HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eastern Conference Power Rankings Position #5

View Poll Results: Which team will you rank as the 5th best team in the East?
Carolina Hurricanes 77 54.23%
Philadelphia Flyers 56 39.44%
Pittsburgh Penguins 3 2.11%
Boston Bruins 4 2.82%
New York Rangers 2 1.41%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2012, 04:53 PM
  #51
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 26,876
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
I don't understand how people can vote us at 5th finishing behind carolina AND philly...

Also, with carolina the only SE team left to vote on..doesnt that make them 3rd automatically?

EDIT - and same with boston and 2nd

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:27 PM
  #52
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
....Under a different coach. How we played under Maurice is completely irrelevant because now the team plays an entirely different system.

Muller is the coach this year, not Maurice. Therefore, if you're going to try to predict how they do this year, looking at the sample under Muller would make much more sense than looking at the entire season.

I'm not saying we're a better team than anyone left, Philly is the only one that we even have a chance of being better than, but saying we won't compete for the division is pretty ridiculous.
Prove over the first 20-30 games that they can play well with those expectations and they can compete. Last we saw Carolina, they were playing for draft position for the last 60 or so games in the season. We see this kind of stuff from the Islanders all the time. Play well towards the end of the season when they have almost nothing to play for. Do it when it matters and then you can talk about winning the division or competing for a playoff spot. Right now, Carolina is a ton of hype and nothing to base it off of besides paper. Nothing against their team, but this is too high for them.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:35 PM
  #53
Lerb
Registered User
 
Lerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
I don't understand how people can vote us at 5th finishing behind carolina AND philly...

Also, with carolina the only SE team left to vote on..doesnt that make them 3rd automatically?

EDIT - and same with boston and 2nd
Power ranking, disregard division winners etc.

Lerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:38 PM
  #54
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,004
vCash: 2158
I voted Carolina.

Yes, Philly's defense is bad, but their offense will make up for it.

If you score 5 goals against their D and Bryzgalov, they will just score 6.

In the playoffs, that's a different story, but Carolina's defense is nothing special. At least they have Cam Ward, though.

__________________
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:39 PM
  #55
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeHat View Post
Canes getting super overrated here. Good team but not as good as the 3 teams voted below them.
Well there's that and I suppose everyone voting for them thinks there will be no 1st place team in the SE division and two 1st place teams from the Atlantic.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:50 PM
  #56
Lerb
Registered User
 
Lerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,301
vCash: 500
People that are freaking out saying "how can such and such person think that such and such team can be behind/ahead of blah blah!" It's a little silly.

Not everyone expected MTL to be close to last, no one expected us to be 1st or the Blues to be dominant or the Panthers to make the playoffs let alone winning the division and no one expected the Canes to be so dismal at the start of the season. It's a power ranking and that includes the intangibles too which can make certain "better" teams fall to a lower spot than where they SHOULD be at.

Lerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:57 PM
  #57
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie
 
Stephen Goalbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Prove over the first 20-30 games that they can play well with those expectations and they can compete. Last we saw Carolina, they were playing for draft position for the last 60 or so games in the season. We see this kind of stuff from the Islanders all the time. Play well towards the end of the season when they have almost nothing to play for. Do it when it matters and then you can talk about winning the division or competing for a playoff spot. Right now, Carolina is a ton of hype and nothing to base it off of besides paper. Nothing against their team, but this is too high for them.
Would you like me to prove that the Canes play well under Kirk Muller? Because I already have.

Would you like me to prove that the Canes improved their roster this offseason? Because I think that's pretty obvious.

Unless you possess insider knowledge that the Hurricanes plan on re-hiring Paul Maurice for the first third of the season that I am not aware of, your argument holds no water.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:01 PM
  #58
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
If you score 5 goals against their D and Bryzgalov, they will just score 6.
That's only true of the other team also has subpar goaltending and a weak defense. There's a reason why the Rangers were 6-0 against them in the regular season and the Devils picked them off easily in the playoffs.

No JVR. No Jagr. Meszaros likely gone until Dec./Jan. This team is not finishing 4th or 5th.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:21 PM
  #59
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,004
vCash: 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
That's only true of the other team also has subpar goaltending and a weak defense. There's a reason why the Rangers were 6-0 against them in the regular season and the Devils picked them off easily in the playoffs.

No JVR. No Jagr. Meszaros likely gone until Dec./Jan. This team is not finishing 4th or 5th.
Yeah, but all those teams who have good, if not great, defense are going to be voted higher than the Flyers. The Flyers will probably be everyone's vote at #4.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
  #60
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 26,876
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
People that are freaking out saying "how can such and such person think that such and such team can be behind/ahead of blah blah!" It's a little silly.

Not everyone expected MTL to be close to last, no one expected us to be 1st or the Blues to be dominant or the Panthers to make the playoffs let alone winning the division and no one expected the Canes to be so dismal at the start of the season. It's a power ranking and that includes the intangibles too which can make certain "better" teams fall to a lower spot than where they SHOULD be at.
I agree on no one expecting STL to be dominating the way they did but the other question marks were all reasonable. MTL was a bubble team at best, shouldnt have been a surprise they did horrible. Plenty of people thought the canes would do bad, They surely werent expected to be a powerhouse. As for florida, you can't really us that arguement. they missed the playoffs for a decade, People naturally assume they miss every year just out of whim and the team went through a complete overhaul later summer and lets be honest, that division title was more of a "we outclassed an extremely underachieving caps team" than anything else.


As for my claims in my last post, The reason behind it is

1) Just because the canes added J.Staal and Semin shouldn't make them contenders. It sure as hell shouldn't automatically put them in the league of the NYRs and PITs who finished #1 and #2 in points in the least last year.

2) We DESTROYED philly last year. 6-0 swept. We just added Rick Nash and most of the core roster is still intact and Philly just lost JVR, Jagr, Mezaros (achilies heel) and a few other banged up guys not to mention they're (very) injured captain.


So i would LOVE to hear someones analysis on how carolina or philly are equal to or better than us in any way at this time.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:32 PM
  #61
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 26,876
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
That's only true of the other team also has subpar goaltending and a weak defense. There's a reason why the Rangers were 6-0 against them in the regular season and the Devils picked them off easily in the playoffs.

No JVR. No Jagr. Meszaros likely gone until Dec./Jan. This team is not finishing 4th or 5th.
Meszaros will likely be gone much longer than that. 4 Months for that injury seems like the MINIMUM amount of time missed.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:44 PM
  #62
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Would you like me to prove that the Canes play well under Kirk Muller? Because I already have.

Would you like me to prove that the Canes improved their roster this offseason? Because I think that's pretty obvious.

Unless you possess insider knowledge that the Hurricanes plan on re-hiring Paul Maurice for the first third of the season that I am not aware of, your argument holds no water.
Yes, it does. The Canes did that with no pressure of making the playoffs. They were out of it for a long time. They were the worst team in the East for a while. They have a lot to prove except for winning meaningless games with nothing on the line. Let's see how they play when they have expectations and when they have to deal with being the team that everyone is thinking will make a big leap. I doubt it happens.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:18 PM
  #63
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 79,085
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Flyers here. Zero defense, zero goaltending.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
I still think there should be a section of people at MSG behind the visiting bench, in curly wigs, and dark rimmed glasses, calling themselves the Pidtophiles. - Zamboner
ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:24 PM
  #64
Lerb
Registered User
 
Lerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
I agree on no one expecting STL to be dominating the way they did but the other question marks were all reasonable. MTL was a bubble team at best, shouldnt have been a surprise they did horrible. Plenty of people thought the canes would do bad, They surely werent expected to be a powerhouse. As for florida, you can't really us that arguement. they missed the playoffs for a decade, People naturally assume they miss every year just out of whim and the team went through a complete overhaul later summer and lets be honest, that division title was more of a "we outclassed an extremely underachieving caps team" than anything else.


As for my claims in my last post, The reason behind it is

1) Just because the canes added J.Staal and Semin shouldn't make them contenders. It sure as hell shouldn't automatically put them in the league of the NYRs and PITs who finished #1 and #2 in points in the least last year.

2) We DESTROYED philly last year. 6-0 swept. We just added Rick Nash and most of the core roster is still intact and Philly just lost JVR, Jagr, Mezaros (achilies heel) and a few other banged up guys not to mention they're (very) injured captain.


So i would LOVE to hear someones analysis on how carolina or philly are equal to or better than us in any way at this time.
i would think there's no argument or well thought out argument for anyone being at the level of NYR and PIT like you said, after an addition of Nash and Kreider and with a healthy Crosby.

In regards to my rebuttal, all I said was that because of intangibles, teams bounce around and that lots of theoretically better teams fall in standings to the lesser teams and the lesser teams can exceed expectations. I realize that I threw examples around that were pretty thin in reasoning , cut me some slack . So the confusion for some people on how CAR is ending up in the top 5 is not necessarily a mistake although I personally don't agree with it Frankly, I haven't agreed with a single thing since the only sure thing: Isles failing again.

By this stage, everyone is picking the most fitting answer and so the justifications are really half ass

It would have been fun to have 3 or 4 tiers of teams in the power ranking instead of barely 3.... The fail-hards in TOR MTL NYI and the elites which are really only NYR and PIT so half a tier... and everyone else is in the middle which makes it painful but I guess that's why we're doing this

Lerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:28 PM
  #65
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie
 
Stephen Goalbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Yes, it does. The Canes did that with no pressure of making the playoffs. They were out of it for a long time. They were the worst team in the East for a while. They have a lot to prove except for winning meaningless games with nothing on the line. Let's see how they play when they have expectations and when they have to deal with being the team that everyone is thinking will make a big leap. I doubt it happens.
Well considering our top two centers and starting goaltender are Stanley Cup winners, I don't think think high pressure situations are going to present that big of a problem.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:56 PM
  #66
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Well considering our top two centers and starting goaltender are Stanley Cup winners, I don't think think high pressure situations are going to present that big of a problem.
That's cool, 3 players have done something. Your team signed Alex Semin, who plays when he wants to. There is a lot of pressure on him to perform to get a contract, but, he had the same situation last season in Washington and didn't do what he needed to do. Chances he does it in Carolina? About the same. Like I said. A lot of hype.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.