HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/5)

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
A guy who I knew nothing about who impressed me was Bardreau. He's not the biggest guy out there but he was a wrecking ball. He and Hartman together impressed me...they were fast, physical and got in on the forecheck. Everyone's said it already but the Biggs-Fogarty-Matteau line was very impressive, I hope they keep the chemistry and stick.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:30 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I thought it cool that in the last few minutes when it was 3-on-3 Fogarty was the lone US forward. His faceoff ability and defensive play were pretty impressive, IMO. Did not have a ton of that in HS...

One other quick point before I forget on Skjei's skating:

I agree with Ih8theislanders that Skjei had an iffy first period. He is extremely skilled at rushing the puck (really due to his skating) but he did cause a few turnovers by trying to force too much.

However, despite a few bumps, there was a sequence in the second that really screamed "wow, I understand why we drafted him". It was carbon copy of McDonagh.

The US left winger (forget who) had a lane to rush the puck up us along the left boards, but the other two forwards were changing. Skjei read the play perfectly, jumped up to catch the winger just inside the offensive blueline. He opened himself up in the high slot, stick drawn back, ready for a one timer. The winger recognized him and tried to force a pass but it was picked off.

This is what really impressed me: from 3ft inside the offensive blueline Skjei displayed a "McDonagh-like" burst of speed to get back and break up the Finns who were entering the US zone. And he did it with pure strength, shouldering a Finn from the side, knocking the puck free and sending the Finn flying off course. Just pure power and athletic ability.

08-08-2012, 10:45 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I thought it cool that in the last few minutes when it was 3-on-3 Fogarty was the lone US forward. His faceoff ability and defensive play were pretty impressive, IMO. Did not have a ton of that in HS...
love hearing that...really hope his improved defensive play and faceoff ability leads to some quality ice time as a freshman

Old
08-09-2012, 06:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Brady Skjei is essentially on the US WJC camp along with Seth Jones and Jacob Trouba. Those were the main guys with the U18 team. If Connor Murphy can remain healthy,he will be on the team too. Phil Housley needs to find out about the other guys. Mike Reilly will be there too. The last few spots are up for grabs. Two more defenseman from that U18 team are remaining in camp. Patrick Sieloff and Matt Grzelcyk. 5 D from the U18 were invited to the camp. They all made the roster cuts in this camp.

Quote:
Steven Fogarty — I thought Fogarty did solid work centering Team USA’s most effective line with Tyler Biggs and Stefan Matteau. Fogarty is showing that he is adjusting to the pace of this camp and making better decisions with the puck. He can really skate, especially for a guy at his size, and is showing more and more elements that could help him earn a spot in a bottom-six role for Team USA.
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...sa-vs-finland/

If Fogarty,Reilly and Mario Lucia make the US team in December,three Vees from the BCHL will be on the team.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:45 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Skjei and Miller are playing today against Sweden.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=864

Old
08-09-2012, 01:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jeff Gorton spoke to Jim Cerny. Gorton was at Lake Placid looking at the Rangers prospects

Quote:
"JT is looking at a bigger role this year," Gorton said of the Rangers top pick from the 2011 NHL Draft. "And hopefully he continues to bring that two-way game, adds some offense to that group--which we saw the first couple of days in Lake Placid---and just continues to get better."

Skjei, the Rangers first round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft, is one of eleven defensemen remaining at Team USA's evaluation camp. He is set to enter his Freshman year at The University of Minnesota.

"In Brady's case this is his first run at it, obviously just coming out of the draft," explained Gorton. "For him to make that team would be quite a story. He's played really well, and his skating has been really good."

Fogarty might be the least heralded of the three Rangers prospects vying for a spot on Team USA's roster simply because, unlike Miller and Skjei, he was not a first-round selection. Instead Fogarty, a smart and skilled forward, was chosen in the third round of the 2011 draft by the Blueshirts.
http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/1...for-these-kids

Old
08-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
The fact that Fogarty is getting PT with Matteau and Biggs is a good sign for his making the team.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:19 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The fact that Fogarty is getting PT with Matteau and Biggs is a good sign for his making the team.
and the line played well together...definitely adds hope that he is seriously in the mix for the final spots

Old
08-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Would certainly be a very tough line to play against.

Old
08-09-2012, 04:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its going to be a fun WJC to watch with so many Rangers prospects vying for spots on the USA roster.

Hopefully Nieves has a strong first half at Michigan and gets a late invite.

Old
08-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Biggs just signed an ELC with the Leafs. I'd imagine they'll still loan him out for the WJC's though.

Old
08-09-2012, 05:14 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Team USA beat Sweden 10-2 today.

Miller had a goal and an assist.

It's gonna be really tough to whittle down that roster...a ton of talent on the US this year.

Old
08-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Biggs just signed an ELC with the Leafs. I'd imagine they'll still loan him out for the WJC's though.
He'll be in Oshawa most likely.

Old
08-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Team USA beat Sweden 10-2 today.

Miller had a goal and an assist.

It's gonna be really tough to whittle down that roster...a ton of talent on the US this year.
Fogarty with a goal as well today.

Old
08-09-2012, 06:57 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Fogarty with a goal as well today.
Nah he didn't skate today. The boxscore accidentally had him listed for a time but it was Trocheck, who was also wearing Fogarty's #25.

Old
08-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Pizza

I'd love to have Biggs in our system.

Old
08-09-2012, 10:38 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'd love to have Biggs in our system.
It'd be nice, sure, but not at the expense of Miller.

RANGERS =
Old
08-09-2012, 11:56 PM
bulax17

Solid Interview on Rangers Prospects

Here's a pretty solid interview with an OHL expert on a number of Rangers prospects in that league including Miller, Thomas, Yogan and Ceresnak. Interesting to here the guy say Miller needs another year in Junior hockey: http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2012-ar...ock-otten.html

Old
08-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulax17 View Post
Here's a pretty solid interview with an OHL expert on a number of Rangers prospects in that league including Miller, Thomas, Yogan and Ceresnak. Interesting to here the guy say Miller needs another year in Junior hockey: http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2012-ar...ock-otten.html
He's right about Miller. Right now, Miller will have an underwhelming offering offensively at the pro level. He really does need a year to rack up points, confidence, hands, and instincts offensively.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:45 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
He's right about Miller. Right now, Miller will have an underwhelming offering offensively at the pro level. He really does need a year to rack up points, confidence, hands, and instincts offensively.
110% Agree.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
It'd be nice, sure, but not at the expense of Miller.
LOL, no way I swap those two. I'd just love to have Biggs in our depth chart at some point.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:03 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Couldn't agree more. I think Miller has become WAY TOO overrated on this board. Physically ready? Sure. But he's not ready mentally or skill-wise to take a regular shift at the NHL level.

I cringe when posters have him in their opening day lineups.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:14 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Couldn't agree more. I think Miller has become WAY TOO overrated on this board. Physically ready? Sure. But he's not ready mentally or skill-wise to take a regular shift at the NHL level.

I cringe when posters have him in their opening day lineups.
I disagree about not being mentally ready. His mental game is one of his biggest strengths. I could definitely see him stepping in to score 30-40 points and play a good physical & defensive game.

But in my opinion that is not best for his development. I think the best think for him would be to go back to the OHL to refine his offensive game and gain confidence.

What I expect to happen is that he is sent to the AHL.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jeff Gorton and Gordie Clark have said JT Miller's play in camp will determine where he plays next season. They would prefer Miller play in the AHL but the OHL is another option if Miller is not ready and needs a 2nd year of junior. NHL camp is supposed to open on September 21 which is 5-6 days later than usual. AHL camp usually opens a week after NHL camp opens but they will open within a few days of each other this season if there isn't a lockout in 5 weeks. I asked Mike Vellucci(Plymouth GM/Coach)in a chat two months about Miller and they expect him to play in Plymouth this coming season. The local Michigan paper hosted the chat.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:28 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Grant Sonier is in Lake Placid

Quote:
For Team USA, defenseman Seth Jones has long held the status of an elite prospect for the 2013 draft class. After an injury forced him out of last year's World Juniors, Jones will get another crack at it. So far at Lake Placid, he continues to show why he is talked about in the same breath with ballyhooed Halifax forward Nathan MacKinnon for 1st overall in 2013. Jones combines skating and size with talent and tons of effort. I believe he will lead a strong group of defenseman for the U.S. in Ufa. Jacob Trouba (Winnipeg Jets, 2012), Brady Skjei (New York Rangers, 2012) and Mike Reilly (Columbus Blue Jackets, 2011) will join Jones on the blue line.
Quote:
J.T. Miller (New York Rangers, 2011) wills his way around the ice and brings a great combination of skating, skill and work ethic.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...ss-lake-placid

Gordie Clark compared Miller to Mike Richards in terms of type of game played. Richards is the better offensive player. Poor mans Mike Richards. Ryan Kesler.

Closed Thread