HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What to do on Defence?

View Poll Results: Defence?
Sign UFA (Colaiacovo,Rosival, etc.) 34 29.31%
Offersheet RFA (Subban, Carlson,Del Zotto) 21 18.10%
Make a Trade 18 15.52%
Stand pat 43 37.07%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-09-2012, 10:13 AM
FlyingHigh13

vCash: 500
Hannan is like another lilja I would much rather have a younger guy play that position and give him experience to build on. The reason we never have good, young D men is because we never trust them/stunt their growth and then play guys like Zhitnik, O'Donnell, Lilja. Hannan will just be rehashing our old tendencies.

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:24 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I say stand pat and reassess 20 games in.

The CBA still isn't concluded and that could have some major affects on team; which may force moves that gives the Flyers a better opportunity to nab a Dman.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:54 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Try to trade for bogosian or offer sheet kulikov ( or both ) If it doesn't work, maybe see if you can get Bouwmeester for cheap a couple weeks into the season. By cheap I mean like Gustafsson and a 1st or something

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Barker caught my eye when I saw the UFA list on Cap Geek. Agreed that I would want it to be a tryout.
dude is terrible. If he couldn't make it on Edmonton's roster, why would anyone want him.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:09 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I say stand pat and reassess 20 games in.

The CBA still isn't concluded and that could have some major affects on team; which may force moves that gives the Flyers a better opportunity to nab a Dman.
I keep suggesting to myself that this is why Homer hasn't made a move yet. Either that or he hasn't broken loose from the chain connected to the collar around his neck preventing him from picking up the phone and trading for Yandle.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:20 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
dude is terrible. If he couldn't make it on Edmonton's roster, why would anyone want him.
He was decent a few years ago, albeit he's gone down hill in those last few years. I figure a tryout can't really hurt. If he fails, they cut him in the preseason and it's no skin off our back.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:43 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Stand pat.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I picked "Offersheet" solely because I like watching 29 fanbases rise up against Holmgren for following the CBA.

08-09-2012, 11:48 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Unless we could get a number 1 or 2 guy I say stand pat and let the kids play. Most the guys on the UFA list aren't an upgrade over MAB or Gus IMO.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:02 PM
FlyingHigh13

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Try to trade for bogosian or offer sheet kulikov ( or both ) If it doesn't work, maybe see if you can get Bouwmeester for cheap a couple weeks into the season. By cheap I mean like Gustafsson and a 1st or something
People do realize that we cant just offer sheet everyone as there are consequences, right? Shea Weber is the best Dman in the league, that is why we did it. We are not giving an offer sheet to Subban, Kulikov or whomever cause we would be either matched or forced to overpay and lose 1st round picks most likely. Plus, Holmgren would burn bridges down with other GMs. All that for Subban or Kulikov, I think not.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Broad Street Elite

I won't choose because it's some combination of all of the above.

Assumptions:
1.) Our defense is solid, but unspectacular still. We're one injury away from serious trouble, however.
2.) I believe that with the current defense and its flaws, the Philadelphia Flyers could miss the playoffs this year... and I'm ok with that.

Trades:
The Flyers shouldn't feel the need to get robbed at this point. No reason to sell the future short while the youth is in development. It's possible that we suck, get injured, etc.... that shouldn't force us to try to hurt our longterm build for a short term gain. That said, if we get a longer term solution on defense (Bogo, OEL, Kulikov, Gubranson being my favorites) for some of our young forwards, I'm ok with that more balanced approach to team building.

Free Agency:
There's not much left that could make a dramatic difference. If we sign anyone still out there, it has to be a 1 year deal for flexibility.

Offer Sheet:
Sure, fire away. This is the least likely to yield a positive result (acquiring the player), but offers the best opportunity to acquire a player for less than could be had via trade.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh13 View Post
People do realize that we cant just offer sheet everyone as there are consequences, right? Shea Weber is the best Dman in the league, that is why we did it. We are not giving an offer sheet to Subban, Kulikov or whomever cause we would be either matched or forced to overpay and lose 1st round picks most likely. Plus, Holmgren would burn bridges down with other GMs. All that for Subban or Kulikov, I think not.
Subban, Carlsson and Kulikov simply aren't going to get the top tier of offer sheets even if they were offered.

However, for example, we offered Kulikov an outrageous 6.5M AAV deal, Florida would be hard-pressed to match that and we would sacrifice a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd rounder. No way we offer even that level of compensation to any of the 3, but clearly they are all easily worth those picks.

Your last point is pretty moot as far as I'm concerned. If it improves this team (in terms of dollars/picks vs. the player) the Flyers simply won't care about whether other teams get butt-hurt. The Kesler offer sheet proves that. He was as much an unproven commodity when that offer sheet was made as any of these 3.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:15 PM
FlyingHigh13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Subban, Carlsson and Kulikov simply aren't going to get the top tier of offer sheets even if they were offered.

However, for example, we offered Kulikov an outrageous 6.5M AAV deal, Florida would be hard-pressed to match that and we would sacrifice a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd rounder. No way we offer even that level of compensation to any of the 3, but clearly they are all easily worth those picks.

Your last point is pretty moot as far as I'm concerned. If it improves this team (in terms of dollars/picks vs. the player) the Flyers simply won't care about whether other teams get butt-hurt. The Kesler offer sheet proves that. He was as much an unproven commodity when that offer sheet was made as any of these 3.
So Nashville (small market) matched Weber 24 mil in a year deal worth over 100 mil and Montreal/Florida wouldnt match 6.5 million dollar deal per year for its potentially #1 dman? Yeah, ok. These teams arent going to be bullied around, as we saw earlier with Weber. Even if they dont match (which is HIGHLY unlikely) with the combination of overpayment on talent and the picks given up, it just isnt worth it no matter how ya slice it except for a TOP, young talent e.g. Weber. Offer sheet are a once in a real long while occurance for these reasons.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
No more depth defensemen e.g. Carlo, rosival, all other UFA's, we have enough. Ride out with our the young guns (MAB/Gus/Manning) and our top 4, maybe mix in a bit of bruno and please, please no lilja. Assess our situation at the deadline and trade for a D-man if need be. That is what i think should happen but we shall see.
Cola isn't depth. He was a top pairing D for the Blues last year. I wouldn't mind him if they can snag him on a cheap 1 year deal.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
So Nashville (small market) matched Weber 24 mil in a year deal worth over 100 mil and Montreal/Florida wouldnt match 6.5 million dollar deal per year for its potentially #1 dman? Yeah, ok. These teams arent going to be bullied around, as we saw earlier with Weber. Even if they dont match (which is HIGHLY unlikely) with the combination of overpayment on talent and the picks given up, it just isnt worth it no matter how ya slice it except for a TOP, young talent e.g. Weber. Offer sheet are a once in a real long while occurance for these reasons.
As I stated in the above comments before your post... Yes, it's extremely likely they match. However, as was the case with Shea Weber, if the offer is even remotely close to reasonable dollars, we stand to lose nothing by offer sheeting. If the team matches, we lose nothing at all. If they do not, we get the player without losing from our existing pool of young assets.

As stated above.... it's the least likely to bare fruit. However, it's the best opportunity (however unlikely) to provide us with a reasonably priced asset. In terms of assets, any of the RFAs would be cheap compensation (picks, not necessarily cap hit).

If we're thinking about paying JBo 6.68M AAV, why not send an offer sheet for 6.5M for Subban and have a shot at getting a similarly valuable defenseman for less than JBo would cost?

Old
08-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Cola isn't depth. He was a top pairing D for the Blues last year. I wouldn't mind him if they can snag him on a cheap 1 year deal.
He's averaging 64.75 games a year for the last 4 years. I'd prefer a top pairing D play more than 3/4 of the season

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
He's averaging 64.75 games a year for the last 4 years. I'd prefer a top pairing D play more than 3/4 of the season
Which is why I said a cheap, 1 year deal. If you can improve your team on the cheap for 3/4 of the year then what's the harm?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:41 PM
FlyingHigh13

Quote:
As I stated in the above comments before your post... Yes, it's extremely likely they match. However, as was the case with Shea Weber, if the offer is even remotely close to reasonable dollars, we stand to lose nothing by offer sheeting. If the team matches, we lose nothing at all. If they do not, we get the player without losing from our existing pool of young assets.

As stated above.... it's the least likely to bare fruit. However, it's the best opportunity (however unlikely) to provide us with a reasonably priced asset. In terms of assets, any of the RFAs would be cheap compensation (picks, not necessarily cap hit).

If we're thinking about paying JBo 6.68M AAV, why not send an offer sheet for 6.5M for Subban and have a shot at getting a similarly valuable defenseman for less than JBo would cost?
Would rather have JBo than subban for same price and loss of draft picks. But either way its a irrelevant arguement cause A) the flyers arent going to do it and B) the Habs will match (barring the rounded to zero chance we would have). So, rather than pissing teams off and not getting anything for it, just stand pat and roll with what ya got. Reassess at the deadline. My main point is that there is no reason to throw out offer sheets at all these players. Do you see any other teams doing that? No.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Would rather have JBo than subban for same price and loss of draft picks.
My point is that when state that relative cost ($$$) is taken out of the equation, Subban + Assets necessary to acquire JBo - picks for Subban > JBo + picks for Subban - assets for JBo.

JBo isn't coming here for less than at least 1 roster player + picks.

Again, we all agree that it's unlikely we do it and even less likely that decline to match, but most people were simply asking the question about what the best way to solve the issues on defense was.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:52 PM
FlyingHigh13

Quote:
My point is that when state that relative cost ($$$) is taken out of the equation, Subban + Assets necessary to acquire JBo - picks for Subban > JBo + picks for Subban - assets for JBo.

JBo isn't coming here for less than at least 1 roster player + picks.

Again, we all agree that it's unlikely we do it and even less likely that decline to match, but most people were simply asking the question about what the best way to solve the issues on defense was.
That wasnt my main point cause i dont want either... and conclusively RFA offer sheets are not the way to go.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:56 PM
turkinaa

I would like to get JBo, but if the Wings are interested in him as well then we could have a bidding war. JBo would help for next season as well, but I can't see overpaying for a player that a team doesn't really want to keep.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Which is why I said a cheap, 1 year deal. If you can improve your team on the cheap for 3/4 of the year then what's the harm?
And what if that 1/4 of the year when he is out happens down the line leading into the playoffs?

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:07 PM
FlyingHigh13

Yeah, Carlo wants a longer team deal most likely. If he wanted a one year deal or was willing to accept one, he would have been signed already. Only way i would take him is for one year, but still not very interested. plus, he may be a 1st dman on blues, but he is talent wise a 3 or 4.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:33 PM
CTU2fan

Depending on how much he costs I wouldn't mind signing Hannan and pairing him with Gus. Failing that, stand pat and give Gus/MAB a shot as our 3rd pairing and live with their growing pains.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Hannan is like another lilja I would much rather have a younger guy play that position and give him experience to build on. The reason we never have good, young D men is because we never trust them/stunt their growth and then play guys like Zhitnik, O'Donnell, Lilja. Hannan will just be rehashing our old tendencies.
I agree with this. If there is ever a year to try our young defensemen, this is it.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote