HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs select Charles Hudon - 122nd overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 12:36 AM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Turner Stevenson was a 2nd round pick though
First round -- he went 12th in 1990.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:04 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzinSmith View Post
First round -- he went 12th in 1990.
O. Thanks for the precision. Makes it even crazier to complain about Hudon by bringing up Stevenson.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:35 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Really hope this kid pans out. looked so excited to be picked by the habs.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
06-25-2012, 09:33 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojiro View Post
I live about an hour away from Chicoutimi so I get to see maybe 20 Sags game every year. I'm pretty happy with the pick actually, the way I see it in the 5th round you can afford to take a 'chance'' with a homerun, all-or-nothing type of pick. Hudon had a very impressive year as a 16 year old so a lot of people expected him to at lest be the lead scorer on the team this season and while it didn't happen he still had a decent season in the end and was one of the better forwards in the playoffs.
He'll have a chance to be the main guy in Chicoutimi next year and he already has an invite on Team Canada's pre-camp so we'll be able to access what we have in him pretty quickly. If he can develop a stronger lower body I can really see him be a Brandan Gallagher type of pleasant surprise for us.
How does he compare to Desharnais when he was with the Sags? I know that for DD, there was talk about his poor skating and lack of foot speed as well as needing to improve his lower body strength. In the years since we signed him to an AHL contract, he's made huge strides in improving his lower body strength/skating/foot speed so hopefully Hudon can improve as he's got 2 years in the Q and likely a couple in the AHL to work on things.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:48 AM
kojiro

His shortcomings are similar to DD at the same age, although his game is quite different in that DD was a playmaking center and Hudon is really a pure sniper. Foot speed is the main thing to improve for him, he moves fairly well and he does get to where he needs to be but he doesn't have the explosiveness and the strength in his first few steps that a player his size needs to survive in the big league. Outside of that he is a bit fragile and easy to separate from the puck but that's the kind of thing that maturing and conditioning will help improve in time. He has the willingness to battle for the puck and a good compete level so I wouldn't call him soft by any means.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojiro View Post
His shortcomings are similar to DD at the same age, although his game is quite different in that DD was a playmaking center and Hudon is really a pure sniper. Foot speed is the main thing to improve for him, he moves fairly well and he does get to where he needs to be but he doesn't have the explosiveness and the strength in his first few steps that a player his size needs to survive in the big league. Outside of that he is a bit fragile and easy to separate from the puck but that's the kind of thing that maturing and conditioning will help improve in time. He has the willingness to battle for the puck and a good compete level so I wouldn't call him soft by any means.
Interesting, had he not been injured for the CHL Prospects game I would have at least gotten to see him once but will try and catch a couple Sags games over the next 2 years. I have heard in addition to his lack of speed he's got to get stronger but he'll have a few years to do so. Like the fact that he's a sniper, seems like we picked up a few of those this draft and we surely needed it.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Hudon is a perfect project for the new development staff to work with. Let's see what they can do to get a local kid pumped up to one day play for the Habs. Win-win if it works out. The city gets a local kid on the team and the development staff gets the praise they deserve for turning a 5th round pick into an NHL'er.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Hudon is a perfect project for the new development staff to work with. Let's see what they can do to get a local kid pumped up to one day play for the Habs. Win-win if it works out. The city gets a local kid on the team and the development staff gets the praise they deserve for turning a 5th round pick into an NHL'er.
It will be interesting to see what Bergevin's philosophy of helping these kids along does for their development. As good as Timmins is I feel like the main strategy under Gainey/Gauthier was to send them off to NCAA programs and forget they exist.

I didn't know what to think of all the development hiring before but now that the draft is over I'm excited, seeing personal commitment for draftees instead of just hoping for the best is something different from what I'm used to with this organization. I loved how they said Rockstrom would personally check in on the new Swedish prospects, all the guys we picked have fixable flaws (mainly strength and skating in a few situations) and personal attention just might be the difference maker.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:39 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
It will be interesting to see what Bergevin's philosophy of helping these kids along does for their development. As good as Timmins is I feel like the main strategy under Gainey/Gauthier was to send them off to NCAA programs and forget they exist.

I didn't know what to think of all the development hiring before but now that the draft is over I'm excited, seeing personal commitment for draftees instead of just hoping for the best is something different from what I'm used to with this organization. I loved how they said Rockstrom would personally check in on the new Swedish prospects, all the guys we picked have fixable flaws (mainly strength and skating in a few situations) and personal attention just might be the difference maker.
I agree. I'm very glad that the approach of "throw all your eggs against the wall, and keep the ones that don't break" seems to have been weeded out as an organizational approach.

Very few players are zero maintenance: if you're not prepared to give a little to develop players who might need some help, you'll miss out on some great talent.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I agree. I'm very glad that the approach of "throw all your eggs against the wall, and keep the ones that don't break" seems to have been weeded out as an organizational approach.

Very few players are zero maintenance: if you're not prepared to give a little to develop players who might need some help, you'll miss out on some great talent.
Well development is still is the primary job of the CHL/NCAA/Euro program, but these teams tend to focus on their own production over helping every individual kid along and having the organization with a long term investment in these kids there to have their backs could be a difference.

Also a good way to breed a sense of loyalty and commitment to the CH.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
RDS rejoice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Front page tomorrow morning on le Journal de Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Headline tomorrow for the draft..

WELCOME TO MONTREAL HUDON
Minor mention of the rest.. Well Bozon is french
So? Did the “French” media went Hudon crazy like you (Anglo Saxons right?) predicted? Galchenyuk and Collberg received the biggest coverage imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Youtube compilations can make a Keith looks like a Wayne but this video is impressive (da shot!) nonetheless; thanks for sharing.

I hope to see him during the next U20 tournament.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:25 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
How does he compare to Desharnais when he was with the Sags? I know that for DD, there was talk about his poor skating and lack of foot speed as well as needing to improve his lower body strength. In the years since we signed him to an AHL contract, he's made huge strides in improving his lower body strength/skating/foot speed so hopefully Hudon can improve as he's got 2 years in the Q and likely a couple in the AHL to work on things.
I think Hudon is a better goal scorer than DD was.

Old
06-26-2012, 07:42 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
So? Did the “French” media went Hudon crazy like you (Anglo Saxons right?) predicted? Galchenyuk and Collberg received the biggest coverage imo.

Youtube compilations can make a Keith looks like a Wayne but this video is impressive (da shot!) nonetheless; thanks for sharing.

It was a joke because back in the 07 draft, we drafted a number of amazing prospects but RDS's headline read "BIENEVENUE A MONTREAL, OLIVIER FORTIER".

Old
06-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Bullsmith

The thing about DD has been his unbelievable determination. You can see it in the way he goes into the corners and to the net against anyone, from Chara on down, and you can also see it in the trajectory of his career- undrafted, sent to the ECHL where he pretty much had to go after the record book to get called up to the A. Then in the A he worked himself onto the top line. This guy has had to face and overcome adversity just to be a pro hockey player, much less an NHL top line center.

His skill set is one thing, and it's elite, but it's his character and drive that make DD an NHLer. Hudon will have to want it BAD to deserve a comparison to Desharnais.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:04 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post

sags season ticket holder here.

you have more chances to see him at the 2014 tournament.

now he grew up couple of inches last year if he takes couple more he'll have no size issues anymore.

lacks some speed, but has very good balance, and the best hockey sense seen here since Pierre-Marc bouchard. when confident and on his game he can turn a game around by himself. He had confident issues this year with too much pressure (they asked him to carry the offense with asselin) + injuries (a wrist injury he had for months).

He'll be a force for us next 2 years.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I think Hudon is a better goal scorer than DD was.
Good to hear although DD's bread and butter is his insane passing/vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
The thing about DD has been his unbelievable determination. You can see it in the way he goes into the corners and to the net against anyone, from Chara on down, and you can also see it in the trajectory of his career- undrafted, sent to the ECHL where he pretty much had to go after the record book to get called up to the A. Then in the A he worked himself onto the top line. This guy has had to face and overcome adversity just to be a pro hockey player, much less an NHL top line center.

His skill set is one thing, and it's elite, but it's his character and drive that make DD an NHLer. Hudon will have to want it BAD to deserve a comparison to Desharnais.
Nicely put. I discounted DD in his first year as a pro when he got a couple games with the Dogs as he didn't look very good but I learned real quick the following season to never discount him again. Personally I never understood the hate that DD has gotten by some around here since we signed him, I know that I will never underesitmate him again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
sags season ticket holder here.

you have more chances to see him at the 2014 tournament.

now he grew up couple of inches last year if he takes couple more he'll have no size issues anymore.

lacks some speed, but has very good balance, and the best hockey sense seen here since Pierre-Marc bouchard. when confident and on his game he can turn a game around by himself. He had confident issues this year with too much pressure (they asked him to carry the offense with asselin) + injuries (a wrist injury he had for months).

He'll be a force for us next 2 years.
It makes sense that he will have a better shot at the wjc's in 2014. Do you like Hudon more then Desharnais when he was a Sag?

Old
06-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

The more I read about him, better and better I feel about this pick. My first feelings were this was another Olivier Archambault pick but it looks like he's different.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
The more I read about him, better and better I feel about this pick. My first feelings were this was another Olivier Archambault pick but it looks like he's different.
I'm in the same place. I knew about him before the draft but I kind of soured on him as more of the same, but the more I thought about him the more I realized he's no Archambault. Seems a few guys I trust like Pronman are high on him too.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:59 PM
johnnyboo

Wow!! he looked real good out there today, can see why at one point he was considered a potential 1st rounder, hopefully we got a major steal with him

Old
08-09-2012, 02:09 PM
CanadienKid25

Agreed. He was arguably the best forward for Canada. Great offensive positioning and awareness is what I saw from him. Pretty good hands too. Too bad he couldn't get a goal

Old
08-09-2012, 02:18 PM
katatoniak

I'll go see him 4-5 times this year

Old
08-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Et le But

The more I see him, the more I like. Still a bit of a longshot, but he's good.

Old
08-09-2012, 04:34 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

Nicely put. I discounted DD in his first year as a pro when he got a couple games with the Dogs as he didn't look very good but I learned real quick the following season to never discount him again. Personally I never understood the hate that DD has gotten by some around here since we signed him, I know that I will never underesitmate him again.
5"6, not very fast and has a pretty weak shot.. Will become more expectable in the future and probably injury prone.. The guy got crushed hard a couple of times last season, I just cant see him survive in the NHL very long..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 08-09-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old
08-09-2012, 06:13 PM
HABS2DCUP

I'm really getting excited about Hudon, this is what his coach had to say about him:

Bartlett: Speaking with Canada Head Coach Steve Spott this AM, he said Charles Hudon "was a big steal for Montreal in the draft"

---
Montreals done a heck of a job the past 3 years in the fifth round: Gallagher, Dietz and now Hudon

Old
08-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Ubercron9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
5"6, not very fast and has a pretty weak shot.. Will become more expectable in the future and probably injury prone.. The guy got crushed hard a couple of times last season, I just cant see him survive in the NHL very long..
So?? Marchant got rolled over by subban. Haters gotta hate. You're being really pessimistic.

If he's careful he should be okay and have a great career. Gionta is an inch taller and look at how he turned out. Polar opposites ones a passer ones a goalscorer i know.

He can get 80 pts and I bet you'll still say he's too small and want to get rid of him. amazed at our fanbase.

Closed Thread