HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Uncle Stan spoke with Torts

Old
08-08-2012, 06:42 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Uncle Stan spoke with Torts

This is becoming an annual event. Stan Fischler spoke to John Tortorella about the state of the team.

Quote:
John's boss Glen Sather wasted no time replacing Prust's physicality and penalty-killing ability by adding muscle in Arron Asham and Micheal Haley along with the PK prowess of Jeff Halpern. The coach also expects Michael Rupp to be improved if for no other reason than he'll (hopefully) be healthy.

"Rupp will have a much better year. He needs to be on the ice for nine, ten, eleven minutes a game and I've got to find him that playing time."
http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischl...ve-a-chat.html

A few days ago,Rupp told Jim Cerny the knee injury ruined his season. Rupp got hurt in training camp and then had knee surgery. He was playing catch up all year.

Quote:
"When you get hurt late in a season, you just grind it out, you can deal with it," explained Rupp. "But when you get hurt in pre-season and then have surgery, and try and get back as soon as you can, you just aren't right the entire year. I love to practice and I love to play games and there were times where it hurt so much it was not easy at all to get out there. It's like Man, how am I going to get through today? And that's no fun at all."
Quote:
"I am taking this summer as a time to go and get healthy," said Rupp, who signed as a free agent on July 1st of 2011. "The biggest thing was to get my knee to settle down, which meant not doing anything for quite a while. It feels good now and I'm building up the strength in my muscles around the knee. I feel like it's all in the past now, and I am just excited moving forward, especially with the team we have now."
http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/1...e-was-a-battle

Rupp had 4 goals in 60 games. 2 of them in the Winter Classic. Rupp had 22 goals in his 2 seasons with Pittsburgh. Rupp missed just 2 games in Pittsburgh. It would be nice if Rupp is healthy and can pop in 10 goals this season. He needs to have a better season with a $1.5M cap hit.

Torts also discussed what the Rangers didn't give up for Rick Nash

Quote:
Fortunately none of those "somethings" included artistic assets such as Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider, Carl Hagelin, Ryan McDonagh and Michael Del Zotto. Each of the quintet was sought as part of the Columbus-New York exchange but Sather refused to budge when it came to capitulating.

"Glen did a terrific job keeping our youthful foundation intact," Torts enthused. "We didn't want to dismantle the good things we built and we didn't."
Those players will be up for new contracts within the next 2 seasons. DZ is up for a new contract right now.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 07:45 AM
NYR Viper

I really think Rupp can get back to 10 goals. He and Asham have solidified chemistry from playing together before and he should be healthy. He was playing on one leg pretty much all season.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Was Rupp really someone we couldn't do without if it meant him not going through that? It's really assinine when you take into consideration that we went without players of the caliber of Staal and Sauer for the year.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:10 AM
NYR Viper

Rupp stated earlier in the season the he is not a fan of waiting the entire time when recovering from an injury. He believed that if you could play and help the team you should be out there. Without him, the team lacked a heavyweight and a presence both in the locker room and on the bench. I think it was more him pushing himself because he wanted to help the team. Gotta love guys who will do whatever it takes to win. I still like the signing.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:10 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Rupp is certainly a much better player than the one we saw last season. It'd be nice if he could give us better minutes, and I have faith that that will happen. He should be able to move around a bit better, which should help him on the forecheck. Hopefully he and Asham can really pin teams in for a few shifts a game.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:28 PM
CM PUNK

a healthy rupp would be a huge plus to the quality of our bottom 6

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

sound like rupper is just all kinds of full of excuses!!!!!

really though. nice to think he may come back and be able to skate a little better next season and hopefully net a few more. that's something we could use in the bottom. definitely not something i considered with him

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
sound like rupper is just all kinds of full of excuses!!!!!
Lmao don't get everyone started on this again

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

How many washed up/injured goons has Sather signed or traded for over his NYR tenure?

Hopefully Asham still has some left in the tank at 34.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:47 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Rupp is what he is.

A guy that scores between 5-10 goals a year, more often than not, closer to 5.

he's a solid player in his own zone, but his skating limits his ability to be a better defensive player.

He's a guy that can and will fight heavyweights, he may not always do well against them, but he will keep teams honest as we all saw in the Florida game last season.

He's a very replaceable player. BUT, solid for the role he plays on this Rangers team.

a realistic expectation for him is 10 points, let alone 10 goals. as the only time he has scored more than 10 points is playing for a very good offensive Penguins team 2 and three seasons ago.

I have no delusions of 10 goals from Rupp. I would like 10 points, 100-150pm's, a + instead of a - and a full (72+ games) season from him.

We get that from Rupp, and I will be a happy camper. We get more than that and we should count ourselves very very fortunate.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Ail
k.

Still not sold on any of the bottom-6 guys they signed this offseason outside of maybe Halpern. Rupp is still mostly forgiven for his tenure here since he basically won them the WC, which is a bigger deal to me living in PA.

08-09-2012, 07:55 AM
NYR Viper

I think Rupp can put up 15 points pretty easily IF he can stay healthy. 10 goals may be a stretch but 15 points is reasonable.

I am just hoping Haley can come into camp and win a spot because he really adds quite a bit of toughness to this team.

BN - I am thinking the Asham signing will not be a good one but the good news is, he was signed to less of a contract than Aaron Voros! Winning!

Old
08-09-2012, 09:50 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I am just hoping Haley can come into camp and win a spot because he really adds quite a bit of toughness to this team.
I think that Haley will surprise. I said during the playoffs that the oneglaring thing to me about the team was the utter lack of a mean streak. I think that Haley and Asham address that.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:08 AM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Unless the forwards on this team get hit by the plauge Mike Rupp isn't getting 9 minutes of ice time.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:00 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

a healthy Rupp will be big in big games...*Jagr Salute*

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:02 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Unless the forwards on this team get hit by the plauge Mike Rupp isn't getting 9 minutes of ice time.
He will...3 min a period...6, 30 sec shifts a period....i can see that

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:57 PM
In Disgust

Seems like losing Feds might actually be the biggest blow. A Proven playoff stud, great on the PK, good for 20+points, decent skater/speed, heart above all else and adherence to Torts style.

So what's our PK then?

In Disgust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:36 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Disgust View Post
Seems like losing Feds might actually be the biggest blow. A Proven playoff stud, great on the PK, good for 20+points, decent skater/speed, heart above all else and adherence to Torts style.

So what's our PK then?
I think Nash will surprise on the PK, he thrived in that role when used on it in Columbus.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Carl Hagelin will be part of the PK. Dubinsky was marginalized last season. He lost his PK time in February. Nash is a threat on the PK. Boyle,Callahan and Stepan were staples on the PK last season. Halpern can be used on the PK. Kreider was on the PK at BC. He had 3 SHGs last season. 5 shorthanded points.

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...s12.php?bc_m10

I read a blog post the internets last week complaining the Rangers PK losing Dubinsky,AA,Prust and Fedotenko. There are 4 players on the team-Callahan,Boyle,Stepan and Hagelin-who were used on the PK last season. There are 3 other players who has been on the PK in Nash,Halpern and Kreider. That's 7 players. Torts rotates three sets of forwards. Sometimes two sets. Mostly 3 sets.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Part II of Stan and Torts. http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischl...--part-ii.html

Old
08-28-2012, 11:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts is looking forward to Kreids and Hags in the lineup. Speed. Skys the limit for McD. Wants DZ to have another good year. More consistent. Wants more consistency from Stepan. Looking forward to working with Kreider.