HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012 Canada-Russia Challenge

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-10-2012, 12:29 PM
  #276
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,161
vCash: 500
Well that's game 2 in the books 6-3 for Russia now it comes back to Canada for games 3 and 4, all tied up 1-1 in the series...... next game

Game 3 – Monday, Aug. 13
LIVE on TSN/RDS – 6:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. PT
TSN Mobile TV | TSN Radio 1050 | TSN Radio 1290 | TSN Radio 990

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...11/la_id/1.htm

Budsfan is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 12:38 PM
  #277
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,507
vCash: 500
I will be missing the next two games because I'll be going on a trip. Hopefully Rielly gets more ice time and continues to produce. More importantly, I hope Canada kicks Russia's ass.

Kulemon is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 12:44 PM
  #278
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I will be missing the next two games because I'll be going on a trip. Hopefully Rielly gets more ice time and continues to produce. More importantly, I hope Canada kicks Russia's ass.
Rielly will improve his game, he is a thinking player and he makes great passes and can also add a little offense.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=402817

Quote:
Morgan Reilly tipped it in to bring Canada within one in the third but about two minutes later Maxim Shalunov extended Russia's lead.

Budsfan is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 12:45 PM
  #279
tpc77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Mackinnon has been on the radar for a long time and when that happens, the players weaknesses begin to get more and more obvious. Teams are going to start to hesitate on Mackinnon because his defensive game which is not good.
No, this kid will be going #1.

I watched him play a lot last year and caught almost all of their playoff home games live last season. He has natural abilities that only come along on the rare occasion.

As for your argument, I'm not sure where you are going with that? This kid has been on the radar for years. Looked amazing in the Canada Games, had a great year in the Q and led the Mooseheads to the Semi's which was far from expected by that team.

As for his defensive issues....first of all it's not that bad. Just because a guy is smallish and skilled doesn't mean he isn't good defensively.

Not to mention he only turns 17 in September. He looked dominant all year and led a Q team in the playoffs with 28 points in 17GP as a 16 year old.

Monahan is a good player, but don't kid yourself, Mackinnon will be the #1 barring injuries.

tpc77 is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 01:21 PM
  #280
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 30,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
But Rielly slapped his stick on the ice.
nice.

zeke is online now  
Old
08-10-2012, 01:29 PM
  #281
Guy Boucher
Registered User
 
Guy Boucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,595
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpc77 View Post
No, this kid will be going #1.

I watched him play a lot last year and caught almost all of their playoff home games live last season. He has natural abilities that only come along on the rare occasion.

As for your argument, I'm not sure where you are going with that? This kid has been on the radar for years. Looked amazing in the Canada Games, had a great year in the Q and led the Mooseheads to the Semi's which was far from expected by that team.

As for his defensive issues....first of all it's not that bad. Just because a guy is smallish and skilled doesn't mean he isn't good defensively.

Not to mention he only turns 17 in September. He looked dominant all year and led a Q team in the playoffs with 28 points in 17GP as a 16 year old.

Monahan is a good player, but don't kid yourself, Mackinnon will be the #1 barring injuries.
What I meant is that, when a player is on the radar for a long time, his weaknesses become more apparent than that of other players. Scouts begin to nitpick his weaknesses. The same thing happened to Couturier and happens to many players.

In terms of his defensive game, there's no doubt that it is very weak. It can be improved, but right now, it well below average compared to the other top-5 to 8 potential first rounders.

Guy Boucher is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 01:31 PM
  #282
Mr Lahey*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Great North
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,295
vCash: 500
From the stats it looks like Rielly has been one of our better D. But how has he actually looked on the ice?

Mr Lahey* is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 01:43 PM
  #283
thatshype
Registered User
 
thatshype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
What I meant is that, when a player is on the radar for a long time, his weaknesses become more apparent than that of other players. Scouts begin to nitpick his weaknesses. The same thing happened to Couturier and happens to many players.

In terms of his defensive game, there's no doubt that it is very weak. It can be improved, but right now, it well below average compared to the other top-5 to 8 potential first rounders.
Yea, I still think Couturier slipping to #8 was a big mistake. There was definitely alot of noteworthy prospects picked that year, but I'm still surprised that Larsson and Couturier slipped out of the top 3.

thatshype is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 02:14 PM
  #284
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,161
vCash: 500
TSN recap for those that missed it

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip737214

Budsfan is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 02:18 PM
  #285
Liminality
Registered User
 
Liminality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleSmedsmosStache View Post
From the stats it looks like Rielly has been one of our better D. But how has he actually looked on the ice?
I didn't catch the 2nd game but the first game I thought he looked pretty good defensively (besides the give away late in the game) and showed bursts of nice offensive instincts with his passing.

His two biggest strengths to me were his skating and vision on the ice. He came as advertised and has good maneuverability showing he can avoid forecheckers on the ice by just his skating. Not sure how strong he is but he didn't have to use his strength too much. The assist the first game was nothing and was just a simple point from the powerplay. He did show some Kaberle (pre Cam) esqe passes up the middle creating a couple of break aways but the forwards couldn't finish.

He just looks like a smart player on the ice when he plays, defensively and offensively.

Liminality is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 02:21 PM
  #286
Small Brain Presence
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
The fans will absolutely crucify Dougie in Boston if he plays that non-physically (if that's a word).

Small Brain Presence is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 02:28 PM
  #287
tpc77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
What I meant is that, when a player is on the radar for a long time, his weaknesses become more apparent than that of other players. Scouts begin to nitpick his weaknesses. The same thing happened to Couturier and happens to many players.

In terms of his defensive game, there's no doubt that it is very weak. It can be improved, but right now, it well below average compared to the other top-5 to 8 potential first rounders.
Yes, that's what I thought you meant and it's a BS excuse IMO.

There are manyyyyy top players over the years who have been "on the radar" for a longgg time and they still went #1.


As for his D game, ya........I know it's a crazy thing that a 16 year old rookie playing against 18-20 year olds can look weak in his own end at times

However, give the +/- stat whatever credit you want, but he was 2nd on his team last year with that stat in the regular season and 1st on his team in the playoffs. That's once again pretty good for a 16 year old.

Seriously though, scouts picking at #1 don't give a rats ass if he looks weak defensively at times. He is supposed to at 16, so did Crosby.
As for your claim that he is below average for the other top prospects.... come off it, it just seems like you are digging for reasons to go against the grain.

Neither you or I have watched all of these kids enough to make a fair judgement on that.....



So in conclusion.... 16 year old leads team in points in reg season and 2nd in +/-.

16 year old leads team in points and +/- for the playoffs and leads his team to the Semi's.

He finishes in 4th for playoff scoring for the Q and only loses to 4 St.John Sea Dogs who absolutely racked up points smoking teams 10-1 for the first 2-3 rounds.


On top of it, if you watch this kid he has skating and acceleration that is second to none, and top it all off with solid hands and vision.
Oh ya, and he is one of the youngest in his draft class as well.


I think you need to learn more about this guy before saying he won't be going #1.

tpc77 is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 02:52 PM
  #288
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy
 
TheNorthFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Can anyone sum up Rielly's game for me in a nutshell?

TheNorthFace is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 03:00 PM
  #289
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Can anyone sum up Rielly's game for me in a nutshell?
limited ice time, not even much on the PP. when he did play, he was pretty safe tonight. usually just carry up, deke the first forechecker, and make a short pass into the neutral zone. he did make 1 rush in the third and ended up scoring a goal. kid can fly. he did look a bit confused on the goal russia scored just after his. he and harrington didn't really communicate and just kept backing up too far. easily our 2nd best dman behind murray in the tournament so far though.

i like he and dumba paired together

murray - harrington
rielly - dumba
hamilton - ceci

is what i would go with

maplehawk is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 03:06 PM
  #290
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy
 
TheNorthFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
limited ice time, not even much on the PP. when he did play, he was pretty safe tonight. usually just carry up, deke the first forechecker, and make a short pass into the neutral zone. he did make 1 rush in the third and ended up scoring a goal. kid can fly. he did look a bit confused on the goal russia scored just after his. he and harrington didn't really communicate and just kept backing up too far. easily our 2nd best dman behind murray in the tournament so far though.

i like he and dumba paired together

murray - harrington
rielly - dumba
hamilton - ceci

is what i would go with
Thanks a lot man. I really liked him paired with Dumba yesterday too.

TheNorthFace is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 03:06 PM
  #291
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,041
vCash: 0
Was Rielly better in game 1 or 2 or equal?

Reason I ask is because with that prospect development camp I remember everyone saying how great Rielly looked after the first say but then he kind of tapered off during the rest of the days, he was still good just not as good/noticeable.

Grant is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 03:10 PM
  #292
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Brain Presence View Post
The fans will absolutely crucify Dougie in Boston if he plays that non-physically (if that's a word).
Yeah, I'll admit I had never seen him play before these last two games but he really doesn't look THAT good. From the hype I've been hearing I expected him to be noticeably at a level above the other defenders, but he definitely wasn't.

Looks like Cody Franson 2.0, maybe a bit more aware.

Dangles McGavin is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 03:20 PM
  #293
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,041
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Yeah, I'll admit I had never seen him play before these last two games but he really doesn't look THAT good. From the hype I've been hearing I expected him to be noticeably at a level above the other defenders, but he definitely wasn't.

Looks like Cody Franson 2.0, maybe a bit more aware.
I feel the same way. I had never seen him play prior to the Knights vs Ice Dog series these past playoffs in the OHL and Hamilton was alright but wasn't at all a standout like people seem to make him out to be. I was expecting to hear his name every half minute or so but it wasn't the case.

Grant is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 03:26 PM
  #294
Pyromaniac3
Registered User
 
Pyromaniac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: India
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Thanks a lot man. I really liked him paired with Dumba yesterday too.
Good to know that he can be paired with a physical guy like Dumba who plays like Phaneuf.

Pyromaniac3 is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 03:31 PM
  #295
MapleLeafs9
LOL vv
 
MapleLeafs9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,265
vCash: 142
Morgan Rielly with 1 goal, 1 assist in 2 games so far.

MapleLeafs9 is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 03:37 PM
  #296
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP
 
Wolfgang Krauser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Make no mistake, Hamilton is going to be a stud player. Let's just hope Reilly is better

Canada's D alone should hold them off to Victory every game, but there has been some serious miscommunication these games, which is understandable considering they never played with each other.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 03:49 PM
  #297
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Was Rielly better in game 1 or 2 or equal?

Reason I ask is because with that prospect development camp I remember everyone saying how great Rielly looked after the first say but then he kind of tapered off during the rest of the days, he was still good just not as good/noticeable.
Who said he tapered off? I don't recall one person saying that, in fact he looked great everyday as a recall.

SteveV* is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 05:36 PM
  #298
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 5,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Yeah, I'll admit I had never seen him play before these last two games but he really doesn't look THAT good. From the hype I've been hearing I expected him to be noticeably at a level above the other defenders, but he definitely wasn't.

Looks like Cody Franson 2.0, maybe a bit more aware.
I thought I was the only one, these two games have been my only exposure to Dougie "The God" Hamilton and man was I underwhelmed. I watch him play and all I see is Franson, average skater, decent offensive and defensive instincts, soft for his size and makes questionable decisions some times. Has all the tools, but can't put them together.

Hamilton has been massively overrated, to the point where people watching him for the first time say " He's good, but he's not dominating like he should be. "

FishManSam is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 05:46 PM
  #299
Guy Boucher
Registered User
 
Guy Boucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,595
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpc77 View Post
Yes, that's what I thought you meant and it's a BS excuse IMO.

There are manyyyyy top players over the years who have been "on the radar" for a longgg time and they still went #1.


As for his D game, ya........I know it's a crazy thing that a 16 year old rookie playing against 18-20 year olds can look weak in his own end at times

However, give the +/- stat whatever credit you want, but he was 2nd on his team last year with that stat in the regular season and 1st on his team in the playoffs. That's once again pretty good for a 16 year old.

Seriously though, scouts picking at #1 don't give a rats ass if he looks weak defensively at times. He is supposed to at 16, so did Crosby.
As for your claim that he is below average for the other top prospects.... come off it, it just seems like you are digging for reasons to go against the grain.

Neither you or I have watched all of these kids enough to make a fair judgement on that.....



So in conclusion.... 16 year old leads team in points in reg season and 2nd in +/-.

16 year old leads team in points and +/- for the playoffs and leads his team to the Semi's.

He finishes in 4th for playoff scoring for the Q and only loses to 4 St.John Sea Dogs who absolutely racked up points smoking teams 10-1 for the first 2-3 rounds.


On top of it, if you watch this kid he has skating and acceleration that is second to none, and top it all off with solid hands and vision.
Oh ya, and he is one of the youngest in his draft class as well.


I think you need to learn more about this guy before saying he won't be going #1.
You certainly have a spirited opinion for someone who readily admits to not having watched him very much.

Guy Boucher is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 05:53 PM
  #300
dubey
So hot right now
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hackey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Yeah, I'll admit I had never seen him play before these last two games but he really doesn't look THAT good. From the hype I've been hearing I expected him to be noticeably at a level above the other defenders, but he definitely wasn't.

Looks like Cody Franson 2.0, maybe a bit more aware.
It's rare to ever find an honest assessment of a prospect on HFBoards

dubey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.