HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier battling Canucks for $ UPD: Awarded $6m by Arbitrator

Old
08-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStroker View Post
The real disgrace is that it took this long to pay it out.
Thank you, sense-talker.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:45 AM
archangel archangel

vCash: 50
what I can not figure out is why the current owners had to pay it out when the debt was incurred by the previous schmucks

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:55 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
what I can not figure out is why the current owners had to pay it out when the debt was incurred by the previous schmucks
They assumed all responsibilities. The new owners were either aware of it the whole time or didn't do a good enough job going through the financial info before buying.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:07 AM
billvanseattle

The only good news is that is coming out of Aqui weenie's pockets. Everything i hear or see tells me this guy is a spoiled rich *****.

Not that I don't despise mess as much as everyone else. great hockey player - except when he was here - but pretty much an ugly human being.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
The only good news is that is coming out of Aqui weenie's pockets. Everything i hear or see tells me this guy is a spoiled rich *****.

Not that I don't despise mess as much as everyone else. great hockey player - except when he was here - but pretty much an ugly human being.
You can say what you want about Mess when he was on the ice for the Nucks but this statement shows you know nothing about the man at all. I had the good fortune to meet him many times when he played for the Oilers. He was humble, generous and basically an all round good guy. He devoted a lot of time and effort to local charities. He treated fans that approached him with respect.
As for the money I cant imagine anyone of you that would leave 6Mill on the table if it was contractually yours. I think it is fair for you to blast his performance as a Canuck as he was not good then but if you start bashing the man you are making yourself look like a fool.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStroker View Post
I'm not too sure why Canuck fans are buttsore over all this. I just read some of the comments on this board and holy crap, talk about overreaction to this. Maybe instead of blaming/criticizing Messier over all this, they should direct their anger at the old managment for negotiating a clause like that in the first place. Does the current CBA even allow for clauses like this? I fail to see how Messier is at fault. It was in his contract and he is forcing them to honor it. The real disgrace is that it took this long to pay it out.
If you don't understand why Canucks fans might act slightly irrational when it comes to Messier you are best staying out of a conversation about him.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:25 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
If you don't understand why Canucks fans might act slightly irrational when it comes to Messier you are best staying out of a conversation about him.
Come on though, going from the story (Canucks didn't fulfill the contract to Messier) and going off on tangents attacking his character and that sort of thins is more than a bit irrational.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
You can say what you want about Mess when he was on the ice for the Nucks but this statement shows you know nothing about the man at all. I had the good fortune to meet him many times when he played for the Oilers. He was humble, generous and basically an all round good guy. He devoted a lot of time and effort to local charities. He treated fans that approached him with respect.
you're literally the only person in existence with that story, by the way. there are countless anecdotes of messier being the biggest **** of a hockey player known to man, and then yours which contradict those

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:28 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
you're literally the only person in existence with that story, by the way. there are countless anecdotes of messier being the biggest **** of a hockey player known to man, and then yours which contradict those
I can only go by my own experience and I have met him minimum 50 times.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:52 PM
LuckyDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
I can only go by my own experience and I have met him minimum 50 times.
Sure, he may have been good to Edmonton fans but everywhere else he went he was a dork. I guess you never saw the press where he went out of his way to get Roger Neilson fired as his coach in New York. That's something Gretzky was very careful never to do after he accidentally made some comments as a kid without realizing the consequences. Wayne did bad mouth Sather, but that was only after he was traded (he was kind to Ftorek and Keenan even after the mess they made on his teams). Messier did very similar things to Vancouver obviously, starting with getting the number 11.

LuckyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Come on though, going from the story (Canucks didn't fulfill the contract to Messier) and going off on tangents attacking his character and that sort of thins is more than a bit irrational.
Except those events occured BEFORE any talk of of monies owed to Messier. Events that left a memorable (highly negative) opinion of Messier.

Could a Liberal get voted in as a MP nowadays easily in Alberta (outside of Edmonton) without "The National Energy Program" being still in the minds of the average Albertan voter?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:35 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Im still thankful for Messier. We traded the highly overrated Linden for Bertuzzi, Mccabe(a Sedin). Where would we be without those assets? No Bertuzzi means no west coast era, no Mccabe possibly means no Sedin twins, no Bertuzz also means no Luongo and no cup run in 2011.

Thank God for Messier pushing Linden out. That was the greatest move our franchise has ever made and we are still benefiting all these years later.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:44 PM
ddawg1950

Greatest leader in all sports did not lead any of his teams to a single playoff position for the last ten years of his career.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
When you buy a sports team you take on the responsibility of paying the players. The Old owner doesn't pay the contracts for you. That would make absolutely no sense.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
The lack of character both on and off the ice he exhibited during his time in Vancouver deserves to be attacked. Mark Messier was a stain on the Canucks franchise and only after he finally left did the team improve.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:06 AM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post

I think you're right.

The old man Aquilini was a slum lord, owning a bunch of SROs on the Downtown Eastside, cited many times for health and building violations.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:07 AM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Im still thankful for Messier. We traded the highly overrated Linden for Bertuzzi, Mccabe(a Sedin). Where would we be without those assets? No Bertuzzi means no west coast era, no Mccabe possibly means no Sedin twins, no Bertuzz also means no Luongo and no cup run in 2011.

Thank God for Messier pushing Linden out. That was the greatest move our franchise has ever made and we are still benefiting all these years later.
Oh to be 13 again....

Old
08-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

This guy just wont stop haunting the Canucks. 2nd All time in points, and every Canuck fan wished he never played on the team.

Tyler Biggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Chubros

Messier sucks. /thread

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:51 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Yes of course, a few quips about a ********* on the internet is more than irrational. What was I thinking.

Old
08-09-2012, 05:53 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
When you buy a sports team you take on the responsibility of paying the players. The Old owner doesn't pay the contracts for you. That would make absolutely no sense.
When you buy ANY business you take on all liabilities.

Old
08-09-2012, 06:30 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
When you buy ANY business you take on all liabilities.
I remember when Murray Pezin sold the BC Lions for 1 dollar.

Of course, the new owner (Bill Comrie) had to pay about 300,000 in debts

Old
08-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Edler Revived

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
The lack of character both on and off the ice he exhibited during his time in Vancouver deserves to be attacked. Mark Messier was a stain on the Canucks franchise and only after he finally left did the team improve.
this is pure truth....

Edler Revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:31 AM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
In 1986, myself and some buddies went to Expo 86, and we're able to get into the Bavarian Beer Garden. As we were enjoying our beers, we noticed the table of guys and gals next to us had a huge pyramid of empty shot glasses going. It was Mark Messier, Glen Anderson and two other Oilers (all with gals).
We absolutely hated the Oilers, but something about seeing them live in person like that, ESP so soon after the season had concluded made us reach out and say hello. We were all kind of scared to do so, as Mess especially looked like he was an absolute a hole on the ice (he had clubbed Thomas Gradin over the head not too long before that).

Well, they were all so nice, ESP Messier. They went out of their way to be friendly to us, a bunch of nobody kids, too young to be in their in the first place.
Years later when he was a Canuck, we ran into him in the pouring rain on a weekday am in Yaletown. I said hello, half expecting he'd ignore me. Not only did he not, he stopped and struck up a conversation (as I was trying to save myself from getting soaked).

He sucked as a player for us, but my own personal experience leads me to believe he was a great guy. There is a lot to dislike from what we heard, ESP with the Linden fiasco, but, hockey aside, I think he was a class act. I also think he did a heck of a lot to turn Naslunds career around.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote