HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Lowe in Oil

vCash: 500
Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part II

Old thread is over 1000 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Doesnt eberle play center? And regher has a NTC that I doubt he would waive again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I totally agree. Tambo does too, by the sounds of it. I think his extension was probably 2 years. Katz probably gave him 1 more year to rebuild, and then you better make hay or else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I predicted they'd finish last in the conference and bottom 5 overall last year and many here scoffed. I'm telling you guys right now, "this" isn't over yet. Just wait until 2 dmen go down and we see Sutton playing in the top 4, or Gagner gets hurt (yeah, I'm relying on Gagner to stay healthy now ) and either Hall moves to C or Horcoff moves back into the top 6. "This" isn't over by a longshot.
Quote:
I'm also realistic. This roster won't be strong enough as is. They need to add at least one more elite player on defense. If they can do it without resorting to the lottery draft, great, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've been through 5 crap years. Another one won't break my spirit because I know the glory is coming. I'd rather ensure that glory happens than pull up too early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
hall, eberle, nuge going through another lottery finish won't go well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Aren't you iching for something to cheer about Cloned?
Quote:
To be honest, I wouldn't mind another lottery finish. Might as well get the most out of your horribad years.

Hall
Eberle
RNH
Yakupov
Schultz
Jones

Would be a crazy good core. You have 6 potential franchise players there.
Quote:
It'll just make the patented Tambo troll-grin all the more satisfying next year when the Oilers finish in 26th and win the lottery...
Quote:
It all comes down to Dubnyk IMO. Khabby has been the gift that keeps on giving but I don't know if he can do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
maybe we get to the lottery, though I doubt it, even so we won't be bottom two. The Blue Jackets are a much worse team than us at this point. That is one team below us for sure.
Quote:
It'll be either MacKinnon or Jones for the Oilers next summer. You can pretty much guarantee that.

I see them making big moves next summer, but it'll be another lottery year coming up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Hall will just move back once Mackinnon shows up.
Quote:
I wonder how good MacKinnon is at faceoffs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
It's such a silly idea to now do the Hall to center experiment. This should have been done last season which was a development year.

So now they are going to waste a year trying to see if Hall can make the difficult transition to center?
Add in the real possibility that Hall just isn't a good fit at center and this is a bad idea IMO.
Quote:
Damn you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Step 4: Learn to spell "hole". :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I'd looked at Buffalo's roster before and I just don't see any significant move happening unless we move one of our top 4 forwards, which I would be absolutely shocked if it happened. Getting Regehr would be fun for those games against the Flames though. Seeing him plaster Iginla would be awesome!
Quote:
Step 1: Trade the second best player you have in a position you are weak at for an older player

Step 2: Move your best player at your weakest forward position (a position he hasn't played in 5 years) to cover the hole

Step 3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Then you try Eberle.

Yakupov - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Paajarvi/Smyth - Hall - Hemsky

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Hemsky
Paajarvi/Smyth - Eberle - Yakupov

Would be my 2 guesses at what we would do
Quote:
Great Smyth and Jones to round out the top 6 on the LW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
IMO trading a centre away before knowing for sure that you can replace him is a bad bad idea. If they try Hall at centre and he flops, what's the back up plan? Here's a hint: it rhymes with Dawn Morecough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO the fact that Hall to C has been talked about as much as it has means that he's the likely replacement for Gagner.
Quote:
This is a deal that is probably pretty close in value in the real world but I just don't see why the Oilers would trade Gagner and not have at least some type of center coming back or in another deal. Is having an aging, slowing, but tough dman worth having Horcoff as your #2C for another year?

Also, the fact that people are actually discussing trading RNH makes me shake my head.
Quote:
Talk of trading RNH is ugly at best. You don't trade #1 centers with his potential unless you are getting a clear upgrade.

IMO Regehr makes the most sense, especially if he wasn't happy with how he left Calgary. Something along the lines of Regehr and Enroth for Gagner and Hartikainen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I wouldn't trade RNH for anyone in the NHL at this point.

Center is the most valuable position in the game.

A1 centers aren't moved around, aside from Thornton in 06.

RNH is our first legitimate star center since god knows when.

There isn't a better, younger center in the league so I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

Pietrangelo, Karlsson and Doughty hold an equivalent to him in value, but I'd rather have a good center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
You are really overvaluing Miller, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Oh hell no. What a ridiculous idea. RNH is going nowhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I think that's a very nice return, but Hopkins has a chance to be an elite franchise center. You just don't trade a player with that ability and who's that young. Myers is IMO far more likely to be the lesser of the two young guys. As good as Miller is, he's not enough of an upgrade over Dubnyk that i would lose the Nuge for him in a deal. I really believe Hopkins probably has one or more Conn Smythe's in his future. He just makes everyone that much better, the thing overlooked with him IMO is how valuable a player type that is.

It's better to have a guy who maximizes the game of his teammates (Crosby) as opposed to a guy who uses his teammates to maximize his game (Ovechkin). I know that sounds a little odd, but players that can get the most out of everybody on the ice bring more value than just what they themselves can do. They increase the value and importance of all the players they play with. This player type is the most valuable in the league, even more so than a power forward. It's why Gretzky>Lemieux, despite Lemieux having the far greater physical talents.
Quote:
I do it in a second, but it opens up quite a hole when it comes to the faceoff dot.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:29 PM
s7ark

Thanks for starting this

Old
08-08-2012, 07:22 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Trading RNH would be a debacle of massive proportions. Don't even go there.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:38 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Trading RNH would be a debacle of massive proportions. Don't even go there.
Agreed!!

Old
08-08-2012, 08:05 PM
shai04

We all need a bit more patience. Trading away any of the top 4 is asinine and insane at this point. No one player is going to improve us instantaneously into a contender. We still have one more season of growing pains... then the kids should all be ready to go.

With some decent goaltending, we might already find ourselves in the playoff race this season.

As per the Sabres... They don't have a replacement for our 2C that so many of us are so eager to trade away (#89). Perhaps you have all forgotten what it is to have to suffer watching Shawn Horcoff center one of our scoring lines.

So far as Bobby Ryan is concerned... I will reassert he is as soft as butter. We do not want that headcase on our team.

Bobby Ryan comes in at #92 for hits by a forward in 2011/12. In a tie at 113 hits with such notable tough as nails battering rams as Mike Ribeiro and Andrei Kostitsyn.

Clearly, we need a man who uses his body as effectively as the dreaded AK47 or Ribeiro. Better give up one of the top 4 to get him too. Bobby Ryan had as many penalty minutes as the Sedin sisters last year too. Power forward yeah right.

He wouldn't be called a power forward in a Swedish division II girls league.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by shai04 View Post
We all need a bit more patience. Trading away any of the top 4 is asinine and insane at this point. No one player is going to improve us instantaneously into a contender. We still have one more season of growing pains... then the kids should all be ready to go.

With some decent goaltending, we might already find ourselves in the playoff race this season.

As per the Sabres... They don't have a replacement for our 2C that so many of us are so eager to trade away (#89). Perhaps you have all forgotten what it is to have to suffer watching Shawn Horcoff center one of our scoring lines.

So far as Bobby Ryan is concerned... I will reassert he is as soft as butter. We do not want that headcase on our team.

Bobby Ryan comes in at #92 for hits by a forward in 2011/12. In a tie at 113 hits with such notable tough as nails battering rams as Mike Ribeiro and Andrei Kostitsyn.

Clearly, we need a man who uses his body as effectively as the dreaded AK47 or Ribeiro.
Better give up one of the top 4 to get him too. Bobby Ryan had as many penalty minutes as the Sedin sisters last year too. Power forward yeah right.

He wouldn't be called a power forward in a Swedish division II girls league.
Not the best argument... Ribeiro and Kostitsyn are both pretty gritty

Old
08-08-2012, 08:25 PM
shai04

Quote:
Not the best argument... Ribeiro and Kostitsyn are both pretty gritty
AK47 looked real gritty against Phoenix in the playoffs... wait a second...

You'd be pretty generous to call either gritty.

Gritty is not what I was talking about anyways, Ryan is not a power forward. He is no more physical than a number of current Oilers (Jones, etc). We already have several better scoring wingers. Neither Ribeiro or AK47 are guys who intimidate the opposition, or open up more space for their team. That's what we actually need. Bobby Ryan won't do that for us.

Last edited by shai04: 08-08-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old
08-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Paralyzer008

This team is a 26th place team. Even if we pick up, say, a Regehr/Hjalmarsson caliber D, I don't think it changes our place very much.

Lots of things must go right for us to make the playoffs:
A) Eberle and Hall have to at least stay at their respective PPG
B) RNH has to improve his PPG a bit
C) Gagner has to improve to at least 50 points
D) Yakupov has to have 50 or so points out of the gate
E) Smyth has to have more than 35 points
F) Hemsky has to rebound to at least 40 points, and he probably has to stay relatively healthy
G) Jones has to have more than 25 points
H) 4th line has to be providing energy and hitting on a consistent basis while protecting the kids
I) Schultz has to have 30 points or so out of the gate
J) Smid/Petry have to be the 2nd pairing and continue the strong play
K) 3rd pair have to be "useable"
L) Whitney has to rebound to at least 30+ points, if not more
M) Schultz has to put up a better Corsi rating (he likely will)
N) Dubnyk has to be consistently good
O) Khabby has to be a strong back-up who can win games after Christmas
Optional and helping P) Getting a top pair D via trade

That's all we need for a playoff birth and all of those are hinging on everyone being healthy.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:03 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
^ If all those things happen, we'll be cup contenders, not just playoff contenders.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:32 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by shai04 View Post
AK47 looked real gritty against Phoenix in the playoffs... wait a second...

You'd be pretty generous to call either gritty.

Gritty is not what I was talking about anyways, Ryan is not a power forward. He is no more physical than a number of current Oilers (Jones, etc). We already have several better scoring wingers. Neither Ribeiro or AK47 are guys who intimidate the opposition, or open up more space for their team. That's what we actually need. Bobby Ryan won't do that for us.
Perfect! There's only 1 true one under the age of 35 imo... So we have our choice between Lucic... And Lucic... And Lucic. That'll be an easy acquisition. Top line players who intimidate and run over everyone in sight aren't exactly easy to get. Ryan would be a great player to get. We don't need someone to intimidate. We need someone big that can use their size to drive the net

Old
08-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

Lots of things must go right for us to make the playoffs:
A) Eberle and Hall have to at least stay at their respective PPG
B) RNH has to improve his PPG a bit
C) Gagner has to improve to at least 50 points
D) Yakupov has to have 50 or so points out of the gate
basis while protecting the kids
If those first four things happen and we stay healthy, our top 4 forwards (this is assuming Hemsky doesn't crack 50 points which could be unlikely if he's healthy) would have the following totals:

Eberle: 78 Points
Hall: 71 Points
RNH: 82 Points
Yakupov: 50 Points
TOTAL: 281 POINTS

That's three players with above 70 points and probably two above 50 points (counting Hemsky and Yakupov). Scanning through the Western Conference, zero teams even came close to matching that feat. The closest was Chicago - they were one goal off the lead in the Western Conference and still only had one player above 70 points.

If Hall, RNH and Eberle all play close to a point-per-game this season and stay healthy, we will probably be in the playoffs. Like the previous poster said, we're looking at a deep run in the playoffs if all your criteria come true.

I really don't think our final points in the standings was a true indication of our level of play last season. While we did finish second last to Columbus and that's all that really matters, our goal differential pushed us up to a tie for 12th in the West and only three goals off from Calgary. Add in the fact that tank-master Khabibulin finished the season 20 games under .500 with an .890 SV% (which is super scary given that he was near the top of the league for the first 20 games or so) and I truly think our place in the standings is a little misleading.

If we can even get a .905 SV% out of Dubnyk this year, that will be a .15% improvement on Khabibulin. Assuming an average of 30 shots against per game, that's almost half a goal less per game. Over an entire season, that's 41 less goals which would have put Edmonton at a +14 goal differential which would be good for 7th in the Western Conference.

That's a lot of junk math there but Khabibulin was that bad down the stretch and not all of it can be placed on the defence given the difference between he and Dubnyk's numbers.

Last edited by Cerebral: 08-08-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old
08-08-2012, 09:51 PM
shai04

Quote:
Perfect! There's only 1 true one under the age of 35 imo... So we have our choice between Lucic... And Lucic... And Lucic. That'll be an easy acquisition.
Epic logical leap.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:55 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

So, umm, I saw a couple weeks ago that Hasek wants to make a comeback this year to the NHL, anyone think it might be a good gamble to give him a minimum offer (doubt he would make anything more than that at the age of 47)...might be a good insurance policy for Habby if he gets hurt, i realize his age would be a concern for a lot of people, but he has never stopped playing, so its not like he is out of shape...i dunno, its kind of intriguing to me.

Anyways, just food for thought.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

No bloody way.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I see Eberle hasn't played center since junior, Hall hasn't played center since u-12 inline yet he is the future 2C replacement while Ryan Smyth becomes our best left winger.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:36 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Plenty of posts to throw my two cents in on...

RNH, Eberle, Hall are all untouchables... won't be traded... period. I tune out and move on when any trade proposal includes any of them.

Oilers won't have any interest in Bobby Ryan... not a piece they'd be targeting.

I could see something around Regehr... but I certainly wouldn't give up much for him. He's a solid bottom pairing dman at this stege but he isn't a high priority. They need to target someone with top 4 abilities. I like what Regehr brings but they can get by with any of Sutton/Peckham/Teubert playing that physical role in the bottom pair. Maybe not as good as Regehr but he's not big enough of an upgrade to give up much either.

The Oilers certainly can use a better goalie to back up or co-start with Dubnyk because Khabi is far, far past his prime... but I think the Oilers will be content with the Dubby-Khabi duo for another year. I think Danis is a good short term backup option in OKC if Khabi completely craps the bed and can't even stop a beach ball this year. Next off season you'll see Oil management shopping for another decent goalie, until Roy/Bunz prove they are ready to sniff the NHL (likely several more years away).

I don't expect many big moves from the Oilers... likely moving Omark and maybe 1 more minor piece (possibly a dman) for "something" is about all I expect from them.

They need size in the top 6 and a better #2 centre but I highly doubt that is going to be addressed this summer. I doubt there is a deal there for another legit top 4 dman either at this point. Probably very quiet until after the CBA is settled.. which could be many months away.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:54 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
So, umm, I saw a couple weeks ago that Hasek wants to make a comeback this year to the NHL, anyone think it might be a good gamble to give him a minimum offer (doubt he would make anything more than that at the age of 47)...might be a good insurance policy for Habby if he gets hurt, i realize his age would be a concern for a lot of people, but he has never stopped playing, so its not like he is out of shape...i dunno, its kind of intriguing to me.

Anyways, just food for thought.
There is more than one reason that there will be no chance, but keep in mind (correct me if im wrong) the Oilers have 23 players that are either in our top 6 or on one-way contracts, so there isn't room for a third goalie.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Calgary Oilers

What's this trade Rumour with Buffalo that they hinted at on Oilers Now?

Old
08-09-2012, 01:46 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Oilers View Post
Eklund rumor: Oilers moving young top 6 forward for a "significant" defenesman.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Seems to be some speculation from some newly joined HF Sabres fans that something is in the works between the two clubs. Names being thrown out there are Gagner, Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Regehr, Leopold, Sekera, and Luke Adam. Here's a link to the trade board where this is being discussed. Unfortunately it's also turned into a Myers Vs. RNH pissing match. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1243383

08-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Asher

Quote:
Seems to be some speculation from some newly joined HF Sabres fans that something is in the works between the two clubs. Names being thrown out there are Gagner, Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Regehr, Leopold, Sekera, and Luke Adam. Here's a link to the trade board where this is being discussed. Unfortunately it's also turned into a Myers Vs. RNH pissing match. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1243383
I realize people are just having fun, but talking about trading RNH is about as pointless as it gets.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Calgary Oilers

Quote:
I realize people are just having fun, but talking about trading RNH is about as pointless as it gets.
Well, Wayne was sold on this day 24 years ago...

Thanks gents for answering my Buffalo question.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:12 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
I'd accept Gags for McNabb....and McCormick....and a 1st.

...two 1sts?

Old
08-09-2012, 02:14 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I could see Sekera or Erhoff being dealt, both are owed quite a bit of money.

Picking up Sekera would be a really nice deal actually, he is a solid D man. As much as I like MPS I think him for Sekera would be a decent deal. perhaps throw in a pick coming from Buffallo.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Asher

Quote:
Well, Wayne was sold on this day 24 years ago...

Thanks gents for answering my Buffalo question.
If you could still sell players for cash and Puck owned the team I'd be worried. Fortunately neither is true today.

Closed Thread