HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Andrei Markov Thread

Old
08-08-2012, 04:01 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
And you assume Gauthier didn't first try to sign him for a lower amount because...?
Please tell me you aren't defending PG... Does anyone know he did try? I can ask you the same we are both just speculating here. I am willing to bet that he didn't but none of us know for sure.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:09 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Its worth a try at least. Otherwise bumping Kaberle to the second pairing could be a good idea, especially if he's been working hard all summer as he claims and bounces back.

Markov-Gorges
Kaberle-Subban
Emelin-Diaz/Weber

The third pair is a bit suspect but the 1st and 2nd have the potential to be godly (if sorely lacking in the physical department). A troll pairing of Emelin-Subban could also be considered. Markov's likely pair mates are Gorges, Emelin or even Subban. Markov-Subban.. Could anyone score on that?
Expect Markov to be rusty for a large part of the season. I'm excited by seeing other fans put him on the 3rd pairing, but I think he should spend a lot of time on the 3rd pairing with Bouillon to remember how to play defense.

We'll see what happens.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:13 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
More to the point. Does anyone know how Markov's off-season is
going? Is he in Montreal? Does he have any issues working out, such as
inflamation, swelling, etc. ?
I assume, since he didn't play much, he didn't need a long rest after
last season.

And on a related point. I wonder if Kaberle is training better than last
summer. While most fans think his loss of effectiveness is permenent, I
wonder if better off-season training could make a big difference.
Take this for what it's worth, but I recall Marinaro mentioning during the UEFA cup period - quickly between two soccer tidbits - that reports coming in indicate that Markov has been working out like a mad man and his strength is better than ever. Sounds like an obvious PR job to me, but what-evs...

Also, during an RDS interview with Plekanec, he alluded to having been working out and spending time with Kaberle during the off-season. Maybe TP's discipline will rub off on ole Kabs!

Last edited by jwolf: 08-08-2012 at 04:32 PM.
jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:27 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Take this for what it's worth, but I recall Marinaro mentioning during the UEFA cup period - quickly between to soccer tidbits - that reports coming in indicate that Markov has been working out like a mad man and his strength is better than ever. Sounds like an obvious PR job to me, but what-evs...

Also, during an RDS interview with Plekanec, he alluded to having been working out and spending time with Kaberle during the off-season. Maybe TP's discipline will rub off on ole Kabs!
He's avoided 3 years of wear and tear, so his injuries might mean he ends up playing competently to age 41 or 42.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Take this for what it's worth, but I recall Marinaro mentioning during the UEFA cup period - quickly between two soccer tidbits - that reports coming in indicate that Markov has been working out like a mad man and his strength is better than ever. Sounds like an obvious PR job to me, but what-evs...

Hopefully. A couple of seasons ago Kaberle showed up to Leafs' camp out of shape.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:34 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Hopefully. A couple of seasons ago Kaberle showed up to Leafs' camp out of shape.
Kaberle himself admitted in an interview this summer that he was fairly out of shape last season because he spent the summer partying&''recovering'' (from the cup finals and partying I guess). Hopefully Plekanec whips him into shape!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:35 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You should hear his unbiased views on Tinordi
I have a buddy that played in the O for 4 years and played against Tinordi is first year, and being from London he always followed the team and he confirmed that Tinordi was garbage is first year which was my buddys last year, I have heard that he grew leaps and bounds this year, which I cant confirm as I havent seen him play.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
I have a buddy that played in the O for 4 years and played against Tinordi is first year, and being from London he always followed the team and he confirmed that Tinordi was garbage is first year which was my buddys last year, I have heard that he grew leaps and bounds this year, which I cant confirm as I havent seen him play.
Tinordi did. It looked like a huge mistake his first year in the O. However, last year he improved immensely. I imagine he'll struggle in Hamilton, too.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:40 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
We should never have signed him to that stupid 5.75 per for 3 years deal coming off that injury. We should have given him a 1 year deal around 1.5 to 2 and seen how it went. THEN offer him a longer deal and as we saw he played a total of what 7 games for us.
That has got to be the most ******* silly thing I've ever read on this board.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 07:55 PM
CGG

Quote:
Please tell me you aren't defending PG... Does anyone know he did try? I can ask you the same we are both just speculating here. I am willing to bet that he didn't but none of us know for sure.
I sure as heck hope Gauthier didn't start off negotiations at one year $1.5 million. That is the most moronic thing I've ever heard on these boards. Say what you will about Gauthier, but not even he would be dumb enough to low ball the longest-serving and most talented member of the team like that. Despite the surgeries, there would have been about 20 teams lined up to sign Markov to a long-term deal at $5.75 million or higher a year. A lowball offer, followed soon after by a Markov long-term deal in Detroit, would just have had all the usual suspects whining about asset management, and how dumb Gauthier was for letting our most talented player walk, losing him for nothing.

Everyone forgets just how good Markov is. And there's no reason to believe he won't return to his 2008-09 form.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 07:56 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
That has got to be the most ******* silly thing I've ever read on this board.
Why because he was a good d man before the 2 knee injuries and the tendon injury? No one knew how he would return or when he would return. Why not offer im something like that with the knowledge that if his performance is up to snuff he gets a better deal. Did Souray get a huge deal when he resigned no did Vokoun get a huge deal. You look at guys that weren't even injured like that and they signed for much smaller contracts knowing a good showing would equate a bigger payday.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Why because he was a good d man before the 2 knee injuries and the tendon injury? No one knew how he would return or when he would return. Why not offer im something like that with the knowledge that if his performance is up to snuff he gets a better deal. Did Souray get a huge deal when he resigned no did Vokoun get a huge deal. You look at guys that weren't even injured like that and they signed for much smaller contracts knowing a good showing would equate a bigger payday.
So you are getting all worked up over something you yourself admited is pure speculation, without knowing jack about what actually happened.

It's like you not watching a game and then find out the habs lost 3-2, and getting all workout on speculations for no specific reason. "Why didn't the habs just started the game with three goals, and then shutdowned the opponent for the rest of the game? That's what I would have done".

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:26 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
So you are getting all worked up over something you yourself admited is pure speculation, without knowing jack about what actually happened.

It's like you not watching a game and then find out the habs lost 3-2, and getting all workout on speculations for no specific reason. "Why didn't the habs just started the game with three goals, and then shutdowned the opponent for the rest of the game? That's what I would have done".
I would have to lol

Old
08-08-2012, 08:31 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Because a.) quite simply, Markov would never consider such an offer, and if you don't realize that, you're a moron...as in clinically a moron.

b.) leading with such a **** offer can hardly be considered negotiating in good faith and is likely to lead him to go elsewhere.

c.) Souray and Vokoun weren't half the players Markov was before he went down, and to top that off, Vokoun's deal was seen as an anomaly.

d.) The team didn't have "no information" about Markov's situation or when he'd be returning. They had all kinds of people with these fancy things called medical doctorates, and MRIs saying "yeah, he'll be back, and at x reasonable percentage chance of achieving y percentage of his former self." The team had a look at the numbers, which Markov himself and more importantly, his agent(and potentially any team his agent wanted to share this news with), knew, and they decided to sign him.

I know, why didn't they contact you, right? I mean, you had a knee surgery and everything! Why didn't they just sign him for free, and see how he did! GAWD!

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:39 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Because a.) quite simply, Markov would never consider such an offer, and if you don't realize that, you're a moron...as in clinically a moron.

b.) leading with such a **** offer can hardly be considered negotiating in good faith and is likely to lead him to go elsewhere.

c.) Souray and Vokoun weren't half the players Markov was before he went down, and to top that off, Vokoun's deal was seen as an anomaly.

d.) The team didn't have "no information" about Markov's situation or when he'd be returning. They had all kinds of people with these fancy things called medical doctorates, and MRIs saying "yeah, he'll be back, and at x reasonable percentage chance of achieving y percentage of his former self." The team had a look at the numbers, which Markov himself and more importantly, his agent(and potentially any team his agent wanted to share this news with), knew, and they decided to sign him.

I know, why didn't they contact you, right? I mean, you had a knee surgery and everything! Why didn't they just sign him for free, and see how he did! GAWD!
And all those DRs did what? how many games did he play. I wouldn't have been sad seeing him go if he did well good for him if not and he sat out all season oh well oh wait he did sit out all season well all but 7 games.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:28 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
And all those DRs did what? how many games did he play. I wouldn't have been sad seeing him go if he did well good for him if not and he sat out all season oh well oh wait he did sit out all season well all but 7 games.
It's not an exact science dude, setbacks occur and not everyone heals the same. It would have been retarded to let Markov go.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You're completely off the reservation. There are a lot worse GM's than Gauthier in the history of the NHL and I don't think any of them would start out a negotiation with their best offer to a player. Much like this CBA negotiation, both sides start with their best case scenario and work from there, but because it doesn't happen on twitter or in the papers you pretend it doesn't happen.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Expect Markov to be rusty for a large part of the season. I'm excited by seeing other fans put him on the 3rd pairing, but I think he should spend a lot of time on the 3rd pairing with Bouillon to remember how to play defense.

We'll see what happens.
The whole point of him playing this past year even if the Habs were out of it, was to shake of some of the rust. By starting camp and preseason from day 1 he should be no worse off than anybody else in terms of timing and conditionning in 2012-2013 assuming his knee is healthy.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
So what? Malkin blew out his ACL and MCL 2 years ago and just won the scoring title the year after, I guess if you were Pittsburgh GM you would have quickly dumped him last summer? Brilliant! Your ideas make Mike Milbury sound like Sam Pollock, you're the last guy that should criticize Gauthier.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The whole point of him playing this past year even if the Habs were out of it, was to shake of some of the rust. By starting camp and preseason from day 1 he should be no worse off than anybody else in terms of timing and conditionning in 2012-2013 assuming his knee is healthy.
Exactly!

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:32 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

I believe that Markov will come back and play 75+ games, with around 50, maybe 55-60 points. Him on the top PP, setting Subban up for his huge point shots, should help our power play greatly. Second unit, we have Kaberle, a great passer, with either Weber, Diaz, or even Emelin, should also provide solid production.

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:40 AM
bsl

Quote:
Guilty until proven innocent. Is that's your thing?

Wait till you're in the dock and people with an attitude like yours start smearing you with absolutely no evidence, none. 'Willing to bet' you did the crime. Ever think about that?

Why do you do this? What's your deal?

Last edited by overlords: 08-09-2012 at 01:59 PM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
So what? Malkin blew out his ACL and MCL 2 years ago and just won the scoring title the year after, I guess if you were Pittsburgh GM you would have quickly dumped him last summer? Brilliant! Your ideas make Mike Milbury sound like Sam Pollock, you're the last guy that should criticize Gauthier.

Malkin is way younger than Markov and never missed anywhere near the amount of time Markov did.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:59 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Yes and Markov wasn't good during that stretch.

He's still going to be rusty. I am confident he will recover, but I expect it could take half the season.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:06 PM
FF de Mars

I believe preseason will shake off his rust.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote