HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #17

View Poll Results: Who is our #17 prospect?
G Scott Stajcer 11 15.94%
G Cameron Talbot 7 10.14%
RW Thomas Spelling 20 28.99%
G Jason Missiaen 1 1.45%
LW Ryan Bourque 26 37.68%
D Peter Ceresnak 4 5.80%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers Prospect Poll: #17

Sam Noreau won round 16 and Jason Missiaen became the third straight goalie to be added to the poll.

Don't forget to write who should be added to the poll.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. LW Carl Hagelin
3. C J.T. Miller
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. RW Christian Thomas

SECOND TIER

6. RW Jesper Fast
7. D Brady Skjei
8. C Michael St. Croix
9. C Andrew Yogan
10. C Oscar Lindberg
11. C Steven Fogarty
12. C Cristoval Nieves
13. LW Marek Hrivik
14. RW Shane McColgan
15. D Calle Andersson

PROJECTS & SUSPECTS

16. D Samuel Noreau

Samuel Noreau
Defense
Born Jan 31 1993 -- Montreal, PQ
Height 6.05 -- Weight 223 -- Shoots R

2011-12 Baie-Comeau Drakkar QMJHL 58 5 12 17 92

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Voted for Thomas Spelling because it looks like he will be an 18 year old in the SEL, which would be a huge achievement.

Add Kyle Jean. He's big and has decent hands for a big guy. He might become a decent bottom-6 guy.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:16 AM
darko

Stajcer, add Jean I guess.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:50 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Spelling

Add Jean

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:55 AM
eco's bones

Stajcer. Parlett.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

This will be a close round. A lot of possible choices, and probably not a lot of votes.

Old
08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
NYR Viper

I went Bourque. If he can stay healthy he has the speed and tenacity to be a lower line player.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:03 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Bourque add Parlett

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:05 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Spelling. Add Jean.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Spelling. Add Hobbs.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:44 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Scott Stajcer. Add Blake Parlett.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Spelling. Add Hobbs.
Hobbs completed his 4 years of college & was not signed. I don't know if he'll be invited for a tryout, but he's an unrestricted free agent right now. I would think players the Rangers thought worthy of signing like Jean or Parlett would be considered more valuable.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Alien Valuating

Spelling, add Jean

Alien Valuating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Jxmarts

Spelling. He's intriguinging because he's shown marked improvement every year. It'll be interesting to see what he does at the next level.

I'm surprised Stajcer is getting more love than Missiaen. Missiaen actually had a pretty good year in the ECHL as a pro, while Stajcer has not been able to hold down a starting job in junior the last 2 years. Talbot is older, and he'll probably be the Rangers emergency call up & then move on next year as a minor league free agent (like Chad Johnson).

I would not totally dismiss Ceresnak. He has ideal size, and he had the 2nd best +/- rating from the regulars on his junior team. (Andrew Yogan was first.) You can't judge a defensive defanseman from his statsheet, but I haven't heard of anything that tells me he's not a prospect.

I don't think there's any hope for Ryan Bourque. He's not half the player his brother Chris was at his age, and Chris did not have concussion issues. Yet, Chris has never been more than a career minor leaguer.

Add Jean.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Spelling. He's intriguinging because he's shown marked improvement every year. It'll be interesting to see what he does at the next level.

I'm surprised Stajcer is getting more love than Missiaen. Missiaen actually had a pretty good year in the ECHL as a pro, while Stajcer has not been able to hold down a starting job in junior the last 2 years. Talbot is older, and he'll probably be the Rangers emergency call up & then move on next year as a minor league free agent (like Chad Johnson).

I would not totally dismiss Ceresnak. He has ideal size, and he had the 2nd best +/- rating from the regulars on his junior team. (Andrew Yogan was first.) You can't judge a defensive defanseman from his statsheet, but I haven't heard of anything that tells me he's not a prospect.

I don't think there's any hope for Ryan Bourque. He's not half the player his brother Chris was at his age, and Chris did not have concussion issues. Yet, Chris has never been more than a career minor leaguer.

Add Jean.
On Ceresnak, here's a scouting report written just recently:

Quote:
Adam: Peter Ceresnak's footwork was absolutely brutal when Rangers fans saw him at Traverse City. How far along has he come in that regard?

Brock:
Ceresnak still isn't a terrific skater. He's a pretty basic player. Definitely not flashy. He is relatively effective defensively though, but could stand to be more physical and use his size. At the OHL level, his skating doesn't hurt him a lot because he doesn't take a lot of chances with the puck, or in the defensive end. He's definitely a positional defender. But at the next level, the speed of the game would definitely eat him up if he doesn't make improvements in his mobility (and puck skill in his own end).

Adam: How well does he use his size?

Brock:
Not that well. He's not a consistently physical guy, which is disappointing considering the size advantage he has. As I said, he's more of a positional defender who's happy using his stick off the rush and in the corners. In order to take that next step as a stay at home guy, he'll definitely need to become more aggressive, as his offensive game isn't strong enough to carry him forward.
http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2012-ar...ock-otten.html

That pretty much echoes what I read throughout the year. He's a guy with good size, but he doesn't do anything particularly well. The more I think about it, the more I'd be inclined to take a guy like Blake Parlett, who has at least performed to some degree at the professional level. I don't know, I just don't see much of anything in Ceresnak. It's like he's a wussy Dan Maggio.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
From what I know, these are the guys left to potentially be added:

Steve Delisle
Kyle Jean
Randy McNaught
Jyri Niemi
Mikhail Pashnin
Blake Parlett
Jason Wilson

Technically, since he signed at age 22 and has only 52 NHL games, Zuccarello should have another year of prospect eligibility I think.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12300
Stajcer. Add Parlett.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Edge

Spelling based on the fact that's advancing at a faster pace than some of the other choices on this list.

Borque is a real question mark as a prospect at this point.

Ceresnak does not impress me at all. Never has. Not one time have I seen him and said "I can see this kid making it."

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Joey Bones

Bourque, can't believe that he is still there. Add Niemi

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:19 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Voted for Thomas Spelling because it looks like he will be an 18 year old in the SEL, which would be a huge achievement.

Add Kyle Jean. He's big and has decent hands for a big guy. He might become a decent bottom-6 guy.
This, except voted for Ceresnak.
Just IMO, but think Noreau Ceresnak + Spelling, while not locks, are more second tier.

Talbot and Kyle Jean look interesting, but we are starting to scrape the barrel.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Edge

I don't think any of these guys are second tier right now.

At this point it's Spelling, Bourque and Messiaen for me to round out the top 20.

I also think the second tier is way too big and generous.

The gap between Skjei and Andersson is insanely huge. The gap between Noreau and Andersson is tiny. The groupings need a serious revamp here.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:22 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Spelling

Add Jean
you spelled it right

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
On Ceresnak, here's a scouting report written just recently:

http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2012-ar...ock-otten.html

That pretty much echoes what I read throughout the year. He's a guy with good size, but he doesn't do anything particularly well. The more I think about it, the more I'd be inclined to take a guy like Blake Parlett, who has at least performed to some degree at the professional level. I don't know, I just don't see much of anything in Ceresnak. It's like he's a wussy Dan Maggio.

Thanks... I didn't vote for Ceresnak. I just said that I wasn't dismissing him until I saw more of him. We're scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point, so as long as a prospect hasn't completely flatlined, I try to hold out hope. But that scouting report doesn't sound positive.

Old
08-11-2012, 02:44 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Bourque, can't believe that he is still there. Add Niemi
Would we be as shocked over any other 5'9" 164 lb. forward who scored 6 goals & 14 points in 69 AHL games and has a history of concussions, if his name wasn't Bourque? He's obviously never going to be a top 6 forward in the NHL, and does anybody seriously believe he has the tools to be a grinder or defensive stalwart on the bottom 6?

Old
08-11-2012, 03:39 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
The reason Stajcer is getting love is because the reality of the situation is this: He had nowhere to play last season. His junior team didn't want him as they had other goalies willing and able to play, developing them for the future. The AHL was full (Johnson and Talbot) and he's not going to take an NHL spot. They roll over his contract in junior one more season by sending him there. The ECHL is not a place you want to play if you plan on making it to the pro's, even as a goalie. Junior hockey is better than the ECHL. Notice his numbers increase going from the QMJHL to the ECHL. The league isn't good. He'd have been better served in some European league. With Johnson gone, I'm expecting Stajcer to win the backup role outright on the Whale. Missiaen, while he has some potential, I don't see it being the same as Stajcer. I can see Stajcer being a back-up in the NHL, while Missiaen will I can see being an AHL goalie at his best.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote