Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Disappointed the League is talking about a lockout before we even give our @NHLPA counterproposal. #theplayers
http://twitter.com/BrandonPrust8/sta...03609229070336
Quote:
Still training hard for the season ahead. Hope Gary Bettman wasn't serious about a lockout. #theplayers @nhlpa
http://twitter.com/MCammalleri13/sta...04580013322240

Old
08-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
And how long have they had to make a counter-proposal? Pretty long.

Old
08-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
The @NHL says they won’t play past Sept 15th under current deal. Apparently they don’t like the deal they designed. #CBA #nhlpa2012
http://twitter.com/HLundqvist30/stat...25459610955776

Old
08-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
I'd love to see some NHL player just tweet a really simple yet powerful message. . . .

"**** Bettman"

They'd get in trouble but that would be absolutely hilarious.

Old
08-10-2012, 04:35 PM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

vCash: 500
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, and I'm not a huge fan of Mark Spector, but if you'd like to start the weekend off on the wrong foot, here's some reading for you: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...ome_cba_myths/

Old
08-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I'd love to see some NHL player just tweet a really simple yet powerful message. . . .

"**** Bettman"

They'd get in trouble but that would be absolutely hilarious.
They would probably see an insane spike in their Twitter followers too.

Old
08-10-2012, 04:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Did anyone else read this as "**** Batman?"

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
08-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Fel 96
JFC

No...

Old
08-10-2012, 05:20 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Why are people pissed at Bettman, again?

He's a mouthpiece.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
08-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Why are people pissed at Bettman, again?

He's a mouthpiece.
Lets be honest, he's got more to do with this than just being a messenger. How much is certainly open to debate, but he's not just a figurehead, he has at least some degree of input.

On top of that, he's a completely weaselly ******.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

And has also done an incredible job growing the league. Other than the lockouts, hes done a very good job.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
And has also done an incredible job growing the league. Other than the lockouts, hes done a very good job.
And yet he's the face and voice of the group that says that it's not nearly enough.

I really think he gets too much credit, overall, positive AND negative. But he's not helping a really negative reputation from the fans, putting out the story he did to TSN this week.

Yes, the game has grown, a LOT. Yes, he just comes off as a total jerk. No, he doesn't do himself ANY favors.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:59 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Why can't the players and owners just go 50/50 on the revenues? Seems like a simple solution.

Old
08-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
Why can't the players and owners just go 50/50 on the revenues? Seems like a simple solution.
Because they both think they deserve more than half...

And the players have zero reason to think that ANY rollback in salary is reasonable, when the league as a whole is making record profits each year.

I think pro athletes are shockingly overpaid in this country, but I think that most of the owners are completely insane if they think cutting a guaranteed contract by 24% overnight isn't going to result in a lockout... Obviously I understand that it was likely a lowball to get the ball rolling, but if I were Fehr, that initial offer would be a downright insult.

The longer this goes on, the more and more I'm mentally preparing myself for a protracted lockout.

The owners are nuts, the players are pissed at all the BS the league won't look into (consistent discipline, clearly defined rules, a real effort to curb deliberate injury, a solution to what to do with Phoenix, etc). On top of that, it just seems completely moronic to do away with an agreement that has seen the league become what it has.

Yeah, things need tweaking. Put a limit on contract length, fine. Clearer language on cap circumvention. Put a neutral party in charge of suspensions and discipline. Personally, I don't think a rollback is an unreasonable request, but 24% is a joke.....

I dunno. Maybe I'm just getting myself wound up, but I don't see either side giving in. Owners think they've got nothing to lose, and players worry that they're going to lose everything.

Edit: My dad did large scale contract negotiation (labor unions) for better than a decade. He always said: "Power is a pendulum. If it swings too far to one side, nothing gets done, everyone gets bitter and everyone ends up losing... It's just a matter of losing now, or losing a few years from now."

Last edited by Vashanesh: 08-10-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: clarity
Old
08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I don't understand how employees can earn more than the employer. That I won't understand. If this were any other country the players would be lucky to get 50/50. They should just lock the percentage in so they don't have to keep debating this every potential lockout.

I am definitely for limited contract lengths, third party disciplinary action, and clearer language(i.e. Schultz and co. ********).

If possible, I'd like to see the shootout lengthened to 5 shooters. I just don't think 3 is enough at the moment. Sometimes you only see 4 shooters anyways and that doesn't last more than a couple minutes. The trapezoid removed and realignment would be nice, too.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
@davedecarvalho let me know how you feel when your boss tells you to take a 22% pay cut
http://twitter.com/Logancouture/stat...10857251020802

Old
08-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret;53469591[B
]I don't understand how employees can earn more than the employer. That I won't understand. If this were any other country the players would be lucky to get 50/50. They should just lock the percentage in so they don't have to keep debating this every potential lockout.[/B]

I am definitely for limited contract lengths, third party disciplinary action, and clearer language(i.e. Schultz and co. ********).

If possible, I'd like to see the shootout lengthened to 5 shooters. I just don't think 3 is enough at the moment. Sometimes you only see 4 shooters anyways and that doesn't last more than a couple minutes. The trapezoid removed and realignment would be nice, too.
Because pro sports are, without a doubt, the biggest business that's reliant on the smallest group of employees relative to their income.

Can you name a fortune 500 company that would go under if 15 of their employees were permanently lost tomorrow...? Because a strong argument could be made for a hockey team having a hell of a time staying afloat if that happened to them.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
That'd be illegal. I can't get paid below minimum wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Because pro sports are, without a doubt, the biggest business that's reliant on the smallest group of employees relative to their income.

Can you name a fortune 500 company that would go under if 15 of their employees were permanently lost tomorrow...? Because a strong argument could be made for a hockey team having a hell of a time staying afloat if that happened to them.
If Obama was dead then a good portion of American car dealers would have been done. if this were 2008

Considering the owner pays the bills and bought the team in the first place, the players percentage shouldn't keep rising and make above the owner. If they kept rising at the same pace it'd almost nix any owner's profit soon enough.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
That'd be illegal. I can't get paid below minimum wage.

If Obama was dead then a good portion of American car dealers would have been done. if this were 2008

Considering the owner pays the bills and bought the team in the first place, the players percentage shouldn't keep rising and make above the owner. If they kept rising at the same pace it'd almost nix any owner's profit soon enough.
That's an extreme example. I'm talking any random 15 people from a fortune 500 company...

I'm not saying that nothing should change, but saying that players should lose a quarter of their guaranteed contract is ridiculous. Players deserve a much bigger chunk of the pie than any other worker, because top end athletes are literally one in millions rare.

Wouldn't you agree that Bill Gates is worth an astronomical amount because of his extremely shrewd business moves, well above-average intellect, etc...? Another extreme example, clearly, but I'm hoping you get my point.

Wouldn't you also agree that a world-class athlete shouldn't have to lose a quarter of their promised pay overnight, just to make sure that their owners can become richer than they already are? Especially when the owners are making provably record profits?

Old
08-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
That's an extreme example. I'm talking any random 15 people from a fortune 500 company...

I'm not saying that nothing should change, but saying that players should lose a quarter of their guaranteed contract is ridiculous. Players deserve a much bigger chunk of the pie than any other worker, because top end athletes are literally one in millions rare.

Wouldn't you agree that Bill Gates is worth an astronomical amount because of his extremely shrewd business moves, well above-average intellect, etc...? Another extreme example, clearly, but I'm hoping you get my point.

Wouldn't you also agree that a world-class athlete shouldn't have to lose a quarter of their promised pay overnight, just to make sure that their owners can become richer than they already are? Especially when the owners are making provably record profits?
I definitely get your point. I'm not disagreeing with it.

If they go to a 50/50 split how much would salaries be scaled back?

Old
08-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Right now the players have the biggest share, the owners want the biggest share, I think it will end up close to 50/50.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Right now the players have the biggest share, the owners want the biggest share, I think it will end up close to 50/50.
I think so, too. When will the NHLPA have its counter-offer ready? It has been 28 days since the initial offer. Looks more like stalling rather than negotiating.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
I definitely get your point. I'm not disagreeing with it.

If they go to a 50/50 split how much would salaries be scaled back?
The players get 57% of total revenue now, owners want it to be 43%.

That doesn't add up to 24%, of course, but owners also want to "redefine hockey-related revenue", which likely just means they're pocketing more as pure profit.

Ugh, I need to get some sleep.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Players that take/took bad team photos

That thread screams James Sheppard.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:07 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

We're gunna have a lockout, owners can't afford the current split....

Closed Thread