HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports III

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 500
Yeah. He needs to be average in the batter's box, and that's more than anything they need.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:21 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Why do I have a fear that that Nats are pulling a year like the Caps president trophy one and will go out early in the MLB playoffs

08-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
dropping by to say wahooooo! Go Gio!

Old
08-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
He's not up for his defense. And it'll be better than Reynolds'.
He hasn't been lighting up Double-A. Yes he's on a hot streak of late, but he's been up and down for the year. Considering he's played 2 games - 2 - at 3rd, I don't know how you can assume he'll be better than Reynolds.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Why do I have a fear that that Nats are pulling a year like the Caps president trophy one and will go out early in the MLB playoffs
I'm hoping it's a completely different situation, unlike the Caps, the Nationals are filled with guys who are young and hungry and want to win. Many have been through the awful seasons. I can't see this team laying down in the playoffs. Even if one or two guys do, there are too many other players who can pick up the slack.

And bottom line, with the Nats pitching, they're going to be a very tough out in the playoffs no matter what happens.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:09 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Yeah, but if they win their division, that's like starting in the 2nd round from the get-go...

Old
08-09-2012, 10:36 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
He hasn't been lighting up Double-A. Yes he's on a hot streak of late, but he's been up and down for the year. Considering he's played 2 games - 2 - at 3rd, I don't know how you can assume he'll be better than Reynolds.
Have you seen Reynolds play third? I think I could play better than him at the position.

Machado has been lighting up AA in his last 100 or so ABs.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Have you seen Reynolds play third? I think I could play better than him at the position.

Machado has been lighting up AA in his last 100 or so ABs.
Reynolds oddly enough plays a good 1st base and Betemit has been relegated to 3rd, not that he's been any better. Again Machado has committed 23 errors and with two games at 3rd he's a committed an error, I won't assume he'd immediately be an upgrade at almost a foreign position.

Machado has been lighting it up of late, but he has had an up and down year. Batting .266 for the year is hardly lighting it up and he's had prolonged slumps over the course of the year.

I hope Machado comes in and has a Trout-like effect, but I just don't think it's necessary to bring him up now.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:08 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Reynolds oddly enough plays a good 1st base and Betemit has been relegated to 3rd, not that he's been any better. Again Machado has committed 23 errors and with two games at 3rd he's a committed an error, I won't assume he'd immediately be an upgrade at almost a foreign position.

Machado has been lighting it up of late, but he has had an up and down year. Batting .266 for the year is hardly lighting it up and he's had prolonged slumps over the course of the year.

I hope Machado comes in and has a Trout-like effect, but I just don't think it's necessary to bring him up now.
Apparently Machado has been "constantly' working at 3rd in Bowie. And you're reading WAY too much into errors and batting average.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:18 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Machado at 3rd against lefties, Betimit as DH.

Betemit at 3rd against righties, Davis as DH.

Reynolds has been outstanding at first...and his bat is starting to heat up.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I don't know if I'd call Reynolds outstanding at 1st, but he's certainly a whole lot better than he is at 3rd.

I'm skeptical about brining Machado up, hoping for the best.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Apparently Machado has been "constantly' working at 3rd in Bowie. And you're reading WAY too much into errors and batting average.
I don't think your considering the two enough. 23 errors is ALOT with two months to go, regardless of the level. A .266 average is decent and his average is only where it is because of a recent 10 game surge. "Working" at 3rd isn't the same as playing there, again he has a grand total of two games at 3rd. The only saving grace for me is that he'll make his debut against the Royals.

@Reynolds - He's been pretty good at 1st, not outstanding, but better than Davis.

Old
08-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Cleveland set to release Damon today. He's been garbage this season (and shown by the fact the Indians are releasing him), but he's always murdered the O's, particularly in Camden Yards. Wonder if playing in Camden could provide him a spark and give the O's somebody who could get on base.

Old
08-09-2012, 04:10 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I don't think your considering the two enough. 23 errors is ALOT with two months to go, regardless of the level. A .266 average is decent and his average is only where it is because of a recent 10 game surge. "Working" at 3rd isn't the same as playing there, again he has a grand total of two games at 3rd. The only saving grace for me is that he'll make his debut against the Royals.

@Reynolds - He's been pretty good at 1st, not outstanding, but better than Davis.
Batting average is pretty much a worthless statistic. On the errors: Starlin Castro and Elvis Andrus are generally considered good defenders at SS on the major league level. Castro has 22 so far this year. Andrus had 25 last season. Jurickson Profar, who's generally considered on of the two best SS prospects in baseball with Machado, has 19 errors so far this year.

Again, you're making way to big of a deal about both stats.

Old
08-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Riot

So I know the plan as of now is to shut down Strasburg pretty soon. What I had always assumed that meant was that Stras would be shut down for the remainder of the regular season, but would be reinserted into the rotation when/if we make the playoffs. When I was listening to 106.7 today, however, Chad Dukes said something along the lines of "if this team were to lose a 7-game series with Strasburg sitting on the bench healhty...", as though it were a fact that Strasburg won't see a postseason start. I had never even considered the possibility that Strasburg wouldn't be pitching in the playoffs should we get there. Does anyone know if that is really the plan, that Strasburg will not be pitching again this year after he's shut down, postseason or not, or was Dukes talking out of his ass?

Personally, I would think it inexcusable to sit a healthy Strasburg with this team having a real shot at making a deep run in the postseason. If the only excuse for not playing him is "well, he might get hurt" then I don't think that cuts it. You can't count on the Nats of next season or any season beyond playing as well as they have this year and a chance at a World Series title is the kind of thing that may well only happen once in a player's career. I don't think the argument can be made for leaving a guy who is arguably the best starting pitcher in the game on the bench should this team make the playoffs.

In regard to the post above: How in the world can BA be a worthless stat? What better indicator of a guy's ability to consistently record hits is there? Sure, BA over a small sample isn't a great indicator of ability, but over the course of a season the guys who can hit are going to have good BAs (for the sake of argument let's say >.250) and the ones who can't are not going to have strong BAs (<.225). I've never heard someone argue that BA is meaningless.

Last edited by Riot: 08-09-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old
08-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

You can't just stop pitching then start again a month or two later. It doesn't work like that.

Old
08-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Riot

Sure you can. I'm sure he'll keep throwing on his off days regardless. You could give him a 3 inning start in the waning days of the season if we've got it shored up if you feel like you must.

Old
08-09-2012, 04:40 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

That's not shutting him down. What you'd end up getting is the worst of both worlds: the extra arm strain from extended work that they want to avoid, and a guy who's rusty from not keeping up a regular pace and won't be at his best.

Old
08-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Batting average is pretty much a worthless statistic. On the errors: Starlin Castro and Elvis Andrus are generally considered good defenders at SS on the major league level. Castro has 22 so far this year. Andrus had 25 last season. Jurickson Profar, who's generally considered on of the two best SS prospects in baseball with Machado, has 19 errors so far this year.

Again, you're making way to big of a deal about both stats.
So according to you how should Machado be evaluated? A recent hot streak in Double-A is an indicator that he's ready for the show? Literally like a month ago he wasn't looking to good.

I mean if you want disregard batting average and errors, that leaves the fact that he's played two games at 3rd. It's asking alot for him to be put in that spot.

Old
08-09-2012, 05:59 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
So according to you how should Machado be evaluated? A recent hot streak in Double-A is an indicator that he's ready for the show? Literally like a month ago he wasn't looking to good.

I mean if you want disregard batting average and errors, that leaves the fact that he's played two games at 3rd. It's asking alot for him to be put in that spot.
Once again, batting average is a relatively useless stat. The kid's got a .790 OPS in AA at age 19. There is one qualifying shortstop in the Major Leagues with an OPS > than .790.

A great pull from another board on errors:

Quote:
ARod, 25 errors between three levels in '94, then 10 more in 51 games at AAA in '95. Edgar Renteria made at least 23 errors in each of his four full minor league seasons before debuting at 19 in the MLBs. Adrian Beltre made 79 errors in 304 minor league games before his teenage callup, including 37 in 121 games in '97. BJ Upton didn't stick at short in the long run, but he made 56, 35, and 53 errors in his age 18, 19, and 20 minor league seasons, then tacked on 28 more in a half a season at 21 for good measure.
And frankly, his promotion should only be based partly on stats. It should mostly be based on how he looks at the AA level. Whether he's showing good approach at the plate and a good feel for the strike zone; whether he's being overwhelmed by any of the pitching. And defensively, how much range he has, the strength of his throwing arm, how quickly he reads the ball of the bat.

Third base is easier defensively than shortstop if a player has the quick-twitch reflexes. There's not as much ground to cover, not as much responsibility, and more time to set up and throw.

Old
08-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Capitlols

It really comes down to two things for me. He has very limited experience at 3rd and it looked as though he was finding his groove at double-a, so why call him up? Machado is someone I would like to bring along slowly and I don't think it's even necessary to call him up right now. I really don't want him to be another promising prospect that flames out.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Beautiful piece of hitting by Manny. Triple the other way to the gap in right center for his first major league hit.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:41 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Jordan Zimmermann is just dominant right now.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Sure you can. I'm sure he'll keep throwing on his off days regardless. You could give him a 3 inning start in the waning days of the season if we've got it shored up if you feel like you must.
That's not shutting him down. When you shut a pitcher down, he stops throwing. Completely.

Quote:
It really comes down to two things for me. He has very limited experience at 3rd and it looked as though he was finding his groove at double-a, so why call him up? Machado is someone I would like to bring along slowly and I don't think it's even necessary to call him up right now. I really don't want him to be another promising prospect that flames out.
You call him up now because he's confident right now. They're hoping to cash in on his hot streak.

Old
08-10-2012, 08:54 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Beautiful piece of hitting by Manny. Triple the other way to the gap in right center for his first major league hit.
You can tell watching him play he's going to be a decent pro. Granted they lost, but I love the call up.

Closed Thread