HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

RNH+Jones for Myers+Enroth?

Old
08-09-2012, 02:04 PM
bullseyed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I would think that we'd have to see more coming back our way given the age differential between the two.
Yeah. That's why I said picks and prospects filling out. Something like a high pick or prospect with Leopold and a really late pick coming back with Gagner.

bullseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
No chance in hell they get Sekera for that. I'm only interested in trading him as part of a package for a bona-fide top line guy, and even then only if we have to. Sekera's a ****ing stud, so unless it's Sekera+ for on of Edmonton's big names, then no thanks. (And before anyone jumps on me, I know that Edmonton isn't going to trade those guys, so it's a moot point entirely).

Add that Sekera's contract is a huge steal right now...no. I would not trade Sekera for Gagner...rather wait, give Grigs/Girgs a couple years to develop, and hold on to Sekera.
What is Sekera so good at that makes him a "stud"? does he play 20+ minutes a night? is he a big time shot blocker? does he finish every check? play a lot of PK time? great PP QB? elite with his stick defensively? I just don't see it at all. He's not a bad defenseman, but he's average at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Myers = Calder
RNH= No Calder

Myers scored 48 points as a rookie dman and took a non playoff team to a division champion his rookie season. RNH was so good last year he led the Oilers to another #1 pick

Myers > RNH

Oiler fans were talking 2 days ago thinking they could get Myers for MPS and Gagner
So Myers > Crosby(No Calder + also led his team to a 29th overall finish)

It wasn't Oiler fans who made up this doozie

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:16 PM
bullseyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
What is Sekera so good at that makes him a "stud"? does he play 20+ minutes a night? is he a big time shot blocker? does he finish every check? play a lot of PK time? great PP QB? elite with his stick defensively? I just don't see it at all. He's not a bad defenseman, but he's average at best.
That is kind of what I think of Sekera. I hate him and want him off the Sabres. A lot of people, even professional sports analysts, seem to think he is the next Lindstrom or something though.

Sekera played a bit of PK time last year though, around 1:40 a game. He probably could play 20 minutes a night if he was on a team with weaker D depth than Buffalo.

bullseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:18 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Myers is a great young player, no doubt, but he has yet to repeat that kind of a season offensively and has followed up that rookie season with 37 and 23 points (albeit in 55 games which would be good for a 34 point pace over 82 games) respectively. I don't think that his value is as high now as it was 2 years ago. Young forwards like RNH usually see their production continue to trend upwards in their 2nd and 3rd seasons. While I'd be happy to have both guys on my team, IMO you are underselling RNH here.
Myers lost his partner (Tallinder) after his rookie year, causing Ruff to entirely change Myers' role. He struggled out of the gate his second season, but picked it up in the second half of the year. Fine, he was 20, it happens. Last year, again, he was a little slow out of the gate and got scratched for one game. He came back the next game and scored 2 goals, and went on a nice run before breaking his wrist in a fluke play, which he then nursed for the rest of the year (while also, at some point, sustaining damage to his knee that required minor off-season surgery). His game has been improving despite those hiccups though. His overall physicality is much better than his rookie year and will only continue to improve. On the stat sheet, it doesn't look like he's gotten better, but he has. If he stays healthy next year, I think it will be a huge year for him. A 6'8" d-man who can skate like he can, create offense like he can, is a special player and not easy to replace. (Our winning % with him in vs out of the line-up proves it.) I wouldn't trade him for anything right now, not even RNH. We have lots of young centers. I'd rather keep Myers and put my hope in the Grigs/CoHo/Ennis basket than trade Myers to fill a hole that we might be able to fill internally.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 02:18 PM
81Leafs50

This cannot end well.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:13 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Buffalo is not interested in RNH....they need a veteran Center.

I wouldnt be surpised if a side rumor surfaced of Buffalo using what they acquire and package them with other stuff in a deal for Stasny.
Rnh IS a veteran center. At 18
Seriously, there is no team in the league that would not be interested in Rnh. Including Buff so this statement of "fact" is rediculous.
That having been said the issue is what would they give up for him.
The truth is that there is almost no chance the Oil would trade any of the big four. You would have to be talking a young stud, with no question marks, #1 Dman to move any of them. Myers has potential but based on last years play I would not say he has no question marks. Not saying he wont be or is not good. Just saying he is not a guaranteed and that is the only thing that might make the Oil trade one of the 4.
Right or wrong that is the way the Oil brass would probably look at it.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:33 PM
tmack224

Cane we please stop the RNH and Myers talk? Neither team will trade them so whats the point... If a trade is made between these 2 teams its gonna be a lot smaller of a deal.

How about this for an Idea.

To Buffalo:
Gagner
Horcoff
Hartkinen

To Edmonton
Sekera
Leino
Adam

Buffalo can then trade one of Ennis, Gagner, or Hodgson in a deal for Bobby Ryan while the other 2 man the top 2 center spots and Horcoff can center the 3rd line. For all Edmonton fans asking about Sekera and how good he is just go over to the Sabres board. He was the most reliable defenseman most of the year for the Sabres and is still young and on a great contract.

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:38 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Cane we please stop the RNH and Myers talk? Neither team will trade them so whats the point... If a trade is made between these 2 teams its gonna be a lot smaller of a deal.

How about this for an Idea.

To Buffalo:
Gagner
Horcoff
Hartkinen

To Edmonton
Sekera
Leino
Adam

Buffalo can then trade one of Ennis, Gagner, or Hodgson in a deal for Bobby Ryan while the other 2 man the top 2 center spots and Horcoff can center the 3rd line. For all Edmonton fans asking about Sekera and how good he is just go over to the Sabres board. He was the most reliable defenseman most of the year for the Sabres and is still young and on a great contract.
Why in the world would the Sabres do this?

We need Sekera a helluva lot more than we need Gagner. Sekera is our shutdown defender whom we do NOT have a replacement coming up. (D-men take much longer to develop...just look at Sekera. Can't rely on McNabb or Pysyk to step in to Sekera's role that quickly.) Grigs and Girgs are coming up...yes this year might be rough, but I'd much rather wait until next year when almost certainly one of them (if not both) will be ready AND we'll still have Sekera back there. Add in that Leopold and Regehr are upcoming UFAs...we need to be keeping Sekera.

Horcoff/Leino is a bad contract exchange, although Horcoff's ends sooner.

Adam for Hartikainen is a wash.

The insistence on moving Sekera completely befuddles me. Zero interest in moving him for what is basically a band-aid--a young one, but still a band-aid.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I'm not sure that Gagner is a young star top six center as described in that article.....By that description it would be RNH or Eberle?
You do know that Gagner is only 22 years old right, and plays center (#2 to be precise)? You know, the kid that was picked 6th overall in the 2007 entry draft?

RNH is not involved in any way shape or form. Nor would Eberle be involved as he's a winger.

As an Edmontonian, and long-time Oiler fan, i'm telling you that this article screams Gagner and Magnus.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
Yeah. That's why I said picks and prospects filling out. Something like a high pick or prospect with Leopold and a really late pick coming back with Gagner.
Sounds good, what type of pick/prospect do you think is in play from Buffalo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Myers lost his partner (Tallinder) after his rookie year, causing Ruff to entirely change Myers' role. He struggled out of the gate his second season, but picked it up in the second half of the year. Fine, he was 20, it happens. Last year, again, he was a little slow out of the gate and got scratched for one game. He came back the next game and scored 2 goals, and went on a nice run before breaking his wrist in a fluke play, which he then nursed for the rest of the year (while also, at some point, sustaining damage to his knee that required minor off-season surgery). His game has been improving despite those hiccups though. His overall physicality is much better than his rookie year and will only continue to improve. On the stat sheet, it doesn't look like he's gotten better, but he has. If he stays healthy next year, I think it will be a huge year for him. A 6'8" d-man who can skate like he can, create offense like he can, is a special player and not easy to replace. (Our winning % with him in vs out of the line-up proves it.) I wouldn't trade him for anything right now, not even RNH. We have lots of young centers. I'd rather keep Myers and put my hope in the Grigs/CoHo/Ennis basket than trade Myers to fill a hole that we might be able to fill internally.
Fair enough, and TBH I wouldn't trade RNH for Myers either as much as we need that elusive #1 D.

08-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
You do know that Gagner is only 22 years old right, and plays center (#2 to be precise)? You know, the kid that was picked 6th overall in the 2007 entry draft?

RNH is not involved in any way shape or form. Nor would Eberle be involved as he's a winger.

As an Edmontonian, and long-time Oiler fan, i'm telling you that this article screams Gagner and Magnus.

That's why we don't want to take Gagner from you. It just wouldn't be right.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Sounds good, what type of pick/prospect do you think is in play from Buffalo?

Fair enough, and TBH I wouldn't trade RNH for Myers either as much as we need that elusive #1 D.
It just doesn't make sense from either point of view, sure RNH would be a great addition to our center corps, but we're opening a huge hole in our defense corps. If Edmonton traded away RNH, sure they add a good young defenseman, but Horcoff becomes their 2nd line center, makes no sense.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
It just doesn't make sense from either point of view, sure RNH would be a great addition to our center corps, but we're opening a huge hole in our defense corps. If Edmonton traded away RNH, sure they add a good young defenseman, but Horcoff becomes their 2nd line center, makes no sense.
Agreed, we've been lacking a true 1C for what seems like forever, I'd hate to give him up. That said Myers is a beast, and if he is finding his physical game that makes him all the more valuable.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Devereau

Quote:
Myers = Calder
RNH= No Calder

Myers scored 48 points as a rookie dman and took a non playoff team to a division champion his rookie season. RNH was so good last year he led the Oilers to another #1 pick

Myers > RNH

Oiler fans were talking 2 days ago thinking they could get Myers for MPS and Gagner
Yes, When Myers is on he controls the whole game with ease. Last year he was off a bit but thats what happens with a broken wrist.

Devereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:39 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
There is zero chance buffalo traded for Hemsky....he wouldn't make it through his first practice with the team. Regher would put a Hemsky shaped hole in the boards in the first 5 minutes. He truely hates the guy. He has said in interviews that he sees Hemsky as a dirty player (his oppinion, expressly stated) and that he holds a grudge against him for cheapshotting him when they were both young.
Hemsky is dirty?

Thats the first time I've ever heard or read anyone ever say that about Hemsky. Truly shocking.

It's also very weird that Regher said Hemsky is a dirty player yet Regher has hours of footage on youtube of him cheap shotting players and I'd say Hemsky appears in those videos probably 15 times.

Regher was EXTREMELY dirty against Hemsky, it was nuts.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Hemsky is dirty?

Thats the first time I've ever heard or read anyone ever say that about Hemsky. Truly shocking.

It's also very weird that Regher said Hemsky is a dirty player yet Regher has hours of footage on youtube of him cheap shotting players and I'd say Hemsky appears in those videos probably 15 times.

Regher was EXTREMELY dirty against Hemsky, it was nuts.
Yeah, it's pretty funny isn't it! It'd be like Lucic calling Miller dirty! That said who knows? Maybe Hemsky speared him to the junk for all we know?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:43 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty funny isn't it! It'd be like Lucic calling Miller dirty! That said who knows? Maybe Hemsky speared him to the junk for all we know?
It would probably something minor when they were breaking into the league and Regher has never let it go.

Regher saying Hemsky is dirty is equivalent to Kovalchuk saying Stajan is too Russian. It literally melts my brain. I would LOVE to see this interview.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I've never heard Regehr say anything about Hemsky being dirty. I've seen something about Regehr talking about respecting Hemsky's speed.

Edit - Found this from a few years ago -

Quote:
"He doesn't just have skill, and he's actually got a lot of speed," Regehr said. "A lot of people don't realize it, but he's a very quick guy, especially when he gets a chance to wind it up in his own end and come through the neutral zone.

