HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ladies and gentleman we are going on a strike or lock-out

Old
07-23-2012, 08:44 AM
24Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Don't worry, they will match. It's a no brainer both hockey and financially wise. Weber is the face of the franchise and a Norris candidate ever year.
I'm not so sure they will. The big wrinkle is the $26million due in the first 11 months.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:41 PM
overlords
Hfboards

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...agreement.html

Article written by a legit NHL player. And reads like it too. I've read better arguments from kids in highschool.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:58 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...agreement.html

Article written by a legit NHL player. And reads like it too. I've read better arguments from kids in highschool.
I thought it was a well-written article.

The comparison is not to the future polisci majors at prep schools. The comparison is to typical sports writers. This article was high-end sports writing.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Takashi

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/344868.html

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Mr. Hab

It's always us the fans who get ****ed in the ***, in the end.

Owners, players, no matter what...they get their money in the end.
(no fans, no NHL).

If there is a lockout...this will be the third under Bettman, right?
(Bettman has to go).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 07-30-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Takashi

TWITTER - NHLwiki@NHLwiki

«#NHL *News* #CBA: Gary Bettman says there will be a lockout without a new CBA on Sept 15th, says the #NHLPA has been aware of it.»

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 01:41 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
It's always us the fans who get ****ed in the ***, in the end.

Owners, players, no matter what...they get their money in the end.
(no fans, no NHL).

If there is a lockout...this will be the third under Bettman, right?
(Bettman has to go).
Not really, fans can move on to more important things, there are any number of other hobbies.

It's the owners and players who will lose billions of dollars if they are this dumb.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:26 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Bettman Players will be locked out if no deal done by Sept 15th

So Bettman announces there will be a lockout if they can't strike a deal by Sept 15th. From what I had read the NHL has sent 76K pages thus far outlining the financials of the NHL and they are still waiting for the rest of the document. How are the players and teh PA supposed to come to the table with a planned counter if they are being held up by the NHL in terms of showing their books.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402741

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
DAChampion

This would be bad for the Habs in my opinion.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
So Bettman announces there will be a lockout if they can't strike a deal by Sept 15th. From what I had read the NHL has sent 76K pages thus far outlining the financials of the NHL and they are still waiting for the rest of the document. How are the players and teh PA supposed to come to the table with a planned counter if they are being held up by the NHL in terms of showing their books.

Not NHLs fault. They wanted to negotiate for a long time. The NHLPA wasn't ready.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Would be bad for everyone. Though it may give more time for the prospects to develop?

Cupmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

So you're telling me....there's a chance?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:01 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Do contracts burn a year in a lockout? If so, a lockout wouldn't be too bad ...

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
durojean

So if there s a lock out for 1 year. With the bad season we had last year, does it give us more chances to have an other top 5 pick ?

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
It would kind of suck.

But if it works out like it did last time around we'd get three balls for the lottery. We could do what Pittsburgh did and get 1st overall... Or, we could wind up like Washington and get 15th.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:12 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Not NHLs fault. They wanted to negotiate for a long time. The NHLPA wasn't ready.
The PA is also still waiting for the NHL to send along the rest of their financials the leage sent them a 76K page document that wasn;t the complete document. I do not blame the players at all many were still in the midst of playoff pushes and then playoffs. Oh well even if there is a lockout I will still be right back to watching as soon as the puck drops. It sucks for teams like the Preds who will be required to still pay Weber 26 million in bonus money regardless and then to make matters worse they have no hockey related revenue coming in.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Just like saying Howson wanted to trade Nash for a long time. It has nothing to do with other teams being ready or not, rather Howson was asking for players that he was never going to get.

----------------- ------------------------ ----------------------- --------------------------

I don't know why the Canadian teams don't just get together and play without the American teams. This dispute has nothing to do with us and unlike the States we actually want to watch hockey before Xmas. Just honour all the previous agreements and contracts and drop the puck.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:13 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Do contracts burn a year in a lockout? If so, a lockout wouldn't be too bad ...
THE question, imo.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It would kind of suck.

But if it works out like it did last time around we'd get three balls for the lottery. We could do what Pittsburgh did and get 1st overall... Or, we could wind up like Washington and get 15th.
With the same rules in place we'd get one ball instead of three because we would be considered a successful team - imagine that.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:32 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It would kind of suck.

We have a better shot at a high draft pick if we play the season.

Also, ours is an old team, so a lockout year means one additional year with many bad contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
Would be bad for everyone. Though it may give more time for the prospects to develop?
Every team has prospects that would develop better, and ours is an average farm system.

Old
08-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post

Like usual your post makes no sense. The NHL shows the NHLPA it's "books" every year since they have a revenue sharing CBA in order to set the cap. I assume the new documents are just the 2011-2012 version. Even without that they can discuss 90% of the issues on the table...like longer ELC contracts and such.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:48 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Like usual your post makes no sense. The NHL shows the NHLPA it's "books" every year since they have a revenue sharing CBA in order to set the cap. I assume the new documents are just the 2011-2012 version. Even without that they can discuss 90% of the issues on the table...like longer ELC contracts and such.
Discuss that till your blue in teh face but it is all going to come down to the dollars. You can agree on everything else but when there is no agreement on the money nothing else matters. Here are some quotes from Fehr and the PA.

Quote:
Core economic issues were discussed with the full group on Tuesday. Bargaining sub-committees also met this week to discuss player health and safety, pensions and benefits, business matters and on-ice issues.

The NHLPA’s analysis of the NHL owners’ initial proposal has revealed that it would result in a massive transfer of money from players' salaries to the owners, in the amount of $450 million per year, measured against last season's revenues.
Quote:
The NHL submitted its revenue sharing proposal this week, which Commissioner Gary Bettman characterized as “more inclusive” but yet “quite similar” to the current system. The NHL has also begun to provide financial data the NHLPA requested on July 13, following the owners’ initial proposal. The NHLPA will need to analyze the data requested in order to be in a position to respond with a proposal.
The bold and colour section is the most telling portion. Requested July 13 and on Aug 4 the NHL is just starting to send the informtion over. I realize it will take a bit to put it all together but come on.

Old
08-09-2012, 04:41 PM
RC51

If a lockout which team benifits most

nobody wants a lockout, this I understand.
Now would this help the habs? Any other team?
consider this. Habs still need to dump contracts. any amount of time locked out helps the team waist time on those contract.
The Habs have some great young talent this year in Hamilton they will get better before the habs need them.
The Habs last year had one of the worst starts in history and right from the get go injuries over injuries, they were down 12 points by the time they got to December, with nobody playing nobody get hurt.
I know it's a strange way to look at this but it must be said that some teams would benifit more then other in a lockout situation.

would you team?

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

Like all fans of NHL teams, I'd be disappointed by a missed season but I wouldn't be desolated. Galchenyuk and other 2012 draftees as well as Tinordi and Beaulieu could get in another year of development while Emelin and Markov could play in the KHL and Leblanc in the AHL. The Habs might get another high lottery pick without jeopardizing their chances of getting a top 10 pick by making the playoffs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Alexdaman

It would benifit the habs especially with the draft we've just had IMO we would probably be the team that would profit the most, with Edmonton probably better off playing a season since most of their best drafted players are on the regular team.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote