HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eastern Conference Power Rankings Position #5

View Poll Results: Which team will you rank as the 5th best team in the East?
Carolina Hurricanes 77 54.23%
Philadelphia Flyers 56 39.44%
Pittsburgh Penguins 3 2.11%
Boston Bruins 4 2.82%
New York Rangers 2 1.41%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-09-2012, 11:10 AM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Flyers offense overachieving? They've had this level of offense since they last missed the playoffs.

Guys, you're getting way too hung up on the rankings. Look at the "winning" percentages. Between 20 and 40%; hardly a majority decision.

The Southeast is back to being the least horrible team takes the division. They're trading off on the Division winner annually again.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:13 AM
JaeTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
So, let me get this straight: There are people that believe Carolina is better than a team that is bringing back almost all of their pieces from last season, has many young, talented forwards, and decent blueline, and a goalie who can be very good?

Carolina finished 12th in the East last season and people think they will jump to a team that will win it's division as well as finish with 4th most points in the East? I really want to hear the mindset of people here on Carolina. That to me is the biggest thing here. No team makes a jump like Carolina is going to make, and I'm not talking about standings position. I'm referring to lottery selection to a team that can compete for the Cup?

Not happening. Carolina should have been gone 4 selections ago.

And we went from 8th(barely making the 8 spot too) all the way to 1st in the Conference, 2nd in the league. It's definitely not as far of a stretch as you seem to think. Teams surprise everyone every year on how well they play.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Giacomin

Flyers. They will never win anything with the goaltending they have!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Lundsanity30

Philly is better than Carolina because they will still score a ridiculous amount of goals and have over 100pts again. Their offense alone makes them better than Carolina.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Flyers offense overachieving? They've had this level of offense since they last missed the playoffs.

Guys, you're getting way too hung up on the rankings. Look at the "winning" percentages. Between 20 and 40%; hardly a majority decision.

The Southeast is back to being the least horrible team takes the division. They're trading off on the Division winner annually again.
Maybe. But I think the goals lost from jagr combined with simmonds coming back to earth... I'm not saying they will have a bad offense, just not as good as last years.

But regardless, you made my point for me. They have had a strong offense even when they missed the playoffs. A strong offense wont get you far. It's strong defense and/or goaltending that wins you games. The flyers have neither. They will struggle to make the playoffs.

08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its funny that Carolina is winning this poll...considering its impossible for them to be #5 in this configuration.

Four of the Southeast teams are set.

That means Carolina wins the division and can't finish lower then #3.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:08 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

It's power rankings not standings.

08-09-2012, 12:45 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Maybe. But I think the goals lost from jagr combined with simmonds coming back to earth... I'm not saying they will have a bad offense, just not as good as last years.

But regardless, you made my point for me. They have had a strong offense even when they missed the playoffs. A strong offense wont get you far. It's strong defense and/or goaltending that wins you games. The flyers have neither. They will struggle to make the playoffs.
If you think missing the playoffs once in 6 seasons makes your point. No matter who they line up as a top 9 forward, they are pretty much a lock for 20 goals.

Weak D and goalie last year got them 5th, I just don't see how Bryzgalov plays worse. Grossman was solid for them after the trade. Translate the power ranking into standings, and the Flyers are right back in 5th place with the SE winner going to 3rd.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:16 PM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
Flyers. They will never win anything with the goaltending they have!
This says it all.

Hoping to see B's/Rangers in the ECF this year.

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:28 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Toss up between Carolina and Philly, went with Carolina because Philly is still crazy stacked offensively to be a top 4 team even with their defensive issues.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Its funny that Carolina is winning this poll...considering its impossible for them to be #5 in this configuration.

Four of the Southeast teams are set.

That means Carolina wins the division and can't finish lower then #3.

for the 9 millionth time, this is power rankings, not playoff standings. i include the playoff standings just so ppl could see how everything shakes out.

not targetting you SSM, but ive had to address this in like every post.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

flyers. division is too hard for them to compete with their defense. bryz would have to be vezina material all season. i don't see carolina underperforming them-- especially with the flyers in our(and pitt's) division... though i guess the devils sucking may help them.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:10 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
I don't see how Carolina finishes behind Philly. I sense a big year coming from the Canes.

08-09-2012, 03:09 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I don't see how Carolina finishes behind Philly. I sense a big year coming from the Canes.
Seems like a lot of people do. I just don't see it with their defense.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

This whole power ranking now angers me

The consensus is nothing like what anyone had in mind.

Oh well, Decided to go with PHI. Teams switch around in power rankings through moves like the ones CAR made and the loses that PHI suffered. There's nothing wrong with believing change in a team and gaining success from mere additions of talent as much as everyone is resistant to it.

let's face it, with our D core, everyone else's D looks bad.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:12 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
I don't mean to lurk or anything, but you're pretty off base here.

Under Maurice, the Canes went 8-13-4, but under Muller we went 25-20-12. That's an 89 point pace which would have been good for 9th in the conference. If you give Muller a five game grace period to implement his system (we went 1-4 in his first five), then our record under him goes to 24-15-12, which is a 96 point pace, good enough to win the Southeast.

This is taking into consideration that the Canes were without their best defenseman in Joni Pitkanen for almost the entire season; Eric Staal had his worst year since his rookie year; Jussi Jokinen and Tuomo Ruutu had their worst year as Canes, and Skinner was hampered by a concussion for much of the year. You can't really expect everything to go as horribly wrong as it did last year. It's pretty reasonable to expect that all of our main guys up front will have at least decent bounce back years.

Adding Jordan Staal and Alex Semin to a team that was on pace to be well in contention for a playoff spot under Muller, and even win the division if you do excuse his first five games, it's really not unrealistic at all to expect a division title.
And if Washington didn't have Ovechkin playing with his head up his ass in the first half of the season, their goaltending disappointing until Holtby came up, and Backstrom being out for half a season with a concussion, I think they would have done better as well. You cannot neglect those things. There is a reason the season is 82 games. You do not negate part of a season and say "Look, if we didn't play like ass this part of the season, we would have made the playoffs!"

Well, they did play like ass, and to me, the Southeast is much improved this season. Florida will still be good. They are adding more skill. Huberdeau has a good shot to be an excellent player for them. Markstrom showed in his limited games last season to be very promising. Holtby for a whole season with Nuevirth being there if he slips. Ribiero being added from Dallas. Tampa going younger in net and giving guys like Lindback and Co. a chance to be #1's. Winnipeg's youth improving and added Jokinen, who when not playing for the Rangers is a good player.

Also, it is easier to play when you are that far down in the standings. Zero expectations at that point in time. Florida is different. They had nearly 75% roster overhaul and added a ton of players in free agency. They made so many moves last offseason. I think Carolina could contend for the playoffs, but for the division? Not until they prove to me in the first 20 or so games they can play well with some expectations.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:18 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I'm assuming Carolina moves into the 3 spot and we redo the 5th spot.

Also disagree with the devils making the playoffs.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Voted Philly. No D and Bryz has looked just awful.

The Canes poster was right, and that's why they're next.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Krams
what a time

I'm assuming if Carolina wins this poll they're going to automatically be put into the 3rd spot anyway.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:04 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Logically, this is where the Canes belong, but for some reason I just don't have faith in them actually being this good. Just a gut feeling. They'll find a way to grab the 7th or 8th seed.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Formerly CMP

Quote:
Well, they did play like ass
....Under a different coach. How we played under Maurice is completely irrelevant because now the team plays an entirely different system.

Muller is the coach this year, not Maurice. Therefore, if you're going to try to predict how they do this year, looking at the sample under Muller would make much more sense than looking at the entire season.

I'm not saying we're a better team than anyone left, Philly is the only one that we even have a chance of being better than, but saying we won't compete for the division is pretty ridiculous.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:26 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
And if Washington didn't have Ovechkin playing with his head up his ass in the first half of the season, their goaltending disappointing until Holtby came up, and Backstrom being out for half a season with a concussion, I think they would have done better as well. You cannot neglect those things. There is a reason the season is 82 games. You do not negate part of a season and say "Look, if we didn't play like ass this part of the season, we would have made the playoffs!"

Well, they did play like ass, and to me, the Southeast is much improved this season. Florida will still be good. They are adding more skill. Huberdeau has a good shot to be an excellent player for them. Markstrom showed in his limited games last season to be very promising. Holtby for a whole season with Nuevirth being there if he slips. Ribiero being added from Dallas. Tampa going younger in net and giving guys like Lindback and Co. a chance to be #1's. Winnipeg's youth improving and added Jokinen, who when not playing for the Rangers is a good player.

Also, it is easier to play when you are that far down in the standings. Zero expectations at that point in time. Florida is different. They had nearly 75% roster overhaul and added a ton of players in free agency. They made so many moves last offseason. I think Carolina could contend for the playoffs, but for the division? Not until they prove to me in the first 20 or so games they can play well with some expectations.
Looking at Carolina's roster, I don't see many weak spots. They're going to have a top 6 of Jokinen, Ruutu, Semin, Staal, Staal, and Skinner which is pretty damn good. Tlusty and LaRose are both solid 3rd line wingers. Their weak spots up front look to be the 4th line and possibly 3rd line center which is much better than having your issues in the top 6. People bash their defense but I really don't see it as being bad. Pitkanen, McBain, Gleason, and Faulk are all solid top 4 guys. I know a lot of people aren't a fan of Corvo but he will be playing third pair minutes and provides offense. Their D sets up as Pitkanen - McBain, Harrison - Faulk, Gleason - Corvo. I really don't think that is bad at all. And than there's Cam Ward in goal who's good year in and year out.

To me, Carolina doesn't have a lot of glaring weaknesses. They played a lot better under Muller and went out and acquired two top 6 players in Semin and Staal while only losing a 3rd line center (albeit a damn good one) in Sutter. Washington has a lot more question marks looking at their roster. Obviously Ovechkin waking up could give them all they need but they've lost firepower upfront, their defense lacks on the bottom pairings, and Green is always injured. Who knows how the team will lay under Oates as well. Personally, I have Washington/Carolina as a toss up for the division but Carolina is much improved and has a lot less question marks than the Caps do.

08-09-2012, 04:30 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
I'm assuming if Carolina wins this poll they're going to automatically be put into the 3rd spot anyway.
Yup. This is strictly ranking teams 1-15, not by playoff standings. If Carolina wins this then they get placed into 3rd.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Yup. This is strictly ranking teams 1-15, not by playoff standings. If Carolina wins this then they get placed into 3rd.
they would be ranked 5th in conference standings, 3rd in playoff rankings, and first in division rankings. i give everyone everything

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

My mistake. I should have paid more attention.

The playoff format is deceiving.

Still think Carolina is too low. Devils are too high.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote