinaldo

Timonen - Schenn
Coburn - Grossmann
Bourdon - Gustafsson
Gervais - Lilja

Bryzgalov
Leighton

I could do that.
That third line would get pushed around a lot. I like the idea of seeing Wellwood in the top 9 (he definitely can), but I'd rather see Rusty there, for that purpose. I also don't think they see Rinaldo as the 13th forward, he's a 4th liner, unless someone really impresses in camp. Maybe Harry Z will dress some games instead of Rinaldo sometimes, we'll see.

That first D pairing is also very dangerous. Kimmo is a proven top pairing guy, but can he still handle these minutes? Having him worn out or injured at the end of the year would really hurt us. Schenn is a question mark. I also think Gervais will be on the 3rd pairing, unless Gus really impresses. Gervais is a capable 3rd pairing guy. Not that Gus isn't, but I think Gervais is better for now. Plus, Gus has a 2 way contract I think. Right now, I think our line up would be more like this :

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek/Briere
Briere/Voracek - Schenn - Simmonds
Fedotenko - Couturier - Read
Wellwood - Talbot - Rinaldo/Zolnierczyk
Shelley

or

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek/Briere
Briere/Voracek - Schenn - Read
Wellwood - Couturier - Simmonds
Fedotenko - Talbot - Rinaldo/Z
Shelley

Coburn - Timonen* (not all the time, he needs a lesser role, but I can't see Schenn or Grossmann on a top pairing)
Grossmann - Schenn
Gervais - Bourdon
Lilja
(Gus, Manning, Syvret)

YuioIklo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
RT @RenLavoieRDS: Marc-André Bourdon contract with the Flyers. 2 year / 1.225 total. First season is 2 way.
Weird.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:08 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
That third line would get pushed around a lot. I like the idea of seeing Wellwood in the top 9 (he definitely can), but I'd rather see Rusty there, for that purpose.
I wouldn't. Wellwood is more appropriate for the third line I think. We'll see what Lavi decides.

Quote:
I also don't think they see Rinaldo as the 13th forward, he's a 4th liner, unless someone really impresses in camp. Maybe Harry Z will dress some games instead of Rinaldo sometimes, we'll see.
Meh. Shelley vs. Rinaldo vs. Sestito vs. Zolnierczyk vs. etc.

I don't know what Lavi is going to do about that.

Quote:
That first D pairing is also very dangerous. Kimmo is a proven top pairing guy, but can he still handle these minutes? Having him worn out or injured at the end of the year would really hurt us. Schenn is a question mark.
Yes, he can. Whether Lavi will use him or save him for the postseason is a different matter. That said, I don't know if it necessary a big deal if those pairings are flipflopped. I almost guarantee that Grossmann is with Coburn and Timonen is with Schenn at least to start the camp. I don't see Lavi breaking up Coburn - Grossmann.

Quote:
I also think Gervais will be on the 3rd pairing, unless Gus really impresses. Gervais is a capable 3rd pairing guy. Not that Gus isn't, but I think Gervais is better for now. Plus, Gus has a 2 way contract I think.
I don't necessarily know that Gervais is better than Gus right now. That's for camp to decide.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:41 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Good value on the Bourdon deal.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
That it's two way and less than his other contract worries me. Is he still concussioning?

08-08-2012, 09:56 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Yea definitly agree with what GKJ said.

1) Can't see them splitting Grossmann and Coburn up. They were the top defensive pairing last postseason, and Lavy is the type of coach who doesnt really like to chance around the D pairings when they work.

2) The only way Gervias plays over Gus and/or Bourdon is because of his "vet" presense. Homer and Lavy really favor it over playing young and inexperienced guys (inexperienced because they dont play enough). Lavy did change abit though when he had Gus playing a few games when Lilja was healthy.

3) Another thing on Gervias. Dont expect to much out of him, even as a 6 guy. He is known as Brutal Gervias for a reason. Can't remember who said it, but they said he reminds them of Randy Jones. Not great defense and offense really isnt there. Rather have a rookie work out there then give a 1 year guy who is known for his average #6 play, playing time.

4) I think we all can agree that Wellwood, unless he has a bad camp, solidified himself on the roster for next season. He was playing over other guys like Rinaldo during the postseason because Lavy trusted him more. I wouldnt be surprised at all if Rinaldo was the 13 guy or a fillin type of player.

5) I cant see MAB being healthy atm, no matter what Homer says. A few weeks ago, people said MAB was still suffering greatly and hasnt even started working out yet. Homer then comes out and says he is perfectly fine. Everyone here agrees that Homer...fibs...at times. Im leaning towards another fib. And if it is, this will GREATLY prohibit a player of his type of play from showing his really talent. I see it like this. I personally think Gustafsson is the better "overall" player. I seen more from Gus where it made me feel like he can be a solid player. His playoffs looked VERY good and was one of the only defenders to stay with Malkin. While MAB looked good the first couple games, he really struggled. Ya he had a concussion which does affect it, but when he got the concussion and when his bad play started is another story. I think MAB might have the inside track, since Homer is known for loving his big hard hitting defensemen which MAB is. I personally think with the loss of Meszaros and Carle, we need another puckmover other than Timonen. The closest guy is Coburn and he isnt even considered one. Grossmann, Schenn and MAB obviously cant. Gervias can once every few games if he is lucky (and Lilja is...yea Lilja)

Last edited by sa cyred: 08-08-2012 at 10:02 PM.
sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:14 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
makes perfect sense

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:28 PM
FLYguy3911

I don't think they signed Gervais just to be a 7th D. It sounds like they tried to make an effort to add some righties on the backend (Schenn and Weber ). That's just my opinion though.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
That would be a poor move. Unlike Couturier who dominated his league for two years (and had the extra year of experience), Laughton is still developing his offensive game and the lack of ice time would wreck him. Let him go back to Oshawa for at least another year and give him a chance to dominate. Let him play 20 minutes a night. Let him play the powerplay. Let him possibly get a chance to play at the WJC's. Let him mature.
Correct.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Wonder why Laughton's contract needed to be done now, unless the Flyers think the new CBA would cost them more, or won't get 3 years out of it.
I don't know the answer to this, but it seems a lot of teams are going this route in the last few weeks. I've seem many 1st round picks sign, when that is a bit unusual in past years. Obviously they know something about what the new CBA may bring and want to sign the kids now.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:24 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
good value on the Bourdon signing. Only can go by Holmgren's word of mouth on Bourdon being "fine" now.
Not shocked Laughton signed even tho he will more then likely go back to junior and his contract will slide.
I do agree that teams are locking up some of their prospects now. Must know something about the wording in the new CBA.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:33 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

One thing to keep in mind, we lost Carle to free-agency and Meszaros to freak accident.

Which two defensemen on our roster closely resemble those two the most? Gustafsson and Bourdon.

Just keep that in mind.

Old
08-09-2012, 06:37 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
We shouldn't be wasting a contract year on him unless he looks like Couturier out there. Let him develop for at least 1 more year if not more.
It's not "wasting" a contract, because the contract will slide if he doesn't make the club (same with Cousins and Mathers).

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:10 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind, we lost Carle to free-agency and Meszaros to freak accident.

Which two defensemen on our roster closely resemble those two the most? Gustafsson and Bourdon.

Just keep that in mind.
Only concern is the learning curve the two are going to have. At this point Carle and Meszaros have enough to time hop right into the season. There's going to be some growing pains with these two due to lack of experience.

Something I hope will be overcome by the all star break, barring that Gust-MAB become the solid 5/6.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Prongo
Beer

According to Meltzer and cap geek, MAB contract is two way in the first year, with a AHL salary of 105K and one way in year 2.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:16 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
According to Meltzer and cap geek, MAB contract is two way in the first year, with a AHL salary of 105K and one way in year 2.
So am I wrong for thinking this means that Homer is seeing Gervais-Gust as the 5-6 and that he's covering himself if MAB doesn't blow up in training camp?

If that's Homer's rationale then good move on his part.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer/stat...00927108579328

Quote:
Bourdon is still subject to waivers if Flyers send him down this season. However, he'd be exempt from recall waivers in 2012-13.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:06 PM
BillDineen

I can't imagine Bourdon passing through waivers with his low cap hit.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:07 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I can't imagine Bourdon passing through waivers with his low cap hit.
He is a #6/#7 at this point of his career, underachieved in the AHL, missed the last quarter of the season and almost the whole playoffs due to PCS, has only played 45 games in the NHL so far and is signed for two more years with the second year being a one-way contract.

It's not like scouts are drooling over his huge upside...he is a solid overall prospect but he is not a big bruiser or gifted puck mover - at least not to the extend where it immediately catches your eye.

Bartulis had a lower cap hit and made it through waivers.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

Just keep that in mind.
I would say Syvret more than Bourdon.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I don't know the answer to this, but it seems a lot of teams are going this route in the last few weeks. I've seem many 1st round picks sign, when that is a bit unusual in past years. Obviously they know something about what the new CBA may bring and want to sign the kids now.
The story in the paper said it was because the league is asking for 5 year ELC deals, so this would let Laughton be RFA sooner. Clearly both the league and the PA are prepared to stick it to the rooks, longer ELC period = more cost control. Maybe no bonuses either?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:59 PM
toughfighter83*

mab is not the solution to replace mez because he's just coming off with a concussion no one knows what he'll become, he doesnt have a deadly shot, he's not as big as mez, he's just coming off an injury like i said,

if the flyers had a big young guy with deadly shoot in the farm system, then i would be all for it but relying on a injuried prone player like mab and his lack of size is a bad idea.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:57 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yea definitly agree with what GKJ said.

1) Can't see them splitting Grossmann and Coburn up. They were the top defensive pairing last postseason, and Lavy is the type of coach who doesnt really like to chance around the D pairings when they work.

2) The only way Gervias plays over Gus and/or Bourdon is because of his "vet" presense. Homer and Lavy really favor it over playing young and inexperienced guys (inexperienced because they dont play enough). Lavy did change abit though when he had Gus playing a few games when Lilja was healthy.

3) Another thing on Gervias. Dont expect to much out of him, even as a 6 guy. He is known as Brutal Gervias for a reason. Can't remember who said it, but they said he reminds them of Randy Jones. Not great defense and offense really isnt there. Rather have a rookie work out there then give a 1 year guy who is known for his average #6 play, playing time.

4) I think we all can agree that Wellwood, unless he has a bad camp, solidified himself on the roster for next season. He was playing over other guys like Rinaldo during the postseason because Lavy trusted him more. I wouldnt be surprised at all if Rinaldo was the 13 guy or a fillin type of player.

5) I cant see MAB being healthy atm, no matter what Homer says. A few weeks ago, people said MAB was still suffering greatly and hasnt even started working out yet. Homer then comes out and says he is perfectly fine. Everyone here agrees that Homer...fibs...at times. Im leaning towards another fib. And if it is, this will GREATLY prohibit a player of his type of play from showing his really talent. I see it like this. I personally think Gustafsson is the better "overall" player. I seen more from Gus where it made me feel like he can be a solid player. His playoffs looked VERY good and was one of the only defenders to stay with Malkin. While MAB looked good the first couple games, he really struggled. Ya he had a concussion which does affect it, but when he got the concussion and when his bad play started is another story. I think MAB might have the inside track, since Homer is known for loving his big hard hitting defensemen which MAB is. I personally think with the loss of Meszaros and Carle, we need another puckmover other than Timonen. The closest guy is Coburn and he isnt even considered one. Grossmann, Schenn and MAB obviously cant. Gervias can once every few games if he is lucky (and Lilja is...yea Lilja)
1) Yeah, but do you really see Schenn on the top pairing? He has a high upside, but last year he was a third pairing guy. I easily see him stepping up to the top 4, but the top pairing is a stretch. Coburn, on the other hand, could. He has already played with Timonen too, and it was a good fit.

2) and 3) I haven't watched Gervais play that much, but when I saw him play, he wasn't a "brutal" defender, he was decent. We'll see in camp.

4) Wellwood will definitely play, my point was more that Rinaldo will play, too. He brings a great presence to the 4th line and I don't see why he would be scratched unless someone really impresses in camp. I think of a Wellwood - Talbot - Rinaldo line. It's not about Wellwood vs Rinaldo anymore, since we lost 2 forwards and only added one, there's room for both.

5) I agree about this, we need another PMD, but pairing a PMD with another rookie on a third pairing is very dangerous. PMDs can create a lot of turnovers with their style of play, and need to be paired with experienced defensive-minded defenders (that's why Pronger - Carle was a perfect combinaison). Also, a PMD is more effective on the top 4 than on a 3rd pairing, which normally are shutdown pairings. I like Gus a lot, but I think that the fit, for now, wouldn't be really good. If he makes it, it would have to be with Lilja or Walker imo, because they are defensive-minded guys. Gervais - Gus would be a bad fit and Bourdon - Gus, well 2 rookies together is always dangerous (not saying it can't be good, just that it's a risk). I also think that Bourdon is more NHL ready, but has to play with a vet. I don't know about his health, we'll see. But obviously, this is all based on what we saw last year, it can be different in camp.

YuioIklo is online now   Reply With Quote