HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XV): The Non-Frenzy Edition

Old
08-10-2012, 09:52 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
I'm hoping for a few roster spots to be open to our prospects.
I am not sure any of them will be ready this season and they need a 13th forward as it is right now. I think that if Haley doesn't make the team out of camp, they would prefer to have him playing in the AHL and getting a lot of minutes. Cheap, still has some potential, hard-nosed player. Depth is always a good thing, last year they had Bickel and Eminger playing wing......

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:54 AM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
So with Doan most likely headed back to Phoenix, I am hoping Brule will be on the Rangers radar as a depth forward.
agreed we are definitely in a position to take a flyer, on reclamation project. Worst case scenario we are right back to square one since we are not relying on them for anything, best case we would stolen a talented player.

There are a couple of guys out there that could fit this role

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:13 AM
TheDoctorLies

I would love to see Brule on this team. He was completely mishandled by the Bluejackets and then they gave up on him before giving him half a chance. He was also a victim of the AHL age rule. When he played his first full season in Columbus he was too old to play in (then) Syracuse with Columbus's AHL affiliate. He also dominated the WHL the previous season, indicating that another year with his WHL team would be a waste for him. Unfortunately, it seems sending him back to his junior team would've been the best choice for his development.

Either way, he's a hard-nosed kid and I'd love to see him get a shot under a coach like Tortorella. There's nothing to lose, really, and it may work out in our favor.

TheDoctorLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Blueshirt Believer

I think the Rangers #1 priority(outside of resigning MDZ), is bringing in another Dman. I don't think that is going to be done until the Rangers have a better idea what the CBA entails. I don't expect any significant moves until next month.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:01 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

what is the latest on Doan?

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctorLies View Post
I would love to see Brule on this team. He was completely mishandled by the Bluejackets and then they gave up on him before giving him half a chance. He was also a victim of the AHL age rule. When he played his first full season in Columbus he was too old to play in (then) Syracuse with Columbus's AHL affiliate. He also dominated the WHL the previous season, indicating that another year with his WHL team would be a waste for him. Unfortunately, it seems sending him back to his junior team would've been the best choice for his development.

Either way, he's a hard-nosed kid and I'd love to see him get a shot under a coach like Tortorella. There's nothing to lose, really, and it may work out in our favor.
Brule is one of those undersized kids who puts up a lot of points and fair amount of penalty minutes in the WHL, but struggles to translate that style to the pro grame.

With that said, the bigger problem he faces at this point is his ability to stay healthy. I think he can be an effective player, possibly even a 20/20 guy in the right environment, but I don't think he ever becomes the player Columbus hoped for when they drafted him.

Still, I'd be very interested in taking a flyer on him.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

imagine a world where we got both parise and nash this off-season. would it have been worth losing somebody next year and gaborik after that?... or even gaborik next year if a deal could be made? (hypothetical offseason boredom)

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:05 PM
NYR Viper

I believe it has been mentioned before but Tyler Kennedy would be a good comparable for what Brule could become if he could stay healthy.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:09 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
I believe it has been mentioned before but Tyler Kennedy would be a good comparable for what Brule could become if he could stay healthy.
i'd be pretty happy if thats what he turned out to be

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
what is the latest on Doan?
Latest reports had him wearing a Rangers shirt, Canucks fedora, and outrageous yellow Penguins khakis.

He was also spotted wearing clown shoes, so it's down to those 3 team's or Barnum and Baileys apparently.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Why Tyler Kennedy over one of our prospects? We have enough depth to stop gap the difference between the beginning of the season and when one or two prospects could be called up. Those one-two spots should remain open for the taking.

Halpern, Asham, Hailey, Rupp, and Pyatt is more than enough depth guys.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Why Tyler Kennedy over one of our prospects? We have enough depth to stop gap the difference between the beginning of the season and when one or two prospects could be called up. Those one-two spots should remain open for the taking.

Halpern, Asham, Hailey, Rupp, and Pyatt is more than enough depth guys.
If one of our prospects is a better option than Brule, they should have no problem beating him out for the spot. It's not as if this team is hesitant to play kids if they prove they can play.

If you can fill a spot, you fill it and work that kind of thing out later. You don't wait around and hope someone will make a huge jump and take it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Why Tyler Kennedy over one of our prospects?
you say that as if there are actually prospects ready to step in and as if we weren't already one of the youngest teams in the league cause we find room for the kids when they are ready

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If one of our prospects is a better option than Brule, they should have no problem beating him out for the spot. It's not as if this team is hesitant to play kids if they prove they can play.

If you can fill a spot, you fill it and work that kind of thing out later. You don't wait around and hope someone will make a huge jump and take it.
But we've already filled the spots. How many more of these reclamation players can we take before it starts to get borderline stupid?

Old
08-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

According to Sportsnet the NHLPA is planning to hold exhibition games against All-Stars from the KHL if the NHL locks out the players on September 15th.

The report says that there are games set for Moscow, Halifax, Quebec City and an undetermined town in Southern Ontario.

The report notes that Donald Fehr, head of the NHLPA, met with officials from the KHL last week while in Europe.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
you say that as if there are actually prospects ready to step in and as if we weren't already one of the youngest teams in the league cause we find room for the kids when they are ready
I didn't say they would be ready to start the season. My opinion is that we've already signed enough guys that can do a competent enough job for, let's say half the season, until a prospect is ready to come up and add some energy to the squad.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
According to Sportsnet the NHLPA is planning to hold exhibition games against All-Stars from the KHL if the NHL locks out the players on September 15th.

The report says that there are games set for Moscow, Halifax, Quebec City and an undetermined town in Southern Ontario.

The report notes that Donald Fehr, head of the NHLPA, met with officials from the KHL last week while in Europe.
Negotiation tactic really. Released to the media to try and break the owners. It shows the players are ready for a lockout. Owners would really stand to lose the most if this happens.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
The team has shown they have no problem bringing in a guy like Todd White or Pat Rissmiller as insurance, only to bury them if a kid wins a spot. Brule would be an acquisition in the same vein.

I'd rather have a full assortment of depth ready for camp, and banish someone if a kid is ready, than not get a guy like Brule and find none of the kids are ready. We have the space and resources... Plus, competition never hurts.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
But we've already filled the spots. How many more of these reclamation players can we take before it starts to get borderline stupid?
What reclamation players are you talking about? There is no such thing as "too much" depth, and right now there are not many (if any) prospects in Hartford who we should assume can jump into the NHL this year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:01 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Negotiation tactic really. Released to the media to try and break the owners. It shows the players are ready for a lockout. Owners would really stand to lose the most if this happens.
Its a fairly aggressive response to Bettman's lockout comment by saying, "you think you can lock us out fine we will find somewhere else to play we don't need you". It also opens up the door for a "who needs who more" battle which can get very ugly.

Pressure is squarely on the owners now, what gives Fehr the ability to do this is the emergence of the KHL as a hockey power. The owners should be very careful here because the KHL can offer players a place to play and make good money. While the threat is just to play some exhibition games, it is a good way to remind the owners and Bettman that the NHL is no longer the only option.

AHHH "Fear of Loss" what a great sales tactic!

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
What reclamation players are you talking about? There is no such thing as "too much" depth, and right now there are not many (if any) prospects in Hartford who we should assume can jump into the NHL this year.
Agreed.

Guys like Yogan and Miller MAY prove ready, or they may not be close. We don't know yet. You KNOW Brule can provide stability on the bottom lines. Sign him up, and if a kid ends up forcing him out, you get rid of Gilbert.

It's just pain.
Old
08-10-2012, 03:11 PM
TheDoctorLies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Agreed.

Guys like Yogan and Miller MAY prove ready, or they may not be close. We don't know yet. You KNOW Brule can provide stability on the bottom lines. Sign him up, and if a kid ends up forcing him out, you get rid of Gilbert.
Or better yet, you hold on to him as a healthy scratch in case one of the young guys struggles for a few games or we get hit with some injuries.

Having a cheap guy like that on the roster is never a bad thing. He won't prevent us from taking on salary should we want to make a move sometime before the deadline.

TheDoctorLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
Its a fairly aggressive response to Bettman's lockout comment by saying, "you think you can lock us out fine we will find somewhere else to play we don't need you". It also opens up the door for a "who needs who more" battle which can get very ugly.

Pressure is squarely on the owners now, what gives Fehr the ability to do this is the emergence of the KHL as a hockey power. The owners should be very careful here because the KHL can offer players a place to play and make good money. While the threat is just to play some exhibition games, it is a good way to remind the owners and Bettman that the NHL is no longer the only option.

AHHH "Fear of Loss" what a great sales tactic!
I would assume most north american hockey players would probably pick leagues like swedish elite league over the KHL, if there is a lockout.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctorLies View Post
Or better yet, you hold on to him as a healthy scratch in case one of the young guys struggles for a few games or we get hit with some injuries.

Having a cheap guy like that on the roster is never a bad thing. He won't prevent us from taking on salary should we want to make a move sometime before the deadline.
Exactly. Depth is good.

Another thing about Brule: he's 25. If he works out, he could be a part of the future.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Edge

Quote:
Who do we have that's a reclamation project? If you can add a guy like Brule, at a reasonable price, it may be worth looking into. At 25, he's shown he can play at the NHL, and if healthy, be fairly productive.

Maybe he gets beat out by a kid who may be ready (I'm not sure if Miller is ready, I'm almost positive Yogan isn't), maybe he becomes an extra forward. It's almost certain that someone gets hurt at some point.

Either way, I at least find him interesting.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote