HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

N.H.L.F.A (National Hockey League Fan Association (Would You Join)

Old
08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

vCash: 500
N.H.L.F.A (National Hockey League Fan Association (Would You Join)

After hearing that negociations are going south and the start of the season could be in jeapordy (suprise suprise)... I am tired of it!

It's time that we as fans orginize ourselves and use our collective numbers to influece the game that we all love!

Forget that you're a Montreal, Chicago, Toronto etc.... fan. This is about HOCKEY!

So here are a few questions:

Would pay a small amount of money (say $5) to be part of the orginization?

What would be our mission statement?

Could we help the negociations (not this year but in future years by monitoring the situtation and making sure that both sides are negociating in good faith)?

I would love to hear some ideas; one thing for sure, even if we could get 10% of hockey fans to join we would have some clout and probably scare the you know what out of the owners and the commisioner!

What both the NHLPA and the Owners count on is our apathy.... they know we'll moan and groan and then come back because we are fans..... they are counting on it! Well it's high time we had a voice at the table since NOTHING works without the fans!

I would respectfully ask MODS to post this inital thread one each of teams boards to get an overall reaction or point them to this thread with just the title on their respective boards

Last edited by nyhabsfan: 08-10-2012 at 09:04 AM.
nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:01 AM
poetryinmotion

I'd probably do it.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
cute

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:05 AM
HabsUK

Nice idea, can't see it taking off though.

HabsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:24 AM
shamrun

Would a boycott be a threat that we would use?

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

For it to work, it would have to be run by someone who is not in bed with Bettman.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Habs

Why on earth do you think a Fan Association should sit in on negotiations? lol. Have a say on other things, ticket prices, the rules, suspensions whatever... but how the league owners negotiate with players isn't our business. They both have legal sides to take care of that.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I already pay enough to be a fan.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

I'd like to be the treasurer

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:40 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

It's pretty cute.

I'll reiterate what I sad few weeks ago. If there is any form of lockout this year, I will not spend any money on the Habs or anything NHL for at least the next year.

**** it. I have better things to do than watch big inflated egos against big inflated egos.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
cute
+1

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:34 AM
PATCHESx67

can i be CEO ?

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:37 AM
lillypad33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
can i be CEO ?
It already exists...

http://www.nhlfa.com/

it's useless though.

lillypad33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
For it to work, it would have to be run by someone who is not in bed with Bettman.
What about this man ?

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
It's pretty cute.

I'll reiterate what I sad few weeks ago. If there is any form of lockout this year, I will not spend any money on the Habs or anything NHL for at least the next year.

**** it. I have better things to do than watch big inflated egos against big inflated egos.
lol, I got bashed in the other thread, for putting the Olympics and pro sports in perspective, but its the truth. Life goes on without these guys, we still have to feed our families and goto work the next day.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

The fans got to take back the NHL....as i said long time ago, EVERY TIME it is the leauge or players STRONG ARMING ........locking out FANS who pay them the MONEY ....

The fans need to FLEX THERE MUSCLE FINALLY.....

Who is really the BOSS? it is not the players or Bettmen

IF fans in TORONTO and Montreal and NY boycotted the NHL games, you would see major action .
Boycott in these cites would be fine because it would not jeopardize these teams leaving the city,and there the top earning clubs, so hitting right where it gets big attention fast.

All this "we doubled revenue" crap since last lockout CAME off the fans backs and pockets....so when they do come back from another strike revenue will double again in next 5 years ,cause ticket prices will just keep getting jacked.

the players and leauge are arguing over fans money, the fans should have a voice to argue to keep these guys in LINE or to reduce prices,otherwise where does ticket price stop? $1000 a game?

My team finishes last ,yet ticket prices still go up for next season? it isn't right .

WHY not a fan boycott in Toronto Montreal and NY,demanding ticket prices go down 25% ....wouldn't that wake up some people

Last edited by Habaneros: 08-10-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:04 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
The fans got to take back the NHL....as i said long time ago, EVERY TIME it is the leauge or players STRONG ARMING ........locking out FANS who pay them the MONEY ....

IF fans in TORONTO and Montreal and NY boycotted the NHL games, you would see major action .
Boycott in these cites would be fine because it would not jeopardize these teams leaving the city,and there the top earning clubs, so hitting right where it gets big attention fast.

All this "we doubled revenue" crap since last lockout CAME off the fans backs and pockets....so when they do come back from another strike revenue will double again in next 5 years ,cause ticket prices will just keep getting jacked.

the players and leauge are arguing over fans money, the fans should have a voice to argue to keep these guys in LINE or to reduce prices,otherwise where does ticket price stop? $1000 a game?

My team finishes last ,yet ticket prices still go up for next season? it isn't right .

WHY not a fan boycott in Toronto Montreal and NY,demanding ticket prices go down 25% ....wouldn't that wake up some people
You can't force people to not go watch NHL games. For that same reason the buildings would be sold out even with your little boycott. The poor SOBs are going to boycott the bell center but those who can afford to pay will gladly go in their stead. These ticket prices are overpriced for what you get, yes, but sporting events are not essential goods and they are all sold anyways so technically they are correctly priced. So the rich have easier access to the game than the poor but thats what happen when you have multi million fanbases and 21 000 seats per game.

Professional hockey is a business and a business has to maximize revenue. The offer (number of seats to sell troughout the year) is limited by the size of the arena so they are going to get priced according to the disproportionate demand vs offer that exists in NY, TO and MON. Sadly 60 000 seat arenas are neither practical nor realistic because of obvious reasons, so we can't do like soccer teams and sell tens of thousands of cheap tickets. Righteous fans should remember that owners don't buy these franchises hundreds of millions out of wanton generosity. If they want to be generous they'll use the money for charity instead of letting customers willing to pay 100s of $ for hockey game watch for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs
It's pretty cute.

Same. The fan association idea is pretty stupid. If it ever took off it would be a puppet thingie controlled by Bettman and used as a marketing gimmick. If theres a lockout than fans should simply not care about the NHL and not buy stuff. Its gonna cost them a lot and its alright. They are fools and should pay for that.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 08-10-2012 at 02:14 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:13 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post

I get your point but it would never work.

If the fans organize, boycott and demand that the tickets go down 25%, there are at least 20,000 + fans in each city who would look at that as a chance to see a game in some really good seats that were previously locked up by season ticket holders.

Its a business. If they play, they play. If they strike, they strike. We have no control over that since there are too many variables beyond our control.

It is frustrating though.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:58 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Didn't something almost exactly like this come up at the last lockout?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:16 PM
AntonCH

This is what I would do

1) make it legal with a charter; mission statement; account etc
2) accounting - open book policy
3) charge a minor yearly stipend $5-$10
4) use above funds to make the voice of the fans heard

You would need 500,000 fans to get the necessary weight - in all markets preferably
next, I would take the funds $2.5-5 million and simultaneously place ads in major newspapers in every hockey market in north america.
Our statement would read something along the lines that we the fans have had enough and if both sides can't resolve the situation - we would not be showing up, instead we'd be turning our backs on the sport we love yada yada yada.
Such an ad simultaneously placed in the hockey market's newspapers would grab immediate attention.
You would need a group of altruistic fans to lead this endeavor so they wouldn't be bought out etc.

This may be too altruistic, but this is how i'd do it - (at least the short version of the "plan" )

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
It's pretty cute.

I'm not saying you should spend but I don't see why you'd hold back. It's a billion dollar business. The total worth of the league and its assets is in the billions.

We love to talk about inflated egos but reality is, it's a business. We like to say "owners want more money, greedy"...no, it's a business. Not busting your balls, I just assume you know what I mean. I wouldn't buy the habs for half a billion(which was the price I believe) and then say "money is not an issue". It always is (unforunately). I don't blame the owners at all, they are businessmen doing business. Even if they lockout and do whatever they like, we can sit at home and call them greedy but they owe us nothing. If we choose to not buy their merchandise well...to be fair, we owe them nothing either.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:36 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm not saying you should spend but I don't see why you'd hold back. It's a billion dollar business. The total worth of the league and its assets is in the billions.

We love to talk about inflated egos but reality is, it's a business. We like to say "owners want more money, greedy"...no, it's a business. Not busting your balls, I just assume you know what I mean. I wouldn't buy the habs for half a billion(which was the price I believe) and then say "money is not an issue". It always is (unforunately). I don't blame the owners at all, they are businessmen doing business. Even if they lockout and do whatever they like, we can sit at home and call them greedy but they owe us nothing. If we choose to not buy their merchandise well...to be fair, we owe them nothing either.
In defense of the players, who's idea was it to put hockey into non-traditional markets in order to "expand" the game? It was surely Bettman and his "league of governors" who had they're say in that. Now who is crying wolf because said teams cannot compete in today's CBA climate?

I call that the boy who cried Wolf, personally.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
In defense of the players, who's idea was it to put hockey into non-traditional markets in order to "expand" the game? It was surely Bettman and his "league of governors" who had they're say in that. Now who is crying wolf because said teams cannot compete in today's CBA climate?

I call that the boy who cried Wolf, personally.
Fact is, today's CBA is fine because it splits revenue in a % that both sides were happy on. Now the owners want more, which I could care less, but in the end it will be greed from one side, or the other, that kills the next CBA.

So in reality, expansion has helped the game and grown revenues tremendously... but on the other hand, you have to accept some terrible markets to do so.

From a business standpoint, all the league and the players, made a ton of money from expansion, so why knock it?

Old
08-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Jigger77

The one thing I would back up is a strong movement to NOT return to the games for a year following any lockout. That would send one hell of a message. Easier said than done though.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Throwing ice cubes at the sun

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote