HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 03:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Most of what you said is true, but the way I see it:

3 years for Bachelors + 1 year CA program + 2 years work experience (mandatory in order to get your designation) = 6 years (usually 5 because CA students take night classes while working during their stage)

Then you factor in that:

- There is a Concordia final exam, and if you don't pass it, Concordia doesn't allow you to do the UFE (Uniform Final Exam), that's their way of keeping the pass rates incredibly high

- A lot of people fail the UFE

- In order to get a job with a CA firm, you need to network and sell yourself. It's really a cut throat industry, and you're in a service industry so you can't just be all about numbers, you need to be a good people's person.

Getting a CA is hard, I'm not even sure I'll make it. I'll let you know this September (I'll be doing recruitment, where we try to get an internship with a CA firm).
The way I see it for Engineering is you gotta take into account the harder cepep or prereqs too but i'll let it slide. What you'rre missing however is to be a true professional engineer you need 4(or 3, not sure) years of work experience after you graduate. So again, that 2 seems relatively light.

Either way, it's obvious a case can be made for both sides but I think I would find business easier.

Having done some business classes from JMSB, i'll say this much. I can read a business textbook in a day before exam and get B+, I actually did for Acco 220(it's basically financial and managerial put together and obviously the stuff of more detail is removed so in a way easier but more information) but it takes me a while to read a single chapter of an engineering book. So much ******** theory and crap, hate it. Whatever, either way, my argument is not a shot at business students, I actually intend to do an MBA when I'm done engineering. At end of the day, either are a smart career choice and my degree is like business and engineering put together anyway. I like business and if you guys make more, well more power to you right?

Old
08-08-2012, 05:53 PM
zoomzoom

has anyone taken Chem 208 last semester or so, how is it? still easy like couple of years ago, or its been changed?

Old
08-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin9110 View Post
has anyone taken Chem 208 last semester or so, how is it? still easy like couple of years ago, or its been changed?
Chem 208 is a joke.. you can study one day prior to the final and still get A+

Old
08-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I know someone who made 60K+ WHILE in school. (if they did 40 hours a week, they were accomodated for school and did less)...and yes, it's with a bank.

Engineers out of school make about 40-50k. It doesn't really go up 20K in 2 years. For the amount of work we do we get shafted pretty hard. The only benefit of my particular degree is I can end up doing a business related career quite easily but it's unlikely(to impossible) Business students would qualify for engineering. It really depends what field you go into. **** like accounting(lucky you) and finance do relatively well. If you get your CA which any accounting student should aspire to do, you'll be relatively better off. What makes it interesting is, 3 years of Business+1 year of CA grad(prep or classes, dunno)=4 years of school and a good salary. 4 years of engineering=less than a CA. Kind of what I mean by getting shafted a bit. I think even a M.Eng makes less than a CA but I could be wrong.

------------------------------------

I'm doing some JMSB classes actually, curious if anyone has ever taken MANA 300? I'm tempted to take it. It's 2 from BTM 480, BTM 430 and MANA 300.

BTM 430 – Enterprise Resource Planning and Information Technology Integration
BTM 480 - Project Management
MANA 300 - Entrepeneurship: Launching your own business

They all interest me and I think BTM 480 is a given but not sure on others.
CA students get 37-38k when they start and will need 2 years before reaching 50k and they get the shaft to. They work their butts off. Been a CA for 15 years and still working my butt off but now making a nice salary. Worth the wait and effort.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Most of what you said is true, but the way I see it:

3 years for Bachelors + 1 year CA program + 2 years work experience (mandatory in order to get your designation) = 6 years (usually 5 because CA students take night classes while working during their stage)

Then you factor in that:

- There is a Concordia final exam, and if you don't pass it, Concordia doesn't allow you to do the UFE (Uniform Final Exam), that's their way of keeping the pass rates incredibly high

- A lot of people fail the UFE

- In order to get a job with a CA firm, you need to network and sell yourself. It's really a cut throat industry, and you're in a service industry so you can't just be all about numbers, you need to be a good people's person.

Getting a CA is hard, I'm not even sure I'll make it. I'll let you know this September (I'll be doing recruitment, where we try to get an internship with a CA firm).
Good description of what it takes to become a CA. Good luck!

Old
08-08-2012, 10:24 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
CA students get 37-38k when they start and will need 2 years before reaching 50k and they get the shaft to. They work their butts off. Been a CA for 15 years and still working my butt off but now making a nice salary. Worth the wait and effort.
I find it hard to believe a CA grad makes 37-38k a year. You realize that's like 18$ an hour over a 40 hour week right? I realize you did it that way but I've seen job ads for internships paying 18 for undergrads in commerce.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:58 AM
prevail

Anyone willing to pass along a question bank or eisel questions for DESC 200?

My friend is taking it and even though I told it's a breeze she still wants re-assurance, worth a shot asking you guys since I didn't bother to keep mine.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Subban76

Quote:
I find it hard to believe a CA grad makes 37-38k a year. You realize that's like 18$ an hour over a 40 hour week right? I realize you did it that way but I've seen job ads for internships paying 18 for undergrads in commerce.
What do I know. I'm just a CA, associate of a major international accounting firm and highly involved in recruiting

CA recruituig is organized between all universities and the CA organization and the CA firms. It's once a year in the fall whit organized cocktails, firm tours and interviews. It's all organized and all firms agree to offer the same salary to all students (except the very rare and few who are exceptional talents will gt a little more), and that as been 37-38K for the past 3-4 years. I satrted at 28K 15 years ago.

It's now how I did it, it's the system, everyone does it. CAs are among the professionnals the most exploited in the first 2-3 years of their career. The salary gets adjusted quickly after that once you gain the experience.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:47 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
What do I know. I'm just a CA, associate of a major international accounting firm and highly involved in recruiting

CA recruituig is organized between all universities and the CA organization and the CA firms. It's once a year in the fall whit organized cocktails, firm tours and interviews. It's all organized and all firms agree to offer the same salary to all students (except the very rare and few who are exceptional talents will gt a little more), and that as been 37-38K for the past 3-4 years. I satrted at 28K 15 years ago.

It's now how I did it, it's the system, everyone does it. CAs are among the professionnals the most exploited in the first 2-3 years of their career. The salary gets adjusted quickly after that once you gain the experience.
I'm not calling you a liar or anything. I'm just saying I've seen internships for accounting undergrads at 20 per hour part time. Perhaps it's an anomaly, but I went based off that.

Based on what you're telling me it was clearly an out of ordinary occurrence that swayed my judgement.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Subban76

Quote:
I'm not calling you a liar or anything. I'm just saying I've seen internships for accounting undergrads at 20 per hour part time. Perhaps it's an anomaly, but I went based off that.

Based on what you're telling me it was clearly an out of ordinary occurrence that swayed my judgement.
Undergrads are not hired full time with a fixed yearly salary like CA students looking for a job. Their case is different. They are paid 20$ per hour about, yes, but no guaranteed job.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Undergrads are not hired full time with a fixed yearly salary like CA students looking for a job. Their case is different. They are paid 20$ per hour about, yes, but no guaranteed job.
Fair enough. If a CA makes 37-38k starting, how much does a regular undergrad accountant make starting?

Old
08-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:

I worked for a big 4 for 2 years (I'm not a CA) and I can attest to this. Not for the salary, but for the exploitation in the first few years. Kind of like it is for lawyers.

But after that, it looks like a good field to be in.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:

I have a question regarding those cocktails.. what should I talk about?? I have no work experience.. I'm a genius though.. is that enough to get a job in one of the BIG 4??

Old
08-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Batali Crocs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin9110 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Chem 208 is a joke.. you can study one day prior to the final and still get A+
Any recommended profs for that class or are they all easy like INTE290?

Old
08-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Fair enough. If a CA makes 37-38k starting, how much does a regular undergrad accountant make starting?
In a CA firm, undergrads are hired part time (summer jobs usually) and are paid 20$ per hour about.

When I say a CA makes 37-38K, I mean a CA student who completed is 3 years (BAA) and is ready to write the UFE (exam to become a CA). Technically, a CA as is title which implies passing the UFE and having 2 years of experience. So once a CA, you're probably looking at 50K, but that's after 6 years, 3 years for your BAA, 1 more for the CA program to be able to write the UFE + 2 years of working experience.

The CA route is particular and different then other professional fields.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
I have a question regarding those cocktails.. what should I talk about?? I have no work experience.. I'm a genius though.. is that enough to get a job in one of the BIG 4??
Where to start?

