HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 02:16 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Here's a link to an interesting read on the impact the Suter/Parise and Weber deals may have on negotiations:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/shea-we...medium=twitter

This is from Adam Porteau of The Hockey News

Old
08-09-2012, 09:52 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's a link to Arace's column, today, regarding the labor negotiations:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...e-sharing.html

I agree on a couple of key points, the need for more revenue sharing and the significance of having Fehr leading the NHLPA.

(thanks for the move to the appropriate thread)

Last edited by pete goegan: 08-09-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old
08-09-2012, 10:09 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Here's a link to Arace's column, today, regarding the labor negotiations:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...e-sharing.html

I agree on a couple of key points, the need for more revenue sharing and the significance of having Fehr leading the NHLPA.
What I agree with is that we need better revenue sharing. What I disagree with is that the player union has the right to demand a certain percentage of league revenue. What has been created a disaster. The owners have created their own problems, but we also have the player pretending that 40%+ of league revenue for salaries is a hardship. I laugh in their face. Both of them have created a problem in which it costs way too damn much for a ticket.

Yes, I understand all the arguments.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:16 AM
EDM

The lockout is a particularly serious threat this year. If they don't play we are sentenced to months on end of more debate about the Nash trade. I don't think I could stand it.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
The lockout is a particularly serious threat this year. If they don't play we are sentenced to months on end of more debate about the Nash trade. I don't think I could stand it.
Well the good news is we'll have the Browns and Bengals to keep us entertained while we wait for hockey

Old
08-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Well the good news is we'll have the Browns and Bengals to keep us entertained while we wait for hockey
Or, in my case, the Seaturkeys. Real entertaining stuff!

Old
08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Byrral

What a mess. This is what happens when everyone is trying to get their piece of an ever growing pie filled with money. Hope they don't let this go on too long. At this point in time it is possible that a significant number of games will be lost before an agreement is reached. We will see if any lessons were learned from the last work stoppage.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

And so it begins...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402741

Quote:
National Hockey League commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters on Thursday that the NHL will lock out its players if there is no new collective bargaining agreement by the time the old agreement expires on Sept. 15.

Old
08-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Hopefully a negotiating ploy, though, I fear that won't be the case. I think at this point, with this new development, the season will certainly be at least delayed.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Nash is gone, get over it...

The NHL season might be delayed but both groups will settle sooner than later.. In the end the big four sports are money based and how to spend it.. They will play a 2012-2013 season at some point, if not those NHL player cottages in Ontario and elsewhere will have to be sold..

Old
08-10-2012, 08:59 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Here is a clear, even-handed view of the major issues to be negotiated (from the Hockey News):

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...daily_20120810

Old
08-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
The Bengals did make the playoffs last year you know.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Crede777
Deputized

I am hoping there is no lockout or delay.

However I feel I can view the situation as a win-win. Either there is hockey or Columbus has an extra year to address its many deficits and perhaps gets a high pick without embarrassing themselves and us.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
The Bengals did make the playoffs last year you know.
Yes, but it was quite a forgettable appearance. Hoping for more from them this year.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:50 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Yes, but it was quite a forgettable appearance. Hoping for more from them this year.
Forgettable? The Bengals were actually in the playoffs. That in and of itself is so far fetched that I can't forget it.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:52 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Crombeen says he thinks the counter proposal on Tuesday is going to make the negotiations closer.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...greement-done/

Quote:
“Our proposal is a good proposal,” he said. “With our proposal we feel we’ll be closer to getting that agreement done.”
Quote:
“With Gary’s comments, they feel strong enough that they don’t want to continue under this agreement and want further concessions from the players,” Crombeen explained. “We’re trying to make sense of what they need and what they want.”

Old
08-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
I don't see this dragging out, honestly. The just need to tweak what thet currently have, unlike last time where they introduced the salary cap and lowered UFA age

Old
08-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
I don't see this dragging out, honestly. The just need to tweak what thet currently have, unlike last time where they introduced the salary cap and lowered UFA age
I've actually softened on Fehr a bit. He's still the same guy that I remember from his MLB days, but he's a step up on Goodenow.

If there's significant progress that's made, I can see a temporary extension of the CBA being done rather than triggering a lockout.

Old
08-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Here's me throwing darts as far as what might happen that would get a deal done.

- Salary cap set at 50%, down from 57%.
- Elimination of escrow
- Salary floor set to percentage of cap, rather than a set amount underneath
- Massive restructuring of how individual cap hit is calculated
- Reduction of roster limits from 23 to 22
- Two new expansion teams to begin play by 2016

Old
08-10-2012, 04:58 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Here is a clear, even-handed view of the major issues to be negotiated (from the Hockey News):

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...daily_20120810
I think the author screwed up his analysis of front loaded long term contracts. He says that small market owners want the cap hit spread evenly throughout the deal. That is what happens now, right? I think the small mkt guys want what you pay in a year to be the cap hit. For example, with the Flyers offer to Weber, there would be a 14 mllion hit year one, not the 7 million and change that Nashville will absorb.

EDIT: Upon re-reading point 5 I think it is poorly worded. Its not clear which group of owners he is referring to in his last sentence.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Byrral

I would hope re-alignment would also be part of this CBA although I haven't heard of any discussions about it. I'd think it would be another bargaining chip for the players.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:23 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
-I see it dragging out a while. After the last lockout it took a year for the league to be successful. The owners know fans will come back(despite their "you'll never see another dime of my money" statements), so why should owners who are in the red(i.e. small market teams) continue to operate non-money making businesses when they can shut it down(lose less money), work/force a deal in which the premise is that all of the businesses(i.e. 30 clubs) are profitable.

Here's what Bettman said last November:

[I]"It was very painful for us when we lost the season. We didn't have a choice. We had some pretty fundamental problems. And in our case, I'm not necessarily suggesting it's a template for anybody else, we came back stronger. We were back stronger than ever on Day 1 because our fans understood that we had problems and that they had been addressed in collective bargaining and that gave us great optimism for the future. [/I] http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/33110239

-The owners have other means of making money. Do the players? Your big names will have no problem going somewhere in Europe and making some money, but what about the 3rd-4th line guys? The average NHL career is 3 seasons(241 games). How many of your non-marque guys are willing to sacrifice a year of that?

Bill Guerin said it best this last season when talking about the NBA's potential lost season:

[I]"It's not worth it. Get a deal done," former Dallas Stars forward Bill Guerin said during a phone call last week.

There was not a single NHL player during the Great Lockout of 2004-05 who was a bigger proponent of the union's fight than this man. No one believed in the cause more than Guerin, and to hear him admit this is a bit stunning.

"I learned a big lesson: It's not a partnership. It's their league, and you are going to play when they want," he said.

Today, Guerin has hindsight and his experience serves as a giant caution to any player who thinks losing a game, much less an entire season, to this lockout is a good idea. His message is simple: Get what you can; start playing; you are not going to win what you think.

"It is not worth it to any of them to burn games or to burn an entire year. Burning a year was ridiculous," Guerin said. "It wasn't worth me giving up $9 million a year, or 82 games plus the playoffs, then having a crappy year and being bought out
[/I]
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/32846927

You think that the $ signs didn't show up in every owners eyes when they heard this late last year. The longer the NHLPA/Fehr are under the impression that they aren't gonna give up substantial concessions, the longer this will continue.

Even those that are "in the know" are expecting time lost:
http://www.bergerbytes.ca/2012/08/ex...tarting-jan-1/

Old
08-11-2012, 01:27 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
I would hope re-alignment would also be part of this CBA although I haven't heard of any discussions about it. I'd think it would be another bargaining chip for the players.
There was an article I just read that stated it probably will be and that's why the league didn't seem to care when the NHLPA shot it down earlier, cause they knew it would be worked out during the negotiations. Next season at the latest I'd have to guess.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:30 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Crombeen says he thinks the counter proposal on Tuesday is going to make the negotiations closer.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...greement-done/
Bettman said the league's proposal was "good proposal" so we'll see come Tuesday, but I think the PA's proposal is gonna contain minor concessions, but nothing of substance

Old
08-11-2012, 01:45 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBusChill View Post
Or the Hockey Gods could smile on us and our ball comes out first and LA's ball comes out second giving us the top two picks. Ok, well, I am going to go back and drink some more NyQuil now.
Now with our 3 #1 picks we'll probably end up with 28, 29, & 30.

OR hit the mother load with 1, 2, 3 and then proclaim our GM is a genius like Pitt, cause apparently getting a top 2 pick in 4 straight years makes you a genius drafter

Last edited by georgiabluejacket: 08-11-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Closed Thread