...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Lakers are a Conference Finals team at best

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:05 PM
kanuck87

vCash: 500
They could possibly get by OKC. Personally I think it's a toss-up. Gasol and Howard would have an advantage over Ibaka and Perkins, while Westbrook/Durant/Harden has a clear advantage over Nash/Kobe/Artest, but the difference isn't as big as some think. The OKC trio can put up points, but I think Kobe and Artest will be able to competently defend Durant and Harden.

IMO, the Lakers will have a better offense than OKC. They'll have a set offense with ideal players playing at ideal positions. With OKC, it's just Westbrook dominating the ball and making something happen a lot of the time.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Who is Artest?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Metta World War will do a good job against OKC, or prospectively against Miami. Our starting five is set. The hard part, as always with the Lakers, is going to be guarding PG's and having help defense that is able to adjust intelligently when the point guard defender is blown past.

The series between them last season could have broken either way. Middle three games were tossups.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Still can't believe the Lakers didn't have to give up Gasol. Awful deal for the Magic.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
kanuck87

Hopefully they are shopping Gasol for some deeper depth. A trade with Tronto would work well, imo. Gasol would be reunited with Calderon. Say something like Bargnani, DeRozan and Lowry for Gasol. Good for both sides I think. It gets Toronto back in the playoffs in the weak East, and it gives the Lakers everything they missed last season, outside shooting and bench depth. I don't know if it works cap-wise though.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:28 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Bargnani is better than Gasol. Not sure why Toronto would have to add to get Gasol.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:32 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Bargnani is better than Gasol. Not sure why Toronto would have to add to get Gasol.
No he's not, not even close. Why hasn't Toronto made the playoffs with him yet then?

Old
08-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Kamal007
God Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Hopefully they are shopping Gasol for some deeper depth. A trade with Tronto would work well, imo. Gasol would be reunited with Calderon. Say something like Bargnani, DeRozan and Lowry for Gasol. Good for both sides I think. It gets Toronto back in the playoffs in the weak East, and it gives the Lakers everything they missed last season, outside shooting and bench depth. I don't know if it works cap-wise though.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
He's not better, but salaries. The Lakers don't have a habit out of taking people's trash so those salaries Toronto would have to add would need to be good players to go with Bargnani.

In any case, the Lakers aren't trading Gasol. The size advantage the Lakers have is something they like to exploit, and they upgraded on a team that won them two titles because of that advantage. We could do with a bench combo guard but that's it.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:37 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
No he's not, not even close. Why hasn't Toronto made the playoffs with him yet then?
Maybe because Toronto does have the talent around Bargani that Gasol has in LA.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:39 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
You find it funny, except that right now the Raptors are going nowhere when they would make the playoffs with Gasol on board.

They're not going to win anything as long as Bargnani and DeRozan is part of the main core. They both have too many major flaws. They would be more suited to complementary roles on teams like the Lakers where they only need Bargnani's shooting range or DeRozan's scoring off the bench.

Toronto needs a shake-up. Getting Gasol gives them their first legit star player since VC left.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Maybe because Toronto does have the talent around Bargani that Gasol has in LA.
Gasol helped Memphis make the playoffs in his rookie season without much support. Jason Williams as his PG and Battier in his rookie season?

Old
08-10-2012, 02:43 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Gasol helped Memphis make the playoffs in his rookie season without much support. Jason Williams as his PG and Battier in his rookie season?
Gutting their core to get Gasol would be defeating the purpose. Either way Bargnani is better than Gasol.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

He's a better jumpshooter, not a better player. Bargnani doesn't rebound and doesn't contribute much defensively. And last season, he wasn't even very good from three point range. There's a reason the Lakers have refrained from trading Pau Gasol to date, he's a guaranteed double-double player, and his defense has improved in the post.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:47 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Gutting their core to get Gasol would be defeating the purpose. Either way Bargnani is better than Gasol.
Yeah he's not. Bargnani is a subpar shooter who can't consistently create good looks for himself or his teammates, his post-play is lacking, doesn't rebound well and can't play defense.

There's a reason why Toronto has never made the playoffs with him when other teams have done it on the backs of just one star. And if you want to argue that Bargnani hasnt had the supporting cast, then what does that say about the rest of their core ,that very same core that you wouldn't want to gut?

Old
08-10-2012, 03:09 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
I honestly think the Mavericks are a 7 seed at best this year. I'm not saying we're a lock for the finals, all I'm saying is we got a good shot to take down the Thunder this year.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:14 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
He's a better jumpshooter, not a better player. Bargnani doesn't rebound and doesn't contribute much defensively. And last season, he wasn't even very good from three point range. There's a reason the Lakers have refrained from trading Pau Gasol to date, he's a guaranteed double-double player, and his defense has improved in the post.
I agree that he's still a very important piece of the puzzle, but with Howard and Nash on board now, they can't use Gasol nearly to the full extent of his abilities. Trading him for a package of solid depth players helps the Lakers fill in a lot of holes that they are still lacking for next season.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Lakers signed Jodie Meeks for 2 years. Seems like they're going to go with what we've got rather than trade Gasol. Blake, Meeks, Jamison, and Hill will do fine as a second unit. Lakers also got Earl Clark and Chris Duhon in this trade, I don't know what they'll do with those two.

Old
08-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

In the final trade the Lakers got Earl Clark and Chris Duhon form Orlando and sent them Josh McRoberts and Christian Eyenga.

Final Details:

LAL: Dwight Howard, Earl Clark, Chris Duhon
DEN: Andre Iguodala
PHI: Andrew Bynum, Jason Richardson
ORL: Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Moe Harkless, Nikola Vucevic, Josh McRoberts, Christian Eyenga, 2013 2nd(DEN), 2014 1st (Den(possibly via NY), Conditional 2015 1st(PHI), Conditional 2015 2nd(LAL) and Conditional 2017 1st(LAL).

No reports or confirmations but I'm assuming the conditions are Bynum and Howard re-signing.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
I think they go with this:

Holiday
N.Young
Turner
Thad/Hawes
Bynum

Or bring Nick off the bench play ET at the 2 and Thad at the 3. I guess they could also start J-Rich possibly. Only PG and C are really set at this point.
They have Dorell Wright, who exists apparently. Can't say I recognize the name, but he's been a starter

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Wright is a good scorer but he had a down year last season.

Old
08-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I could almost see them start Moultrie for experience and because he's their only natural PF.

08-10-2012, 05:46 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Who do you give the ball to in the closing seconds? The same guy you've been giving the ball to for the last 10+ years and won 5 championships with. I think Nash and Howard will understand that. Finding everyone a clear-role in both th eoffense and the defense, now, that's a challenge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post
Really?
You guys do remember that just a few months ago the Lakers pushed the ball to Blake in the final seconds of a playoff game right? No, Kobe wasn't open, but you do remember the look he gave to everyone else? While I think Howard and Nash have no problem giving Kobe the ball, will Kobe accept it if someone else takes over that role when he's being guarded?

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

The only guy on the team who should take a last shot besides Kobe would be Nash, and I don't think he'd have a problem with that. Kobe could push his ego aside for Nash and Gasol, I don't know how, or if he will be able to do that with Dwight.