Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

Seattle Working To Land NBA Team

Old
08-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 500
The Sonics certainly didn't move because of poor fan support. The people here love their sports teams. They pack CenturyLink for Sounders games and yell as the "12th man" for Seahawk games. They certainly care about sports here, from what I've seen

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
They hardly support what they have now? They almost indisputably have the best fan support in MLS. MLS. They were an excellent basketball market and will be an excellent hockey market.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
I've seen it with my own eyes. I lived up there for a year with my cousin and I can tell you, they're very passionate about their teams. This is coming from a guy who is fans of many teams that are rivals with Seattle-based teams.

The former mayor of Seattle sold the team out by taking money to negate the lease with Key arena. The fans of the Sonics were not the reason they moved.
I never said that Seattle never had any passionate fans or that the fans were the reason why the Sonics moved. However, I wouldn't dare put Seattle in the same breath in other cities that do a better job at supporting their teams. Yes, the MLS team has a great following. Some would say though that such a following came as a result of the Sonics leaving town and the Mariners sucking for quite sometime as well.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I never said that Seattle never had any passionate fans or that the fans were the reason why the Sonics moved. However, I wouldn't dare put Seattle in the same breath in other cities that do a better job at supporting their teams. Yes, the MLS team has a great following. Some would say though that such a following came as a result of the Sonics leaving town and the Mariners sucking for quite sometime as well.
They strongly supported the Sonics before the Sonics left town, as well.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
These hypothetical situations and "people" continue to be weak generalizations that simply aren't true. The Sonics had a solid fan base before they ever moved. The moved due to the team being sold and the mayor of Seattle selling the team out. Which is why their attendance was low in their final year in Seattle. That had nothing to do with people not wanting to go, that had more to do with the new owner already having the team with both feet out the door.

Soccer is very popular on the west coast, not just Seattle. Portland and San Jose sell out just about every game, as well.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They hardly support what they have now? They almost indisputably have the best fan support in MLS. MLS. They were an excellent basketball market and will be an excellent hockey market.
Portland's is pretty damn good, as well.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Seattle fans get a bad rap because they don't want to pay for millionaire's toys with their tax money. That's smart fans, not bad fans.

08-07-2012, 03:40 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Seattle fans get a bad rap because they don't want to pay for millionaire's toys with their tax money. That's smart fans, not bad fans.
Same thing is going on in Sacramento.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:19 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Good luck finding someone to ride in on their high horse and painting a nice picture then.

That rarely works. At least Sacramento has a team that helps them out as a barganing chip.

The MLS??? If you ask any real soccer fan that league is garbage. The MLS is like the NHL…way down the food chain to the point of it doesn’t matter in the big scale grand scheme of things when it comes to a judging point on pro sports.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

As a Seattle METRO AREA resident, I am currently watching the local news

Talking about how a Seattle traffic report may impact UPCOMING arenas

Old
08-07-2012, 09:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Good luck finding someone to ride in on their high horse and painting a nice picture then.

That rarely works. At least Sacramento has a team that helps them out as a barganing chip.

The MLS??? If you ask any real soccer fan that league is garbage. The MLS is like the NHL…way down the food chain to the point of it doesn’t matter in the big scale grand scheme of things when it comes to a judging point on pro sports.
I'd say people who spend their time and energy on an inferior soccer product qualify as 'real soccer fans.' No different than devoted fans of minor league hockey.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
They can have New Orleans.
Can Pittsburgh have them instead?

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:58 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

This hasnt been pointed out but if anything the NBA needs contraction before expansions or relocations.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:15 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
The quality of MLS (no definite article - you wouldn't say, "the Major League Soccer" or "the Major League Baseball") has been discussed and debated for years, and the "real soccer fans" you reference probably couldn't spell "Eredivisie" if you spotted them all of the vowels, but that's completely missing the point.

The argument was that Seattle doesn't support the teams it has now. The Sounders, regardless of the relative quality of the league, are extremely well supported and serve as a counterexample to that argument. They put 64,000 people in the stadium last year for the season finale with San Jose:

They also pack way more than the 4,500 seating capacity into Starfire for US Open Cup matches, and the folks that do show up tend to be from supporters' groups and create a very rowdy atmosphere.

As for the other teams in Seattle, just six teams have averaged capacity or better in the NFL since 2007, and Seattle is one of those (67,397, or 100.6%). Hell, I even have to take back what I said about the Mariners, because since the start of the '01 season, they've averaged 32,386, which is 10th in the Majors over that span, ahead of cities larger than Seattle such as Dallas, Phoenix, and Atlanta.

Seattle is the principal city of the Northwestern United States, and it makes absolutely no sense for them not to have a representative in the NBA. (Or, for that matter, the NHL, although there is a whole other forum for that discussion.) Hopefully this business with the Port will all get sorted out soon so the Sonics can return while we're still young.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:51 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
This hasnt been pointed out but if anything the NBA needs contraction before expansions or relocations.
That's never going to happen, so it's an irrelevant discussion.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:16 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Just a reminder to the guys bringing up New Orleans.... they're not moving so long as the Saints owner has them.

Plus, even on the off chance he did want to tick off his own fanbase by moving a team while still keeping a team in that market, you do need to remember that NFL rules stipulate that an owner of an NFL club cannot own a team in a different major professional sport in market currently inhabited by another NFL team. If he wanted to move them to Vegas or Louisville, then it'd be possible, I suppose, but he couldn't move them to Seattle because of the Seahawks.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 06:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Those posts were before that was done.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:40 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Those posts were before that was done.
Ah, I really should look a few inches to the left at the time stamps a bit more often....

Old
08-09-2012, 06:01 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
That's never going to happen, so it's an irrelevant discussion.
and they wonder why the product blows. These super teams being assembled should show that contraction is necessary. Not enough talent. Only league where talent wins.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
invictus

What would be the ideal size? 24 teams and not allow anyone in until they are 3 years past high school or something like that? It'd make for a great college game and solid rosters through most of the NBA, no?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:35 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
What would be the ideal size? 24 teams and not allow anyone in until they are 3 years past high school or something like that? It'd make for a great college game and solid rosters through most of the NBA, no?
20 teams.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:45 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Even if the NBA had 20 teams, there'd still likely be ten habitual have-not franchises.....

Old
08-10-2012, 05:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
and they wonder why the product blows. These super teams being assembled should show that contraction is necessary. Not enough talent. Only league where talent wins.
And Donald Sterling has made plenty of money staying out of the way, of everyone.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:31 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
I'm not going to get into this who is more deserving crap, especially since Seattle itself is not a city filled with hardcore fans of their sports teams. It can be argued that at best the city can support 1 more team maybe 2. The Sonics are no problem, but an NHL team could go either way. If an NHL team does go there, it will be based on the help of those in British Columbia to give up supporting who they follow right now and willing to spend money on a team in Washington that would be cheaper than what they would see the Rodgers Centre.
Seattle would do a much better job supporting 4 franchises than the greater Phoenix area ever could. Not to mention it's wealthier and has weathered the recession quite satisfactorily when compared to Phoenix.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:08 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/seattle...185121335.html

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote