HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Olympics talk

Old
08-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
A great article on the sexpot that is the summer Olympic village. Makes me want to take up something like racewalking.
I've known a couple of people who have worked as translators at the Olympics both winter and summer. They've all said it is akin to a frat/sorority party but with more hook-ups.

08-08-2012, 03:03 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

I'm running my own Olympic Village.

Not looking for corporate sponsors yet, though.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Kessy/Ross and May/Walsh are on the live stream now.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:13 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Kessy/Ross and May/Walsh are on the live stream now.
This is one thing I am trying to watch tonight in prime time. Any idea when Neatly Behind Coverage's coverage of that match will be tonight??

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
"By the book" is not the way to go about it in this case. The rule is simply not inforced. There's a reason that even the US analyists who are involved in the sport have said that this was a brutal call. It is mostly people unfamiliar with the sport trying to defend it.

And no, the handball was not "an easy call". There are plenty of shades of gray when it comes to handball, and the shot being in-line with the defender with the arms coming up in self-defense is certainly one of them. Of course with you still defending the delay of game call, I sense a bit of bias here.

Hopefully this ref doesn't get anymore major international assingments. The 6 second-rule fiasco should be enough to keep her out of these events....not to mention how awful she was the rest of the game.

Sorry... Handball call was spot on .... intentional or not ...the girl turned her back and flared her arm out ... that's a textbook handball.

6 second rule? ..Meh it's subjective but it was the correct call nonetheless .... I doubt Sabres fans would agree that the officials made the right call by not calling Hull in the crease because they shouldn't of interjected themselves that late in the game.

The Goalkeeper was warned ... Waumbach did the smart thing and kept the thought in the officials head by continuing to count out loud how long she was holding it. Was Goalkeepers fault and nobody elses. The argument of "it's never enforced" is just faulty from the get. She did it all game ...she was warned....continued to do it after the warning and went to the well one too many times while trying to milk the clock. SHe got what she deserved.

Besides..it's not like the Americans didn't deserve the win..they outplayed Canada for the vast majority of the game.

I will agree the ref shouldnt ref anymore games...she made enough bad calls on both sides to warrant that.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:31 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
This is one thing I am trying to watch tonight in prime time. Any idea when Neatly Behind Coverage's coverage of that match will be tonight??
No idea. They've usually done volleyball around 9pm, but I don't know if there's anything more 'premium' tonight that they'd do closer to 11pm.

I'll spoiler tag the result then if you're waiting to watch it.

Old
08-08-2012, 03:40 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Spoil:

May/Walsh dismantled Ross/Kessy

Still not bad when both US teams medal like that.

Old
08-08-2012, 03:53 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
"By the book" is not the way to go about it in this case. The rule is simply not inforced. There's a reason that even the US analyists who are involved in the sport have said that this was a brutal call. It is mostly people unfamiliar with the sport trying to defend it.

And no, the handball was not "an easy call". There are plenty of shades of gray when it comes to handball, and the shot being in-line with the defender with the arms coming up in self-defense is certainly one of them. Of course with you still defending the delay of game call, I sense a bit of bias here.

Hopefully this ref doesn't get anymore major international assingments. The 6 second-rule fiasco should be enough to keep her out of these events....not to mention how awful she was the rest of the game.
Hrmm, on the bias part, I think you're guilty of the pot/kettle thingy.

There are folks on both sides of the fence with regard to the delay of game. I think it was a harsh call, but a technically correct one. Would I have called it there? No.

The handball was pretty straightforward. There's not a lot to say on that one.

Enough from me on this though.:-)

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:16 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Hrmm, on the bias part, I think you're guilty of the pot/kettle thingy.

There are folks on both sides of the fence with regard to the delay of game. I think it was a harsh call, but a technically correct one. Would I have called it there? No.

The handball was pretty straightforward. There's not a lot to say on that one.

Enough from me on this though.:-)
Why would I be biased against the US?

And frankly, I've seen very few non-biased football writers (people who actually cover the game for a living and not just for the Olympics) on your side of the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz
Sorry... Handball call was spot on .... intentional or not ...the girl turned her back and flared her arm out ... that's a textbook handball.

6 second rule? ..Meh it's subjective but it was the correct call nonetheless .... I doubt Sabres fans would agree that the officials made the right call by not calling Hull in the crease because they shouldn't of interjected themselves that late in the game.

The Goalkeeper was warned ... Waumbach did the smart thing and kept the thought in the officials head by continuing to count out loud how long she was holding it. Was Goalkeepers fault and nobody elses. The argument of "it's never enforced" is just faulty from the get. She did it all game ...she was warned....continued to do it after the warning and went to the well one too many times while trying to milk the clock. SHe got what she deserved.

Besides..it's not like the Americans didn't deserve the win..they outplayed Canada for the vast majority of the game.

I will agree the ref shouldnt ref anymore games...she made enough bad calls on both sides to warrant that.
Yeah you're still not getting the gray area in the handball rule. I've seen that exact same thing not called more often than called. She's twisting out of the way, and her arm - which was raised in self defense - was the last thing to get out of the way. To quote earlier in the thread, I would not call that an "unnatural movement". Certainly could have gone either way, but it is in NO way a "clear cut call". As someone who has experience reffing football, I most likely would not have called it (who can say what kind of sight line she had)

From your take on the 6 second rule, it's pretty obvious you don't really follow football too much. Even if she got a warning (which is contested), it was likely a vague warning about time wasting - which most keepers/players would interpret to mean that they need to hurry up their goal kicks, which is where most time wasting (and most cards given out for such) are given. I highly doubt she was specifically warned about being slow during the run of play. The Canadian keeper didn't take an extraordinate amount of time to get rid of the ball, no matter what the US team was claiming trying to get an edge. It wouldn't surprise me if Abby was counting fast, too.

In addition, on the actual play that was called, it's very questionable that the rule had been broken when the whistle went. Seconds spent on the ground are not counted against the 6 seconds (even if we want to enforce this rule that is broken in every professional soccer match played), and she was VERY close to 6 seconds standing (not 10 - that's the total from when she first caught the ball diving to the ground).

Your Brett Hull comparison is absurd. That rule was enforced all season long except for one occasion. This rule has never been enforced except for one occasion (to pretty much everyone's memory). HUUUGE difference.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

From your take on the 6 second rule, it's pretty obvious you don't really follow football too much. Even if she got a warning (which is contested)"

How is it contested ...it was stated earlier in the thread that the Goalkeeper said she was warned at the beginning of the second half.... Doesn't look like that was contested at all..

As for the rest... I'll stick to what I stated... Especially on the handball call ... From playing youth soccer, to high school soccer...to summer leagues ..Not only have i seen that type of play called a handball on a consistent basis I've had it called on myself numerous times.

All i can say about the rest is...she stalled ...she was warned ..she continued...

would love to find a replay of the play so i could count from when she got up.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:01 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
From your take on the 6 second rule, it's pretty obvious you don't really follow football too much. Even if she got a warning (which is contested)"

How is it contested ...it was stated earlier in the thread that the Goalkeeper said she was warned at the beginning of the second half.... Doesn't look like that was contested at all..

As for the rest... I'll stick to what I stated... Especially on the handball call ... From playing youth soccer, to high school soccer...to summer leagues ..Not only have i seen that type of play called a handball on a consistent basis I've had it called on myself numerous times.

All i can say about the rest is...she stalled ...she was warned ..she continued...

would love to find a replay of the play so i could count from when she got up.
I heard that was the assistant that said that, and that the goalie said she was never warned. Even if she was "warned" there's no info on what that warning entailed. If it was a vague warning about timewasting (the most likely thing, IMO), as I said above she probably thought it was referring to goal kicks.

Whether she was taking an extraordinary amount of time earlier in the game I'm not sure (I was drifting in and out of attention on the DVR - I knew it was 3-3 in ET before I started watching the recording), but she was absolutely not stalling at the time the whistle blew - she's waiting for her team to get upfield so that she can punt the ball in the direction of a teammate.

I still can't believe anyone would even try to defend this call as the appropriate one.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I heard that was the assistant that said that, and that the goalie said she was never warned. Even if she was "warned" there's no info on what that warning entailed. If it was a vague warning about timewasting (the most likely thing, IMO), as I said above she probably thought it was referring to goal kicks.

Whether she was taking an extraordinary amount of time earlier in the game I'm not sure (I was drifting in and out of attention on the DVR - I knew it was 3-3 in ET before I started watching the recording), but she was absolutely not stalling at the time the whistle blew - she's waiting for her team to get upfield so that she can punt the ball in the direction of a teammate.

I still can't believe anyone would even try to defend this call as the appropriate one.

Basically your whole argument is "probably" and I assume.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...occer-ref.html

According to the offcials father.... She warned the goalkeeper twice herself ... plus warned the Canadian Captain once .. and the assistant ref warned the Goalkeeper once.

Only thing I would concede on the call was that of giving her a free kick instead of a Yellow Card.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:37 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jflory81
Yeah you're still not getting the gray area in the handball rule. I've seen that exact same thing not called more often than called. She's twisting out of the way, and her arm - which was raised in self defense - was the last thing to get out of the way. To quote earlier in the thread, I would not call that an "unnatural movement". Certainly could have gone either way, but it is in NO way a "clear cut call". As someone who has experience reffing football, I most likely would not have called it (who can say what kind of sight line she had)
The 6-second call... questionable. Not the handball. Not since that same call was made against the USMNT in a friendly match against Brazil a couple months back; and it was even LESS blatant because as the defender (Onyewu) was turning his body he was tucking his arm behind him as he is supposed to. Ball bounces off his upper arm, whistle goes and Brazil gets a penalty.

If that is getting called, then absolutely the call needs to be made against Canada, doesn't matter what stage of the game it is (though I wouldn't make that same argument about the 6 second call, that's a toooooooough time for the ref to insert herself). Plus it didn't look like she was raising her arm in self defense, looked like she was just careless with her arms in the box. You'll pay for that kind of play sooner or later

whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
The 6-second call... questionable. Not the handball. Not since that same call was made against the USMNT in a friendly match against Brazil a couple months back; and it was even LESS blatant because as the defender (Onyewu) was turning his body he was tucking his arm behind him as he is supposed to. Ball bounces off his upper arm, whistle goes and Brazil gets a penalty.

If that is getting called, then absolutely the call needs to be made against Canada, doesn't matter what stage of the game it is (though I wouldn't make that same argument about the 6 second call, that's a toooooooough time for the ref to insert herself). Plus it didn't look like she was raising her arm in self defense, looked like she was just careless with her arms in the box. You'll pay for that kind of play sooner or later
The call against the US against Brazil was brutal, I remember that. (almost as brutal as Onyewu's play in that game ). That was certainly much less of a handball than this one (which I maintain could have gone either way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz
Basically your whole argument is "probably" and I assume.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...occer-ref.html

According to the offcials father.... She warned the goalkeeper twice herself ... plus warned the Canadian Captain once .. and the assistant ref warned the Goalkeeper once.

Only thing I would concede on the call was that of giving her a free kick instead of a Yellow Card.
And yours is relying on the official's father. Some source there. About the same as me relying on the keeper saying she wasn't warned. Even if she was warned, it was an absolutely brutal call. This is a good article on why: http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...ecision-wrong/

Old
08-08-2012, 05:57 PM
whiplash

Quote:
The call against the US against Brazil was brutal, I remember that. (almost as brutal as Onyewu's play in that game ). That was certainly much less of a handball than this one (which I maintain could have gone either way).

And yours is relying on the official's father. Some source there. About the same as me relying on the keeper saying she wasn't warned. Even if she was warned, it was an absolutely brutal call. This is a good article on why: http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...ecision-wrong/
Dude, don't even get me started on our defending in that game and the Guatemala game... That would be going too far off topic

Basically all I care about now is the women's soccer final. Men's 200m is tomorrow, right?

On a side note, I caught a couple minutes of track cycling but the TV was muted so I had no clue what was going on. Twas bizarrrrrrre

whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:28 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Guys, it's FIFA football. It's assumed that the officiating is going to be subpar.

Otherwise, it wouldn't be FIFA.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:52 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Canadian women get one in injury time, win the bronze 1-0. Crazy.

France worked them the entire game, just couldn't finish. Should have been up by 3 at least.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:13 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Katie Taylor from Ireland wins the gold in front of what sounded like the entire city of Dublin.

The folks in that place were losing their damn minds. I hate boxing, but I LOVED hearing that.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:11 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Oscar Pistorius: inspiring, or disconcerting?

He's the South African guy running on two prosthetics. My sense is that the prosthetics give him an artificial advantage on the racetrack: not that he hasn't been horribly disadvantaged in life generally, or that he didn't have to learn to use them, but it seems that the ceiling for a guy who has spring loaded calves that weigh less than normal legs is higher.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:13 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

He's the South African guy running on two prosthetics. My sense is that the prosthetics give him an artificial advantage on the racetrack: not that he hasn't been horribly disadvantaged in life generally, or that he didn't have to learn to use them, but it seems that the ceiling for a guy who has spring loaded calves that weigh less than normal legs is higher.
Been discussed before, but basically there was a whole legal process and his team very well argued that the legs do not give him an advantage, but rather that he still has a disadvantage.

The legs are not bionic.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Canadian women get one in injury time, win the bronze 1-0. Crazy.

France worked them the entire game, just couldn't finish. Should have been up by 3 at least.
I consider it good karma from the semi-final game.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 12:58 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

If the people in charge of the sport are convinced that his prosthetics do not give him a competitive advantage, then fine. They certainly know more than I do.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:01 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
17 year old American wins gold in her weight class woop woop.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:07 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:

If that were the case, wouldn't runners be chopping their legs off to get faster?

I don't think there is an advantage to running with prosthetics vs having actual legs.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
If that were the case, wouldn't runners be chopping their legs off to get faster?

I don't think there is an advantage to running with prosthetics vs having actual legs.
They're not actual prosthetics. They're just two metal thingies that allow him to stand up. The actual running is in his hip joints anyway.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote