HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Komisarek

Old
08-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Pepin le bref

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
I know next to nothing about Komisarek because I never watch Leafs games, but what kind of player is he?

I know many leafs fans despise him because of his contract, but would you want him on the roster if his contract could be restructured today? How much do you think he should be paid? Does even he belong in the NHL? What are the positives/negatives of his game?
Big right-handed D-man who is an OK skater. Was quite effective in Montreal when paired with Markov since he had limited responsabilities in the transition game and offensively. At that time, he was a stout physical D-man that was tough to play againts.
Everything unraveled after his 1st fight with Lucic and has never been the same since. Lost his mojo and confidence to play with a mean streak which led to problems in his own zone.

He was at his best playing with a top D-man with a superior outlet game. Can't take on to much responsability in terms of decision-making with the puck. Has to keep it simple. It's a shame because 5 years ago he was very effective in his own right...Lucic totaly wrecked him.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Whydidijoin*

Yes, he does have positive value.

He is not worth enough to make trading him make sense.

Last edited by spiny norman: 08-10-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: not necessary
Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan381 View Post
How much trade value does Mike Komisarek actually have?

Personally, I don't think you could get much for him, maybe a low draft pick. His contract is too high for his production. (4.5 mil./5 points/a +/- of -13) I think he needs to step up his physical game, when he hits he can hit hard. I think his game would step up and he would then gain more confidence and maybe become a bit more valuable to the Leafs.

Do you think it's possible, with Randy Carlyle as the Leafs new coach, for Komi to turn around his game and be the defence he was in Montreal? Is it in the Leafs best interest to keep him? Trade him? Buy out his contract?

Thoughts?
I think he has a chance to turn things around under Carlyle. Carlyle's style fits his game: Physical, defensive hockey.

I think we are better off keeping him, unless we are getting fair value in return for him, which I don't think we will get at this point. He gives us depth on the back end in case of injuries and he is there in case Holzer is not ready to make the jump just yet.

We already lack leadership and toughness, so by getting rid of him we are going to lack it even more.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
I know next to nothing about Komisarek because I never watch Leafs games, but what kind of player is he?

I know many leafs fans despise him because of his contract, but would you want him on the roster if his contract could be restructured today? How much do you think he should be paid? Does even he belong in the NHL? What are the positives/negatives of his game?
I still think he belongs in the NHL as a bottom pairing D man at this point. He is obviously overpaid but he can still contribute.

Pros: Big, physical, adds leadership to any team, good at blocking shots and body contact, willing to hit anything that moves, stays at home and keeps his game simple.

Cons: Doesn't always pick his spots in the hitting department, so he can at times place himself out of position. Lacks offensive ability and doesn't shoot enough. Can be beaten one on one. His game is in decline, overall.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:00 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Komisarek has value. Overpaid but he can still serve a purpose. He can play PK and clear front of the net. He's regressed but this isn't gomez territory. He really needs to rebound though.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Leafsfan381

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
I still think he belongs in the NHL as a bottom pairing D man at this point. He is obviously overpaid but he can still contribute.

Pros: Big, physical, adds leadership to any team, good at blocking shots and body contact, willing to hit anything that moves, stays at home and keeps his game simple.

Cons: Doesn't always pick his spots in the hitting department, so he can at times place himself out of position. Lacks offensive ability and doesn't shoot enough. Can be beaten one on one. His game is in decline, overall.
Those all are no longer aspects ok Komi's game. In Montreal, he was definitely physical like that but he lost all his confidence and he no longer plays physical enough. IMO, if he stepped up his physical side of his game, he would be a solid enough d-man. Hopefully Carlyle can turn him around though because he can be a good defence man.

Leafsfan381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Those all are no longer aspects ok Komi's game. In Montreal, he was definitely physical like that but he lost all his confidence and he no longer plays physical enough. IMO, if he stepped up his physical side of his game, he would be a solid enough d-man. Hopefully Carlyle can turn him around though because he can be a good defence man.
I am hoping he steps up his physical play and fights more also.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:36 PM
lancer247

Flyers get Komi + 3rd

Leafs get M. Walker + 4th

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Flyers get Komi + 3rd

Leafs get M. Walker + 4th
Pass.

Walker is a depth D man, while Komisarek can still be a bottom pairing D man. We don't need the cap space desperately so I don't see why we would bother moving Komisarek for that return? Komisarek is the better D man of the 2 and we are giving up a higher pick on top of that.

Old
08-10-2012, 04:22 PM
supert

Quote:

Personally, I don't think you could get much for him, maybe a low draft pick. His contract is too high for his production. (4.5 mil./5 points/a +/- of -13) I think he needs to step up his physical game, when he hits he can hit hard. I think his game would step up and he would then gain more confidence and maybe become a bit more valuable to the Leafs.

Do you think it's possible, with Randy Carlyle as the Leafs new coach, for Komi to turn around his game and be the defence he was in Montreal? Is it in the Leafs best interest to keep him? Trade him? Buy out his contract?

Thoughts?
Zero , less then nothing , pay someone to take him . He is ok , but with his contract he is worthless

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:43 PM
seanlinden

Probably higher to Toronto than any other team at this point...

The Leafs just lost Schenn while adding a more defensive minded coach. The last thing they can afford to do is lose a big-bodied veteran physical presence on the blueline. Toronto should be looking to add physicality on the blueline, not subtract.

As for his trade value, it's likely positive and small. There's not a ton of UFA defencemen left and there's quite a few teams that are nowhere near their caps. A team that needs a stopgap defenceman for a couple of years should be willing to part with a mid-late round pick or equivalent value. Similar to Lombardi -- may not have had value last year, but with how much the cap has gone up and how much teams have to spend, a guy who may be overpaid isn't really a dealbreaker when it comes to a short term deal.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

Komisarek doesn't make that much $.. His caphit is 4.5 but his actual salary is 3.5 which makes him somewhat attractive to teams trying to reach the floors.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:58 PM
eli J
Claw Machine broke

Send a message via AIM to eli J
As a Habs fan, Lucic broke Komisarek like Bane broke Batman.

eli J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:03 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli J View Post
As a Habs fan, Lucic broke Komisarek like Bane broke Batman.
Are you suggesting Komisarek will come back stronger?

Komisarek hasn't given everything...not yet.

Old
08-11-2012, 06:35 AM
leaffansince1961

Quote:

Pros: Not overly physical but is above average, can block shots and break up plays.

Cons: Is often out of position when 1) going for the big hit and 2) pinching at the blueline.

I also think he's lost some confidence. Plays much better when not trying to do too much and playing more conservatively.

leaffansince1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:43 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Quote:

Thoughts?
Komi is at 4.5 for the next two years for a cap hit and 3.5 for actually money--problem is he a number 6 d-man on many teams and unless a team needs to get to the cap floor (and i believe there will no longer be a floor in the new cba) his value is very low

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:44 PM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Ya, and I bet he starts scoring tons of goals too and plays a positionally sound game

Last edited by CreeksideStrangler: 08-11-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: can't imbed gifs
CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
It's better if we doesn't fight. Komisarek's was great at blocking shots, clearing front of the net and being physical. It's kind of like gorges for montreal, great shot blocker as well, sometimes physical but him fighting would be a waste. Komisarek is big enough to fight if he needs to, but he should preserve his energy on what he's actually good at.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:51 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
Komisarek doesn't make that much $.. His caphit is 4.5 but his actual salary is 3.5 which makes him somewhat attractive to teams trying to reach the floors.
The cap floor? seriously ? Which cap floor?

I cant believe some hockey fan are unaware a new CBA is being negotiated.

Once there will be a new CBA in place, then we may or may not talk about cap floor again. Until then its irrelevant.

Last edited by palindrom: 08-11-2012 at 02:33 PM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:17 PM
MapleLeafs9
"There will be pain"

vCash: 100
Quote:

Fan favourite, hard hitting defensive defenceman in Montreal to whipping boy in Toronto because he has just struggled since he signed here. Also partly because he has a huge contract.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:22 PM
thrillhouse99

I still think he could be a really good player if he turns it around.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:33 PM
FifthLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Are you suggesting Komisarek will come back stronger?

Komisarek hasn't given everything...not yet.
lol this made me laugh
good work

FifthLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:00 PM
noway

One of many victims of Ron Wilson the confidence killer.

noway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:02 PM
yohan1212

negative value. Leafs would have to toss in a pick with him to even get "future considerations" from a team.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:18 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Instead of Armstrong, Komisarek should have topped Burkes buyout list this summer. Komisarek is a nightmare defensively.
It would have been a bigger buyout that would have been on the books for 4 years. In this case Burke bought out the right contract although he should have bought out someone like Lombardi instead IMO.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote