HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Markham Arena II

Old
08-10-2012, 09:13 PM
TheOneArmedMan

vCash: 500
lol. They won't be getting a team for a long time. That arena will be empty for years. It would also take away from the Leafs buisness, so Rogers/bell won't want a new team in there area. Waste of money if you ask me.

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:45 PM
GuelphStormer

i think it can and will work. and i think there are a few more billionaires in the area who might just have the hubris to think they can challenge the religion that is the toronto maple leafs. to ask if the market can support two gta teams is silly. of course it can. just tap into the new cosmopolitan market and you have an instant and modern powerhouse.

just need an arena first and then an nhl team. easy.

no guarantees, so for now share the risk with the city and any other level of government who might see fit to reap their tax rewards when tickets start selling like hotcakes.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Melrose Munch

Split rogers and bell. One gets the leafs other Markham

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:45 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Split rogers and bell. One gets the leafs other Markham
Why the heck would they do that? I suspect that their 37% share of MLSE will be worth more than a Markham NHL team alone will ever be.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Why the heck would they do that? I suspect that their 37% share of MLSE will be worth more than a Markham NHL team alone will ever be.
I'm sure they could come up with a formula to make it work. If 37% of the Leafs is worth more than a Markham team, How about 30%, how about Tannenbaums share for a Markham team? Maybe 15%, 10%?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:16 PM
JMROWE

If they build that arena I doubt anybody can find away to make Markham work for an NHL. team because MLSE. will never allow another NHL. team in there market & if by some off chance they do MLSE. will demand huge money for there territory rights not mention the cost of the team it self on top of that could total in upwards of 700 million dollars & no one in there right mind would pay that amount of money for an NHL. team even in canada .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:18 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
i think it can and will work. and i think there are a few more billionaires in the area who might just have the hubris to think they can challenge the religion that is the toronto maple leafs. to ask if the market can support two gta teams is silly. of course it can. just tap into the new cosmopolitan market and you have an instant and modern powerhouse.

just need an arena first and then an nhl team. easy.

no guarantees, so for now share the risk with the city and any other level of government who might see fit to reap their tax rewards when tickets start selling like hotcakes.
There is a solid core of anti-Leaf GTAers who would gravitate to a new team. Also transplants from other parts of Canada would go to Markham to see their team as opposed to ACC

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
There is a solid core of anti-Leaf GTAers who would gravitate to a new team. Also transplants from other parts of Canada would go to Markham to see their team as opposed to ACC
I'd say there are more antileaf fans than Leaf fans in the GTA. No joke I'm serious.

Old
08-11-2012, 08:39 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I'd say there are more antileaf fans than Leaf fans in the GTA. No joke I'm serious.
I was talking to someone about that last night. When I lived in Toronto as a kid a lot of us were Oilers fans (pre-dynasty) and I was joking that I have been gone since 1984, been all over North America. The GTA and the world have changed dramatically since that point but one thing has remained the same and thats that the Leafs still suck

Old
08-12-2012, 07:48 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
I was talking to someone about that last night. When I lived in Toronto as a kid a lot of us were Oilers fans (pre-dynasty) and I was joking that I have been gone since 1984, been all over North America. The GTA and the world have changed dramatically since that point but one thing has remained the same and thats that the Leafs still suck
and yet they are the single most successful professional sports team in the history of this country and one of the most profitable in the entire world. funny that, eh?

ps, sold out games nite after nite, year after year have a lot more to do with the mythical, emotional, almost religious attachment that generations of fans have with the team than with the ease with which rich torontonians throw their entertainment (and/or schmoozing) dollars around.

its easy to say the leafs suck, and yes, performance on the ice isn't enviable, but it's overall a really silly to say. EVERY professional sports franchise in the world would kill to "suck" like the leafs.

Old
08-12-2012, 09:10 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
and yet they are the single most successful professional sports team in the history of this country and one of the most profitable in the entire world. funny that, eh?

ps, sold out games nite after nite, year after year have a lot more to do with the mythical, emotional, almost religious attachment that generations of fans have with the team than with the ease with which rich torontonians throw their entertainment (and/or schmoozing) dollars around.

its easy to say the leafs suck, and yes, performance on the ice isn't enviable, but it's overall a really silly to say. EVERY professional sports franchise in the world would kill to "suck" like the leafs.
Just because they generate the most revenue, does not mean they are the most successful, come on man...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:05 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Just because they generate the most revenue, does not mean they are the most successful, come on man...
Depends on how you define successful.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 10:32 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
No kidding...the big $$$ is nice for the organization, but surely the fans are aware of no playoffs for the past 6-7 yrs and no championships in the last 45 yrs or so...hard to make the most successful organization out of that scenario...

Old
08-12-2012, 11:15 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
indeed, and on who is doing the defining. this is a business of hockey forum afterall.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Confucius

Quote:
No kidding...the big $$$ is nice for the organization, but surely the fans are aware of no playoffs for the past 6-7 yrs and no championships in the last 45 yrs or so...hard to make the most successful organization out of that scenario...
Imagine the $$$$ if they were actually good for 4 or 5 years in a row. We think prices are outrageous now. Imagine how much most fans that have waited all their lives for a Cup. how much would they pay to be there?

Old
08-12-2012, 05:39 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Imagine the $$$$ if they were actually good for 4 or 5 years in a row. We think prices are outrageous now. Imagine how much most fans that have waited all their lives for a Cup. how much would they pay to be there?
Put a team in Markham, and the Leafs would have to lower prices...and put a better product on the ice...the competition could be good?

Old
08-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
If they make the playoffs, I think you'll see them come out of
hiding. I fully disagree with your assertion, I do agree, that it
seems that way right now.

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Put a team in Markham, and the Leafs would have to lower prices...and put a better product on the ice...the competition could be good?
The Leafs have no say over an NHL placement. What they would in this case, is make the rights financially untenable for any other franchise to set up in their area.

Craig Button said on Cybulski and friends, he says there is no situation that sees a 2nd team comes here.

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Melrose Munch

The leafs do what they do. I'm honestly shocked the Jays aren't as sucessful.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:44 PM
aqib

Quote:

When I say they suck I mean that in the nicest possible way

In football I am a diehard Browns fan, even wound up living in Cleveland for a stretch as a result. The Browns are like the Leafs of football. They play in a market where people eat, sleep, drink, and breathe their sport. They have the Hall of Fame. The region has produced many of the greats of they game. They sell out every game. They last won a title in the 60s. Its one reason I am not a Leafs fan. The heart can only take so much futility.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:58 PM
ThePuckBaron
Avalado Coloranch

I think if there ever is a team in Markham they will draw crowds that will be MUCH louder and rawkus than the current state of the ACC. Kinda like Winnipeg, there will be a new breed of fans looking to stick it to the Leafs for the years of price gouging and poor results by filling up th Markham arena and blowing the top off of it.

ThePuckBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 12:45 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
When I say they suck I mean that in the nicest possible way

In football I am a diehard Browns fan, even wound up living in Cleveland for a stretch as a result. The Browns are like the Leafs of football. They play in a market where people eat, sleep, drink, and breathe their sport. They have the Hall of Fame. The region has produced many of the greats of they game. They sell out every game. They last won a title in the 60s. Its one reason I am not a Leafs fan. The heart can only take so much futility.
It's only futility if you expect a championship. You watch and enjoy the regular season. If the team makes the playoffs, you watch and enjoy those. If the team wins the championship, that's a nice little bonus. But I see no reason to expect a championship or even to expect playoffs.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:08 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePuckBaron View Post
I think if there ever is a team in Markham they will draw crowds that will be MUCH louder and rawkus than the current state of the ACC. Kinda like Winnipeg, there will be a new breed of fans looking to stick it to the Leafs for the years of price gouging and poor results by filling up th Markham arena and blowing the top off of it.
i agree. there are a large number of corporate and old-boys STH at ACC, many of whom schmooze well into the 2nd and 3rd periods before emerging from their sub-platinum suites to bother watching the game. they are spirit killers. filling the lower bowl red-line with $1500 suits just doesn't inspire the working folks above.

like winnipeg, markham would presumably start with an open lottery for all STH. beer drinkers will have just as much chance as those reliant on their favourite sommeliers. folks wouldn't have to wait for uncle harold to die and leave them a pair in his will. yes, you think winnipeg's first standing O was long, just wait for markham's. or better yet, get ready for the hammer's.

Old
08-13-2012, 01:13 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePuckBaron View Post
Well, that's not really saying much, as even from Leafs fans I know have admitted that their atmosphere in the ACC kind of sucks due to the overwhelming number of corporate attendees that they've got that aren't really as many diehard fans in attendance as you'd see in other arenas.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Of course, I'd argue that there are five Canadian teams too many. I've never seen a reason for more than Toronto and Montreal; although, I might be willing to concede Vancouver.

And as a resident of Southwestern Ontario, I have no desire to see a team in Hamilton, Markham, or anywhere else.
But you want teams in the US? I am confused

bert is offline   Reply With Quote