First, do you really want to go to a big 4? There's the big 4, then the nice medium size firms and than the small firms. They each are different in many ways, so choosing where you want to be should be your first question. I find that universities are biased towards the big 4 (many teachers are from there) and they do a louzy job of explaining what's out there and what's waiting for you guys.

Don't want to reveal where I work, but I'm not at a big 4, I'm in a big 6 (so I'm either at BDO or RCGT ). A nice International medium size firm, which is completely different than a big 4, in so many ways.

I recommend going to a few firm tours. Go to at least a small, a medium and a big one, just being there, you will feel a difference in the culture of the organizations. Working with 700 other people is very different than working with 200 (medium firms) or 50 (small firms).

Come up with your top 3 to 5 place you would like to go and concentrate on those firms. The more we see you, the more chances you have of being hired. I hire about 5 to 8 people at that time and we get over 400 applications, so yes, you have to stand out! A firm that sees you at the cocktail and at its firm tour will get to know you better.

No working experience is not a must, but definetly a plus. Students with experience than to do better when they start. Plus, if 2 individuals are equal in terms of competence on their CVs, the one with working experience will get the edge.

Firms are not looking for "accountants". We are in client service industry, so you need to have a nice personality also. Someone outgoing and friendly with good grades is more valuable to me than the accounting nerd with amazing grades and no personality.

I have to leave now, but I will write more later.

Cheers and good luck!

Old
08-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by impact forward View Post
Any recommended profs for that class or are they all easy like INTE290?
take it online

Old
08-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Prust Y U MAD Bruins*

Does the teachers let's you record their classes at HEC ?

I'm thinking of buying a digital voice recorder ...

Old
08-16-2012, 04:13 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Anyone here studies in Industrial Relations?

Old
08-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Price 89

Quote:
Where to start?

First, do you really want to go to a big 4? There's the big 4, then the nice medium size firms and than the small firms. They each are different in many ways, so choosing where you want to be should be your first question. I find that universities are biased towards the big 4 (many teachers are from there) and they do a louzy job of explaining what's out there and what's waiting for you guys.

Don't want to reveal where I work, but I'm not at a big 4, I'm in a big 6 (so I'm either at BDO or RCGT ). A nice International medium size firm, which is completely different than a big 4, in so many ways.

I recommend going to a few firm tours. Go to at least a small, a medium and a big one, just being there, you will feel a difference in the culture of the organizations. Working with 700 other people is very different than working with 200 (medium firms) or 50 (small firms).

Come up with your top 3 to 5 place you would like to go and concentrate on those firms. The more we see you, the more chances you have of being hired. I hire about 5 to 8 people at that time and we get over 400 applications, so yes, you have to stand out! A firm that sees you at the cocktail and at its firm tour will get to know you better.

No working experience is not a must, but definetly a plus. Students with experience than to do better when they start. Plus, if 2 individuals are equal in terms of competence on their CVs, the one with working experience will get the edge.

Firms are not looking for "accountants". We are in client service industry, so you need to have a nice personality also. Someone outgoing and friendly with good grades is more valuable to me than the accounting nerd with amazing grades and no personality.

I have to leave now, but I will write more later.

Cheers and good luck!

Quick question, I'm currently working at a small-medium sized CGA firm. I am going to get my bachelors at the end of the fall semester and i'm looking to get my CGA and a degree in public accounting. I was wondering if bigger firms hire students that would like to get their CGA and not the CA?

Thank you!

Old
08-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Hades

Is the session for independent students confirmed at UQAM? I should start in October if it is.

By the way, how's the gym over there? I like to workout so I hope it's nice and not too crowded.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:22 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

AFESPED voted against continuing of the strike.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prust Y U MAD Bruins View Post
Does the teachers let's you record their classes at HEC ?

I'm thinking of buying a digital voice recorder ...
Some don't, some just don't care. Last semester, one of my teacher forbid a student to do that, but many other students were recording with their iPhone and the teacher wasn't aware of.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Prust Y U MAD Bruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Some don't, some just don't care. Last semester, one of my teacher forbid a student to do that, but many other students were recording with their iPhone and the teacher wasn't aware of.
thanks!

Old
08-23-2012, 11:14 AM
InglewoodJack

Anyone going to JMSB frosh? I'm thinking of hitting up some of the events, except I know absolutely no one in business (except Coldplay ).

Closed Thread