HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2012, 10:56 AM
  #26
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Good response. If the Jones has the year everyone expects and he is available at 4-6 I guess taking him would be okay, but I'd still strongly consider trading down a spot or two if the deal was right.
I 'm not 100% sold on taking the BPA, especially when you are pretty deep at a position.

Possible slogan: "Jackets are Jonesing" to go along with "No winnin' for MacKinnon". Still working on a slogan for Shinkaruk - "With luck its Shinkaruk" ?
When the BPA is a guy like Seth Jones, I think you have to take him. The Ottawa Senators "settled" for a guy named Jared Cowen in 2009, when virtually all of their fans that I know were clamoring about Magnus Paajarvi, after they missed out on Nazem Kadri. Oh, what a difference three years makes ... Jared Cowen played all 82 games and was a standout for the Sens defensively.

While I agree with you to an extent, I think if you have a shot to draft a player like that, you have to take them no matter what. Since that selection, the Sens have turned David Rundblad into Kyle Turris, who, though he wasn't putting up huge numbers, fit in nicely as a serviceable second line center. Too much depth at one position can lead to some guys being developed slowly, which can then either keep you young at a position, or lead to trades for other holes in your lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
"Suck for Shinkaruk"?
I wonder if he's ever said that to anyone else before?

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 01:50 PM
  #27
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I wonder if he's ever said that to anyone else before?

candyman82 is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 04:00 PM
  #28
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,116
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
That's funny. I thought Jacket fan mentality was "We're going to suck and be terrible this year, probably finish last again, but, like always, lose the draft lottery and still not get our guy. Oh woe is me."
I like to think those are the two extreme positions. The only issue is that it falls down because the position described by EspenK doesn't actually presently exist in this fanbase.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 06:03 PM
  #29
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,761
vCash: 500
MacKinnon has the hype and no doubt he was the best player at age 16. But will he end up having the best NHL career? He'll end up going 1st overall. But what seems good about this draft is the number of elite forwards that will be available.

If the Jackets miss out on MacKinnon, there are plenty of other forwards who might end up just as good.

Elias Lindholm is one of the best forwards to come out of Sweden in years. Better than Zibanejad and Forsberg. He's a playmaking center who's solid defensively. He made a big impression at the U18 tournament last season.

Sean Monahan is another center with high end talent, good size and intangibles. He put up 33 goals and 45 assists for the Ottawa 67s in the OHL.

If the Jackets keep all three 1st rounders, they could end up with the forward prospects they need.

JacketsFanWest is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 08:01 PM
  #30
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
MacKinnon has the hype and no doubt he was the best player at age 16. But will he end up having the best NHL career? He'll end up going 1st overall. But what seems good about this draft is the number of elite forwards that will be available.

If the Jackets miss out on MacKinnon, there are plenty of other forwards who might end up just as good.

Elias Lindholm is one of the best forwards to come out of Sweden in years. Better than Zibanejad and Forsberg. He's a playmaking center who's solid defensively. He made a big impression at the U18 tournament last season.

Sean Monahan is another center with high end talent, good size and intangibles. He put up 33 goals and 45 assists for the Ottawa 67s in the OHL.

If the Jackets keep all three 1st rounders, they could end up with the forward prospects they need.
I think Monahan will be the "Duchene" or "Seguin" of this year's draft. A guy who will go second (or at least be the second forward taken) that may in fact have a higher ceiling than the guy going first. I'm a huge fan of his.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 08:52 PM
  #31
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I think Monahan will be the "Duchene" or "Seguin" of this year's draft. A guy who will go second (or at least be the second forward taken) that may in fact have a higher ceiling than the guy going first. I'm a huge fan of his.
I remember reading somewhere that his star fell a bit towards the end of last year or during the playoffs. Know anything about that?

Also if he is next year's Seguin, him or Jones if they are both there?

EspenK is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 09:20 AM
  #32
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I remember reading somewhere that his star fell a bit towards the end of last year or during the playoffs. Know anything about that?

Also if he is next year's Seguin, him or Jones if they are both there?
If his season is impressive enough, it has to be Monahan, for exactly the reasons you stated above.

It's not uncommon for young forwards to have ups and downs in their season, and though Monahan did see a bit of a drop off at the end of the season, personally I'm not wholly concerned. Nail Yakupov finished horrible, and he still went first overall. I think Monahan could finish in the top 5 in OHL scoring next year and cement himself as a top prospect. If that's the case and he's there, we have to take him.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 09:42 AM
  #33
Milltec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
If his season is impressive enough, it has to be Monahan, for exactly the reasons you stated above.

It's not uncommon for young forwards to have ups and downs in their season, and though Monahan did see a bit of a drop off at the end of the season, personally I'm not wholly concerned. Nail Yakupov finished horrible, and he still went first overall. I think Monahan could finish in the top 5 in OHL scoring next year and cement himself as a top prospect. If that's the case and he's there, we have to take him.
What about Barkov? Hes a big boy and looks (from the one highlight video I've seen) that he has a scorers touch. But then again it is a HIGHLIGHT reel...

Milltec is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 10:55 AM
  #34
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milltec View Post
What about Barkov? Hes a big boy and looks (from the one highlight video I've seen) that he has a scorers touch. But then again it is a HIGHLIGHT reel...
I think he'll be a good pick up for someone, but I don't see him going top-5 as I don't think he's a game changer like a Mackinnon, Monahan, or even Shinkaruk. I think he has Corey Perry like potential, much like Filip Forsberg this last year. If a team likes him enough, they might take a big chance on him ... but his play this year will make a huge difference one way or another.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 12:51 PM
  #35
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,318
vCash: 500
Odd question, and maybe its been asked before, but what would happen to the 2013 draft (draft order?) if the 12/13 season is a lockout?

Nordique is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 12:56 PM
  #36
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard
 
CBJWennberg41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 13,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Odd question, and maybe its been asked before, but what would happen to the 2013 draft (draft order?) if the 12/13 season is a lockout?
Same thing that happened in 2004, a 30 team lottery.

CBJWennberg41 is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 01:16 PM
  #37
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I think Monahan will be the "Duchene" or "Seguin" of this year's draft. A guy who will go second (or at least be the second forward taken) that may in fact have a higher ceiling than the guy going first. I'm a huge fan of his.
I see Monahan as the type of player who GMs are going to love. He's a big strong center and his play in the OHL is very projectable to the NHL.

In the draft rankings and mock drafts leading up to the draft, he might be behind Sasha Barkov or smaller forwards like Hunter Shinkaruk, but he will end up going top 3 when the GMs are making the decisions.

JacketsFanWest is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 01:56 PM
  #38
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Same thing that happened in 2004, a 30 team lottery.
Yikes...talk about a conflict of interest for the GM's and Owners of the league's best teams (non lotto teams).

Nordique is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 03:16 PM
  #39
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard
 
CBJWennberg41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 13,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Yikes...talk about a conflict of interest for the GM's and Owners of the league's best teams (non lotto teams).
I believe it was if you finished in the bottom 10, and have not had a 1st overall pick in the past 3 years, you get 3 balls in the lottery. if you finished in the bottom 20 and have not had a 1st overall pick in the last 3 years, you get 2, and if you finish above 20 or have gotten a 1st overall pick in the past 3 years you get 1 ball. But im not 100% sure on that.

CBJWennberg41 is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 04:17 PM
  #40
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,116
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I believe it was if you finished in the bottom 10, and have not had a 1st overall pick in the past 3 years, you get 3 balls in the lottery. if you finished in the bottom 20 and have not had a 1st overall pick in the last 3 years, you get 2, and if you finish above 20 or have gotten a 1st overall pick in the past 3 years you get 1 ball. But im not 100% sure on that.
Wasn't paying attention during '05 and can't find any references, so... is that regular season finishes or does the Cup enter into things? Because that's the difference between whether or not we'd have 5 or 6 lottery balls in such a scenario...

...which is the only even slightly potentially positive thing I can see out of an all-season lockout, and it in no way constitutes any desire on my part for such a catastrophe to happen.

Viqsi is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 04:23 PM
  #41
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,061
vCash: 500
So, Edmonton gets zero lottery balls in this situation, right?

But seriously.. 3 first overalls in 3 years. Don't mean to beat a dead horse but damn..

Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 04:41 PM
  #42
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard
 
CBJWennberg41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 13,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
So, Edmonton gets zero lottery balls in this situation, right?

But seriously.. 3 first overalls in 3 years. Don't mean to beat a dead horse but damn..
They'd get 1 ball

CBJWennberg41 is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 04:43 PM
  #43
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
somewhere the mayor did an analysis of this. I think 3 balls is the most you can get. But is this formula set in concrete? if I were Howson, I'd be pitching a major spit fit to get it changed to more heavily favor the teams who have been less successful or in other words those who have a L**T.

EspenK is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 05:58 PM
  #44
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,116
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
somewhere the mayor did an analysis of this. I think 3 balls is the most you can get. But is this formula set in concrete? if I were Howson, I'd be pitching a major spit fit to get it changed to more heavily favor the teams who have been less successful or in other words those who have a L**T.
At the risk of stating the already known obvious... three is indeed the max you can get (if we stick to the 2005 system as precedent), but we have first-rounders from two other teams and so ostensibly there's more chances for us that way - such as, if, say, "Los Angeles" wins the first overall.

Viqsi is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 06:14 PM
  #45
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
With the full understanding that speculation is one of the true joys of board posting....

... Isn't August just a little premature to be discussing NEXT years draft???


Roadman is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 06:16 PM
  #46
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I see Monahan as the type of player who GMs are going to love. He's a big strong center and his play in the OHL is very projectable to the NHL.

In the draft rankings and mock drafts leading up to the draft, he might be behind Sasha Barkov or smaller forwards like Hunter Shinkaruk, but he will end up going top 3 when the GMs are making the decisions.
Agreed. I really like Monahan, and I think we would be very happy to select him.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
  #47
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
With the full understanding that speculation is one of the true joys of board posting....

... Isn't August just a little premature to be discussing NEXT years draft???


while premature evaluation is not the best, it beats discussing whether the Jackets will suck next year or the Nash trade forever and a day.

EspenK is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 07:05 PM
  #48
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
With the full understanding that speculation is one of the true joys of board posting....

... Isn't August just a little premature to be discussing NEXT years draft???

I explained my reasoning for starting the thread above. It's not too early for those of us who follow the ongoing tournaments for these kids.

On that thought: Sean Monahan scored one of Canada's three goals in a 3-2 victory over the Russians yesterday:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Sports/...048/story.html

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php.../ss_id/190000/

The teams met again today, with the Russians prevailing by a 6-3 margin. Ryan Murray was team captain for the Canadians.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php.../ss_id/190000/

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 07:33 PM
  #49
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I explained my reasoning for starting the thread above. It's not too early for those of us who follow the ongoing tournaments for these kids.

On that thought: Sean Monahan scored one of Canada's three goals in a 3-2 victory over the Russians yesterday:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Sports/...048/story.html

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php.../ss_id/190000/

The teams met again today, with the Russians prevailing by a 6-3 margin. Ryan Murray was team captain for the Canadians.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php.../ss_id/190000/

And your observations are appreciated. One can never have too much info.

But what I have a tough time with is already speculating what draft position might secure what draft pick and much assumption CBJ in top five. There is training camp and an entire season, NHL and Junior, and an awful lot questions to be asked much less answered.

Oh well it is August .....

Roadman is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 07:50 PM
  #50
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
And your observations are appreciated. One can never have too much info.

But what I have a tough time with is already speculating what draft position might secure what draft pick and much assumption CBJ in top five. There is training camp and an entire season, NHL and Junior, and an awful lot questions to be asked much less answered.

Oh well it is August .....
It's the only hockey of any importance going on. For a guy like Morgan Rielly, it turned out to be one of the only chances to see him last year, which was huge because he just went 5th overall. Really, these tournaments can make or break a kid's season and draft position, as it gives them a chance to separate themselves from the pack, so to speak.

Sore Loser is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.