HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Season starts Nov. 1 at WAS; home opener Nov. 2 vs. CHI

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2012, 11:00 AM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 147
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...ht-howard-deal

Quote:
4. What grade do you give the Sixers for this deal?

Adande: A. They were the ones who had to take on the Jason Richardson deal, but they also got a potential franchise center and finally ended the awkward relationship they had with Andre Iguodala, which was like a couple you knew would never get married. Being adjacent to Bynum's home state of New Jersey should help their chances to re-sign him, but even if he leaves they'll be flush with salary cap space.

Arnovitz: B+. Spirited as their run was last spring, the Sixers were destined for a succession of first-round exits. Betting on a young star like Bynum is their best long-term play, even if it costs them their best player in exchange. If Bynum walks next summer, the Sixers will likely be terrible and, consequently, afforded the chance to reload in the lottery. Either way, this gets them off the treadmill.

Gutierrez: B, only because they aren't sure they have a long-term commitment from Andrew Bynum, who becomes the best center in the Eastern Conference. If Jrue Holiday shines in a more conventional, center-driven offense, and Dorell Wright and Nick Young provide floor balance, the Sixers could threaten the Celtics, Pacers and Bulls as potential East finalists.

Palmer: B. For now. If Andrew Bynum doesn't sign an extension next summer, it's an F. A one-year Bynum rental is essentially worthless. If Bynum knows he's not sticking around, how many games do you think he'll play? I bet it won't be over 40, and you can forget about the playoffs.

Stein: A. I don't know how much people outside of Philly are going to be talking about the Sixers today. But we/they should be. Turning Iguodala into Bynum -- someone who didn't grow up far away from Philly and will have lots of incentive to re-sign there -- is beyond the Sixers' wildest hopes and dreams. The Sixers are starless no more, America.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Sixers weren't going to go too far anyway so the Bynum trade is a very nice move on their part. Yeah it's risky since he may not resign but it was a necessary risk IMO.

As far a Brickadola....I think this comment on Philly.com sums up his stint here...our teams seem to do this. We did it with Richards and Carter but Sixers really went overboard with Iggy and did a diservice to him and the team...

^ That quote you posted it up perfectly.

I never hated Iguodala but he was not the star he was made out/paid to be.

Early in his career when Iverson was still around I loved Iguodala, when AI got traded and they pretended Iggy was a star was when the problem began.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I kinda wish to see Collins talk to Iggy for an on air interview sometime during the rest of the Olympics. Awkward tv.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:25 PM
RussianRocket10

Most likely Heat vs Thunder/Lakers final this year. This is why I don't watch the NBA too much.

Old
08-10-2012, 04:57 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Btw: Adande did say this last night; ‏@jadande
I'm retracting my Bynum re-signing with 76ers tweet. Original source clarifies to say "not sure"

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
08-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
The 76ers can offer Bynum $20 million more than any other team, and he seems to be a guy that is all about money. But if he doesnt resign, they would have enough cap space to get two max player contracts.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:40 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
The 76ers can offer Bynum $20 million more than any other team, and he seems to be a guy that is all about money. But if he doesnt resign, they would have enough cap space to get two max player contracts.
Yeah. It's still a risk trading 3 first rounders for a potential rental guy but its a chance they had to take. If he doesn't resign they are basically starting over from scratch with no draft picks and hoping to land a FA. Also Holiday is up next year so he will need to be locked up unless they decide to go in a different direction.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:48 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Also Holiday is up next year so he will need to be locked up unless they decide to go in a different direction.
Holiday will be an interesting situation. Some team will throw a max/near max deal at him. Are the Sixers going to match or work out some kind of sign and trade? I say try to trade him if you can get Chris Paul in here. But all that is so far away, I'm excited to see how this year will play out.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Holiday will be an interesting situation. Some team will throw a max/near max deal at him. Are the Sixers going to match or work out some kind of sign and trade? I say try to trade him if you can get Chris Paul in here. But all that is so far away, I'm excited to see how this year will play out.
I'm a Holiday fan. He has a lot of talent. When he's on the team is on. In the beginning of the year when they went on that run, he was playing great and in the playoffs you saw what he's capable of. He's a little inconsistent but he's still just 22 and still learning how to be a PG. With Bynum's presence, he should have his best year. He made it clear this offseason he's looking for a max deal. Its up to him this year to prove he's worth that or not.

Old
08-14-2012, 06:51 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

sixers will hold a live press conference to introduce bynum. It will be at he national consitution center at 12noon. doors open at 930am.

more info sixers.com

Old
08-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
IN this bball world of the big 3, the sixers could turn holiday and turner into another star acquisition. As much as I love holiday he is not a max deal player, if he gets payed more than rondo we should deal him. Turner is a good player but has no position on this team since he is not a true 2 guard.

I could eventually like the sixers to maybe pursue Kevin Love as A FA when we have the money.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:22 AM
FLYguy3911

The Thunder just signed Serge Ibaka to an extension. James Harden is an RFA next offseason. I don't know the Sixers cap situation, but he and Doug Collins are pretty close. I wouldn't be completely shocked if he ended up here.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:38 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
The Thunder just signed Serge Ibaka to an extension. James Harden is an RFA next offseason. I don't know the Sixers cap situation, but he and Doug Collins are pretty close. I wouldn't be completely shocked if he ended up here.
I agree! Apparently a lot of analysts want Doug to be the lead candidate for the 2016 Olympics job too..

Old
08-18-2012, 12:31 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Am I the only one apprehensive about Bynum?

08-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
The only thing Im a little concerned about is his knees. That being said they havent been a problem since he had surgery on them two years ago. Other than that they are getting a 24 year old center who is an absolute beast, he is the type of player you build around to win a championship. Say it doesnt work out and he doesnt resign (which I think he will), then I believe they have enough cap space to sign 2 max players.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I must admit I am not a big NBA fan. But the deal the brass made for Bynum was one ballsy move and I will be watching games this year. Let's play out the year before we get into the fetal position. If anything he will make life interesting here as far as sixer fans go. Plus if he farts in public we will find out about it. However what I see on Comcast the beat writers for the sixers seem to have their act together unlike the Flyers beat writers who like to drum up drama.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:42 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

Quote:
For next year the only way another big time player comes in here would be via trade, probably involving Holiday or Turner. Unless we can dump salary for expiring deals at the trade deadline. Hawes/Richardson and Thad would have to go.

If Turner or Holiday don't show major improvement, trade one of them.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
If bynum sucks then we suck and we get a high pick, If he is awesome then we have a legit franchise player for the first time since AI. either way is a step forward compared to the purgatory which is 6-8 playoff seed.

Old
08-20-2012, 11:59 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

9 Sixers' contracts expire within 2 years

From a business POV I think the Sixers are positioning themselves well regardless...they won't be saddled with as much dead weight like in year's past. Two years from now the Sixers could be a totally different team. I'm sure their intent though is to sign Bynum and Jrue to extensions and build around them..hopefully Bynum is no the next Jeff Ruland and his knees holdup. That experimental surgery that Kobe got might help to..hopefully.

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-ph...693&feedID=704

Old
08-20-2012, 01:19 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
For next year the only way another big time player comes in here would be via trade, probably involving Holiday or Turner. Unless we can dump salary for expiring deals at the trade deadline. Hawes/Richardson and Thad would have to go.

If Turner or Holiday don't show major improvement, trade one of them.
Wrong. They can fit a max player than resign Bynum (kinda like what they did with Brand than brought Iggy back).

Old
08-20-2012, 02:17 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

^Wrong. This is long, but here is why.

Assuming the sixers re-sign Bynum, they won't be players in free-agency in the near future.

Next summer, they will have Bynum re-sign at about 20 million. Thad, Hawes, J-Rich, Kwame, Allen, Moultie are guaranteed about 29 million. With Bynum, that is approx 49 million without counting ET's option and qualifying Jrue. ET alone would bring us near the cap. Jrue would have, I believe, an 8 million caphold. That is nearly 65 million. Having caproom next summer without renouncing Bynum is not very realistic.

The following summer, 2014, is not likely either. Bynum is assumed to be making over 20 million. Bynum, Thad, and J-Rich together make approx 38 million going into that summer. They will probably have Jrue on the books for at least 10 million and ET will have a caphold.

If they are committed to Jrue and ET, then they won't build much through free-agency. It will likely be trades.

Quote:
40. What does renouncing a player mean?

As detailed in question number 37, free agents continue to be included in team salary. By renouncing a player, a team gives up its right to use the Larry Bird, Early Bird, or Non-Bird exceptions (see question number 25) to re-sign that player. A renounced player no longer counts toward team salary, so teams use renouncement to gain additional cap room. Teams are still permitted to re-sign renounced players, but only with cap room or an exception other than the Bird exception.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q40

Old
10-02-2012, 12:44 AM
litflyersfan

Well that didn't take long

Quote:
76ers C Bynum out 3 weeks with knee condition

Andrew Bynum's anticipated Philadelphia 76ers' debut is on hold.

One day before training camp was set to open, the Sixers announced Monday they would shut down their new franchise All-Star for three weeks as a precaution after he received knee treatment in Germany.

Bynum was grounded before his first practice in the No. 33 jersey.

''I'm going to do everything in my power to get back,'' Bynum said.

Bynum had injections of plasma-rich platelets that supposedly stimulate healing in arthritis-affected areas in both of his knees. The Sixers said last week he was cleared to play in camp. Bynum felt some discomfort late last week and, after meeting with doctors in New York and Philadelphia, the Sixers made the call to bench him. The Sixers wanted to give him enough time to have the treatments take hold in the knee.

The team said Bynum also had a bone bruise on his right knee. Bynum said the bone bruise was unrelated to the knee treatments.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/76ers-c...7492--nba.html

Old
10-02-2012, 12:05 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Nothing else left to cheer for, Eagles not withstanding. Go Sixers?

Old
10-02-2012, 05:33 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Manning with 4 points? Nice.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:03 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Manning with 4 points? Nice.
Maybe he can be the backup point guard .

Closed Thread