Notices

No Oates love?

Old
08-09-2012, 04:58 PM
GordonHowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I never thought they would hit rock bottom the way they did (merely Bruin bias and my inability to accept the franchise was an incredible joke). I`m glad they did, hitting rock bottom, staring at literally thousands of empty seats at his arena forced the hand of JJ it seems.

Like Sinden, Jacobs well earns the heat/hatred/dislike/frustration that the fans of this team heaved at him, to his credit, as you mentioned, it finally clicked in that what this team needed was to bring in the right people who could help build that relationship back up between the Bruins and the fans, focus on putting a solid product on the ice that would be competitive on a yearly basis and not sell off, alienate, underpay/overpay solid players, for that, I`ll give the Jacobs family a big thumbs up.

I can only imagine those here who shelled out their hard earned dollars year in and out only to be force fed mediocrity (if that) for far too long, I know how frustrated I was and I`m just a guy who made 3-4 trips to Boston yearly to catch Bruin games, and it was so difficult to sit in the TD and see all those seats unoccupied, a team who wasn`t competitive, and Mngt/Ownership who gave the impression that all was well.

This team/organization may not be perfect, but man are things so much more positive these days, and for that, I`m grateful, Hockey is my winter escape from real life, thankfully, the team I support has been worth watching in the last few years

Agreed on all fronts.

It's *still* weird to me that they actually won the Cup. It's like a dream. That they are a respectable franchise again that play BOSTON BRUINS HOCKEY "as we know it, as we prefer it" is so heartening.

I suppose it's sour grapes but after all of those years in the wilderness, the ubiquitous B's swag among pink hat band-wagon types the summer of '11 was tough to take.

I remember the days -- not that long ago -- when encountering a Bruins fan around town was like a secret handshake.

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
I heard a story that when Oates was traded, he was notified during the pre-game skate and the last thing he did on the ice was feed a bullet of a pass from one end of the ice to Bourque's tape on the other.

Urban legend or can anyone confirm?
Not sure a/b that one.

Previous to his first game against the blues as a Bruin, and during the pregame skate. As the B's left and the blues took the ice, he floated a pass to his old linemate Brett Hull. Which Hull of course ripped at the net.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
[/B]

Agreed on all fronts.

It's *still* weird to me that they actually won the Cup. It's like a dream. That they are a respectable franchise again that play BOSTON BRUINS HOCKEY "as we know it, as we prefer it" is so heartening.

I suppose it's sour grapes but after all of those years in the wilderness, the ubiquitous B's swag among pink hat band-wagon types the summer of '11 was tough to take.

I remember the days -- not that long ago -- when encountering a Bruins fan around town was like a secret handshake.
Agreed.

Glad episodes like Oates', and some others, are now water under the bridge. I think it took a Cup to do that. Clearly it has healing powers.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 07:07 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Not sure a/b that one.

Previous to his first game against the blues as a Bruin, and during the pregame skate. As the B's left and the blues took the ice, he floated a pass to his old linemate Brett Hull. Which Hull of course ripped at the net.

Hm, seems the story I heard was a "Bruinized" version of this.

Funny how that happens. Verdict: urban legend.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:37 AM
doc5hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
I heard a story that when Oates was traded, he was notified during the pre-game skate and the last thing he did on the ice was feed a bullet of a pass from one end of the ice to Bourque's tape on the other.

Urban legend or can anyone confirm?

Oates and Bourque had a routine during pregames in which the two stood at opposite sides of the rink after the line drills were done, trading aerial passes. Ironically, considering each guy's strength, Oates' were harder aerial passes most of the time. He would elevate the height and the pace as they went and Bourque would give it back to him the same basic way. My guess is a subconscious blending of stories from a combination of this routine and the video documenting Oates' little touch pass to Brett Hull as the warmup was ending and the Bruins were skating off the ice in St. Louis six days after Oates was dealt to Boston. Hull was standing in the circle and Oates grabbed a puck as he was gliding to the corner exit, curling it out to Hull (one last time).

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:49 AM
doc5hole

Sinden, BTW, acquired Oates because he was dissatisfied with Janney's compete level, and he sacrificed a budding shutdown D he had drafted in the first round who was just coming into his own to sweeten the deal for St. Louis. And he made this decision after Janney had been the top-line center on a Boston team that went to two Cup finals and a conference final in the previous four years.
I think it's safe to say, based on Chiarelli's seven years at the helm, that he would not have swung the same deal.
Cracks me up that once again Harry gets burned at the stake in the same thread that one of his trades is getting celebrated.

Old
08-10-2012, 04:53 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc5hole View Post
Sinden, BTW, acquired Oates because he was dissatisfied with Janney's compete level, and he sacrificed a budding shutdown D he had drafted in the first round who was just coming into his own to sweeten the deal for St. Louis. And he made this decision after Janney had been the top-line center on a Boston team that went to two Cup finals and a conference final in the previous four years.
I think it's safe to say, based on Chiarelli's seven years at the helm, that he would not have swung the same deal.
Cracks me up that once again Harry gets burned at the stake in the same thread that one of his trades is getting celebrated.
Harry forgets in one hour more than I'll ever know about hockey. Due credit for his undenaible acomplishments. I will never forgive his (or JJ's) treatment of the Bruins fan base, however.

Over the top I go, but was disgusted at his presence at the Cup parade.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:03 AM
doc5hole

Quote:
Harry forgets in one hour more than I'll ever know about hockey. Due credit for his undenaible acomplishments. I will never forgive his (or JJ's) treatment of the Bruins fan base, however.

Over the top I go, but was disgusted at his presence at the Cup parade.

Whatever your judgment of the stewards of the franchise is your right as a consumer of Bruins hockey, and not mine to judge. From time to time I go down to the balcony to visit with Kevin from Melrose and his son Dennis in 324, and when I'm wedging between the long lines at the concessions and the men's room I often wonder if I'd still be a fan if I never joined the press. I have my own opinions about JJ and Harry, but I definitely respect the fans for enduring what they do to root for this team.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:24 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

I loved Oates. What a playmaker. He could literally, literally, turn anyone into a 30 goal threat.

I remember one season in Washington where he played with Chris Simon on his wing. Simon finished with 29 goals.

08-11-2012, 03:14 AM
Mount KilimanChara

Well deserved. Oates was an amazing hockey player.

Mount KilimanChara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:42 AM
ODAAT

With my Dad being an RPI alum, we went down yearly for Alumni weekends (Big Red Freakout it was referred to), I remember watching Oates in his Freshman year and saying to my Dad "that guy is awsome", to watch him absolutely dominate at RPI for a few years, then to have him eventually put a Bruin jersey on was a real treat for this Bruin fan, got to meet he and all the players each year, a quiet yet incredibly nice guy, nothing but time to speak to the Alumni and most importantly for this young kid at that time, take the time to speak briefly with the kids of those Alumni

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:01 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I loved Oates. What a playmaker. He could literally, literally, turn anyone into a 30 goal threat.

I remember one season in Washington where he played with Chris Simon on his wing. Simon finished with 29 goals.

No snark, just the first thing I thought of when I read your post.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:10 AM
mattbnh

My disdain for OC's berating Oates in front of the team drove a wedge in a hockey friendship with an old school guy who was adamant that 'it stays in the room' and was disgusted with Oates. I felt Adam told it like it was at the time, and that OC was just Harry's legbreaker, who did more harm to the team by embarrassing a veteran like Oates, who never wanted the spotlight, than Oates did by speaking out.

I don't think our relationship was ever the same, and it makes me sad to this day.

I was really surprised when I first heard that Oates was coaching as an assistant. I didn't think it would be in his character, but I was glad to see it. But I truly wonder if the spotlight of the Washington job will work out for him. I can't imagine him on HBO 24/7 or even the daily press grind. I wonder if the prima-donnas will listen to him.

I say that knowing very little about how he coaches. But I think it will be one of the most interesting stories, if we ever get a hockey season this year.

mattbnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:57 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Whatever your judgment of the stewards of the franchise is your right as a consumer of Bruins hockey, and not mine to judge. From time to time I go down to the balcony to visit with Kevin from Melrose and his son Dennis in 324, and when I'm wedging between the long lines at the concessions and the men's room I often wonder if I'd still be a fan if I never joined the press. I have my own opinions about JJ and Harry, but I definitely respect the fans for enduring what they do to root for this team.
And now Jacobs wants to stick it to us. Again.

Courtesy Puck Daddy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...6182--nhl.html

Old
08-11-2012, 12:59 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post

It's going to be a very interesting year in D.C.

Old
08-12-2012, 07:13 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
And now Jacobs wants to stick it to us. Again.

Courtesy Puck Daddy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...6182--nhl.html
Nothing new in this with all due respect, where GB gets the most heat from me isn`t in these negotiations at all, I get he works for the Owners, it`s the absolutely boneheaded decisions to continue funnelling money into awful franchises, which he approved franchises to and his incredible inability to accept, admit and move those teams into markets where at least 1 fan could actually give a darn about the team

Old
08-12-2012, 01:29 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Nothing new in this with all due respect, where GB gets the most heat from me isn`t in these negotiations at all, I get he works for the Owners, it`s the absolutely boneheaded decisions to continue funnelling money into awful franchises, which he approved franchises to and his incredible inability to accept, admit and move those teams into markets where at least 1 fan could actually give a darn about the team
I'll take this to the CBA thread,

Old
08-12-2012, 02:08 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
wow Mick? can't disagree more on just black and white assessment. Chiarelli had the balls to get rid of Lewis and trade Kessel. Harry was pretty much ran a dictatorship with some input- but Chiarelli is the ultimate politician- surrounds himself with the best people he can and everyone has a chance to speak up.

There is ZERO chance Janney would last under this administration- and thats what it is. Now if you say Chiarelli is King then that is different, but he is new age and its unfair to expect him to assume the same position as Harry as he was never trained that way.

Harry is a throw back- an old timer in an era that is gone. He made spectacular moves- incredible; his top 3 trades bundled probably win the Gold Medal of that period of time-

Middleton for Hodge
Neely and Wesley for Pederson (but for last week tanking it was Turgeon or Shanny)
Espo/Vadnais for Zannusi and
Oates deal

he made others but these four just stick out as WTF epic alltime moves

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 02:19 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I know this is Oates thread and I love the guy- one of my alltime favorites.

I pointed him out to my kid onetime and said 'that is a hockey player'

Here is a quick little Oates story.

Back in the mid 80's there is this kid who shows up at my gym and is always there- got the mullet going, works out really hard, smiles at everyone, polite, just a peach. I chit chit with him pretty much every day and know his name is Adam but that is about it.

Its I think around the 4th of July weekend and smoking hot out; Me and my bud are going to go to Good Harbour Beach to my friends place and hang out and catch rays, chow of course and we are walking outside with Adam. We ask him if he wants to come with us and he says he'd love to but he has a power skating class and the guy wont be to happy if he doesn't show up. We are standing next to his car (Trans Am or Firebird, Camaro- one of those) and bingo- I realize looking at the RPI 16 (or whatever number he was but definitely RPI) it was Adam Oates. I say, your Adam Oates, and yes he was.

He explained although I already knew he had signed as a FA with the Red Wings and was staying at Paul Vincent's who lived in nearby Beverly (and later worked with Tampa and even Bruins) to work on his skating.

Great guy, first thing he does next time we see him is ask how the day was. Really good, good guy. Great for him- he may not be Gretkzky or Yzerman but I'll tell you he could do it all- and for a clean player he was tough, reminded me of Johnny Bucyk that way.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:06 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
I was always an Oates fan. Loved the trade, another master stroke by Sinden. As Mick said, people throw Harry under the bus for all the bad things, but he kept this franchise afloat for years. The Neely/Oates combo was not just deadly, it carried the team to the cup finals.

As far as Chiarelli making a similar deal, while I think he's generally a conservative GM who sticks with what he knows best at times to a fault, I do think he's shown enough Kahunas to make such a deal. In my mind the Horton trade was very similar.

Don't get the Jacobs bashing. Anyone who knows me can bet the house I will forever hold JJ's feet to the fire about anything dysfunctional realted to the B's. But this time around I think it's fair to ask in CBA negotiations that players make more of a 50/50 split with owners.

The real question is about profit sharing. The challenge for owners is about big markets - especially top DMAs like NY, Philly, Boston, Chicago, etc where they draw more biz on a variety of levels - equalizing with smaller markets that operate on a different scale.

It's a tough issue.

If you built a large successful business in a big city, would you be willing to supplement the guy in a smaller market by giving money out of your own pocket? While it's the best thing to do for the sport, it's harder to justify that in real terms ... especially if shareholders are involved.

Delaware North is private, so no shareholders involved, but still ... the real issue is how do you create more equality among owners so the big markets at the high end of the market don't end up having competitive advantage?

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:24 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker View Post
I was always an Oates fan. Loved the trade, another master stroke by Sinden. As Mick said, people throw Harry under the bus for all the bad things, but he kept this franchise afloat for years. The Neely/Oates combo was not just deadly, it carried the team to the cup finals.

As far as Chiarelli making a similar deal, while I think he's generally a conservative GM who sticks with what he knows best at times to a fault, I do think he's shown enough Kahunas to make such a deal. In my mind the Horton trade was very similar.

Don't get the Jacobs bashing. Anyone who knows me can bet the house I will forever hold JJ's feet to the fire about anything dysfunctional realted to the B's. But this time around I think it's fair to ask in CBA negotiations that players make more of a 50/50 split with owners.

The real question is about profit sharing. The challenge for owners is about big markets - especially top DMAs like NY, Philly, Boston, Chicago, etc where they draw more biz on a variety of levels - equalizing with smaller markets that operate on a different scale.

It's a tough issue.

If you built a large successful business in a big city, would you be willing to supplement the guy in a smaller market by giving money out of your own pocket? While it's the best thing to do for the sport, it's harder to justify that in real terms ... especially if shareholders are involved.

Delaware North is private, so no shareholders involved, but still ... the real issue is how do you create more equality among owners so the big markets at the high end of the market don't end up having competitive advantage?
I`ve bashed Harry big time myself, but have done so focusing on the specifics of his later Bruin years where his decision making was plain awful/disgusting, but....there was a long stretch where he was a fantastic GM, but when it started to go wrong, it went really wrong, and it`s only been in the last few years that this team seemingly has rebounded from the Sinden/MOC era

Old
08-13-2012, 08:26 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I know this is Oates thread and I love the guy- one of my alltime favorites.

I pointed him out to my kid onetime and said 'that is a hockey player'

Here is a quick little Oates story.

Back in the mid 80's there is this kid who shows up at my gym and is always there- got the mullet going, works out really hard, smiles at everyone, polite, just a peach. I chit chit with him pretty much every day and know his name is Adam but that is about it.

Its I think around the 4th of July weekend and smoking hot out; Me and my bud are going to go to Good Harbour Beach to my friends place and hang out and catch rays, chow of course and we are walking outside with Adam. We ask him if he wants to come with us and he says he'd love to but he has a power skating class and the guy wont be to happy if he doesn't show up. We are standing next to his car (Trans Am or Firebird, Camaro- one of those) and bingo- I realize looking at the RPI 16 (or whatever number he was but definitely RPI) it was Adam Oates. I say, your Adam Oates, and yes he was.

He explained although I already knew he had signed as a FA with the Red Wings and was staying at Paul Vincent's who lived in nearby Beverly (and later worked with Tampa and even Bruins) to work on his skating.

Great guy, first thing he does next time we see him is ask how the day was. Really good, good guy. Great for him- he may not be Gretkzky or Yzerman but I'll tell you he could do it all- and for a clean player he was tough, reminded me of Johnny Bucyk that way.
Great story, I share the sentiments, almost like Oates was misunderstood a bit too being so quiet?? Joe Juneau was another fav of mine too, not a coincidence that, like my Father, an RPI grad that I had the chance to meet and greet a few times during Alum weekends. Humble guys that didn`t crave the attention

Old
08-13-2012, 06:40 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
I`ve bashed Harry big time myself, but have done so focusing on the specifics of his later Bruin years where his decision making was plain awful/disgusting, but....there was a long stretch where he was a fantastic GM, but when it started to go wrong, it went really wrong, and it`s only been in the last few years that this team seemingly has rebounded from the Sinden/MOC era
Agreed. One of the key underlying issues was Harry's misplaced priorities, driven largely by Jeremy Jacobs ring-leading the fight with the NHLPA over rising salaries. That's why the B's had such grave difficulties with the notion of spending to keep their players and/or acquiring key UFAs which were sorely needed when the draft wasn't producing.

End result: right or wrong JJ introduced a dysfunction, and he wasn't going to hold Harry accountable to playoff results when he's handicapping the organizations ability to improve itself. Instead, the goat was the coach.

When you look back, the B's best UFA signings between 1995 and 2005 were ... (drum roll please) ... Martin Lapointe and Sean O'Donnell. Yikes. Meanwhile, nobody was helping the draft until O'Connell cleared Bob Tindall and annointed Scott Bradley as master guru starting in 1997 (that and the Thomas signings, Knuble trade & PJ Stock waiver pickup were about the only good things MOC did for this team). At least from that point on, the B's started producing guys like Bergeron, Krejci, Versteeg, Marchand, Lucic, Caron, etc to help fill out the roster, rather than depend on moribunds like Stevenson, Aitken, Kvartalnov, Pasin, Cimetta, Ryabchikov and Mann.

Before Bradley, the B's didn't have such a luxury. That's where Harry's deft with trades (Neely/1st which led to Wesley ... which also scored Samsonov ... and then Lucic; Oates; Poulin; Moog; Lemelin; ... plus Harry was behind the Allison/Carter/Carey deal ... and the list goes on) and key waiver wire pickups (Taylor, Van Impe, etc) helped keep this franchise afloat.

Thankfully all that BS dysfunction is a thing of the past.

Last edited by MeisterBruinmaker: 08-13-2012 at 06:45 PM.
MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote