HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you do for a living?

Old
08-09-2012, 05:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdanielkli View Post
Starting my first university year in September.
Aiming for a major in Accounting and minor in Management Information Systems.
Which school? Concordia? Cuz I believe MIS is now BTM.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
but do they lose their **** for ginger hair?

they do in china. just making sure for when i eventually go on vacation there
They'll wanna touch your hair, and they'll definitely wanna see your pubes, but I don't think they'll ever trust a ginger. Funny people.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Deaner

From 19 to 29, I was a treeplanter, having worked in Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and mostly BC. Did one helicopter-access job just outside of Carey Price's hometown of Anahim Lake, and hot-damn was it ever rocky there. One of the worst gigs of my career. Worked for 16 companies, planted 1.4 million trees - at an average spacing of 2.3 metres, that's the equivalent of planting a straight line from Montreal to the Saskatchewan/Alberta border. I always encourage everyone I talk about this with to use an extra square of toilet paper, on me. And I never worked more than 121 days in a year. All told, a fabulous lifestyle if you don't mind a meagre and filthy existence. Got to work outside, earn exactly what I put in to the job (piece-work) and saw so, so much of this beautiful, vast country. I stepped away when I ceased to have to inclination to bend over 2000-4000+ times a day.

I dabbled in professional Scrabble playing in my mid-20's (career earnings - 840$, thanks to 1st place finishes in Oshawa, Vancouver and Winnipeg) but was frustrated by how slowly my rating rose (and awed/intimidated by the encyclopaedic minds of the true experts). If I ever win the lottery, it's still a life-goal to memorize as much of the Scrabble dictionary as I can and earn an invite to the World Championships. In fact, two Montrealers have been the world champ!

I'm now feeding 40-some residence students at a small college within the greater University of Manitoba campus. I'd gone to chef school 8? years ago for life skills and to dominate potlucks, but never wanted to work in a restaurant. My current job is a wonderful happy medium, and now I get summers off!!! instead the cold part of the year off.

Deaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:20 PM
No Style Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaner View Post
From 19 to 29, I was a treeplanter, having worked in Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and mostly BC. Did one helicopter-access job just outside of Carey Price's hometown of Anahim Lake, and hot-damn was it ever rocky there. One of the worst gigs of my career. Worked for 16 companies, planted 1.4 million trees - at an average spacing of 2.3 metres, that's the equivalent of planting a straight line from Montreal to the Saskatchewan/Alberta border. I always encourage everyone I talk about this with to use an extra square of toilet paper, on me. And I never worked more than 121 days in a year. All told, a fabulous lifestyle if you don't mind a meagre and filthy existence. Got to work outside, earn exactly what I put in to the job (piece-work) and saw so, so much of this beautiful, vast country. I stepped away when I ceased to have to inclination to bend over 2000-4000+ times a day.

I dabbled in professional Scrabble playing in my mid-20's (career earnings - 840$, thanks to 1st place finishes in Oshawa, Vancouver and Winnipeg) but was frustrated by how slowly my rating rose (and awed/intimidated by the encyclopaedic minds of the true experts). If I ever win the lottery, it's still a life-goal to memorize as much of the Scrabble dictionary as I can and earn an invite to the World Championships. In fact, two Montrealers have been the world champ!

I'm now feeding 40-some residence students at a small college within the greater University of Manitoba campus. I'd gone to chef school 8? years ago for life skills and to dominate potlucks, but never wanted to work in a restaurant. My current job is a wonderful happy medium, and now I get summers off!!! instead the cold part of the year off.
cool story

No Style Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Great to see all the MDs in the crowd.

I'm in my first year of my fellowship in neonatology in Toronto. Presently on call at the NICU in Sunnybrook, and have a rare break to check HFBoards!

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:56 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
I'm a lawyer. Boooo I know... Although my cousin who's a hockey scout is trying to convince me to start an agency with him and become a player agent.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Asamu

I'm a High School English teacher. I always start my class with: "Did you watch the hockey game yesterday?" I should probably have said instead: "Did you count the powerplays in which we didn't score yesterday?"... Secondary 1-2-3-4-5 last year was very challenging.

I'm also a security guard in my spare time...which was also my summer job when I was studying. I recommend it to anyone who likes to read books and listen to the radio (planify+correct exams useful for teachers). However, most of the times you have to work night shifts. It's actually a good job if you want to start long distance courses: you can basically study while working.

Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:39 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Great to see all the MDs in the crowd.

I'm in my first year of my fellowship in neonatology in Toronto. Presently on call at the NICU in Sunnybrook, and have a rare break to check HFBoards!
NICUs are impressive. My son was born almost three months premature, but fortunately my wife's obstetrician at UNC hospital admitted her as soon as she started bleeding, with the result that she was given several rounds of corticosteroids and magnesium, and that my son has really had very few adverse effects of such an early birth. I will always be grateful to UNC for this. His birth was planned for second week of Feb (I forget the date, something like Feb 10th) 2010, and he came out Nov. 21 2009. Normally they keep them until their due date, but he was let out early (for good behavior ) on Jan 1, 2010, more than a month early.

He was so tiny, just over 1400 grams. The size of trout. Obstetrics have come a long way, and I'm thankful.

One day, I'd like to pay it back, and develop an obstetrics simulator based on a pair of haptic gloves.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:49 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Unemployed, not in CGEP.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:50 PM
BobbyFischer*

I honestly hate all of you...

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:51 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Unemployed, not in CGEP.
Except you.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:55 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Bobby, you've still got 60 years or so to live, and choices you can make, especially in Montreal where university education is cheap. Don't take my word for it: listen to Jack Palance, and if that doesn't do it, pick up a book or dvd from Anthony Robbins. Take off the blinders.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
small or large scale?
It all depends, but small scale I guess. I'm responsible for the whole production and I can only freeze +-200 litres per day with my 8 litre Taylor machine.
I work for Les Givrés on St Denis BTW (Yeah that's an ad, I can guarantee the quality though!)

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:29 PM
yoteshot

Read a lot, might as well join in.

I'm 21, I just finished my bachelor's degree in Law (Sherbrooke) and I'm starting my 2nd cycle diploma (does that even make sense in English? "Diplôme de 2e cycle" in notarial law, well, to become a notary. I got 2 semesters to go, and then an 8 month internship before being accredited by the "Chambre des notaires".

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:35 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

vCash: 204
Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Which school? Concordia? Cuz I believe MIS is now BTM.
University of Alberta , Edmonton ):

dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 11:38 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Except you.
That's cause I know how you feel.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:00 AM
schumway2

Senior theoretical particle physicist at Cal-tech focusing on M theory (or in laymen terms String theory).

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:19 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
Senior theoretical particle physicist at Cal-tech focusing on M theory (or in laymen terms String theory).
Is that you Sheldon from Big Bang Theory?

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:02 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaner View Post
Sometimes, when I have stared into the laptop looking for an answer for 12 straight hours having had too much coffee, I wish I was doing something like that instead.
Really cool story!

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:55 AM
euphrates

i`m a cook at a retirement home with 450 people living in it !

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:45 AM
BLONG7

Manager of 2 Drug stores...(retail )

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I don't know how old you are but it's never too late, pick something you like and go for it. No one will come knocking at your door to offer you something

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
bipolarhabfan

I have just gotten my teaching certificate this past April. Right now, I am looking for work in the public school system, hopefully teaching anywhere from grade 2 to 5!

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Lshap

I'm lovin' the stories of the Far East and the exploits of the science geeks. It's amazing what some of you have accomplished during the off-season.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Lshap

I have a small design & marketing company. I create the graphics, marketing crap, websites and commercial writing for a wide range of companies and organizations. The working hours are mostly great -- I get to choose which 60 hours a week I work -- but when it's not too busy I can go for lunch, go for a run, play guitar, take a nap, waste my time on HF, or watch four seasons of Breaking Bad in two weeks (as a purely hypothetical example).

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote