HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers 'step up' offer for Bouwmeester

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-10-2012, 11:13 PM
  #176
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,170
vCash: 500
Really hoping he ends up in Philly.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:15 PM
  #177
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Don't see how the Preds could take in that much salary on two players.
Cap budget, barely at the floor.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:46 PM
  #178
BVicious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,237
vCash: 50
I swear 90% of the people at this site know NOTHING about the NHL. If the package isn't what Feaster wants, he doesn't trade him. No different than trading iggy for some maybe prospects and the 30th pick overall. You can't do that. Can't. That's why he isn't.

Flames don't need to trade him. Flames don't need to trade him. Flames don't need to trade him. Flames don't need to trade him.

So the Flames don't need to trade him, so unless they get the top 6 center + for him, he will not be traded.

Discuss the rumor, but stop looking like retards, acting like you know ANYTHING about running a Franchise.

lol I'd rather read Eklund and his silliness. He makes more sense than most of u.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:59 PM
  #179
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,581
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
I swear 90% of the people at this site know NOTHING about the NHL. If the package isn't what Feaster wants, he doesn't trade him. No different than trading iggy for some maybe prospects and the 30th pick overall. You can't do that. Can't. That's why he isn't.

Flames don't need to trade him. Flames don't need to trade him. Flames don't need to trade him. Flames don't need to trade him.

So the Flames don't need to trade him, so unless they get the top 6 center + for him, he will not be traded.

Discuss the rumor, but stop looking like retards, acting like you know ANYTHING about running a Franchise.

lol I'd rather read Eklund and his silliness. He makes more sense than most of u.
He was not a maybe prospect in my opinion, but how exactly did Iginla wind up on the Flames again? Some things being thrown out aren't maybe prospects they are guys with merit. Not all of them and I agree I have seen some bad proposals both ways from what the Flames want value wise to what other teams want to short change them with. But almost star caliber players are traded throughout history in the NHL for prospects and draft picks.

Serious question for Flames fans, is it ownership that is stopping the rebuild from taking place? Surely at some point in the last five years one of the two GM's has said maybe we should go that route and been shot down by ownership at least that is my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:08 AM
  #180
The Bored Man
#94
 
The Bored Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
Good to see the Calgary Herald jumping in with TSN using a terrible mlive article as their source.

Trade talks are heating up says random blogger!

I personally like how:

"The Red Wings are concerned Philadelphia will make a big pitch for Bouwmeester after Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros underwent surgery Tuesday to repair a torn Achilles tendon that will sideline for the season."

Has now become:

"According to the report, the Red Wings stepped up their interest in Bouwmeester after learning the Philadelphia Flyers could make an offer in the wake of losing rearguard Andrej Meszaros all of next season with a torn Achilles tendon."

If this game of telephone keeps going soon will start seeing reports of Z being offered for Jbo.
Yup, well said. That's modern journalism for ya.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:13 AM
  #181
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
A bust? He is a third liner center now, how is he a bust?
Whenever Calgary's awful drafting record is brought up Flame fans point to Backlund and say: "We have a stud right there" or "Backlund is a future #1 center", so yes he's a bust if 1st line center was the measuring stick. To be honest, Backlund falls right in line with Calgary's drafting record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
What's your definition of a "potential" top 6 center? IMO, that is exactly what Backlund should be classified. Key word being "potential".
Ah yes, that magical word on HFBoards, "Potential". We're 5 years removed from his draft, at this point we need to stop using that word. Backlund is what he is.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:20 AM
  #182
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Serious question for Flames fans, is it ownership that is stopping the rebuild from taking place? Surely at some point in the last five years one of the two GM's has said maybe we should go that route and been shot down by ownership at least that is my opinion.
No one knows for sure, but Feaster has stated on multiple occasions that his plan will change depending on the performance of the team. However I think it would be naive to think that the owners of the Flames do not have a MAJOR impact on the direction of the team.

Personally, I feel that the media has really over played the concept of a "rebuild" and made it a sexy topic to talk about. The Flames have never been run that way and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

While its not a scorch the earth rebuild, the Flames have been rebuilding for the last 2 seasons. We have significantly lowered our average age and increased our skill level. We have also tripled our scouting department so that we are on a level playing field with the other teams come draft day. The fruits of this new philosophy implemented by Feaster probably won't be seen for another 2-3 years. But to me its apparent that we are rebuilding on the fly while attempting to remain competitive in the interm.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:24 AM
  #183
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Ah yes, that magical word on HFBoards, "Potential". We're 5 years removed from his draft, at this point we need to stop using that word. Backlund is what he is.
Ya sure, whatever

Perhaps you should stick to what you know about if you want to come across as having any credibility.

Later..

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:39 AM
  #184
The Bored Man
#94
 
The Bored Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Ya sure, whatever

Perhaps you should stick to what you know about if you want to come across as having any credibility.

Later..
Nice rebuttal.


Last edited by The Bored Man: 08-11-2012 at 12:45 AM.
The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:41 AM
  #185
nik-
Registered User
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Nice rebuttal.
does the proclamation that a 23 year old player with less than 2 years worth of games in the NHL is never going to progress really deserve a well thought out rebuttal?

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:54 AM
  #186
The Bored Man
#94
 
The Bored Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,387
vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
does the proclamation that a 23 year old player with less than 2 years worth of games in the NHL is never going to progress really deserve a well thought out rebuttal?
He'll progress, but not to the standards being discussed. At 23 years old, a forward's offensive skills should be coming through. Give him another year if you like, but I don't see Backlund becoming a first line centre.

There are exceptions, the Sedins being the most famous ones, and defencemen and goalies are quite unpredictable. IMO, though, if you're still searching for a 23 year old, sub 0.4 pts/g forward to be a go-to-guy in the near future, then you're wasting your time.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:58 AM
  #187
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,346
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Let's make sure we are discussing the topic at hand and not going after one another. Only warning for this thread.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:06 AM
  #188
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
He'll progress, but not to the standards being discussed. At 23 years old, a forward's offensive skills should be coming through. Give him another year if you like, but I don't see Backlund becoming a first line centre.

There are exceptions, the Sedins being the most famous ones, and defencemen and goalies are quite unpredictable. IMO, though, if you're still searching for a 23 year old, sub 0.4 pts/g forward to be a go-to-guy in the near future, then you're wasting your time.
To set the record straight, at the time Backlund was drafted he was said to have the "ceiling" of a top line center, that is not to say he was a guarantee to get there. Most 1st round picks should that have ceiling, otherwise what's the point of selecting them there?

I don't think you will find any Flames poster's saying that we expect him to become that guy as of today. Is it possible he develops to become one, sure but I'd say its unlikely. I think most can look at his game and skillset and agree it is definitely not out of the question that he can become a good #2C. I don't know why people (not Flames posters) in this thread started bringing up past draft projections that have nothing to do with this thread.

No one is currently claiming as such, its just the usual attempt to bash the Flames at every given chance. Its actually become very comical to me.


Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 08-11-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:27 AM
  #189
JS19
Four Kicks
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 500
Now that the market seems to be booming on Bouwmeester due to desperation, what's the package we could expect for him?

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:35 AM
  #190
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
He'll progress, but not to the standards being discussed. At 23 years old, a forward's offensive skills should be coming through. Give him another year if you like, but I don't see Backlund becoming a first line centre.

There are exceptions, the Sedins being the most famous ones, and defencemen and goalies are quite unpredictable. IMO, though, if you're still searching for a 23 year old, sub 0.4 pts/g forward to be a go-to-guy in the near future, then you're wasting your time.
To set the record straight, at the time Backlund was drafted he was said to have the "ceiling" of a top line center, that is not to say he was a guarantee to get there. Most 1st round picks should that have ceiling, otherwise what's the point of selecting them there?

I don't think you will find any Flames poster's saying that we expect him to become that guy as of today. Is it possible he develops to become one, sure but I'd say its unlikely. I think most can look at his game and skillset and agree it is definitely not out of the question that he can become a good #2C. I don't know why people (not Flames posters) in this thread starting bringing up past draft projections that have nothing to do with this thread.

No one is currently claiming as such, its just the usual attempt to bash the Flames at every given chance. Its actually become very comical to me.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:35 AM
  #191
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,144
vCash: 500
There is no boom, it's August, the boom in desperation is for the media. He has a NTC, and Calgary never seems to want to get younger, long term, in a deal so the picks and prospects offers will probably fall short. Honestly all the teams that are mentioned don't even need him, they have a need he could fill. They're not desperate, or in a panic and most of them have a better chance to compete than Calgary on paper and according to the past 3 seasons. Losing Lidstrom and Suter is a big deal, getting Bouwmeester to replace them isn't, and it probably won't be until after December... if there isn't a lockout making all of this "oh noes we need ad revenue" journalism die out until something actually occurs.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:07 AM
  #192
nik-
Registered User
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
There is no boom, it's August, the boom in desperation is for the media. He has a NTC, and Calgary never seems to want to get younger, long term, in a deal so the picks and prospects offers will probably fall short. Honestly all the teams that are mentioned don't even need him, they have a need he could fill. They're not desperate, or in a panic and most of them have a better chance to compete than Calgary on paper and according to the past 3 seasons. Losing Lidstrom and Suter is a big deal, getting Bouwmeester to replace them isn't, and it probably won't be until after December... if there isn't a lockout making all of this "oh noes we need ad revenue" journalism die out until something actually occurs.
The Flames got younger this summer, and the summer before, but don't let facts get in the way of you clinging to your narrative.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:16 AM
  #193
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Boumeester to philly

1st + 3rd + Nick Cousins back to Calgary.

Get it done homer

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:38 AM
  #194
GTopCheese
Registered User
 
GTopCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,105
vCash: 500
^ I would forever consider Homer a god if he got that done.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:40 AM
  #195
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,048
vCash: 50
Can a mod change the title? The article says the flyers stepped up interest, not their offer

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:58 AM
  #196
LetsGoFlyers1825
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 762
vCash: 50
Can fellow Flyers fans talk me into wanting JayBo, and also tell me why it wouldnt be better to go the UFA route?

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:01 AM
  #197
Northern Heat
Registered User
 
Northern Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
C'Mon. Some of us have watched Backlund play. That top 6 center is only in your dreams.
I think this is the "make it or break it year for Backlund". With Sutter out of the scene and possibly consistent linemates, this coming year is his real chance to prove himself.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:41 AM
  #198
Tank To Win
Registered User
 
Tank To Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
Can fellow Flyers fans talk me into wanting JayBo, and also tell me why it wouldnt be better to go the UFA route?
Because now that Carle is gone, we need a new whipping boy back on the blueline.

Tank To Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:15 AM
  #199
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,775
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Link?
He openly talked about it in the TSN interview for the draft last year.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:04 AM
  #200
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
He was not a maybe prospect in my opinion, but how exactly did Iginla wind up on the Flames again? Some things being thrown out aren't maybe prospects they are guys with merit. Not all of them and I agree I have seen some bad proposals both ways from what the Flames want value wise to what other teams want to short change them with. But almost star caliber players are traded throughout history in the NHL for prospects and draft picks.
Joe Nieuwendyk was acquired by Dallas through trade, for a now player in Cory Millen, and a future player in Jarome Iginla. I don't see much more than that being asked for right now. It's not like Flames fans are asking for a proven first line center. They are asking for guys who have potential to possibly fill that role. The responses are extreme so Flames fans are responding with similar extreme, yet opposite, positions.

Take the Wings. The discussions have been on Filpulla and an assortment of prospects. "Flip" is a second line player, and not a proven first line talent, yet Wings fans are trying to sell him as such. That's your ussue, not Flames fans. Then when prospects are discussed anyone worth a damn is off limits and you're only willing to deal marginal long shot prospects rather than guys that have some serious ability, but years away from hitting that ceiling, if they ever hit it at all. Even those guys aren't worth alayer your team desperately needs. But the problem is with Flames fans and their expectations of what would be needed to move a defenseman that is a top pair player on almost any team in the league.

Quote:
Serious question for Flames fans, is it ownership that is stopping the rebuild from taking place? Surely at some point in the last five years one of the two GM's has said maybe we should go that route and been shot down by ownership at least that is my opinion.
The rebuild IS taking place. Older players are being moved out in favor of younger guys. Just because the team wants to remain competitive and not be a laughing stock like the Edmonton Oilers does not mean they are not rebuilding. A scorched earth philosophy is not required to rebuild the team. If you want to see where the team is headed all it takes is five minutes work with Cap Geek and a review of the moves Feaster has made. What Sutter did as GM is irrelevant. Just focus on what Feaster has done and you'll start to see where he is taking the team. It requires some critical thinking skills and some vision, which is why it is lost on the majority, but he is setting the team up for a transition that most would call a rebuild. Just because he has not moved the face of the franchise does not mean he has not begun the rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Whenever Calgary's awful drafting record is brought up Flame fans point to Backlund and say: "We have a stud right there" or "Backlund is a future #1 center", so yes he's a bust if 1st line center was the measuring stick. To be honest, Backlund falls right in line with Calgary's drafting record.
Calgary's drafting record is not awful. It has been terrible at finding top end talent, but that was the philosophy of Darryl Sutter. He wanted to bring in players that had a desire to play in the west and had character. The problem there was that Calgary was drafting late and never got a crack at top end guys, and Sutter refused to take chances in the draft. That has changed dramatically since Goulet and Wiesbrod took over the draft. They are drafting more skill and taking more calculated risks in their selections. That showed when four of their recent draft picks were in the top 20 scorers in the WHL this past season, and not one of them was an overager.

Backlund is doing fine. This past season was extremely disappointing, but that was because he broke his hand in the first week or two of the season and was then two months behind everyone and trying ti catch up without a new hand. Ask any skill player what it is like to come back from a hand injury and they will tell you it is brutal as your touch is different and things just don't feel right. It takes time for that to come back. I think this season will be the one where Backlund either establishes himself or becomes a third line defensive guy. It is all going to be about his hands and how that injury has healed.

Quote:
Ah yes, that magical word on HFBoards, "Potential". We're 5 years removed from his draft, at this point we need to stop using that word. Backlund is what he is.
Yet that's the same crap tossed around about trading prospects. This guy can't be moved because of his "potential." This other guy can't be moved because he's slowly coming on and not yet achieved his great "potential." Why is it that some guys, older than Backlund, get to use their potential as an excuse, but another guy, like Backlund, doesn't get that option? I guess it all depends what team you cheer for and how many fans are willing to repeat the same narrative to support that cause, becuase it isn't based on anything related to hockey or rational thought.


Last edited by CGYPUKSUX: 08-11-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: I believe the poster meant Joe Nieuwendyk
CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.