HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What do you do for a living?

Old
08-09-2012, 12:18 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

vCash: 500
Gigolo

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:29 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
Gigolo
bit old to be shaking it innit?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:32 AM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Film director!

Mitch

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
Film director!

Mitch
Adult? Bom chicka wah wah.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:25 AM
GoHomez

Guitar player, race car driver, GM for the Habs and Djurgarden of the SEL.

Those carrers are occasionally interupted by my bill paying career as a logistics consultant.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:53 AM
Dont Poke Subban

I am a clown.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:34 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagielski41 View Post
I am a clown.
Circus or parties? Clown College or Clown Cegep? How many hanker shifts can you fit in your oesophagus are we talking 50+?

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:53 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagielski41 View Post
I am a clown.
Nice boots.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:59 AM
FF de Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZUnVp-CWbU

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:17 AM
kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I used to do security and bouncing at raves and stuff, where you at?
I'm currently on a two week contract at the Montreal University. Once I'm done(tomorrow), I'll most likely get offered another contract somewhere else. What company did you work for? I'm with Commissionaires.

By the way, anyone who's in need of a very lax job (depending on where you're assigned), apply there. As far as I know, they're in need of security guards right now. You go through a two week training, and then you're off to work with decent pay (you could make between 15 and a half and 18 dollars and more as the time goes on). Decent for anyone who's desperate for income or is just a student in need of a part-time job.

Last edited by kassian: 08-09-2012 at 07:28 AM.
kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:01 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
I'm currently on a two week contract at the Montreal University. Once I'm done(tomorrow), I'll most likely get offered another contract somewhere else. What company did you work for? I'm with Commissionaires.

By the way, anyone who's in need of a very lax job (depending on where you're assigned), apply there. As far as I know, they're in need of security guards right now. You go through a two week training, and then you're off to work with decent pay (you could make between 15 and a half and 18 dollars and more as the time goes on). Decent for anyone who's desperate for income or is just a student in need of a part-time job.
See the place to be to work as a Commissionaires is Ottawa...they are used by the Feds here in virtually every building.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:05 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Haha, that's right. I remember now.
... If not, make time next time you go back for some of that stuff.
Level 2 JPLT is very impressive. What I had working against me is that I worked with researchers who all spoke English to me, and my wife was fairly fluent even when we met. Also, my whole first year, I spent every evening, Saturday and part of Sunday finishing my thesis, and only had mealtimes to study, which I did assiduously, but probably burned me out and limited my zeal for study in years 2-5.

Never got to the raw horse. I agree about Fukuoka; I may try to incorporate a stay there once I make tenure and can take a sabbatical.

To answer your question about Tsukuba, it's more like a really large suburb, or perhaps a well landscaped industrial park (such as in the Raleigh, NC area - Research Triangle Park), in my view. Lots of parks, tennis courts, and things like that, and not typically Japanese in any way. I was told by one of my mentors, a French guy who taught at McGill and who came over for a visit, that Tsukuba was designed to fulfill a Japanese urban planning ideal of what a city should be. Another nice thing about Tsukuba is that it was sort of like the UN of science and technology, in that it has foreign researchers from many countries, especially India, China, Russia (and very few from North America), which made for very interesting parties in the researcher residences. This experience was one of my truly interesting career choices.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:08 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Nice boots. ...
Epic put-down. One of the highlights of the thread so far.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:15 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
LOL one of my uncles, when I was there and told him what I was studying, said the same. Every time he saw me, he said the same. Ahh I already miss being there.

Thanks for tips, I'll look into that.
I've been to Porto and Lisbon, on separate trips (I interact with a Portuguese prof, who does not publish much, but is constantly involved in journal and conference committees, and has me take part now and then). Really enjoyed them both. In Porto, I was at a conf dinner that took place at Taylors' (as in Taylor Fladgate port)
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ba...d=0CIgBEPwSMAA
and at dessert, each table of about 6 had two bottles of Taylor Fladgate port to polish off. Needless to say, I don't remember much from this dinner, except having a fantastic time. The conf in Lisbon's highlights were a committee dinner at this castle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_S%C3%A3o_Jorge , with an amazing view of the city, and a side-trip to Evora, which features a chapel lined with human bones and craniums. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capela_dos_Ossos

Edit: my comment on your career just goes back to my post that features Jack Palance. Find your One Thing, and set yourself apart. It need not be diplomacy, but bear in mind that there are probably hundreds of graduates in Poli Sci every year. There are very few of them equipped to be a diplomat, or whatever other specialization you choose, and an even smaller percentage equipped to negotiate with a Chinese, Arab, or even Hispanic counter-part, for that matter. If you speak Portuguese and French, you probably have a leg up on learning Spanish, a combination that gives you access to all of the Americas, plus the Iberic Peninsula. If you have a nose for numbers, it could also be economics is a good complement, so you could be involved in negotiating trade agreements. I would definitely poke around, ask questions, and think creatively as well as strategically.

Last edited by VirginiaMtlExpat: 08-09-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old
08-09-2012, 09:39 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Monbusho scolarships in Japan

For those of you just finishing your Bachelors degree, and intrigued about life in Japan, please be aware that there is a scholarship designed to attract foreigners to study in Japan, the so-called Monbusho scholarships, which is short for Monbukagaskusho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monbukagakusho_Scholarship

Research students: You must be under 35 years of age and a college graduate (includes prospective graduates). Or you must have completed 16 years of schooling. This programs allows the recipients to apply for a Graduate Degree Program (Masters and/or PhD) given that they passed their assigned University's entrance examination.

If you want to experience life outside Canada, this seems to me like a great way to do it. It may be however that you need to contact someone at a university who wants to work with you on a Master's or PhD degree.

I've enjoyed my time there, and it looks like Ohashi also did. Edit: to borrow from Chris Rock, being a foreigner in Japan is "like being a woman with big t*ts."

Last edited by VirginiaMtlExpat: 08-09-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old
08-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Xia

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Cool job. I'd love to work with animals, the 4 legged kind.
I actually got to work with some exotics as well for two weeks. I won a co op placement at the Toronto Zoo when I was in college, time of my life. I had the pleasure of working with Sumatran Tigers, Indian Rhino, all sorts of birds and reptiles as well.

Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:18 AM
KBstyle

NDT inspector.

KBstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:22 AM
kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
See the place to be to work as a Commissionaires is Ottawa...they are used by the Feds here in virtually every building.
Actually, all of the federal buildings are guarded by the Commissionnaires if I'm not mistaken.

By the way, I just received a message not two hours ago that I have an interview to obtain a contract on Monday.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:07 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Ha, the only way I think I could have done better is if I was blonde. Seriously, Japanese girls just lose their s--- for blonde hair. You could be the homeliest ogre to fall out of the ugly tree, but if you're 6'+ and blonde, you basically need to learn kendo for swatting the horde away.
Haha, good to know, I have blonde hair. I have had similar treatments in Latin America.

Quote:
The best advice I can give you (especially if a 2nd language is involved) is go somewhere with the intention of staying longer than a year, and try not to decide whether to stay or go any time in your first year there. It can take a year, even in total immersion, to absorb enough grammar, vocabulary, and slang to let you really get to know the people around you. And once you're able to do that, it's amazing how quickly and vastly the country around you will seem to open. I really found it rewarding when I got to the level where friends/family could come and visit, and I could orchestrate and guide every step of trips that would include more than just the "standard" tourist destinations. That was definitely some time in year two.
Yeah, I just haven't gotten the chance yet. I spent 5 months in Rio, but you are right, it just isn't enough time. Once I finish my degree(s) I will have more options, I don't really plan on living in Canada.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:10 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
but do they lose their **** for ginger hair?

they do in china. just making sure for when i eventually go on vacation there

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
I'm an ice cream maker.
True story.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
I sell oxycotin and crack near metro berri-uqam

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:08 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
I'm an ice cream maker.
True story.
small or large scale?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:22 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

vCash: 204
Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Starting my first university year in September.
Aiming for a major in Accounting and minor in Management Information Systems.

dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:27 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Nice boots.

"I do cocaaaaine!"

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote