HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you do for a living?

Old
08-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Accounting Student.

Hoping one day to be part of the group that purchases the Habs from the Molsons. Work my way up as "capologist" and become a GM of the Habs.

Pipe dream but anything Habs related, I'll take it.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:55 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Accounting Student.

Hoping one day to be part of the group that purchases the Habs from the Molsons. Work my way up as "capologist" and become a GM of the Habs.

Pipe dream but anything Habs related, I'll take it.
I am starting up in HEC, any advice?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
I honestly hate all of you...
Not even three years ago, I was working full time at a Burger King after being kicked out of CEGEP. I mean, things were bad mostly because I had a terrible attitude towards life. I always had everything easily and the moment I was asked to put in some effort, I started to not care and dig a huge hole. But working there and being out of school, watching most of my friends and even colleagues go to school and dreaming about their future, that was the biggest slap in the face I had and the one I needed.

You can dig a hole as big and deep as you want, just know that there is always a way up. Believe. And I guess you're young so, you have time and even if it's difficult sometimes, it is possible. As Adidas marketed, Impossible is nothing.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:16 AM
blasimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
What concentration do you want to go into?

Marketing college prof here. I went to HEC for my masters many years ago. Liked the place.

blasimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Bang out a good GPA in your first year and then watch it go down the drain subsequently.

Also network (réseautage). Join the student associations. Meet important people. Go to conferences and seminars.

Getting a BAC in Accounting is worthless (IMO), it's the jobs you get after that make it worth it. You'll have to figure out what you like (auditing, taxes, managerial/cost accounting etc.) and that will help you decide what job suits you best.

Since you're about to start your accounting journey now, you'll be eligible for the "brand new" CPA designation. Basically all the 3 professional orders in Québec have merged under the same banner (CPA) and now all students must be enrolled in the same post-Bachelors program even though they will all specialize in different skills (tax, audit, management etc.). It'll be confusing at first, but once you know what you want to do, it'll make sense.

First thing you do when you start is:

- Go look at the opportunities that are available to an accountant. Read up on the profession so you know what to expect.
- Go look at what courses are pre-requisites to get into post-Bachelors programs (such as CPA)
- Plan ahead. Figure out what courses are easy and what are hard and have a balanced sequence so you're not stuck doing 4 core classes in your final semester

Finally, and most importantly:

- DO INTERNSHIPS. I cannot stress how important it is to get a practical experience of Accounting. It's really not for everyone. People get into Accounting thinking they're gonna ace it because it's mathematical. That's like 15% of what it really is. Accounting requires so much social skills and even more judgment. You're a financial advisor and you'll be expected to give people advice based on your calculations. It gets stressful when your words and your signature can cost a company millions of dollars (I'm exaggerating but this is the end goal of an accountant).

Good luck mate!

Old
08-10-2012, 11:25 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Bang out a good GPA in your first year and then watch it go down the drain subsequently.

Also network (réseautage). Join the student associations. Meet important people. Go to conferences and seminars.

Getting a BAC in Accounting is worthless (IMO), it's the jobs you get after that make it worth it. You'll have to figure out what you like (auditing, taxes, managerial/cost accounting etc.) and that will help you decide what job suits you best.

Since you're about to start your accounting journey now, you'll be eligible for the "brand new" CPA designation. Basically all the 3 professional orders in Québec have merged under the same banner (CPA) and now all students must be enrolled in the same post-Bachelors program even though they will all specialize in different skills (tax, audit, management etc.). It'll be confusing at first, but once you know what you want to do, it'll make sense.

First thing you do when you start is:

- Go look at the opportunities that are available to an accountant. Read up on the profession so you know what to expect.
- Go look at what courses are pre-requisites to get into post-Bachelors programs (such as CPA)
- Plan ahead. Figure out what courses are easy and what are hard and have a balanced sequence so you're not stuck doing 4 core classes in your final semester

Finally, and most importantly:

- DO INTERNSHIPS. I cannot stress how important it is to get a practical experience of Accounting. It's really not for everyone. People get into Accounting thinking they're gonna ace it because it's mathematical. That's like 15% of what it really is. Accounting requires so much social skills and even more judgment. You're a financial advisor and you'll be expected to give people advice based on your calculations. It gets stressful when your words and your signature can cost a company millions of dollars (I'm exaggerating but this is the end goal of an accountant).

Good luck mate!
Thanks!

Any advice on how to get internships?

Old
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
DO INTERNSHIPS. I cannot stress how important it is to get a practical experience of Accounting. It's really not for everyone. People get into Accounting thinking they're gonna ace it because it's mathematical. That's like 15% of what it really is. Accounting requires so much social skills and even more judgment. You're a financial advisor and you'll be expected to give people advice based on your calculations. It gets stressful when your words and your signature can cost a company millions of dollars (I'm exaggerating but this is the end goal of an accountant).
Yup. The remaining 85% is networking and socializing, otherwise you'll be stuck doing the grunt work all your life.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Yup. The remaining 85% is networking and socializing, otherwise you'll be stuck doing the grunt work all your life.
I'm pretty good in socializing (I think )

Old
08-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Thanks!

I think HEC regularly have scheduled recruiting sessions (the better word is "cocktails").

(I'm not in this field but my little bro is. He finished with honors and works at Deloitte.)

Oh and join the competition team!

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Thanks!

3 ways off the top of my head:

- Join your school's internship program (if they have one, at Concordia we have Co-op education, where you do 3 internships during your BAC)

- Do firm recruitment (this should be during your second year of BAC, when you have some accounting knowledge under your belt. You go to the firms and they give you a tour, then your school organizes a cocktail where all students will be able to mingle with all firms, and whoever makes an impression on the recruiters will get invited for an interview. This is THE big **** for accountants if they want to become CA's aka CPA auditor. This is competitive and people will push you and step on your feet in order to get time with the recruiters. I'm going to be doing it this year, in September.)

- Know somebody. Ask friends, family or even just call the company directly. Don't be shy to be bold, accounting and finance in general is a field where managers like bold people who aren't afraid of breaking the ice.

Aside from that, I wouldn't be able to tell you. Just start working on making your CV look good. Remember, when an employer invites you for an interview, he doesn't care about your grades anymore. He wants to know what you do OUTSIDE of class. Work on making your portfolio rich and diverse with different activities (join student associations, do case competitions, volunteer in your community etc.)

Old
08-10-2012, 11:35 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Going thru customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Haha, that's right. I remember now.
Tell me you've gotten down to Kagoshima, Sakurajima and Miyazaki, or gone to the top of Mt. Aso. The onsens in Beppu? I assume you've done Nagasaki, given how close it is. If not, make time next time you go back for some of that stuff.
Forgot about this question. I've been to onsens (for Japan non-experts: resorts with natural hot spring baths) a few times, including my honeymoon. I think that it was in Gunma prefecture. I don't remember where exactly, because my wife did the booking. It was awesome though, our own onsen bath, outside (facing a cliff with no inhabitants, only trees in late November, full of colors). Every meal was brought to our room by the innkeeper, who also grilled fish right there, as I recall, for every meal. Those of you who have never been to Japan have no idea how relaxing this is. Repeated onsen baths just make you into putty.

I also remember driving up the mountain to get there, in my Subaru Vivio http://world-viewer.com/subaru-vivio.html : a Kei car - a special designation in Japan with a limit on the displacement of the engine, 1600 ccs I think as well as on the span of the wheel base, i.e.: very small. This car was well made, and as a hatchback could be configured to put in a lot of luggage, but the engine really had trouble making it up those hills. It was like going up a mountain in a moped .

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:57 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
3 ways off the top of my head:

- Join your school's internship program (if they have one, at Concordia we have Co-op education, where you do 3 internships during your BAC)

- Do firm recruitment (this should be during your second year of BAC, when you have some accounting knowledge under your belt. You go to the firms and they give you a tour, then your school organizes a cocktail where all students will be able to mingle with all firms, and whoever makes an impression on the recruiters will get invited for an interview. This is THE big **** for accountants if they want to become CA's aka CPA auditor. This is competitive and people will push you and step on your feet in order to get time with the recruiters. I'm going to be doing it this year, in September.)

- Know somebody. Ask friends, family or even just call the company directly. Don't be shy to be bold, accounting and finance in general is a field where managers like bold people who aren't afraid of breaking the ice.

Aside from that, I wouldn't be able to tell you. Just start working on making your CV look good. Remember, when an employer invites you for an interview, he doesn't care about your grades anymore. He wants to know what you do OUTSIDE of class. Work on making your portfolio rich and diverse with different activities (join student associations, do case competitions, volunteer in your community etc.)
Sorry if I am new in this but what is case competitions?

Old
08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Joe Malone

Hardrock miner......drilling and blasting underground.

Also write books for young readers: www.wawagoose.ca

If anyone can connect me with a publisher, I'll remember you when I'm wealthy and famous.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:22 PM
RC51

Retired.
No more stress, no more traffic, no more board meetings, no more stockholder meetings, no more company car, no more late night investor diners, no more wild Chez Peree keep customers happy outings, no more quick 3 day junkets to Vegas followed by no more wives, No more alimony, No more child support. AHH life is good again when your retired.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
http://www.hec.ca/etudiant_actuel/vi...ive/index.html

This will explain it to you better than I can.

Case competitions are competitions between Universities where students basically compete against each other on different subjects (taxation, audit, finance, marketing, etc.). Case competitions are sponsored by companies, and it's basically the equivalent on an NHL combine in the sense that they test your knowledge and are scouting you as a potential employee (if you apply for a job).

Old
08-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Interning at the Alouettes, ongoing undergraduate degree at JMSB in marketing.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Hey, my girlfriend is studying marketing at JMSB!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Habsolument

Quote:
Des "études de cas". What Jack said is pretty much spot on. Especially for accounting. Keep in mind that you will need a very good GPA if you want to work with one of the Big 4.

You should also check out HEC's exchange program. I did it last year and it was a blast (Jan-June '11).

The networking events (cocktails et 5 à 7) for accounting are usually in september-october IIRC.

As for myself, I'm currently looking for a job in marketing while working as an intern at a web start-up. Here's the website https://wavo.me/

Habsolument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:46 PM
pine*

Define good GPA?

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
HMM.

I might know her then. Might. lol.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Define good GPA?
For me, it's 3.4 and above.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Habsolument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Define good GPA?
Not sure if you're asking me but...
They usually won't even look at you if you don't have at least 3.5-3.6

This is from what I've been told by a friend of mine who's at EY. It obviously depends on the company and some put more stock in your social skills and extracurricular activites but you will still need some good grades.

Habsolument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:55 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
No more RIM?

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:56 PM
shakenbake7

Quote:
HMM.

I might know her then. Might. lol.
Hi Steve

shakenbake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
So this guy is banging your gf?

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote