HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012 Canada-Russia Challenge

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Budsfan

vCash: 500
Well that's game 2 in the books 6-3 for Russia now it comes back to Canada for games 3 and 4, all tied up 1-1 in the series...... next game

Game 3 – Monday, Aug. 13
LIVE on TSN/RDS – 6:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. PT
TSN Mobile TV | TSN Radio 1050 | TSN Radio 1290 | TSN Radio 990

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...11/la_id/1.htm

Old
08-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Kulemon

I will be missing the next two games because I'll be going on a trip. Hopefully Rielly gets more ice time and continues to produce. More importantly, I hope Canada kicks Russia's ass.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I will be missing the next two games because I'll be going on a trip. Hopefully Rielly gets more ice time and continues to produce. More importantly, I hope Canada kicks Russia's ass.
Rielly will improve his game, he is a thinking player and he makes great passes and can also add a little offense.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=402817

Quote:
Morgan Reilly tipped it in to bring Canada within one in the third but about two minutes later Maxim Shalunov extended Russia's lead.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:45 PM
tpc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Mackinnon has been on the radar for a long time and when that happens, the players weaknesses begin to get more and more obvious. Teams are going to start to hesitate on Mackinnon because his defensive game which is not good.
No, this kid will be going #1.

I watched him play a lot last year and caught almost all of their playoff home games live last season. He has natural abilities that only come along on the rare occasion.

As for your argument, I'm not sure where you are going with that? This kid has been on the radar for years. Looked amazing in the Canada Games, had a great year in the Q and led the Mooseheads to the Semi's which was far from expected by that team.

As for his defensive issues....first of all it's not that bad. Just because a guy is smallish and skilled doesn't mean he isn't good defensively.

Not to mention he only turns 17 in September. He looked dominant all year and led a Q team in the playoffs with 28 points in 17GP as a 16 year old.

Monahan is a good player, but don't kid yourself, Mackinnon will be the #1 barring injuries.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:21 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
But Rielly slapped his stick on the ice.
nice.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpc77 View Post
No, this kid will be going #1.

I watched him play a lot last year and caught almost all of their playoff home games live last season. He has natural abilities that only come along on the rare occasion.

As for your argument, I'm not sure where you are going with that? This kid has been on the radar for years. Looked amazing in the Canada Games, had a great year in the Q and led the Mooseheads to the Semi's which was far from expected by that team.

As for his defensive issues....first of all it's not that bad. Just because a guy is smallish and skilled doesn't mean he isn't good defensively.

Not to mention he only turns 17 in September. He looked dominant all year and led a Q team in the playoffs with 28 points in 17GP as a 16 year old.

Monahan is a good player, but don't kid yourself, Mackinnon will be the #1 barring injuries.
What I meant is that, when a player is on the radar for a long time, his weaknesses become more apparent than that of other players. Scouts begin to nitpick his weaknesses. The same thing happened to Couturier and happens to many players.

In terms of his defensive game, there's no doubt that it is very weak. It can be improved, but right now, it well below average compared to the other top-5 to 8 potential first rounders.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Mr Lahey*

From the stats it looks like Rielly has been one of our better D. But how has he actually looked on the ice?

Old
08-10-2012, 01:43 PM
thatshype

Quote:
What I meant is that, when a player is on the radar for a long time, his weaknesses become more apparent than that of other players. Scouts begin to nitpick his weaknesses. The same thing happened to Couturier and happens to many players.

In terms of his defensive game, there's no doubt that it is very weak. It can be improved, but right now, it well below average compared to the other top-5 to 8 potential first rounders.
Yea, I still think Couturier slipping to #8 was a big mistake. There was definitely alot of noteworthy prospects picked that year, but I'm still surprised that Larsson and Couturier slipped out of the top 3.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Budsfan

TSN recap for those that missed it

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip737214

Old
08-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleSmedsmosStache View Post
From the stats it looks like Rielly has been one of our better D. But how has he actually looked on the ice?
I didn't catch the 2nd game but the first game I thought he looked pretty good defensively (besides the give away late in the game) and showed bursts of nice offensive instincts with his passing.

His two biggest strengths to me were his skating and vision on the ice. He came as advertised and has good maneuverability showing he can avoid forecheckers on the ice by just his skating. Not sure how strong he is but he didn't have to use his strength too much. The assist the first game was nothing and was just a simple point from the powerplay. He did show some Kaberle (pre Cam) esqe passes up the middle creating a couple of break aways but the forwards couldn't finish.

He just looks like a smart player on the ice when he plays, defensively and offensively.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Small Brain Presence

The fans will absolutely crucify Dougie in Boston if he plays that non-physically (if that's a word).

Old
08-10-2012, 02:28 PM
tpc77

Quote:

Yes, that's what I thought you meant and it's a BS excuse IMO.

There are manyyyyy top players over the years who have been "on the radar" for a longgg time and they still went #1.

As for his D game, ya........I know it's a crazy thing that a 16 year old rookie playing against 18-20 year olds can look weak in his own end at times

However, give the +/- stat whatever credit you want, but he was 2nd on his team last year with that stat in the regular season and 1st on his team in the playoffs. That's once again pretty good for a 16 year old.

Seriously though, scouts picking at #1 don't give a rats ass if he looks weak defensively at times. He is supposed to at 16, so did Crosby.
As for your claim that he is below average for the other top prospects.... come off it, it just seems like you are digging for reasons to go against the grain.

Neither you or I have watched all of these kids enough to make a fair judgement on that.....

So in conclusion.... 16 year old leads team in points in reg season and 2nd in +/-.

16 year old leads team in points and +/- for the playoffs and leads his team to the Semi's.

He finishes in 4th for playoff scoring for the Q and only loses to 4 St.John Sea Dogs who absolutely racked up points smoking teams 10-1 for the first 2-3 rounds.

On top of it, if you watch this kid he has skating and acceleration that is second to none, and top it all off with solid hands and vision.
Oh ya, and he is one of the youngest in his draft class as well.

I think you need to learn more about this guy before saying he won't be going #1.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:52 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Can anyone sum up Rielly's game for me in a nutshell?

Old
08-10-2012, 03:00 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Can anyone sum up Rielly's game for me in a nutshell?
limited ice time, not even much on the PP. when he did play, he was pretty safe tonight. usually just carry up, deke the first forechecker, and make a short pass into the neutral zone. he did make 1 rush in the third and ended up scoring a goal. kid can fly. he did look a bit confused on the goal russia scored just after his. he and harrington didn't really communicate and just kept backing up too far. easily our 2nd best dman behind murray in the tournament so far though.

i like he and dumba paired together

murray - harrington
rielly - dumba
hamilton - ceci

is what i would go with

Old
08-10-2012, 03:06 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
limited ice time, not even much on the PP. when he did play, he was pretty safe tonight. usually just carry up, deke the first forechecker, and make a short pass into the neutral zone. he did make 1 rush in the third and ended up scoring a goal. kid can fly. he did look a bit confused on the goal russia scored just after his. he and harrington didn't really communicate and just kept backing up too far. easily our 2nd best dman behind murray in the tournament so far though.

i like he and dumba paired together

murray - harrington
rielly - dumba
hamilton - ceci

is what i would go with
Thanks a lot man. I really liked him paired with Dumba yesterday too.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Was Rielly better in game 1 or 2 or equal?

Reason I ask is because with that prospect development camp I remember everyone saying how great Rielly looked after the first say but then he kind of tapered off during the rest of the days, he was still good just not as good/noticeable.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Brain Presence View Post
The fans will absolutely crucify Dougie in Boston if he plays that non-physically (if that's a word).
Yeah, I'll admit I had never seen him play before these last two games but he really doesn't look THAT good. From the hype I've been hearing I expected him to be noticeably at a level above the other defenders, but he definitely wasn't.

Looks like Cody Franson 2.0, maybe a bit more aware.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Yeah, I'll admit I had never seen him play before these last two games but he really doesn't look THAT good. From the hype I've been hearing I expected him to be noticeably at a level above the other defenders, but he definitely wasn't.

I feel the same way. I had never seen him play prior to the Knights vs Ice Dog series these past playoffs in the OHL and Hamilton was alright but wasn't at all a standout like people seem to make him out to be. I was expecting to hear his name every half minute or so but it wasn't the case.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Thanks a lot man. I really liked him paired with Dumba yesterday too.
Good to know that he can be paired with a physical guy like Dumba who plays like Phaneuf.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:31 PM
MapleLeafs9
LOL vv

vCash: 142
Morgan Rielly with 1 goal, 1 assist in 2 games so far.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Make no mistake, Hamilton is going to be a stud player. Let's just hope Reilly is better

Canada's D alone should hold them off to Victory every game, but there has been some serious miscommunication these games, which is understandable considering they never played with each other.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:49 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Was Rielly better in game 1 or 2 or equal?

Reason I ask is because with that prospect development camp I remember everyone saying how great Rielly looked after the first say but then he kind of tapered off during the rest of the days, he was still good just not as good/noticeable.
Who said he tapered off? I don't recall one person saying that, in fact he looked great everyday as a recall.

Old
08-10-2012, 05:36 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:

I thought I was the only one, these two games have been my only exposure to Dougie "The God" Hamilton and man was I underwhelmed. I watch him play and all I see is Franson, average skater, decent offensive and defensive instincts, soft for his size and makes questionable decisions some times. Has all the tools, but can't put them together.

Hamilton has been massively overrated, to the point where people watching him for the first time say " He's good, but he's not dominating like he should be. "

Old
08-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpc77 View Post
Yes, that's what I thought you meant and it's a BS excuse IMO.

There are manyyyyy top players over the years who have been "on the radar" for a longgg time and they still went #1.

As for his D game, ya........I know it's a crazy thing that a 16 year old rookie playing against 18-20 year olds can look weak in his own end at times

However, give the +/- stat whatever credit you want, but he was 2nd on his team last year with that stat in the regular season and 1st on his team in the playoffs. That's once again pretty good for a 16 year old.

Seriously though, scouts picking at #1 don't give a rats ass if he looks weak defensively at times. He is supposed to at 16, so did Crosby.
As for your claim that he is below average for the other top prospects.... come off it, it just seems like you are digging for reasons to go against the grain.

Neither you or I have watched all of these kids enough to make a fair judgement on that.....

So in conclusion.... 16 year old leads team in points in reg season and 2nd in +/-.

16 year old leads team in points and +/- for the playoffs and leads his team to the Semi's.

He finishes in 4th for playoff scoring for the Q and only loses to 4 St.John Sea Dogs who absolutely racked up points smoking teams 10-1 for the first 2-3 rounds.

On top of it, if you watch this kid he has skating and acceleration that is second to none, and top it all off with solid hands and vision.
Oh ya, and he is one of the youngest in his draft class as well.

I think you need to learn more about this guy before saying he won't be going #1.
You certainly have a spirited opinion for someone who readily admits to not having watched him very much.

Old
08-10-2012, 05:53 PM
dubey
So hot right now

Quote:

It's rare to ever find an honest assessment of a prospect on HFBoards

Closed Thread