"He's a tough guy to hit, and when you do get that opportunity as a defenceman, you want to take advantage of it," Regehr continued.

"He is a very large part of their offence, and if you can neutralize him in any way or make it as hard as possible on him, you're doing your job."
I've never, ever seen anything about Regehr's thoughts on Hemsky outside of expressed professional acknowledgement of the guy. Ever.

08-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Myers = Calder
RNH= No Calder

Myers > RNH

Andrew Raycroft, Steve Mason, and Barret Jackman won the Calder trophy. That must mean they are more valuable than RNH.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:16 PM
SDig14

Since RNH is untouchable and the Sabres have plenty of young centre depth to not need Gagner, I am not sure there is a deal to be made for a d-man.

Perhaps Gagner would have been of interest if the Sabres didn't go out and get Hodgson, but even then I am not sure.

Likely just Eklund trying to get some hits.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Since RNH is untouchable and the Sabres have plenty of young centre depth to not need Gagner, I am not sure there is a deal to be made for a d-man.

Perhaps Gagner would have been of interest if the Sabres didn't go out and get Hodgson, but even then I am not sure.

Likely just Eklund trying to get some hits.

The only way the Sabres trade for Gagner is if they have something else lined up where they trade him or Ennis or Hodgson for a #1 center like Stasney orGetzlaf.

What I could see....

Stafford (his uncle has worked for the Oilers for almost 30 years), Sekera, Adam for Eberle and another player

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
The only way the Sabres trade for Gagner is if they have something else lined up where they trade him or Ennis or Hodgson for a #1 center like Stasney orGetzlaf.

What I could see....

Stafford (his uncle has worked for the Oilers for almost 30 years), Sekera, Adam for Eberle and another player
Stafford's uncle no longer works for the Oil. And there is no bloody chance the Oil are dealing Eberle at this time.

It's much more likely to be something like Pardy for Belanger or the previously mentioned Gagner for Leopold-and-Adam type deals than something outlandish. Myers is too important to Buffalo and RNH is too important to Edmonton. Similarly, the Oil are not flipping young pieces out in quality for quantity deals at this point -- they're going to let the kids continue to percolate and develop. They have ZERO need to make a core move.

Gagner could very well be a transition guy for Buffalo if they've decided they need an experienced center since they're about to go into a season with a second year guy (Hodgson) and a converted LW entering only his third NHL season (Ennis) down the middle. Gagner's still young and while he's a little warty, there are parts of his game to like.

===========================================

As for the urinating match over RNH and Myers... people can stop. Now. It's silly and brings nothing to the thread.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Cool Hand Goof*

yeah get rnh right after getting cody , do they want to be small up the middle for life

not happening

Cool Hand Goof* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Because he was by far our best D-man last year. Both through the eye test (he made my "good" list almost every game last year, very few "bad" or "ugly") and the advanced stat test.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1195891

He's not flashy or anything. But he is the best defensive defenseman on the roster right now. He should get more time IMO, but blame Ruff. He's a guy you have to watch to see just how well he plays, his play doesn't easily translate into numbers. It took him a while to develop (and oddly, not into the offensive D-man we thought, though maybe there's still untapped potential there), but he can be a top pairing D-man in this league.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Jean Ralphio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I've never heard Regehr say anything about Hemsky being dirty. I've seen something about Regehr talking about respecting Hemsky's speed.

Edit - Found this from a few years ago -

I've never, ever seen anything about Regehr's thoughts on Hemsky outside of expressed professional acknowledgement of the guy. Ever.
There's an interview with Regehr on CBC After Hours from a few years ago where he acknowledged that he does indeed play Hemsky harder than he does other players. He mentions that it came about early in Hemsky's career, where he went to hit him into the boards, and Hemsky got his stick up. Since then, he made sure to finish the body at every opportunity on him. Unfortunately, I can't find the video.

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote