HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign F Alexandre Mallet to an ELC

Old
08-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Blueangel1891

vCash: 500
Burrows 2.0

Blueangel1891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I still don't see it. I'd expect he plays in the ECHL this year (not a death wish since Burrows did start there), but I don't think he will amount to anything special. Still would have preferred Severson.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I still don't see it. I'd expect he plays in the ECHL this year (not a death wish since Burrows did start there), but I don't think he will amount to anything special. Still would have preferred Severson.
How many times did you see Mallet last season?

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Not too sure how to answer that question, it's certainly the highest scoring league. It isn't uncommon to have players put up high offensive numbers in the Q. What you could do though is look at what other 1st round picks out of the Q accomplished at the same age, use that as a comparison. There were no Q forwards drafted in the 1st round of the 2010 draft (Mallet's draft year) so we kind of need to compare 2009 Q 1st rounders and their stats 2 years after their draft year.
wasnt it the lowest scoring league this year?

people need to stop thinking that it's the 90s with 150pt dudes in the Q going undrafted

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

I'm hoping for a bigger, fightier Martin Gelinas.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:58 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Liking Mallet's fights. Gets guys to turn their head pretty quick with his jabs. Can land some solid shots. Throws big hits. Me likey.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:34 PM
CommonMeans*

Am I the only one who sees him as a boom-bust type prospect at this point?

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
Am I the only one who sees him as a boom-bust type prospect at this point?
probably? he's defensively aware and fights and clearly isn't afraid of playing that role. if he can't score at a professional level he can almost certainly hit fight and suppress scoring chances against other 4th lines enough to make him a plus-replacement player

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:51 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
probably? he's defensively aware and fights and clearly isn't afraid of playing that role. if he can't score at a professional level he can almost certainly hit fight and suppress scoring chances against other 4th lines enough to make him a plus-replacement player
His biggest challenge in his first AHL season might be picking his spots to fight. He has to prove that he is a player. But he has a reputation as a fighter, so every puncher in the AHL is going to want to get a measure of him.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:05 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
I guess I see him as such simply 'cause of his developmental path. It's on a sharp rise - does it continue or has he plateaued.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
wasnt it the lowest scoring league this year?

people need to stop thinking that it's the 90s with 150pt dudes in the Q going undrafted
Not the lowest scoring, I think it's still the highest since there's less teams than in the other 2 leagues but the margin is getting smaller than it used to be.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:24 AM
BassMason

vCash: 50
The guy never started putting up points until last year because he was never really given the chance. He was overlooked as a fighter energy guy. Give him some more time to develop an offensive game and I think it will come. People that have the passion and love for hockey that this guy seems to have find a way. Burrows 2.0? Ya maybe, except he will pound the decency out of guys instead of pulling there hair. I love the frenchies. This is a good pick, i'll put all my vCash on it.

BassMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:48 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Wasn't a fan of the pick but I'm not a scout. Then again neither are the Guys the Canucks hired. Hope he pans out.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:59 AM
Derp Kassian

It might be a reach but atleast it'll be good to develop depth guys that are tough.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:10 AM
ProstheticConscience
I see an eagle

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueangel1891 View Post
Burrows 2.0
Unfortunately, without our luck he's Archibald 2.0.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:11 AM
BerSTUzzi

I know the pick seems off the board but there haven't been too many scout "critics" of this pick. Can't we wait to judge the kid after he arrives at training camp? All reports from his showing at the Canucks Development Camp everyone was really high on him.

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Canucker

At the time I really wanted Severson (and still do), but Mallet is an intriguing prospect and I'm not as disappointed now as I was during the draft.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:09 PM
arsmaster

How can you be a boom/bust pick if you're physical, hit, play PK, score ... It's s safe pick if anything, at worst you probably have kid who at the worst plays for your ahl affiliate and probably gets a cup of coffee in the show.

Boom/bust to me are the guys the only have a finesse offensive game that couldn't play bottom 6 minutes...Mallet looks like he can.

Grenier is the epitome of a boom/bust pick.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:17 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
How can you be a boom/bust pick if you're physical, hit, play PK, score ... It's s safe pick if anything, at worst you probably have kid who at the worst plays for your ahl affiliate and probably gets a cup of coffee in the show.

Boom/bust to me are the guys the only have a finesse offensive game that couldn't play bottom 6 minutes...Mallet looks like he can.

I guess the risk factor comes from him being older and only having had the one big season.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:18 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Unfortunately, without our luck he's Archibald 2.0.
Archibald would be a totally different player if he could skate. From all reports, this kid can skate.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:45 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Archibald would be a totally different player if he could skate. From all reports, this kid can skate.
This is what I like about the player development since Gillis took over... You know that Gillis is doing everything he can to make Archibald a better skater... and he's doing / will do everything he can to work on Mallet's deficiencies... I don't think Connauton is even in the breathe of being a potential NHL player, if Gillis isn't doing everything he can to work on Connauton's deficiencies over the last few years...

I like Mallet as a prospect, because I think the Canucks will develop him real well, and the "raw materials" seem to be there that he can be molded into a legit prospect / future NHL-calibre player...

I in the Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

I would tend to agree. Mallet seems to be the opposite of boom/bust IMO. Could play on your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th line.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:17 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueangel1891 View Post
Burrows 2.0
Even Burrows 1.0 + middle weight fighting is still one hell of a player to have only your 3rd line. Excellent PK, hitting, defensively great, fast, 30-40 points, toughness.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote