HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier battling Canucks for $ UPD: Awarded $6m by Arbitrator

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2012, 03:14 AM
  #426
Bougieman
Registered User
 
Bougieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStroker View Post
The real disgrace is that it took this long to pay it out.
Thank you, sense-talker.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:45 AM
  #427
archangel archangel
Registered User
 
archangel archangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,112
vCash: 50
what I can not figure out is why the current owners had to pay it out when the debt was incurred by the previous schmucks

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:55 AM
  #428
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
what I can not figure out is why the current owners had to pay it out when the debt was incurred by the previous schmucks
They assumed all responsibilities. The new owners were either aware of it the whole time or didn't do a good enough job going through the financial info before buying.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:07 AM
  #429
billvanseattle
Registered User
 
billvanseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bellingham
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
The only good news is that is coming out of Aqui weenie's pockets. Everything i hear or see tells me this guy is a spoiled rich *****.

Not that I don't despise mess as much as everyone else. great hockey player - except when he was here - but pretty much an ugly human being.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
  #430
vespa99
Registered User
 
vespa99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
The only good news is that is coming out of Aqui weenie's pockets. Everything i hear or see tells me this guy is a spoiled rich *****.

Not that I don't despise mess as much as everyone else. great hockey player - except when he was here - but pretty much an ugly human being.
You can say what you want about Mess when he was on the ice for the Nucks but this statement shows you know nothing about the man at all. I had the good fortune to meet him many times when he played for the Oilers. He was humble, generous and basically an all round good guy. He devoted a lot of time and effort to local charities. He treated fans that approached him with respect.
As for the money I cant imagine anyone of you that would leave 6Mill on the table if it was contractually yours. I think it is fair for you to blast his performance as a Canuck as he was not good then but if you start bashing the man you are making yourself look like a fool.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
  #431
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStroker View Post
I'm not too sure why Canuck fans are buttsore over all this. I just read some of the comments on this board and holy crap, talk about overreaction to this. Maybe instead of blaming/criticizing Messier over all this, they should direct their anger at the old managment for negotiating a clause like that in the first place. Does the current CBA even allow for clauses like this? I fail to see how Messier is at fault. It was in his contract and he is forcing them to honor it. The real disgrace is that it took this long to pay it out.
If you don't understand why Canucks fans might act slightly irrational when it comes to Messier you are best staying out of a conversation about him.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:25 PM
  #432
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
If you don't understand why Canucks fans might act slightly irrational when it comes to Messier you are best staying out of a conversation about him.
Come on though, going from the story (Canucks didn't fulfill the contract to Messier) and going off on tangents attacking his character and that sort of thins is more than a bit irrational.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:41 PM
  #433
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,912
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
You can say what you want about Mess when he was on the ice for the Nucks but this statement shows you know nothing about the man at all. I had the good fortune to meet him many times when he played for the Oilers. He was humble, generous and basically an all round good guy. He devoted a lot of time and effort to local charities. He treated fans that approached him with respect.
you're literally the only person in existence with that story, by the way. there are countless anecdotes of messier being the biggest **** of a hockey player known to man, and then yours which contradict those

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:28 PM
  #434
vespa99
Registered User
 
vespa99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
you're literally the only person in existence with that story, by the way. there are countless anecdotes of messier being the biggest **** of a hockey player known to man, and then yours which contradict those
I can only go by my own experience and I have met him minimum 50 times.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:52 PM
  #435
LuckyDay
Registered User
 
LuckyDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
I can only go by my own experience and I have met him minimum 50 times.
Sure, he may have been good to Edmonton fans but everywhere else he went he was a dork. I guess you never saw the press where he went out of his way to get Roger Neilson fired as his coach in New York. That's something Gretzky was very careful never to do after he accidentally made some comments as a kid without realizing the consequences. Wayne did bad mouth Sather, but that was only after he was traded (he was kind to Ftorek and Keenan even after the mess they made on his teams). Messier did very similar things to Vancouver obviously, starting with getting the number 11.

LuckyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:04 PM
  #436
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Come on though, going from the story (Canucks didn't fulfill the contract to Messier) and going off on tangents attacking his character and that sort of thins is more than a bit irrational.
Except those events occured BEFORE any talk of of monies owed to Messier. Events that left a memorable (highly negative) opinion of Messier.

Could a Liberal get voted in as a MP nowadays easily in Alberta (outside of Edmonton) without "The National Energy Program" being still in the minds of the average Albertan voter?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:35 PM
  #437
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
Im still thankful for Messier. We traded the highly overrated Linden for Bertuzzi, Mccabe(a Sedin). Where would we be without those assets? No Bertuzzi means no west coast era, no Mccabe possibly means no Sedin twins, no Bertuzz also means no Luongo and no cup run in 2011.

Thank God for Messier pushing Linden out. That was the greatest move our franchise has ever made and we are still benefiting all these years later.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:44 PM
  #438
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,668
vCash: 500
Greatest leader in all sports did not lead any of his teams to a single playoff position for the last ten years of his career.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:00 PM
  #439
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
what I can not figure out is why the current owners had to pay it out when the debt was incurred by the previous schmucks
When you buy a sports team you take on the responsibility of paying the players. The Old owner doesn't pay the contracts for you. That would make absolutely no sense.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:28 PM
  #440
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,563
vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Come on though, going from the story (Canucks didn't fulfill the contract to Messier) and going off on tangents attacking his character and that sort of thins is more than a bit irrational.
The lack of character both on and off the ice he exhibited during his time in Vancouver deserves to be attacked. Mark Messier was a stain on the Canucks franchise and only after he finally left did the team improve.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:06 AM
  #441
TheDiver*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
The only good news is that is coming out of Aqui weenie's pockets. Everything i hear or see tells me this guy is a spoiled rich *****.

Not that I don't despise mess as much as everyone else. great hockey player - except when he was here - but pretty much an ugly human being.
I think you're right.

The old man Aquilini was a slum lord, owning a bunch of SROs on the Downtown Eastside, cited many times for health and building violations.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 03:07 AM
  #442
TheDiver*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Im still thankful for Messier. We traded the highly overrated Linden for Bertuzzi, Mccabe(a Sedin). Where would we be without those assets? No Bertuzzi means no west coast era, no Mccabe possibly means no Sedin twins, no Bertuzz also means no Luongo and no cup run in 2011.

Thank God for Messier pushing Linden out. That was the greatest move our franchise has ever made and we are still benefiting all these years later.
Oh to be 13 again....

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:19 PM
  #443
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!
 
Tyler Biggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,130
vCash: 500
This guy just wont stop haunting the Canucks. 2nd All time in points, and every Canuck fan wished he never played on the team.

Tyler Biggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:22 PM
  #444
Chubros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Messier sucks. /thread

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:51 PM
  #445
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Come on though, going from the story (Canucks didn't fulfill the contract to Messier) and going off on tangents attacking his character and that sort of thins is more than a bit irrational.
Yes of course, a few quips about a ********* on the internet is more than irrational. What was I thinking.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:53 PM
  #446
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
When you buy a sports team you take on the responsibility of paying the players. The Old owner doesn't pay the contracts for you. That would make absolutely no sense.
When you buy ANY business you take on all liabilities.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:30 PM
  #447
TheDiver*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
When you buy ANY business you take on all liabilities.
I remember when Murray Pezin sold the BC Lions for 1 dollar.


Of course, the new owner (Bill Comrie) had to pay about 300,000 in debts

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:52 PM
  #448
Edler Revived
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: VAncouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
The lack of character both on and off the ice he exhibited during his time in Vancouver deserves to be attacked. Mark Messier was a stain on the Canucks franchise and only after he finally left did the team improve.
this is pure truth....

Edler Revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:31 AM
  #449
IComeInPeace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LA
Country: Canada
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
you're literally the only person in existence with that story, by the way. there are countless anecdotes of messier being the biggest **** of a hockey player known to man, and then yours which contradict those
In 1986, myself and some buddies went to Expo 86, and we're able to get into the Bavarian Beer Garden. As we were enjoying our beers, we noticed the table of guys and gals next to us had a huge pyramid of empty shot glasses going. It was Mark Messier, Glen Anderson and two other Oilers (all with gals).
We absolutely hated the Oilers, but something about seeing them live in person like that, ESP so soon after the season had concluded made us reach out and say hello. We were all kind of scared to do so, as Mess especially looked like he was an absolute a hole on the ice (he had clubbed Thomas Gradin over the head not too long before that).

Well, they were all so nice, ESP Messier. They went out of their way to be friendly to us, a bunch of nobody kids, too young to be in their in the first place.
Years later when he was a Canuck, we ran into him in the pouring rain on a weekday am in Yaletown. I said hello, half expecting he'd ignore me. Not only did he not, he stopped and struck up a conversation (as I was trying to save myself from getting soaked).

He sucked as a player for us, but my own personal experience leads me to believe he was a great guy. There is a lot to dislike from what we heard, ESP with the Linden fiasco, but, hockey aside, I think he was a class act. I also think he did a heck of a lot to turn Naslunds career around.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.