*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2012, 11:22 PM
NHL Fanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
I love your optimism...but he was only not bad due to his positioning...he is an extremely smart player...his skating really stood out here and he looked like he had regressed form the 70 times I saw him last season...first pass also didnt seem to have the jam it normally does either.

I am worried because he has always dominated being the bigger stronger kid...now that he isn't....he stood out in the wrong ways...he was beat way too many times for my liking one on one.
I heard he hurt his foot before the camp. He could still be suffering ill effects. Ekblad is not the one to use excuses, he wouldn't admit to an injury even if it he was. The kid is pure class.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:58 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I love your optimism...but he was only not bad due to his positioning...he is an extremely smart player...his skating really stood out here and he looked like he had regressed form the 70 times I saw him last season...first pass also didnt seem to have the jam it normally does either.

I am worried because he has always dominated being the bigger stronger kid...now that he isn't....he stood out in the wrong ways...he was beat way too many times for my liking one on one.
It was his first full OHL season this past year, he looks tired and I dont blame him. He would have been the only 96 player there. Team Canada usually picks the older players when it comes to Junior. In the World Junior's guys like Tyler Seguin 17, at the time was cut, 5 months later he goes #2 in the NHL draft. Talent wasnt an issue there. Im sure they expected him to be the main guy the following year but after he made the Bruins out of camp he never played there. Taylor Hall was cut the previous year in 2009. I believe Stamkos was also cut in 2007 also 17 at the time. I wouldnt worry about Ekblad, he will be even better this year.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Pony

Here's my stab at the lines for this season being that Pearson plays in the AHL, Scheifele returns and Niederberger, O'Connor and Beyers are the OAs. Would rather keep Buonomo, but he's easier to deal because O'Connor's education package.

Line 1
LW- Anthony Camara C- Mark Scheifele RW- Steven Beyers
DEF- Alex Lepkowski, Aaron Ekblad

Line 2
LW- Joshua MacDonald C- Zach Hall RW- Ray Huether/Erik Bradford
DEF- Ryan O'Connor, Alex Yuill
If the Colts don't get Pearson back, they should look to acquire a veteran winger who can slide into top six who can provide some grit with good hands to play on the second line. Huether needs to have a big camp and prove he can score in major junior as well as he does in Tier II.

Line 3 (checking/energy line)
LW- Brendan Bell C- Dylan Corson RW-Markkula
DEF - Jonathan Laser, Fatovic

Line 4-
LW- Brendan Perlini C- Justin Scott RW- Cash Seraphim
DEF - CJ Garcia, Norm Ezekiel (Dale fudges his birth certificate because he loves him so much)
Markulla could move down to this line if Bradford or Huether goes down from second line. If Seraphim's skating has improved enough, his size and hands could be a nice fit on this all rookie line.

Goalie- Mathias Niederberger, Alex Fotinos
Fotinos could really push Niederberger here and prove he can handle No. 1 duties. I could see Colts moving Niederberger and bringing up MacKenzie Blackwood to back up. Blackwood has looked really good and I understand even opposing team scouts raved about him at last year's OHL Cup.

Too bad, but Lemieux if playing State side with Green Bay. Shore is going NCAA route which is too bad because he'd be a huge point producer for Barrie this season. This team lucks out and gets both Scheifele and Pearson and they are all in. Likely only Scheifele is back so they need to pick up another veteran winger who can score. Sutch and Buonomo will be moved, which is too bad. Sutch was a physical force late in season before getting hurt and Buonomo was one of team's top Defenceman and provides that grit and leadership. Still, he's easier to move because of O'Connor's big education package.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Here's my stab at the lines for this season being that Pearson plays in the AHL, Scheifele returns and Niederberger, O'Connor and Beyers are the OAs. Would rather keep Buonomo, but he's easier to deal because O'Connor's education package.

Line 1

Line 2
If the Colts don't get Pearson back, they should look to acquire a veteran winger who can slide into top six who can provide some grit with good hands to play on the second line. Huether needs to have a big camp and prove he can score in major junior as well as he does in Tier II.

Line 4-
DEF - CJ Garcia, Norm Ezekiel (Dale fudges his birth certificate because he loves him so much)
Markulla could move down to this line if Bradford or Huether goes down from second line. If Seraphim's skating has improved enough, his size and hands could be a nice fit on this all rookie line.

Fotinos could really push Niederberger here and prove he can handle No. 1 duties. I could see Colts moving Niederberger and bringing up MacKenzie Blackwood to back up. Blackwood has looked really good and I understand even opposing team scouts raved about him at last year's OHL Cup.

Too bad, but Lemieux if playing State side with Green Bay. Shore is going NCAA route which is too bad because he'd be a huge point producer for Barrie this season. This team lucks out and gets both Scheifele and Pearson and they are all in. Likely only Scheifele is back so they need to pick up another veteran winger who can score. Sutch and Buonomo will be moved, which is too bad. Sutch was a physical force late in season before getting hurt and Buonomo was one of team's top Defenceman and provides that grit and leadership. Still, he's easier to move because of O'Connor's big education package.
Smoskowitz is a better player than Corson or Scott.

Old
08-09-2012, 10:29 AM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Cant say much about Corson, but Scott really impressed me at the colts rookie camp. That said if Smoskowitz can return to his 20 goal season that would be nice and then I would agree.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Cant say much about Corson, but Scott really impressed me at the colts rookie camp. That said if Smoskowitz can return to his 20 goal season that would be nice and then I would agree.
The kid was obviously in a bad funk early last year, I think Dale should have given him a longer piece of rope. From before X-mas he was a 4th liner or worse. We saw the year before what he could do. Players like Bradford, Bell and MacDonald were given the minutes and more than what Smoskowitz got in his rookie year and didn't even come close to his numbers.

Old
08-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Pony

Quote:
I would love to see Smosk return to the form he showed in his rookie year, but he really struggled last season. Hopefully a fresh start in camp will get him back on track, but I believe he really has to have a good camp here or I could see the Colts going with a younger player.

Old
08-12-2012, 01:00 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Smoskowitz is a different player than Corson or Scott and that's the problem. What is Dale looking for out of him? Cause Smoskowitz is not a grinder type of player and I think he has to come out of the gates hard and regain some of that confidence and thus earn some more ice with which to succeed in Barrie this year.

Old
08-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post

Line 1

Line 2

Line 4-

Just wondering what makes you put put Fatovic on defense ahead of other 96 draftees chosen ahead of him like Carrick or Wammes, or any 95 picks like Forslund, McGhee or Webster?

Also, any news on whether Garcia has signed yet?

Thanks.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:44 AM
behind the d

Watching the Fatovic kid on Sunday nights and he is a great surprise for an 11th round pick,,, Hits,,,Great shot... and see's the ice well...very surprised he wasnt taken in an earlier round.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Just wondering what makes you put put Fatovic on defense ahead of other 96 draftees chosen ahead of him like Carrick or Wammes, or any 95 picks like Forslund, McGhee or Webster?

Also, any news on whether Garcia has signed yet?

Thanks.
The Colts have lovedddd Fatovic's game and I think he is ahead of most ont he depth charts...

C.J. Garcia may be joining Lemieux from what I hear...

Old
08-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
The Colts have lovedddd Fatovic's game and I think he is ahead of most ont he depth charts...

So Garcia leaning US college route I guess?

Old
08-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
So Garcia leaning US college route I guess?
It's more of an option now than it was in April, oddly enough.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:08 PM
coltsfan3035

Racer any news on the OA front? Still log jammed, also any news if Scheif will be back?

Old
08-14-2012, 10:05 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan3035 View Post
Racer any news on the OA front? Still log jammed, also any news if Scheif will be back?
Schiefele really wheeling at Russia/Canada Challenge!

Old
08-14-2012, 10:42 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
Schiefele really wheeling at Russia/Canada Challenge!
From what I've noticed he has added a lot of strength/grit too his game.. If he doesn't make Winnipeg and brings that style back to the O.. He will be a phenom.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

OA's will be a decision made at camp....Sutch may be gone just before but that rumour has been around all summer....

Scheif is interesting....he still isnt strong enough on the puck down low. He lost wuite a few puck battles. Then you have his pla on the hafl wall and cycle. it has improved dramatically...

He has gianed size and not lost a step...but the last issue that I have that may hold him back is his balance...he still seems to be too easy of a knock over...

I hope he makes the team...I love watching scheif play hockey and he is an NHL er. I think another year of junior is still what he needs....

Old
08-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Johnsb

This wouldn't be the first time a player has said this to get a deal done.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:10 AM
behind the d

He must be asking for a lot not to be signed by now,, But i am sure Garcia and Lemieux will be at the main camp.

Old
08-16-2012, 07:47 PM
FargoForceFan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
C.J. Garcia may be joining Lemieux from what I hear....
Does Garcia have duel papers?

Old
08-18-2012, 06:52 PM
LeafsColts13

C.J Garcia signed.

Old
08-19-2012, 02:06 AM
behind the d

With who???

Old
08-19-2012, 07:48 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by behind the d View Post
With who???
Colts.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:27 AM
LeafsColts13

Anybody know when the colts training camp opens?

Old
08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post

This wouldn't be the first time a player has said this to get a deal done.
Moving forward the best thing for Lemieux in my opinion is strict/strong leadership from his team-mates and his coaches. I believe his maturing/attitude is huge to his success moving forward. I think any kid with NHL dreams needs the OHL for its schedule length , systems, talent level, etc. To me going the NCAA route is a backward or lateral step if your goal is NHL.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 08-19-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Closed Thread